Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Build: sc2020

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      12-10-2006 01:09 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
      You don't think that will cause routing problems for the IC and air filter?
      Have you thought about running an OBDI aba TB?

Yea, that was the only one I had at the time from a spare motor. Since that pic I did get up an OBD1 ABA TB [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I really haven't finalized the routing design just yet, but I have a plan and a fall back plan.
      My Main Goal is to keep a nice compressed flow out of the charger down into the FMIC (Drivers side) and then from the FMIC P/S up into the TB.
      Having the air filter on the PS might be a bit tricky to route and probably impossible with the stock air box, but running the Eurosport Coolflow and a K&N looks doable.
      I really want to go back to the stock air box, so I may run the air box on the Driver's side where the battery is and trunkmount the batt.
      I also plan on making the charger bypass mechanical from the stock G60 butterfly/Bypass welded onto a pipe just before the TB.
      Shawn

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      12-15-2006 10:20 AM #52
      Quote, originally posted by Darrsh »
      but 20vG60, i cant wait to here a sound clip

Thats what its all about reasonable power with an awesome sound [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '90 G60 Corrado(Sold); 2007 Jetta(RIP); 2012 Jetta TDi; 81 Caddy LX(sold); 66 Baja, 58 rag
      12-15-2006 10:56 AM #53
      lookin good, i can't wait to see the final product [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1990 1.9t Corrado, 1977 CB550
      12-15-2006 11:13 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by sdezego »

looks happy to see you
      crazy build man. i'd like to see it finished [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      12-15-2006 01:10 PM #55
      That's what its all about reasonable power with an awesome sound [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Most Definitely. And I think that SuperSprint Header with this setup is going to help things sound very healthy

----
      Progress is being made, just not at the pace that I would like. Many other distractions including installing Megasquirt on my current setup to get it tuned and any bugs worked out as well the recent acquisition of another G60-> https://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2974793
      ...oh, yea and various things in life (all good). Kids are definite Time Burglars, but they're worth it

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      12-15-2006 01:52 PM #56
      I miss the sound of a G60 with the TT SS Borla. I picked up an NA 20V header manifold

Modified by G60ING at 12:53 PM 12-15-2006

Vehicles
      12-15-2006 02:01 PM #57
      I picked up an NA 20V header manifold

That was my first option, but at the time no one wanted to sell one at a decent price. Also, when I picked it up timing was right to drop coin on the SS header and it was aplenty. Still going to take fab work to Reflange it and make it fit too.

Vehicles
      Jetta Syncro GT
      12-30-2006 12:37 AM #58
      Re: 20V NA mani....I picked up mine for 120 from Jim at Audi5TurboTech.
      How much were you being quoted?

jkm

Vehicles
      12-30-2006 10:50 AM #59
      240. if I could have picked one up for 120, it would not have even been a second thought.

Vehicles
      Jetta Syncro GT
      12-30-2006 05:35 PM #60
      That sucks man, sorry to hear that. On the bright side....you do have a nice build!
      I've perused your thread and I see that you do your own checks on the bottom end components, where do you get that information? Tolerances, clearances etc. etc? And also the checks do you perform?
      Always looking to learn a little more!
      tia!

Vehicles
      12-31-2006 01:26 PM #61
      Thanks. Years or building engines and such, but the Bentley lists all tolerances. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      01-02-2007 12:27 PM #62
      In the process of doing the head now, just too many things going on at once. I finally had a chance to finish the install of Megaaquirt on my current setup and am in the process of tuning. Fired right up and had it idling perfectly rock steady with 42# injectors @ 3 Bar in about 5 minutes ...needless to say it did not idle like this with Digi.

Anyway, here is what I am working on with the head and should have some more pics in the next few days.
      I ordered up some T6 AL Rod(s) and I am going to cut some short discs and knock into the head drain holes and then plug weld flush with the head's gasket surface. The corner holes, as well as the right front drain, will be angle drilled from the drain holes in the gasket to the drain holes in the head. This will align the crush surfaces on the gasket properly with the head.
      This next step is really what I consider an optional one, but since I am already welding on the head, it is not much more work. I am going to interconnect the 4 rear oil drains via oil galleys. This is to prevent any oil pooling near the exhaust valve guide seals from plugging the 3 center oil drains. 1 will be connected to the rear corner and 2 will be connected to the front corner. This requires filling the areas shown below hatched in red and then cross drilling 2 galley holes (one from the front of the head and one from the rear) to interconnect the oil drains. These do not need to be big. A 1/8" pipe plug at the front and back of the head will then plug these pilot holes (just like the factory did for the lifter Oil Galleys)

Click to Enlarge:

Modified by sdezego at 5:12 PM 1-2-2007

15. 01-08-2007 09:24 PM #63
      I am summarily impressed thus far
      Thank you for all the insight...I have been trying to find the absolute BEST option for my future build and I will be following your outline here VERY closely. Probably do some minor things differently, but for the most part...very similar.

Vehicles
      01-08-2007 10:11 PM #64
      No problem at all
      Update: I didn't get to finish the welding on the head yet, but did make progress of sorts. Tonight, I logged 25 miles on the MsnS setup that I built up for this motor. Had a snafu on the first run the other day but got it sorted. I still need to fine tune, but it runs absolutely amazing thus far
      S

Vehicles
      01-10-2007 11:32 PM #65
      As just mentioned, I finally got the Megasquirt setup installed that I had build over 6mo ago. It is all hooked up on my current G60 8v setup, so I get any bugs worked out and get a base tune for the new motor etc. I am really beside myself as to how well MS works and it's capability After only about 30min of driving by myself, I have the car about 90% tuned. The software for MS is truly amazing...
      Here is a quick data log from my LM1-LMA3 wideband. The spike just before boost is because I have Acceleration enrichment turned off for tuning purposes. It is still a bit on the Rich through boost because I had the Authority set low in Autotune, so that it was only able to make small changes at a time. Still learning the software and just need a bit more driving time before I can close this chapter. But not before a little Digi vs MS Dyno showdown. I still have Digi currently in there that I can swap back and forth with a harness plug change

Time for a couple of s

18. 01-11-2007 12:05 AM #66
      Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
      No problem at all
      Update: I didn't get to finish the welding on the head yet, but did make progress of sorts. Tonight, I logged 25 miles on the MsnS setup that I built up for this motor. Had a snafu on the first run the other day but got it sorted. I still need to fine tune, but it runs absolutely amazing thus far
      S

Please post before welding and after welding shots of the head. You don't even have to annotate the differences...I'll figure them out

Vehicles
      02-07-2007 12:05 AM #67
      A little update...
      I finished the welding. The head was preheated and slow cooled in my oven. You should have seen my wife's face when she opened the oven to cook some pork chops I also did some rough machining and had it shaved for a finished HG surface. I went with the plan from the previous page (See Pic) and ended up creating the interconnecting oil drains to the corners. Welding this buildup was not fun due to the tight spaces and trying to get the TIG torch in there, but I managed.
      One Key note is that I was so focused on the oil drains that I noticed that the crush zones on the head gasket between the back of the head and the Cylinders impeded into/near/too close to the cooling jackets for my satisfaction. So, I ended up bridge welding those as well. (see annotated pic below)
      Pics after the machining will be up tomorrow. (click to enlarge)
      Drilling the Oil Galleys

Plugging the Oil Drains machined from AL Rod to aid in Plug Welding

The HG Crush Zone I was referring to

One of the corner drains welded but not yet machined (very poor pic I know)

Vehicles
      02-07-2007 03:07 PM #68
      Teaser Pic. Notice the build up areas on the Exhaust side for the new Oil Drain Galley(s) interconnecting the 3 center drains to the corners respectively. Also, notice the now bridged area between the Cyls and the rear (exhaust side) of the head.
      Have not finished the machining here:
      - Corner Block Drains have not been redrilled
      - Rear Coolant passages, not opened up yet to match Headgasket.
      - Large offset front drain not remachined
      - Head has not been PnP'ed yet
      Click to enlarge
      Before and after:

Modified by sdezego at 2:12 PM 2-7-2007

21. 02-07-2007 08:36 PM #69
      Meticulous attention to detail [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

22. 02-07-2007 08:42 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by leebro61 »
      Meticulous attention to detail [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

It is good to see people do things right for a change [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 02-08-2007 03:40 AM #71
      how much did you machine off after the welding?
      sure your pistons aren't gonna hit the valves?
      why so much buildup in the galleys?

Modified by Urieal at 12:13 AM 2-8-2007

Vehicles
      02-08-2007 08:50 AM #72
      Quote, originally posted by Urieal »
      how much did you machine off after the welding?

.010" to clean things up and re-true
      sure your pistons aren't gonna hit the valves?

Yes
      why so much buildup in the galleys?

Not sure what you mean by "So Much Buildup". There was a bit more welding there than I initially planned, but it was necessary because of limited space in trying to get the Tig torch in there to flow material.
      I mentioned in the 20v thread that if I had to do it over again, I probably would not do the oil galleys again. Just because of the amount of work involved for something that is questionably needed. Technically, having the drains will prevent oil pooling by #2 &#3 cyl's exhaust valves. The other mods and the bridging are necessary IMO.
      Shawn

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      02-08-2007 02:12 PM #73
      Quote, originally posted by brilliantyellowg60 »
      It is good to see people do things right for a change [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

definitely. Keep this baby rockin! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      02-12-2007 11:47 AM #74
      Head Modifications progression recap. (Before-During-After)
      - Welded and block 3 rear oil drains
      - Welded and re-machined 2 rear corner drains
      - Welded and re-machined Front left Oil Drain
      - Bridge welded rear head to cyls and modified rear cooling circuits
      - Welded material on rear of head to interconnect Oil Drains that were blocked off to each corner drain via Drilled oil galleys
      - welded and redrilled head dowel Line up holes

Before and after:
      Click to enlarge

Modified by sdezego at 11:03 AM 2-12-2007

Vehicles
      02-12-2007 11:49 AM #75
      Now that the head modifications are pretty much done on to other head work
      Teaser - Click for larger pic

Edit: I should add, the left two intake ports are unmodified in that pic. Look at the transitions to the bowl area. If the head flows as well as it does stock, imagine what it will do with a little port work.

Modified by sdezego at 10:57 AM 2-12-2007

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast