VWVortex.com - How rare was the Hobie cat edition?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How rare was the Hobie cat edition?

1. 04-17-2006 01:02 PM #1
      My grandma has a Hobie Cat Vanagon in her back yard. It needs some transmission work (we think the shifter linkage is messed up somewhere). I'm not sure if it's an '86 or '88, but it's the 2.1 gasoline Digifant (crap from what I hear). I just wanted to know if anyone knew how many were made. TIA.

My grandma's looks similar to this, although the lettering above the driver side headlight is gone and the stripes don't include all of these colors.
      *edited to add image

Modified by 90quattro20v at 1:09 PM 4-17-2006

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-17-2006 01:26 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by 90quattro20v »
      My grandma has a Hobie Cat Vanagon in her back yard. It needs some transmission work (we think the shifter linkage is messed up somewhere). I'm not sure if it's an '86 or '88

Since the ad you posted has a copyright date of 1986, I'll bet '86.
      Quote, originally posted by 90quattro20v »
      but it's the 2.1 gasoline Digifant (crap from what I hear).

The 2.1 crap or the Digifant crap?
      Digifant is *NOT* crap. For some reason, CIS people just refuse to understand it (and there's not that much to understand anyway). Digifant is a great system.
      The 2.1 (and the 1.9 for that matter) on the other hand...well...let's just say that's a lot closer to crap than Digifant is.
      Not sure how many were made but I've never seen any of these so I'm going to guess very very few.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 GTI, '84 Land Cruiser FJ60
      04-17-2006 01:45 PM #3
      I see a nice one around my neighborhood in San Francisco. It was for sale a while ago - almost wish i had bought it...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 04-18-2006 12:58 AM #4
      I might know where one of these hobie sailboards is. i think my buddy has one in his garage.
      The board never made many waves, it was mostly a piece of crap.
      Actually the sail was more of a piece of crap than the board but I suppose that's a different forum.
      If VW were to offer this deal today, it would be the kiteboarding edition van.

Vehicles
      I AM THE VAN MAN
      04-18-2006 04:39 AM #5
      they were 86 only, and only came in white IIRC. also, they were only sold at coastal vw dealerships, mostly in CA..

8. 04-18-2006 11:04 AM #6
      The California thing makes sense to me. I'm pretty sure that my grandparents bought it when they were on an RV trip out on the west coast. However, my grandma's is silver. Also, the stripes on it don't match the one in the ad, and there is no "Hobie Cat" written on the front end. This might have been a regular Vanagon that the dealer (or someone) dressed up to look similar to the Hobie Cat one. Thanks for all the feedback! (This forum is way more active than my Audi 90 forum!)
      Also, I just noticed this now, but I don't remember any signs of there ever being a roof rack on grandma's. I'm beginning to think more and more that her isn't a HC one.

Modified by 90quattro20v at 11:06 AM 4-18-2006

Vehicles
      2001 Eurovan Camper
      04-18-2006 01:03 PM #7
      Does anyone else find it amusing to see VW advertise a van that already had a reputation for troubles in crosswinds pictured with a sailboard strapped on top? I mean, let's ram the point home!

10. 04-18-2006 04:44 PM #8
      Ha! I test drove one in 86... nice stickers, but it was basically just a GL with a roof rack and hobie cat stickers

11. 04-18-2006 05:59 PM #9
      VW must think sailors have a thing for their vans.
      I remember seeing an add somewhere showing a 60's era van with a small saillboat inside it. does anyone have this add to post??

12. 04-18-2006 07:07 PM #10
      I remember this deal in a downtown San Francisco VW dealership. It was a nice board and it came with the van. I didn't like the stripes on the vanagon because it was just too "GAY/Rainbow coalition advertisement " for me. However, I did get caught up in all the wind surfing scene around the Golden Gate bridge. Have you guys ever witness the talent of those guys out there? Do they still get to do it out there? Or did the pass a law against it? I took lessons over in Almeda and after 4 days on the water - my knees where so bruised and blistered that I gave it up. Maybe it was the fact that I am 6'4'' tall and have a football lineman's body. OH Well - I thought it was a good deal - I think the van was about $14,500.00 with the HOBIE board and rack. I passed on the new van (could not afford it at the time anyway) and bought a 1970 BUS for $400.00 bucks.

MY First Westfalia - 1970 Type II - Sea foam Green - Painted by me! - Needed a new Canvas Top - date of Photo 7-16-1989 I used it as a second home during medical school. Bought for $400.00 in the Western Addition in San Francisco. Always took a bicycle along just in case she let me down. Went to Ensenada, Mexico to Texas. Slept in her for 6 months during my residency. One night I broke through the 20 year old hammock, hanging there like a possum. Always drove her with one eye on the oil pressure gage. Air-cooled is great for cool California , but in Texas is like your with Rommel on the Sahara..... Served me well!!!!

NOW the 1970, had the crosswind problem.....OMG!!! I was once blown over 3 lanes on the Bay Bridge on one early Sunday morning - thank goodness the traffic was light. Those were the days!!!
      HORRIDO

13. 04-18-2006 08:41 PM #11
      I'll try again!!!

Notice the South tower of the GGB. R/C Glider Flying on Baker beach.

14. 04-18-2006 11:37 PM #12
      i really like that first pic, when/where was that taken?

15. 04-19-2006 12:08 AM #13
      July 1989 - Surfside Beach, Texas with my soon to be wife...........
      The day I fell down on one knee and asked her with a ring.
      Both she and Type II's are still in the family alas in Eurovan GLS flavor these days.
      But the Type II was my first love.............. shooooUsh........ don't tell anyone!
      HORRIDO
      P.S. I love this picture ........... but it can't be real? Anybody take credit for this pic?

16. 04-19-2006 01:37 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by huckhuge »
      VW must think sailors have a thing for their vans.
      I remember seeing an add somewhere showing a 60's era van with a small saillboat inside it. does anyone have this add to post??

I was trying to post this yesterday since this ad reminded me of the old "It Carries A Boatload" ad from 1963 (IIRC). I hope this image posts okay and that it's okay to post other's pics...

FWIW: I'm a sailor and have had a thing for VW vans for years... go figure! In fact I bought a copy of this ad since I learned to sail on a Sailfish (pictured) and hauled it or my old Finn to the Great Salt Lake for years with my '58 Westy.
      Paul

Modified by MadMando at 10:39 AM 4-19-2006

Vehicles
      2004 Volvo XC70, 1998 VW Jetta K2, 1999 Passat 1.8t Wagon (sold), 1985 Vanagon SVX (sold)
      04-19-2006 02:00 PM #15
      Hey, good to see another utahn on here [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

8 Valve SnuggleSquad!

18. 04-19-2006 02:42 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by chendermi »
      Does anyone else find it amusing to see VW advertise a van that already had a reputation for troubles in crosswinds pictured with a sailboard strapped on top? I mean, let's ram the point home!

I've always found Vanagons to be quite good in crosswinds. They catch the air a bit, but they don't get blown off course. Take a Carat and put it on 235/45/17s and you'll be amazed to find almost no sensitivity to crosswinds.

19. 04-19-2006 03:20 PM #17
      I realize this is technically off topic, but...
      With the split and bay window busses the tires make all the different. Bays and Vanagons should have tires with reinforced sidewalls... these are typically sold as "Load Range D" or Light Truck tires. My experience is with '58 through '73 busses, but in those vans the reinforced sidewall makes a huge difference in whether the van tracks like a car or a kite! I'm sure Vanagons and EVs are much better with the improved suspension, and the splitties were also notorious for having worn king pins and center pivot bushings that would cause tracking problems.
      Paul

Modified by MadMando at 12:22 PM 4-19-2006

20. 04-19-2006 11:24 PM #18
      Sorry everyone if my comment has hi-jacked this thread...
      Yes. I think tire stiffness makes a huge difference. The load range C tires in bus/Vanagon 14" sizes are the only way to go because they have a stiff enough sidewall to keep the van stable in crosswinds and moderate cornering. With lower profile tires and bigger rims you get the ultimate in sidewall stability, and from my experience a Vanagon that is no more perterbed by crosswinds than your average Rabbit GTI or even Mk2 GTI.
      On the Hobi Cat subject, I've never seen one in person - jealous of Eric D. for having actually driven one back in the day. I have seen one or two for sale on the Samba over the years and I think they were all Pastel White.

21. 04-20-2006 12:47 AM #19
      Your lucky you got out of windsurfing when you did. It is a highly addictive activity. It brought my wife and I (and our VW's) down to the Columbia River Gorge over 14 years ago and we have been driving VW's and sailing here ever since. We are very spoiled living about 5 minutes from some of the best windsurfing in the world!
      Craig

22. 04-22-2006 10:28 PM #20
      My wife and I live on the IBX - the oposite side of Pamlico Sound directly west of Hatteras/Ocracoke, the OBX in NC & the major winsurfing destination on the east coast. I've had a '93 Euorvan for 2 years now and must say it is very condusive for overnight/weekend "vamping" trips & packing all the windsurf gear in it. Even though it's windy here most of the time, the van can be quiclky packed for a trip to the islands for some wave action.

23. 04-22-2006 10:33 PM #21
      If any windsurfers want to check out the IBX. here's some information:
      http://bayriverwindsurfing.bravehost.com
      I'll keep an eye out for visiting vdub vans....