VWVortex.com - MK2 TDI SWAP
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK2 TDI SWAP

1. 01-26-2006 02:34 PM #1
      I was wondering what is the best TDi to put into a MK2 jetta?? Also if you could post up reasons on your choice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Eurovan Westy TDI, 1996 Golf TDI, 1997 Golf Variant Syncro TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2014 GSW TDI
      01-26-2006 05:09 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by RobVandal »
      I was wondering what is the best TDi to put into a MK2 jetta?? Also if you could post up reasons on your choice.

Got a budget?
      What horsepower and torque #s are you looking for?
      If you want VR6 horsepower (approx. 155 at the wheels) and more torque (above 200lb-ft) then I strongly suggest a MKIII TDI.
      Simply upgrade the turbo to a Garrett T3 or a KKK K24 off a MK2 1.6TD. The K24 is efficient up to around 24 PSI.
      A local MKIII Jetta TDI running the aforementioned setup dynoed 152whp at 18 to 20 PSI. We have 1.6TDs everywhere here and their turbos are inexpensive to buy or to rebuild. No need to buy a fancy VNT (turbo) from Europe for a MKIV TDI.
      Upgrade the injector nozzles (to minimum 0.216) and get a good chip. Upsolute Stage 3 chip may be the closest match for your application (that's what the aforementioned MKIII Jetta has) or I could write a custom chip for you. AFAIK I'm the only tuner in North America who can immediately customize a chip for this application. The Up Stage 3 chip stops at 4,500 RPM and it isn't as linear as it should be, so he's looking to get my chip as well.
      The MKIII TDI is also easier to swap into the MKII.
      Overall for 155whp and a decent amount of torque you'll save lots of money & time by going MKIII TDI instead of MKIV.
      More power is still possible if you upgrade intercooler, exhaust, and maybe the turbo...
      If you must get a MKIV TDI, use electronics from '98 to '99.4 (MKIV type) so you won't be challenged by the ECU's immobilizer.

Modified by Malone at 8:53 AM 1-30-2006

4. 01-26-2006 11:07 PM #3
      mk3 int0 mk2 is probably the easiest. thats the route i'm goin'!!
      bought this:

to put in this:
      "drop it like its hot"

Main man at Punch Drunk Customs

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 01-26-2006 11:52 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Malone »
      Got a budget?
      What kind of horsepower and torque are you looking for?
      If you want VR6 horsepower (approx. 155 at the wheels) and more torque (above 200lb-ft) then I strongly suggest a MKIII TDI.
      Simply upgrade the turbo to a Garrett T3 or a KKK K24 off a MK2 1.6TD. The K24 is efficient up to around 24 PSI.
      A local MKIII Jetta TDI running the aforementioned setup dynoed 152whp at 18 to 20 PSI. We have 1.6TDs everywhere here and their turbos are inexpensive to buy or to rebuild. No need to buy a fancy VNT (turbo) from Europe for a MKIV TDI.
      Upgrade the injector nozzles (to minimum 0.216) and get a good chip. Upsolute Stage 3 chip may be the closest match for your application (that's what the aforementioned MKIII Jetta has) or I could write a custom chip for you. AFAIK I'm the only tuner in North America who can immediately customize a chip for this application. The Up Stage 3 chip stops at 4,500 RPM and it isn't as linear as it should be, so he's looking to get my chip as well.
      The MKIII TDI is also easier to swap into the MKII.
      Overall for 155whp and a decent amount of torque you'll save lots of money & time by going MKIII TDI instead of MKIV.
      More power is still possible if you upgrade intercooler, exhaust, and maybe the turbo...
      If you must get a MKIV TDI, use electronics from '98 to '99.4 (MKIV type) so you won't be challenged by the ECU's immobilizer.

Modified by Malone at 2:12 PM 1-26-2006

Totally sweet!! ^^^^
      well right now it is just planning so i have no budget (so i can see what is the best for unlimited money)
      The power i want is as much as i can achieve without blowing something on the motor every week. I want to be able to stick it to some of those ***** punks! lol The above set up sounds great but what is the ratio of Diesel hp to a gas hp? Like if i got 155hp on a diesel what is that comparitive to a gas motor?? or are they the same feeling?

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      01-28-2006 08:40 AM #5
      the mk3 is the way to go but all TDIs bring a premium and I searched 3 years for a donar car that was priced right. Also most mk3s/b4s that will be cheap have a zillion miles on them and you will pay the price later after the swap is done and the high milage parts begin to die.
      I am going the no immobilzer mk4 route and as I find myself doing somthing I'll think how much easier a MK3 would be but then I remind myself that most have well over 200K miles and there are not nearly as many available for used parts like the mk4. I know in 10years that there will a lot more mk4 tdis in the junk yards then Mk3s just because of production numbers

8. 01-28-2006 04:21 PM #6
      Keep your eyes peeled for TDI's that have been written off, such as a rear or side impact. This greatly saves on parts. Believe me, you want as much of the donor as you can get. The reason? Those little replacement parts end up costing a lot. I'll be paying like $600 for about 6 parts that could fit in a baseball glove. Get the whole car.
      Did I say get the whole car? Get the whole car...

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      01-30-2006 10:20 AM #7
      I agree get the whole car that is the only way that I would consider doing a swap like this. Make certain it does not have much front end damage.