VWVortex.com - Pontiac Fiero appreciation thread - America's only mid engine car to date.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontiac Fiero appreciation thread - America's only mid engine car to date.

1. 03-08-2005 12:51 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by Gateway »
      Nice^^^^^ [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Did you know?
      The Fiero is currently supported by one of the most active on-line communities. It is claimed that there are more Fiero websites than all that Mustang, Corvette and GTO supporters can muster combined!

Source?
      Not doubting... but if I had to guess, than I would say that there are more Mustang, Corvette & GTO websites than there are Fiero owners.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned
      03-08-2005 12:56 PM #52
      Quote, originally posted by Bishop »
      Source?

I can't find the link now... I have to head to work, i'll find it when i get home and post it.

4. 03-08-2005 01:00 PM #53
      I can't find the link now... I have to head to work, i'll find it when i get home and post it.

Well, until then, you are a filthy liar
      (just kidding. )

5. 03-08-2005 01:17 PM #54
      Anyone else think the fastback Fiero is one of the best looking American cars?

6. 03-08-2005 01:55 PM #55

I have since changed the intercooler setup, and I'm building a new engine right now. I have always been a big VW fan, though -- My first car was a 87 Scirocco and now I have an 88 GTI 16v

--470hp 450tq Fiero

7. 03-08-2005 01:58 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by bryson »

I have since changed the intercooler setup, and I'm building a new engine right now. I have always been a big VW fan, though -- My first car was a 87 Scirocco and now I have an 88 GTI 16v

--470hp 450tq Fiero

Thanks for the post, but we are definitely going to require more pics and info on this beast.

8. 03-08-2005 02:18 PM #57
      Quote, originally posted by quazar311 »
      My best friend had a GT in high school and another friend's mom had the Pace Car one....
      Both caught fire in the engine bay.

My ex had one in high school (1994ish), her's caught fire too.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      03-08-2005 02:29 PM #58
      I wouldn't call it the BEST looking American car, but the end-of-the-line Fiero GT, with the "flying buttress" roofline, is totally underrated for its great styling, IMO. Let's put it this way: If these cars had originated from one of Yurrup's holy sanctums of automotive wonderfulness, they would be perched upon an alabaster pedestal, just like all other Yurr-oh-PEE-in cars, regardless of whether or not said Yurroh-car is actually, in all truthfulness, a steaming, fetid TURD of a car.
      Ah the self-loathing we Americans indulge ourselves in never ceases to amaze me, along with the absolute blind, slavish and snobbish canonization of EVERYTHING on four wheels coming out of the Olde Country.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

10. 03-08-2005 03:08 PM #59
      Another "Did you know?" about the Fiero:
      It caught Toyota totally by surprise when it was introduced just months before the Mk 1 MR2.
      Toyota was all like "Dude, we are totally gonna rawk the competition when we show the world our little MR runabout. w00t!" and then all of sudden "Oh snap, Pontiac beat us to it! Dayum!" (All this was in Japanese, BTW.)

11. 03-08-2005 03:20 PM #60
      OK--someone give me the heads up on how to post pictures on here.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 WRX, 2003 Eurovan Westfalia
      03-08-2005 03:27 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by MstangsBware »
      Well its good to see another forum talking about the Fiero and not running them into the ground. They are just like any other car they have had there problems and can be junk if there not taken care of. I currently own 4 88 Fieros, 2 of them GTs and the other 2 Coupes...

Now that's dedication...you may be the only man in history to have purchased four Fieros

13. 03-08-2005 03:56 PM #62
      What I didn't like about the Fiero was the interior:

And then there was the 85 mph speedo:

Nifty cars, though. Wish GM had kept building them.

Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000, 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
      03-08-2005 04:13 PM #63
      Some more love...
      Imagine pulling up to a gas station and a whole bunch of them...

Were there two generations of the Fiero? Or just a different look for the GT? The red one at the end of the line has different tail lights than the white one in front of it. What engines were offered? I know the inline 4 was the same 2.5L "iron horse" or whatever that I had in my '86 olds.
      My uncle had a black one that looked like the red one at the end of the line. He fell asleep at the wheel and ran it in to the back of a truck totalling it...too bad. He was okay, though.

15. 03-08-2005 06:26 PM #64
      Quote, originally posted by VWteknik »
      Classic GM, unfortunately. The car gets off to a shaky start, gains a bad rep with people not much into cars, they fix the problems (that should have NEVER existed in the first place), build a very good car that would really be a world beater if not for its reputation, then scratch their heads as to why no one would want to buy the corrected version of the thing in the first freaking model year post-bad publicity, then can the whole thing and blame it on anything but the true cause.
      Not a rant. I love A LOT of GM's products, and I feel its important they recognize that pattern so cars like the Solstice last a long, long time, and cars like the Aztek and LaCrosse cease to exist.
      The only good thing that comes from it is there are a few little odd gems floating around that you can pick up for so cheap it ain't even funny, all because their predecessors gave the name a bad rep.

What was also a shame was the Fiero had a lot of press and momentum behind it at release. People were talking about this car and the mainstream press was reporting on it. The stage was set for this car to be a great success, if the suspension and engine had been addressed prior to it's release. GM really missed a fantastic opportunity.

16. 03-08-2005 06:47 PM #65
      So what were the suspension and engine issues that gave the Fiero such a bad rep?

Vehicles
      '16 Chevrolet Malibu LT
      03-08-2005 06:55 PM #66
      Quote, originally posted by VWteknik »
      Not a rant. I love A LOT of GM's products, and I feel its important they recognize that pattern so cars like the Solstice last a long, long time, and cars like the Aztek and LaCrosse cease to exist.

What's so horribly wrong about the Aztek and LaCrosse?
      Aztek is ugy, that's all I can think of. LaCrosse/Allure, I can't even think of anything at all.
      2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT | 2008 Saturn Astra XE 5dr
      I want a GMC Canyon up there ^^^ ASAP!
       Posted via MacBook Pro or Mac Mini, running OS X Mavericks  HP Envy 13 or Mini Note 2140, powered by ​

Vehicles
      '16 Chevrolet Malibu LT
      03-08-2005 06:59 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by jastevenson »
      So what were the suspension and engine issues that gave the Fiero such a bad rep?

I've heard that they loved to spontaneously combust... for one thing
      Quote, originally posted by nub0w »
      The Fire-o.

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT | 2008 Saturn Astra XE 5dr
      I want a GMC Canyon up there ^^^ ASAP!
       Posted via MacBook Pro or Mac Mini, running OS X Mavericks  HP Envy 13 or Mini Note 2140, powered by ​

19. 03-08-2005 08:02 PM #68
      Well to follow up with a few of the other post to answer a few of the questions. I only own 4 88 Fieros, there are many ppl that own way more but I am %100 dedicated to the Fiero. It has been my daily driver for the past 6 six years and will continue to be. The 2 differant body style Fieros pictured above where the GT and the Coupe body. The Gt having the sloped back and the Coupe haveing the notchback. You could get the Notchback with the aero package making it have the same body panels and fasicias as a GT. The suspension was changed on the Fiero in 88, the same year the car was canned, all pre-88 cars use the same suspenion. The 84's were the known fireballs becasue of the 2.5 blocks GM used. Other year Fieros have caught of fire also but just like any other car, if they are not well maintained then this can happen. The 90 prototype that came out was going to be the turnning point for the Fiero but as everyone knows, it didnt make it. Also the 85 MPH gauge came in the 4 cylinder cars and V-6 cars up till 86 I beleive after that the V-6 cars went to 120 MPH gauges.

Modified by MstangsBware at 5:04 PM 3-8-2005

20. 03-08-2005 08:37 PM #69

did a tvr and a lotus have sex or something? in any case, i likey [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] . just paint it alpine white and im happy

21. 03-08-2005 09:15 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by MstangsBware »
      Its an L-67/4T65EHD

Couple of questions. What car is this engine and tranny originally from?
      Also, what size V6 did it have? How much HP?
      Any pics or info on the '90 prototype? I would like to see a picture of it if you could post a link.

22. 03-08-2005 10:50 PM #71
      Thanks! The car is an '88 GT, with the 2.3L Olds Quad4 engine. I built the engine with 8.5:1 compression, and am running a T3/T04E on a tubular header that I made from 304ss mandrel bends (with a merge collector ) I'm also running an Electromotive TEC3 ECU. I've got a new motor in the works, and I hope to have it in soon

23. 03-08-2005 10:57 PM #72
      The L-67/4T65EHD came from a Pontiac GTP and also came in the bigger Buicks. The factory HP for the L-67 is 240 HP but can be boosted very easly with the many bolt ons avaliable out there. The original motor was 2.8 bolts to a 5 speed Getrag and was rated at 130-140 HP. The 2.8 was a quick motor for its time but is no competition these days. There have been many differant Hybrid installs done to the Fiero including the SBC, N*,Short*, L-67, LT1 and the list goes on. I dont know alot about the 90 Prototype but here is a link I found with some pictures, more info can be found by Googling it.

Vehicles
      1998 Pelican Blue Audi A4Q Sport
      06-26-2005 11:50 AM #73
      I've had 3.
      An '85 GT 4sp white
      An '84 SE chassis (had a clean title)
      And an '85 2M6 SE.
      When the motor blew in my first one (I think it was going bad when I bought it), I bought a 3.4 TDC motor (and complete swap kit), complete suspension, solid chassis bushings, and a ton of other parts for it to make it a really wonderful car.
      When we removed the upper rear bodywork for the swap, we found the frame rails rusted through.
      Spent months looking at that everyday before I bought the clean chassis listed above to swap everything on to.
      Spent months looking at that project all spread out before I realized it was over my head.

LOVE those cars! Don't know how I missed this thread.
      Here's my son a couple years ago learning the basics of proper Fiero-service posture.

And whoever asked about Fiero Prototypes...

This was the '89 prototype, very similar to the '90. Can't find a good pic of the '90 right now, but it was awesome!

25. Banned
      06-26-2005 12:08 PM #74
      Those are some of the best photos i've seen so far of the Prototypes. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Now, more Fiero love....

26. Banned
      06-26-2005 12:17 PM #75
      Thanks Triad, now i have a bad case of Fiero fever! I love GT's...

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast