1. Member
      Vehicles
      Race car
      11-14-2009 11:57 AM #2376
      Quote, originally posted by jaystone »
      Pretty much.

I totally disagree.

Quote, originally posted by jaystone »
      this thread is about IF and HOW...not necessarily why or at what cost.

I know exactly what this topic is about.
      As usual, here is another N/A topic getting littered with turbo talk.

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Euro Turds and an '08 Kawi zx10
      11-18-2009 12:43 PM #2377
      not trying to disrespect you guys in any way i think its awesome what you guys are running all motor. the only reason i was directing him toward turbo is because more than likely he is not trying to run in an all motor class and probably doesnt have the dedication like you guys have. i have seen your cars run and it is cool as hell but most people dont want to deal with the hassle and would rather bolt a turbo on, make 350whp and call it a day. most dont care to further the development of all motor vr6 tuning. the only reason i would direct anyone toward turbo is because nobody ever compares apples to apples. most people want to know "how can i beat my buddies LS turbo civic with my vr6" so all motor is not an option for them with a full interior stock body jetta. most dont want to race all motor cars because they dont care. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] to you hardcore all motor guys gettin it done!
      -87 Golf GT, built BT 1.8t [email protected] 1.96 60' [email protected] pump gas (sold/parted out)
      -64 ratty bus "the slamper"
      -91 Jetta ALH TDI swap
      -80 diesel caddy
      -76 BMW 2002

Vehicles
      93 Corrado VR6, 98 Passat 1.8t, 95 GTI VR6, 92 16v Passat
      11-18-2009 01:52 PM #2378
      most people dont want to deal with the hassle and would rather bolt a turbo on, make 350whp and call it a day!
      Wow, you make that sound so easy and reliable. Let it be known in the real world that even with 350hp, that doesn't always translate to a fast car. Alot of allmotor cars with not a whole lot of work can post up as good or even better times than a turbo'd VR. And they don't have to worry about nearly as many things to fail on them in the process.

Modified by vdubxcrew at 6:56 PM 11-18-2009
      I do ported/modified VR6 and 2.0 throttle bodies, mirror polish and port intake manifolds. PM me for details.

Vehicles
      11-18-2009 01:59 PM #2379
      Quote, originally posted by vdubxcrew »
      Alot of allmotor cars with not a whole lot of work can post up as good or even better times than a turbo'd VR. And they don't have to worry about nearly as many things to fail on them in the process.

not trying to argure here on this thread. we all know the advantages and disadvantages of each set up. all im saying is you can make more power easier and if you buy quality parts, you can have a very reliable set up either way. most dont want a straight drag car either way so if you take a stock body jetta glx and max it out all motor, a basic turbo kit will still win. again im done i dont want to clutter this thread so i'll leave it at that. and again i have lots of respect for the all motor guys [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by hyperformancevw at 11:02 AM 11-18-2009
      -87 Golf GT, built BT 1.8t [email protected] 1.96 60' [email protected] pump gas (sold/parted out)
      -91 Jetta ALH TDI swap
      -80 diesel caddy
      -76 BMW 2002

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Race car
      11-18-2009 02:06 PM #2380
      Nah, my point was this topic is about...
      "let's get 275whp from a naturally aspirated VR6"
      and not...
      "I want 275whp, please weigh my options for me..."
      There is a huge difference.
      I totally agree that most do not care about furthering development for a naturally apsirated VR6, but that is EXACTLY what this topic was about.
      If power was the main goal and someone wanted to get 275whp from this engine I would be the last guy telling them they need to do it N/A.
      I still totally disagree with the comment about a turbo being the only way to get 250whp.

Vehicles
      11-18-2009 02:23 PM #2381
      just start a new thread to talk about your goals and wants. i appreciate you defending me, but dont disrespect the all motor pioneers please
      -91 Jetta ALH TDI swap
      -80 diesel caddy
      -76 BMW 2002

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Race car
      11-18-2009 02:38 PM #2382
      To anyone, just pick your poison; Naturally Aspirated, Nitrous, Supercharger, and Turbo. Any one of those alone will get you 250hp. What route to take and how much effort someone wants to put into it to achieve this goal is different story, one that is best kept for another topic. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

9. Administrator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      11-18-2009 03:15 PM #2383
      Quote, originally posted by billyVR6 »
      To anyone, just pick your poison; Naturally Aspirated, Nitrous, Supercharger, and Turbo. Any one of those alone will get you 250hp. What route to take and how much effort someone wants to put into it to achieve this goal is different story, one that is best kept for another topic. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Exactly, and for the sake of this thread let's keep it on topic please w/o the bickering and other debate.
      Thanks.

Vehicles
      Euro Vr6
      11-24-2009 05:33 PM #2384
      came to my senses dave's right....i apologize to all you all motor heads including myself for giving up and turning to a turbo....went to my friends shop....took my "ported head" put it on a flow bench and ironically he had a honda civic head on another flow bench as well.....i almost puked....its trully sad a honda head has way more flow than a 12 v vr6 head....when it comes down to it...the vr6 head really has no air flow compared to the other heads its like WTF but yea....i spent heavy bread on my head...and the other head was pretty much stock...only way is by getting another head with more ports or making your own head or calling it a day and going with the 24v.....good luck on your quest to becoming a mechanical engineer... that may be why bilton never replied to any of us...i was even providing a free head for research and development...even pmed them offering funds....really about my business and do have money to help out but they just gave up i guess.....supercharging a turbo on my 12v 2.9 and using nitrous to cool it down keep a look out for the build....threads coming soon lets see how this baby runs and or pops....

04-26-2010 07:32 AM #2385
      First post for 2010 in this thread
      whats the general thoughts on the set up ?
      best Intake set up - Schrick or SRI
      best exhaust - Extractors or ported stock
      Best management - Chip or stand alone
      Best Camshaft design - 262, 268 , 276 , 288 or bigger
      Best Valve size - 1mm O/S , 2mm ?
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      stock TSI & stage 2 FSI
      05-23-2010 12:21 PM #2386
      just read this whole thread over the last couple of days...very good read, learned a lot (as much as i can from my computer chair)...

13. Semi-n00b
      12-01-2015 10:01 AM #2387
      Back from The Grave;

This thread is long dead, but lives on as a great resource. Having recently acquired an AFP Mk.IV VR6, and being interesting in modding it for more power, I have read the entire thing. Beyond the vaporization of the thread principle, it is a huge shame that much of the documentation photos, videos, and image data was not preserved somewhere for future reference. Reading it is only half the story. We visual types are like that.

Who is left from the old days that can still do decent head work on these buggers? No machine shops left in my area!

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      All Motor 12v
      09-14-2020 01:54 PM #2388
      Ill see you Bildon for 275, and raise the bar to 300. Back from the dead, carrying the all motor 12v torch to the 300 hp mark.
      Worlds fastest stock NA 12v

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      09-14-2020 05:17 PM #2389
      Curious what kind of work you have done?

I've only owned one VR6 but am a serious NA enthusiast and have had this thread saved for years as a great resource. Honestly, I'd have to go back and do a lot of reading to recall how this all played out...

On a somewhat related note: I recently picked up an Audi B5 with the 12v AFC V6, probably the most unloved Audi engine. I bring this up because it's also a 2.8L 12v VAG motor of the early 90's that creates the same 172 crank HP as the VR6. And yet, with some moderate development the Audi 12v can break 300 Naturally Aspirated crank HP. I'll go out on a limb and say it is largely attributable to the port design which are similar at a glance to the VW ABA engine, if not slightly better.

No disrespect intended to the VR6, but just sharing it as a comparison point from a similar period of time and within the same manufacturer. The VR6 is a heck of an engine in terms of packaging though!

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596