VWVortex.com - How to fit a new rear window frame on your VW Cabbie. Guide & Photo's
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to fit a new rear window frame on your VW Cabbie. Guide & Photo's

1. 05-22-2006 04:37 PM #1
      How to fit a new rear window frame on your VW Cabbie
      1: From inside the dub with the roof closed, push out the rear window pushing from one corner on the glass, have another person outside to catch it. this is quite simple to do.

2: Rear window removed

3: Now we have to remove the frame from the canvas roof/top.
      Get a small screwdriver/knife and very carefully pull out the staples, there is a few. Be carefull not to rip the canvas.

4: Once all the staples are out of the canvas, you can see the frame.

5: Undo the bolts from the inside that hold the frame to the hinge. 10mm x 4

6: Lift up the roof half way

7: this will allow you to get to the straps that hold the top bit of the frame in.

7A: Push the strap though the gap and pull out plastic pin. Your frame is now out ;-)

8: Get your new frame, Your now going to staple the new frame back in place, I used a heavy duty manual staple gun, but ive heard that an electric "hammer" type is best.
      Starting at the top of the frame with the roof closed, you must match up where the old frame sat, Have some people help you stretch the canvas and staple it.
      The staple gun i used only pushed the staples in half way, so i just used a drift and hammer to knock it in all the way, some bent some went all the way in.

Staple all the way around getting your helper/s to pull the canvas tight as you staple, i had 3 other people to help me ;-) so not to hard for me.
      9: Stand back and look to see if there is any baggy bits in your canvas, if there is take the staples out and re staple.

10: You are now ready to fit the window glass/rubber, get some washing up liquid and smear it around the rubber seal (out side edge) with the glass in place inside the rubber seal.
      There are a few ways to get the glass and rubber seal in the frame but i used the string method.....
      Place strong string all the way around the inside lip of the seal. place the glass next to the frame, choose a start corner and push rubber seal into the corner of the frame. now go inside the car and pull the rubber seal over the frame, either with a screwdriver or using you fingers.
      Now the fun bit pull the string from where you have just put the seal over the frame and this will pull the whole seal in place all the way around, i had a helper push the outside of the window just to make sure it was going in ok, if any of the seal does not cover the frame then just get a screwdriver and "help" it in place as you go along.

11. Have a beer/smoke/cuddle/what ever makes you happy because you've done.......... now the next job

Job done
      If anyone whats to add to this just let me know....

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      05-22-2006 04:47 PM #2
      Well documented. I vote for this going into the Cabriolet FAQ list! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

4. 05-22-2006 06:20 PM #3
      That's What I'm talking about!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

5. 05-22-2006 07:14 PM #4
      very nice, thanks

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      05-22-2006 07:34 PM #5
      Excellent Joe!
      I just added in the faq [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Btw, now you need to tight the center top cable

Modified by Black_cabbie at 1:35 AM 5-23-2006
      Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

Palatine, IL. But I'll NEVER call Chicagoland home.
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      05-23-2006 06:44 AM #6
      Good Job,
      I'll just have to add, that if your top is in bad shape don't try this or you could very well rip it. I did with mine. It was a good excuse to buy a new top though [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon