VWVortex.com - DIY: repair blower resistor pack for $1.20.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: repair blower resistor pack for $1.20.

Vehicles
      2009 BMW 335i xDrive
      06-16-2006 01:27 PM #1
      OK, figured I'd help a few people out.
      I haven't seen this talked about on here yet, figured I'd share some info on how I repair the resistor pack that controls the fan speeds.
      This may not be a huge deal, since the resistor packs have come way down in price the last few years, I think you can get the A/C equiped car one for $25-30 these days. It still however can be fixed for much cheaper, little over $1 in parts and 5 minutes work.
      99% of the time, when you lose all speeds but high on the blower it is due to the thermal fuse blowing. On the old cars it is common for these to go once they reach a ripe old age. With that said, if you keep blowing thermal fuses, you most likely have an unusual amount of current going through the resistor pack (addition draw due to bad blower, bad wiring or some other issue) and you should address the root problem, and not keep replacing these fuses.
      Also do this at your own risk, I am not responsible if anything goes wrong, this is informational only.
      1. First step is to take out the glove box. Very easy, pop out the 3 felt covers, and remove the 3 lower screw. Then remove the 3 upper screws, and unplug the 2 wires going to the glove box light.
      The glove box should slide out at this point, revelaing the resistor pack.

2. Go to radio shack and buy a new thermal fuse that is the same opperating temp as the blown one (or as close as you can find). I believe the one on there says 216*C, the closest my radio shack had was 229*C I believe.

3. Cut out the old thermal fuse, and warm up your soldering iron.

4. Solder in the new thermal fuse.

5. reinstall the resistor pack and then test the blower to make sure it works on all speeds.
      6. Put the glove box back in, and enjoy your cheap fix.
      Technically, you could replace this thermal fuse with a straight piece of wire, but you better carry a fire extinguisher with you if you do that. I would NOT recommend doing that!! Unless of course you enjoy melted blower boxes, and dash fires. These resistors can get VERY hot. In excess of 500*F.

Modified by vwgtipowr at 12:29 PM 6-16-2006

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      06-16-2006 02:16 PM #2
      At what temp does solder melt? My thermal fuse doesn't appear to be soldered in - it's more like it's crimped and fused by some sort of welding process. Wouldn't you have to use silver solder to hold it?

Vehicles
      2009 BMW 335i xDrive
      06-16-2006 02:20 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by blue70beetle »
      At what temp does solder melt? My thermal fuse doesn't appear to be soldered in - it's more like it's crimped and fused by some sort of welding process. Wouldn't you have to use silver solder to hold it?

I did use silver lead free solder. Sorry I forgot to mention.
      Holding up well so far. If anything happens where it melts off I'll post up.

5. 01-09-2007 12:29 AM #4
      what about blowing the fuse when soldering... would crimping be a better alternative?

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT LTD 1992 Miata sunburst yellow
      01-09-2007 12:37 AM #5
      Nice DIY and very useful to know a cheap way to fix it.
      You can also get to the blower motor by removing the lower parcel shelf and pulling on the plastic clip that holds the foam insulation to the bottom of the blower. There's a clip on the opposite side of the resistor pack holding the blower on. Either pull or push on it to unclip and simply rotate the blower to remove it.
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      Going to church is bland. Eating vanilla ice cream is bland. Dating somebody from your local Ayn Rand book club is bland. This car makes all of those things seem as exciting as doing 12 lines of cocaine. With Katie Perry. While she's on fire...in Times Square. And you're naked.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      85 Golf, 89 Jetta
      01-09-2007 01:37 AM #6
      It is a good idea to put a heat sink between the thermal fuse and where you are soldering. Needle nose vise-grips work good.

Vehicles
      1990 8V GTI
      07-20-2007 08:52 PM #7
      did this exact repair today, works perfect. definitely worth trying if you're working on the cheap. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Tornado Red GTI16v
      07-20-2007 09:15 PM #8
      Great blast-from-the-past DIY fix for a common Mk2 problem [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '90 Jetta 2 door & '03 Elantra GLS
      07-20-2007 09:21 PM #9
      I remember reading this thread a while back. I re did the resistor pack for the silver coupe last year. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      1990 8V GTI
      07-20-2007 09:26 PM #10
      yeah, i blew a brand new resistor pack on a sluggish blower motor. lubed the motor so the fan spins freely, and fixed the resistor. GOLDEN!

Vehicles
      2009 BMW 335i xDrive
      08-06-2007 06:32 PM #11
      I did this a year and a half ago, and it is still holding up great.
      Glad I could help you guys out.

13. 01-04-2008 01:04 AM #12
      That's weird, mine looked nothing like yours. Did mine tonight. Mine had these loopy spring like things. About three of them, different sizes. There was no green thingy though. Interesting.
      After I was done, I slapped it in and nothing. Turned out it was a blown fuse too. Now it blows, at different speeds. It's nice. Not great...only cool air. Guess it's my heater core too. Screw that!!!

Vehicles
      05 GLI, 09 CBR600RR
      01-04-2008 01:53 AM #13
      any way of making the blower itself quieter? mine howls like a bitch sometimes.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v
      01-04-2008 03:03 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by dossantos25 »

Replace it.

Vehicles
      '85 VW Golf & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      01-04-2008 04:56 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Knappy »
      Replace it.

X2. That's probably the motor "bearings" being dry. This is pretty common in our older cars, and will often cause the resistor pack to blow, since the motor will be drawing more current... I had only slight success when I lubed up the bearings on my motor, and it still howled at full blast...

17. 01-04-2008 05:49 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by nduetime »
      That's weird, mine looked nothing like yours. Did mine tonight. Mine had these loopy spring like things. About three of them, different sizes. There was no green thingy though. Interesting.
      After I was done, I slapped it in and nothing. Turned out it was a blown fuse too. Now it blows, at different speeds. It's nice. Not great...only cool air. Guess it's my heater core too. Screw that!!!

Yea mine is like this also. would the same fuse be the culprit? I have an 86 and yours must be an 87 or a jetta is the fuse the same or different thanks - Kyle

01-04-2008 06:15 PM #17
      What if you have the opposite problem? I've got a fan that runs great on 1-3, but at 4 it just shuts off.

19. 01-04-2008 07:00 PM #18
      Actually mines a 88 gti. I used the same fuse as the O.P. listed. Actually that's not entirely true. I was able to find one that was about 3c cooler. I think it was 226c which was closer to the 216c fuse that was blown on my pack. The fuse under the dash was a 30A. It works but I'm still a little scared keeping it one longer than the testing stage.
      peece - I can't really speak but from experience, I'm no expert nor am I even qualified to give you advise. However, I can say this. I had 4 functioning speeds when I got the car. The first sign I had was the highest speed (4) went out before everything else. I was told when this happened a couple of years ago that it was a sign that the resister was on it's way out if not already.
      It's an easy fix as long as it doesn't create a fire. Took me longer to figure out how to and where to solder at. The old one is crimped in there. I spent just about forever trying to remove the remaining pieces but couldn't. I just soldered right on the tabs. Good luck, if it works you'll be happy you did it like I am. Thanks vwgtipowr!!!!!

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 90 Westfalia, 91 Gti
      01-04-2008 07:07 PM #19
      this needs to be linked to the FAQ

Vehicles
      Barbie Jeep Power Wheel
      01-04-2008 08:46 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by dossantos25 »

They come apart easily and you can lube/clean the motor. I usually clean them with solvent until they spin smooth and easily, then lube them with electric motor oil. I've not had an issue with any of the ones I did this for, and it only takes a half hour or so start to finish.
      If your resistor pack fries there is a good chance the blower is stiff and should be cleaned/lubed anyway, so doing both of these at the same time never hurts.

Vehicles
      2009 BMW 335i xDrive
      01-04-2008 09:25 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by peecee »
      What if you have the opposite problem? I've got a fan that runs great on 1-3, but at 4 it just shuts off.

Might be a good idea to check the bentley, maybe it has more info. If I have a second and remember I'll grab mine and look.
      I bet the older cars 80s are slightly different than the newer MK2s. Just a guess though.
      Does your car have A/C? I know there are significant differences between A/C and non-A/C cars from what I remember. The heater boxes are totally different.

Modified by vwgtipowr at 10:36 PM 1-4-2008

23. 01-04-2008 09:57 PM #22
      only got speed 4 in my corrado
      need to know if anything is difefernt for ac cars

01-05-2008 12:30 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by peecee »

I'm experiencing this in my golf. Non AC shuts off on 4. Today i experienced it not turning on at all, switched all speeds and nothing. Just started to work 2 mins down the road.
      Could be the resistor?

01-05-2008 12:23 PM #24
      bump for an answer to our question.

Vehicles
      89 Cabriolet, 90 Westfalia, 91 Gti
      01-05-2008 12:47 PM #25
      I took carpet padding, and some 3m 90 and covered the core of my MKII HVAC box. also in, and around the heater/ducting, I used dynamating, glued down additional padding to quiet it.
      also wrappped all tubes in Frost king wide foam, then hit em here and there with duct tape. granted, when I split the box, I also used HVAC pug in small amounts to keep the noise down.
      Its sooooooo stealth quiet.. I almost couldnt tell it was on, all I hear is this whooooosh, of the air movement.
      granted, the rest of my car got a full coat of 5/16 carpet padding, glued down, then duct taped all seams.
      I wont say much about the 4 wedge packs of Dynamat other than it was a pain to install.
      Sounds like a lexus.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast