VWVortex.com - DIY: Rear O2 Sensor Fix! (With More Pictures)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Rear O2 Sensor Fix! (With More Pictures)

1. 12-28-2005 06:03 PM #1
      Well I was reading through, kdub790's DIY on this and I understood it but not that many people did, so I decided to write my own up using his information but with more pictures of course.....
      Picture of the car with the rear o2 sensor problem:

Tools needed:
      - Dremel with a sanding/grinding bit.
      - Socket wrench with a 10mm bit, you might need an extension.
      - Adjustable open ended wrench.
      - Drill with a 1/2" drill bit, nothing bigger.
      - 42002 and 42009 by Motormite, they are spark plug non-foulers (Costed $3.99 a package at my local AutoZone YMMV)

Now you can start
      1. I would suggest you raise your car with something other than the scissor jack, although I am cheap and thats what I used. MAKE SURE IN ANY INSTANCE YOU USE JACK STANDS!!!!

2. Once the car is secure, get under your car and locate the AFTER cat, oxygen sensor.

3. Use the 10mm socket and remove the two plastic nuts that hold the black box to the car.

4. Once removed the box should look something like this, clip all of the zip ties so you can unplug the rear o2 sensor and take it off of the car.

5. Now that all the wires are loose it will be MUCH easier to remove the o2 sensor from the downpipe. Get the adjustable open ended wrench and work your magic on removing the o2 sensor. Be careful not to strip the o2 sensor.

6. Once you get the o2 sensor out of the downpipe, unplug it from the black box, and have it handy when you drill part 42002 out.
      7. Grab only one of the 42002 pieces, it should be the longer of the two. Take your drill with the 1/2" bit and drill straight through the part. The 1/2" drill bit will not take care of everything but it will noticably make it easier on you. Take the Dremel and make the hole bigger, that you just have drilled. Keep testing the o2 sensor in the piece until it fits nicely. Once you are all done it should look like this:

8. After you get the piece to fit correctly over the o2 sensor, screw it on and make sure it is snug. Then take one of the 42009 pieces and screw it onto the end so it looks like so, make sure the 42009 has a crush washer on it:

9. With that all said and done you can put that back into the hole for the o2 sensor, and tighten everything back up, here is what it looks like when the o2 sensor is back in the hole:

10. When completely tight, you can start reassembling everything back together, and zip tieing the wires how they were. With all that done the finished product should look just like this:

Thanks to kdub790, for the inital write-up, for this non-permanent fix!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

12-28-2005 06:08 PM #2
      Did it work for you?

4. 12-28-2005 06:12 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Hetzen »
      Did it work for you?

Speaking of working, are you at home, I need you to clear the code!

12-28-2005 06:19 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by SuperSrbin »
      Speaking of working, are you at home, I need you to clear the code!

Yes I am.

6. 12-28-2005 06:49 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Hetzen »
      Yes I am.

Alrighty lover, ill give you a call in a bit, first gotta stop by my aunts house in Lincolnwood for her birthday then Ill holler at you!

12-28-2005 07:40 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by SuperSrbin »
      Alrighty lover, ill give you a call in a bit, first gotta stop by my aunts house in Lincolnwood for her birthday then Ill holler at you!

Sure thing kochanie

Vehicles
      VW 04.5 GLI Blue Lagoon
      12-28-2005 07:55 PM #7
      Awesome writeup.. I would have had to do this, had I not had my APR dealer put the test pipe program on my ride.. props though [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      S1, mk1, mk4, T3 "free candy" edition
      12-29-2005 01:46 AM #8
      i am glad you did this....i was not too clear on the previous write up either. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      12-29-2005 01:52 AM #9
      Great DIY. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

11. 12-29-2005 04:47 AM #10
      Glad this helps!

Vehicles
      Green bicycle, white bicycle
      03-08-2006 01:36 AM #11
      thanks mike. i'll be doing this soon.

Vehicles
      1985 GTi VR6'ed 1973 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL 1990 16v GLi
      03-09-2006 08:41 AM #12
      posting for bookmark, I'll be doing this mod on saturday...

Thanks! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      (just because I got a new o2 sensor anyway, vag-com says boo!!!!)

14. 03-09-2006 08:08 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by cort_337_ »
      posting for bookmark, I'll be doing this mod on saturday...

Thanks! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      (just because I got a new o2 sensor anyway, vag-com says boo!!!!)

Thats funny, I'll be doing this Saturday too.

15. 03-10-2006 02:32 PM #14
      im buying a wicked tuning TB exhaust tomorrow so when i install it should i just put the exhaust on and not worry about doing this until i get a check engine light? or should i just do it now and save me a headache? im just worried that if i do it right away ill get a cel

Vehicles
      '13 CSG Golf R
      03-10-2006 02:44 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by soiledxdesire »
      im buying a wicked tuning TB exhaust tomorrow so when i install it should i just put the exhaust on and not worry about doing this until i get a check engine light? or should i just do it now and save me a headache? im just worried that if i do it right away ill get a cel

Ya wanna go in on it together??? Since that Buffalo Wild Wings GTG, I've been considering doing this. You get 2 of every thing. LMK!
      I think I need to do this before my emission test (whenever the heck that is). I dunno if VAG-comming your ECU before the test works or not.
      My CEL got so sick of being ignored, it shut off on its own after awhile.
      (It is also a coincidence I'm a REAL doctor. Dr Hank McCoy is Beast from X-men. Who is Nog Blue, like my old S4 )

My ex's: '95 GTI VR6, '03 GTI 20AE, '00 S4, Subaru Forester XTi, Hyundai Sonata, '11 GTI

17. 03-10-2006 03:12 PM #16
      what do you mean go in on it together? you want me to order 2 systems tomorrow? and just buy 2 of each of the spark plug fowlers?

Vehicles
      '13 CSG Golf R
      03-10-2006 03:26 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by soiledxdesire »
      what do you mean go in on it together? you want me to order 2 systems tomorrow? and just buy 2 of each of the spark plug fowlers?

Instead of ME buying a set of fowlers, and YOU buying a set of fowlers, just one of us should since there's 2/pack.
      (It is also a coincidence I'm a REAL doctor. Dr Hank McCoy is Beast from X-men. Who is Nog Blue, like my old S4 )

My ex's: '95 GTI VR6, '03 GTI 20AE, '00 S4, Subaru Forester XTi, Hyundai Sonata, '11 GTI

19. 03-10-2006 03:50 PM #18
      ohhhhh yeah no prob i get a discount at work (pepboys part time) ill pick them up monday and we can meet up whenever

Vehicles
      BMP 20th AE GTI (SOLD!), 2013 Audi S4 Prestige
      03-10-2006 07:56 PM #19
      Did this trick for a while. Unfortunately the quality of the metal used to make the non-foulers is garbage. They'll start to corrode after a while. Since you have to drill the one non-fouler almost completely out allow the O2 sensor to fit in it, it might become loose after some time when the metal starts to corrode. This happened to me. After about 5 months the non-fouler where barely being held in the exhaust. I checked because the CEL came on after about the 5 months. If you keep this setup, make sure you thoroughly paint the nonfoulers (once in the bung) with BBQ paint or some other high temp corrosion resistent paint.

Vehicles
      Green bicycle, white bicycle
      03-11-2006 03:54 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Neufurstenhutte »
      Did this trick for a while. Unfortunately the quality of the metal used to make the non-foulers is garbage. They'll start to corrode after a while. Since you have to drill the one non-fouler almost completely out allow the O2 sensor to fit in it, it might become loose after some time when the metal starts to corrode. This happened to me. After about 5 months the non-fouler where barely being held in the exhaust. I checked because the CEL came on after about the 5 months. If you keep this setup, make sure you thoroughly paint the nonfoulers (once in the bung) with BBQ paint or some other high temp corrosion resistent paint.

good tip. thanks man. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2010 A4 Prestige S Line, MKIII Jetta GLX
      03-11-2006 12:50 PM #21
      This is an awesome DIY. I'm always glad to see how motivated, creative and resourceful many Dubbers are. However, it really disgusts me that GHL has not offered a solution to this. Knowing that this issue exists with their product they should offer the extension. They might be inclined to resolve the issue if Dubbers stopped purchasing their products.

Vehicles
      '11 F25 X3 GONE: '05 BMP GLI '82 Quantum, '96 Trek, '04 A4Q, '84 Rabbit
      04-03-2006 11:57 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by DTMVDUB »
      GHL has not offered a solution to this. They might resolve the issue if Dubbers stopped purchasing their products.

Yeah good luck with that... Let's picket...

04-03-2006 11:59 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by DTMVDUB »
      This is an awesome DIY. I'm always glad to see how motivated, creative and resourceful many Dubbers are. However, it really disgusts me that GHL has not offered a solution to this. Knowing that this issue exists with their product they should offer the extension. They might be inclined to resolve the issue if Dubbers stopped purchasing their products.

every downpipe has this. You mod with a risk. Don't like risks, don't mod.

25. 10-07-2006 06:15 AM #24
      no more pics!

Vehicles
      04 GLI 24V
      07-23-2008 12:48 PM #25
      Damn what happened to the pics? need to do this myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast