VWVortex.com - Removing Airbag..
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Removing Airbag..

1. 06-06-2005 11:42 AM #1
      I know this topic has been covered before, but my search has come up with conflicting reports.
      I am faced with having to remove my steering wheel to replace the ign switch and since I have to pull the airbag unit, I was thinking I'd leave it out. However some posts report that if you do that the car won't start.
      So what gives, I know the procedure to remove the airbag (Disconnect battery for 1 hour, undo bolts, unplug, throw out window and pray it don't go boom ) How do I rig the car so that it will start even with the bag out...I figure I'll obtain a Mk1 Rocco (1970's) steering wheel or a 89 cabby wheel sometime in the futire and then deal with the spacer crud...
      Or I can always reinstall the Airbag, but those things scare me

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 08-04-2005 03:35 PM #2
      the 6 pin connector has 2 black wires.. jump them and its covered
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2112250
      thanks to ron

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      08-04-2005 11:56 PM #3
      Marc,
      Jeez, I gotta hurry up, you're 284 posts ahead of me.
      One of my three favorite topics, airbag removal, AC removal and oil light problems!!
      I've just elaborated some more on the airbag wiring bypass over in the thread Mike just referred to above, get out your Bentley and follow along.
      I have a late '70s, early '80s 'rocco wheel on my '92, I like it a lot, the conversion is fairly fresh in my mind's eye.
      The spacer crud is all too easy to deal with, you do need to find a donor car, any pre-airbag A1 will do.
      On the donor, go in like you are after the ignition switch, but instead of pulling the ignition lock housing off of the column shaft, remove the pinch bolt at the bottom of the column shaft where it connects to the lower steering shaft's upper u-joint and pull the whole column shaft, upper spacers and all.
      From the donor, release the locking tab that holds the brown horn wire into the combination switch plug, remove that connector and a foot or so of the brown horn wire. Plug that tab into the same location in your car's harness which will be blank because your car had an airbag. Splice it to the horn wire that used to feed through the clock spring.
      You'll also need at least the combo switch with the horn contact, sorry I don't recall if it's the wiper or turn signal section, I just swapped the pair.
      Ron

The splice.......

Modified by tolusina at 9:40 PM 4-11-2008
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

5. 08-05-2005 12:28 AM #4
      LOL, thanks Ron

Anyway, I'm going to leave my airbag alone for now, I want to get the car running before i start ripping her apart again ..but that is a great writeup [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      08-05-2005 01:21 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by tolusina »
      You'll also need at least the combo switch with the horn contact, sorry I don't recall if it's the wiper or turn signal section, I just swapped the pair.
      Ron

Its the turn signal stalk
      Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      08-05-2005 01:36 AM #6
      George,
      Could you post that pic of the stuff I sent you please? It pretty well shows all the stuff that needs to be removed, then replaced with earlier components.
      Thanks,
      Ron
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      08-05-2005 01:47 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by tolusina »
      George,
      Could you post that pic of the stuff I sent you please? It pretty well shows all the stuff that needs to be removed, then replaced with earlier components.
      Thanks,
      Ron

Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com