VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Project Build: sc2020

313K views 706 replies 130 participants last post by  perickomx 
#1 · (Edited)
Assembly has finally begun.
Since my Interior Project is now complete -> Interior Swap and Renew Complete + extras (VERY VERY Pic..., I finally had some time to start assembly of my Hybrid 2L-20v G60.
Planning, parts gathering, prototyping and machine work has been going on for about the last 6 months, but Assembly finally started yesterday. And progress has been great with no snags thus far.
Here is the plan for those who don't frequent the G60 Forum:
  • 2L ABA Bored to 83mm with Custom JE Forged Pistons (9.25:1)
  • ABA OBDI block with Forged Internals, ARP hardware, Resized and Shot peened rods
  • AEB 20v Head (Large Port)
  • Custom Modified SuperSprint SS Mk2 16v Header re-Flanged for 20V
  • Light PnP and gasket matching
  • Stage IV G60
    , Pulley size TBD to match higer revs
  • MsnS-e
  • FMIC Precision Core under Dietrich RS
  • Euro AGU Intake
  • some other stuff
1.) Before I begin, let's get some semantics out of the way. This project is not about "the biggest numbers on the tex" so please don't talk about Big Turbos "BTs" here.
2.) If you have any basic questions on 20v Hybrids, please visit this thread -> 20V Hybrid - How To. Al ot of details on my research and specifics are in there.
3.) Although I am not the first 2020 by far, my setup will definitely be unique and will be full trim with A/C.
3.) pic centric thread as usual.

DisAssembly of donors

Since no machine shop around here had a Torque plate to bore my block with, I decided to make my own

Painted Block

Pinning the Crank Pulley

ABA Intermediate Shaft Modification for distributer using AWP 52T Cam Gear (initially)

Modified by sdezego at 6:24 PM 1-2-2007

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (sdezego)

After Checking the IM Shaft bearings, I realized that the machine shop honed them to big... I shoudl have just done them myself to begin with.

Checking the Crank Shaft Axial Play

Plastigage'ing the Mains. I always check..

Modified by sdezego at 6:28 PM 1-2-2007

#7 ·

Let me be the first to tell you that even though there r a good number of 2020's out there, your car is gonna stand out from the crowd, newer style w/hvac swap is awesome, so is the interior renewal.
but 20vG60, i cant wait to here a sound clip
keep it up man http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
I am going to Run Dizzy Initially, but will then go to either Coil pack using the ABA 60-2 took trigger or may even go COP.

Why go through the extra work to fit the dizzy if your using the MSnSe, it's a thing of simplcity to run a missing tooth setup from the get go.

#12 · (Edited)
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (Pigsdofly)

Quote, originally posted by Pigsdofly »
Why go through the extra work to fit the dizzy if your using the MSnSe, it's a thing of simplcity to run a missing tooth setup from the get go.

An excellent question really. Especially, since you need to do a special board tweak for MSnS to accommodate VW's Dist Hall Sensor.
The orig plan was to Build MS, Config and install it on my existing G60 on Dist, get it tuned and run it for a while. Basically, get it all ready to throw on the new motor and then have to just tweak the maps rather than work out any bugs on the new motor. Still the plan actually, but since I finished the MS build a few months ago and the motor is well under way, the idea is making less sense.
Also, I already had all of the stuff for ABA Dist and the only thing I needed was the Cam gear and a 20 minute IM Shaft mod.
The past week or so, I have been seriously rethinking this though and may go 60-2 Coil pack right off. I may even setup a 60-2 on my current PG to get it all ready. I go back and forth.

#17 ·
Re: Project Build: sc2020 (UTdaneVW)

Quote, originally posted by UTdaneVW »
Thats going to be such a sick motor. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I want to see this car in person, all the work on the interior and now this.
Def holding it down for the FL Rado scene.

Thanks! You will definitely see it. Been driving it alot lately and enjoying it. Realistically, the motor will not go in for a few months as I am not rushing it. LOTS of stuff to work out between now and then.
Among other things, I am thinking about the gearbox as well. Peloquin at the bare min, but need to sell some more parts to pay for that. I have also been thinking about an 02M lately
That is just a matter of money, not effort.
Shawn

#18 ·

Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
Not all that much gain on a 4 cyl only going .5mm. Stock ABA is 1984cc @ 82.5mm Bore. 83mm Bore brings it up to 2008cc

Ahh gotcha. For some reason I assumed the ABA was an 81mm bore like a vr6/1.8t. I figured you were going +2mm