VWVortex.com - vr6 - tdi swap? how hard would this be.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: vr6 - tdi swap? how hard would this be.

1. 05-10-2006 12:36 AM #1
      well I am currently considering selling my vr6 motor at the moment as I am going to be traveling alot more for a new job, so how hard would it be to swap a tdi into my car? or should I just forget about it?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      05-12-2006 08:51 AM #2
      if you get a mk3 TDI donar car its a straight forward swap and literally a plug a play swap. The key is finding a donar for a resonable price and then on top of that one that does not have damage to the key componets in the front or one with milage below 170K miles. Even though these motors are proven to run well past 300K-400k miles wouldn'y ot suck to complete the swap with a motor that has 220k miles and then at 300k miles suffer an issue that sends you looking for a block, injector pump, cyclinder head, or even a transmission. MK3 TDIs are somewhat rare and replacement parts cost $$$ because of the rarity.
      With that having been said I had a warped block in my VR6 Corrado and sold off all of the VR6 drivetrain parts indiviually on ebay for very resonable prices (ie very fast selling parts on ebay) and made roughly $2K where as a complete VR6 swap will typically only yield $1000-$1500 now a days. I managed to pick up a MK4 TDI cheap and have been swapping it into my corrado. The MK4 swap is difficult in the wiring department and the rear motor mount location. other then that its gravey. Because I want the wiring to run where I want it the wiring will take many more long days out in the garage. So I do not suggest you consider the MK4 if you are anal like me

4. 05-12-2006 09:20 PM #3
      Fo-get-a-bou-tit.
      Your VR6 is the old fashioned cable throttle, the TDI is a modern "Drive-By-Wire" system. The cost and hassles of tyring to install all the electronics, wiring and not to mention selenoid systems would make it unpractical.
      Get a new TDI, if you are going to be doing a lot of driving. If your company reimburses you for mileage, that alone will make your payments and possible still cover the fuel.
      Gas prices weren't gonna stay cheap forever...I got my TDI good luck getting yours!
      DB

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      05-13-2006 10:43 AM #4
      Its do able it you have the time and a donar car. But then again I love wrenching on cars and have no fear of pulling everything out of the engine bay rebuilding it and slapping it back in so I can clean things. The same is so for the dash componets.
      I'll repeat that if you get a mk3 its a plug and play swap. You just have to swap the pedal clusters to get the drive by wire setup and then install the wiring and ecu from the TDI [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

7. 05-14-2006 02:45 AM #5
      why would you even want to mess with it. I get 34 mpg on the freeway with my mr3 vr6 jetta. Thats not too bad. If I were you I would savemy money. If you see a tdi, and its priced right, then jump on it, but dont pay a bunch of money to do a swap, that would be stupid.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      05-14-2006 10:15 AM #6
      Why not just sell the car and buy one with a TDI??
      Or am I missing something
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      MK3 TDi, E36 M3 cab, 996.
      11-27-2009 06:16 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by SLC’98VR6 »
      why would you even want to mess with it. I get 34 mpg on the freeway with my mr3 vr6 jetta. Thats not too bad. If I were you I would savemy money. If you see a tdi, and its priced right, then jump on it, but dont pay a bunch of money to do a swap, that would be stupid.

why? heh, i guess you obviously dont know nothin about 50+ mpg.
      and numbs; you need to say what MK you have and which TDI you want to put in? if you dont know what you have then the answer is no, ha ha. dont do it.
      i for one am currently in the process of seeing what all is involved with putting a MK3 tdi in a MK3 gasser.....
      FS= 1997 Jetta TDi, rebuilt motor +extras $4800.
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...in-Savannah-GA

Vehicles
      MK3 TDi, E36 M3 cab, 996.
      11-27-2009 06:17 PM #8
      MK3's are more baller than MK4's anywayz
      FS= 1997 Jetta TDi, rebuilt motor +extras $4800.
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...in-Savannah-GA