VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City!

104K views 342 replies 127 participants last post by  flygliii 
#1 ·
Drivers Wanted! That means ALL drivers including drivers of modified VW's. After a productive meeting with our service manager, Rick Arslanian, we want to assure all Drivers that you are welcome here at Boardwalk VW. Among other things, we want you to know we will never remove aftermarket parts from your car without your knowledge. If your aftermarket part is not causing the problem, then you warranty claim will not be affected. Please understand that in some instances, our hands are tied by VW as they are the ones paying your warranty claim not us (if your car is still under warranty). I am not a lawyer but you know there are somethings you just cannot do to your newer VW and expect VW to pay a claim if it directly affects another covered part! We're not talking about the obvious things. If there is a way to HELP YOU OUT and we can work things out in your favor then it is in our best interest to do so. If something is on the border line, we are going to FIND a way to make you happy without lying or cheating VW, or compromising your safety.
Bottom line is, we want the opportunity to earn your service business and future sales business. You can be confident there is an atmosphere of appreciation for the opportunity to serve you here. Things won't always be perfect, but we're looking for a way make it work, not the other way around. It's all in how you look at things! So , yes, we are a MOD FRIENDLY DEALERSHIP!!
We welcome your feedback!
Abdul Muttalib
Internet Sales Manager
Boardwalk VW
Redwood City, CA
Direct: 650-568-5215
amuttalib@bwalkauto.com
Rick Arslanian
Service Director
Boardwalk VW, Jeep, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Lotus, Nissan
Direct: 650-568-5290
rarslanian@bwalkauto.com

See less See more
#77 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (Spider R)

Quote, originally posted by Spider R »
Excuse my post about meeting Finn. I took my R the other day to Boardwalk and waited to have my TST stressbar installed. They acted very friendly but refused to install my stressbrace because of voiding my warranty. So I double checked my appointment and found out I was on crack and GLADLY took my car to Finn where they had no problems addressing my mod. - Mod-friendly?

That's odd...I'm suprised they didn't install that. Who was your SA?

#79 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (snohobo)

Quote, originally posted by snohobo »
Hi Brandon -
It's great to hear all of this. I've been looking to get my car serviced somewhere soon - and close.
I have a 98 Jetta GL, with 97,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with it per se - but I'd love to get it checked out before the 100/10 drivetrain warranty runs out.
I'm sure a routine inspection by your techs might turn something up that could come up under warranty.
What is the best course of action to have your guys inspect my car?
Is there an inspection of some sort I pay for?
Thanks in advance and kudos to good service.
Shaun

Hi - never got an answer.
Is there some sort of inspection that the techs can perform to uncover any issues?
Thanks,
Shaun

#80 ·

Quote, originally posted by snohobo »

Hi - never got an answer.
Is there some sort of inspection that the techs can perform to uncover any issues?
Thanks,
Shaun

I'm sorry bud, I missed that somehow.
s on me tonight...
We can run a diagnostic on the car, and one of the service advisers said it should run around $100. Cheap insurance IMO if you are going to be out of warranty soon.
If you need work done after your warranty is up, PM me as I have a few good places I know of that do good work.

#82 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (flyingfinn)

just did my 25k service here if you can call it that. i had my tires rotated, rsb greased, brake fluid flushed, antenna rattle fixed and rear windshield wiper spray fixed. i did everything except change the oil which i have changed every 3.5k miles. everything came out to be $150.
the antenna rattle and windshield wiper spray were fixed under warranty.
i was very happy w/ the work and bob was very friendly and knowledgeable (although he quoted me a lot initially which really scared me). http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
thanks to brendon for his quick responses.

jerv

#84 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (Brendan@bwalkauto)

Brendan -
You mentioned having some recos on shops that will perform work out of warranty. I went to Boardwalk - met Bob - had a great experience - but would like to get my work done at a more economical place.
Any recos in SF or around?
I need new brakes, new rear wheel bearings, oil change, new drive belts.
Thanks

#85 ·

My roommate works at a Precision Tune in Palo Alto off El Camino and Arastadero. I trust him to work on my cars, and he does good work. No nonsense guy who can save you a lot of money by not throwing parts at a problem.
If you call in, ask for Brian.

#86 ·

I brought my car there last week... talked to Steve the mechanic there... really cool guy... so is joel... and all the parts guys... I still need to bring my car back because i never got my car fixed... I actually ended up paying 100 to get my hood working and popping open again... I was told it might cost me 450 to diagnose my car from some newbie that works there... I think i just gotta talk to Joel, Jarred, and Steve... When my car was in there last week... I was told the forman couldnt find the issue with my car... but when I spoke to steve the day before... he found it in the first 20 secs... I still have my 7 year extended warrenty... hopefully it covers fixing a damn relay... or contact on the turn switch... I'll keep you all updated this week when I go...

#87 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (Hexone)

Talk with Joel; that guy works wonders for me all the time. One of our best SA's across the board.
I'm glad they are handling you well. Pop by new car sales and say hi next time you are in the area.

#90 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (Hexone)

Quote, originally posted by Hexone »
Truely Mod Friendly!... talk to Brendan if you want to buy a car... talk to Joel if you need repairs! ... from parts to sales to service... all A+ ...

Now all we need is Patricks R32.
Is it August yet?

#95 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (ABTMuDa)

Quote, originally posted by ABTMuDa »
Service
The fact that they blame you for causing the problem before even looking at the car is just absurd. (Stock car)
Every time I went there and talk to ---, he ruined my day.

Sorry, I didn't see one. Who did you talk to, and what was the story behind it all? I might be able to get a lot of it cleared up for you.

#96 ·

Well, I brought my Passat into Broadwalk last week for warranty work and was hoping to post some good news here, but recent events have me questioning my decision to do so.
My car is a 2005 Passat TDI with 33k miles. A week and half ago, I was slowly entering highway 92 from El Camino Real in heavy traffic when I suddenly heard a pop, lost all power, and saw tons of white smoke coming out the back of my car. I quickly pulled over and shut the car down. I had the car towed back to my house to access the problem. A quick check of the dipstick saw that there was no oil. My assessment and followup from the folks at TDIClub was that a seal on the turbo had blown and the oil got sucked out through the exhaust, resulting in the white smoke cloud. Vag Com shows no codes thrown. I don't use any biodiesel, just regular diesel.
This past Weds, I finally got the time to get the car towed to Boardwalk VW, based on the feedback here. I had Joel check the car in. On Friday, Boardwalk called and said they think the problem is contaminated fuel (oil mixed in with diesel) and not the turbo. I really couldn't believe my ears given the symptoms I described above. They wanted to charge me to drain the tank and change the fuel filter, believing that was the problem. They explained that's why there was white smoke coming out the exhaust.
There was no talk of any sample fuel being pulled and tested to prove there was fuel contamination. In addition, on a TDI, when white smoke
comes pouring out the exhaust, it's because oil is being dumped onto the hot exhaust after the turbo blew, causing oil to get pass to the turbo seal. I think the tech at Boardwalk is fishing and has no idea what is wrong with the car. There should be oil in the exhaust system so he should check for that and he could have also checked the intercooler for oil, or disconnect the intake hose going to the intake manifold or the pressure side of the turbo. If it's full of oil, it sure didn't come from the contaminated fuel. The fuel goes directly into the cylinders, and never pre-intake manifold. None of this was done.
I am wondering if Boardwalk has any techs who really know how to work on my TDI. This is clearly a warranty issue (car has no mods), but it is looking like they want me to foot the bill since they want me to pay for this oil contamination guesswork.
I'm very tempted to tow the car out of there and have it delivered to another dealership.
So Brendan, should I be worried? Is my car going to be fixed correctly and under warranty as I think it should? Right now, I don't have the confidence that Boardwalk will do the right thing...

#97 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (dlai)

I'm really suprised by all of this. I'll track this down tomorrow when I am at work, and see what I can come up with for you. Our guys are usually on the ball, so I am suprised by this to say the least.

#99 ·

Brendan: After working with Joel, it looks like the repairs will be covered under warranty, which is great news. I had emailed Joel some info that I asked to be passed on the tech who will be working on my car. I am requesting that he remove all boost plumbing and intercooler and clean out any oil in them to prevent any hydolocking of the engine after things are put back together. It would also be great if he could replace the exhaust since the cat is probably soaked in oil, and replace the oil feed line. Lastly, and this is very important, he should run a compression check after things are put back together to make sure there are no bent rods.
If you could make sure that email is passed on the the tech and the tech does those steps outlined above, that would be great.
I really appreciate your help in getting my car back on the road and to Boardwalk for stepping up and getting things done.

#101 ·
Re: Mod Friendly Service @ Boardwalk VW in Redwood City! (dlai)

Quote, originally posted by dlai »
Brendan: After working with Joel, it looks like the repairs will be covered under warranty, which is great news. I had emailed Joel some info that I asked to be passed on the tech who will be working on my car. I am requesting that he remove all boost plumbing and intercooler and clean out any oil in them to prevent any hydolocking of the engine after things are put back together. It would also be great if he could replace the exhaust since the cat is probably soaked in oil, and replace the oil feed line. Lastly, and this is very important, he should run a compression check after things are put back together to make sure there are no bent rods.
If you could make sure that email is passed on the the tech and the tech does those steps outlined above, that would be great.
I really appreciate your help in getting my car back on the road and to Boardwalk for stepping up and getting things done.

They are about done for the day, but I'll be in the office soon, and I'll follow up with Joel. I'm glad they got you taken care of, and if you need anything, you know where to find me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.