High quality work man !
Must be nice to have both the knowledge and tools to manufacture pices yourself!
Thanks. I have been slowly trying to expand my capabilities in my garage shop over the years!
Time for the header. Many years ago, when this project first started, it seemed feasible to me to take a 16v header and "just" re-flange at the head with a 20v Turbo Flange. Easy, right? Seemed so at the time, so I bought a SuperSprint 16v SS header (see Page 1).
The Euro AGN 20v was Naturally Aspirated and did have a manifold similar to Mk2/Mk3 and used the same down pipes, but they were rare at the time and $$ when found in the states. See Page 3. No one made a 20v header at the time and even today, I only see that TT makes a long tube race header (not good for the street/long term use due to cracking)
So, onward with the road I had chosen and committed myself to. It turns out that the Ex side of the head on the 16v is 90* to the head gasket, whereas the 20v is sloped inward 15%.
So, this was a problem and I decided to correct, by getting some custom mandrel SS bends made. Turns out that 75* bends (one at 78*) were perfect to adapt, but I needed to bore the SS flange larger to accommodate.
Also, I made a jig to ensure perfect positioning of the CAT Flange when using the Taller 236mm 2L Block.
This was my first go at SS Tig welding, and even though I back-purged everything, the results could be better... I learned a lot though.
I also, added EGT ports in case I decide to add CANEgt to Megasquirt3x.
Boring the Flange
Used the 16v head and unmodified header to make the mount Jig
Thanks Guys. I cleared out of a bunch of other projects and stuff on my plate and am working on the Harnesses connections through the firewall to Megasquirt. Got some nice Delphi 47 Pin Circular connectors and pins which are super nice!
The To Do list is getting smaller and I have had some time here and there til the new year, so trying to get some things knocked off.
I also picked up some refinished Borbet Type C's in much harder to find 17x7.5 while I was at FixxFest. These are one of my single piece favorites. If I am not happy with the CH's I refinished, then these will go on for sure. Originally, I picked up and had planned on going to the VR front fenders since I am going with the plus suspension, but decided against it.
To re-iterate from pics above, you will require to mod the ID of the top hat and make a spacer for the bottom.Also, if it is not evident from the picture, the Front struts I used were:
Koni (8610 1436Race)
I think they sell for about $210 each, but since I was searching so much around for them, one day the good ole amazon pop up came up with SALE: $164 each, so I jumped on it.
For the rear, I used the 8041-1108SPORT. This requires you hack the lower eye mount off, but are direct fit otherwise.
I know the IM gears are the same. I run the 9a 2L setup in this motor, but need the clearance for the 2L crank.
Setbacks after setbacks, but as I have said before, paying jobs take precedence and I am still driving my Corrado.
Before the Accident I was preparing to tie up some small loose ends and finally make the swap in... Now, projected to be Dec, pending next surgery and recovery... Looks like this truly will be a 2020 project
Making do with it and adapting. Really not trilled with the idea of going back under the knife to start the process over, so just letting time lapse and see of things improve. Long road for sure
No AFLAC, but sure would be nice... Luckily my day job has great flexibility. If I had to depend on the right hand to put food on the table, things would have been a whole lot worse!