VWVortex.com - World's first EOS roofmodule - exlusive for VWvortex members only!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World's first EOS roofmodule - exlusive for VWvortex members only!

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      11-13-2006 10:27 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by l-c-t.com »
      As mentioned before the product has not yet been released ...

When do you foresee that all development will be completed, and the final product (with production software) will ship?
      Michael

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-13-2006 10:39 AM #27
      the development has been completed already. as mentioned before i am waiting for shipment allocation numbers (with regards to qty's available before christmas). as soon as i have them i can give you more details as to how many units will be available on a special forum discount this year.

4. 11-13-2006 03:37 PM #28
      Daniel, Can you also check if they are able to override the Navigation "ACCEPT" screen everytime the car is started?

5. 11-13-2006 07:29 PM #29
      to get that nag screen removed the NAV unit's software has to be modified. Not sure if that can be just coded.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      11-13-2006 09:56 PM #30
      So far very nice advertisement and some neat promises about what the product can do - or not. Based on what you wrote and what your product is supposed to do I assume it's an add on module that plugs in somewhere in the cars electronic and starts sending or suppressing messages on the CAN of the car. Technically we've seen similar products in the past where the installation did not void the warranty, but the problems the owners had with that were not covered once the dealers found out what caused the trouble.
      Daniel, I know this question might sound a bit rude but could you post some more details about the technical background - for example an installation manual would be nice to see.
      P.S.: Some of the mentioned "features" are simple control module coding changes and I guess the community already knows that (we've shown some of them with the Eos in our booth at AAPEX/SEMA 2 weeks ago). The nav coding doesn't solve the "accept" issue, so as Daniel said that requires some deeper digging.

Modified by Theresias at 3:57 AM 11-14-2006

7. 11-14-2006 03:34 AM #31
      Will it be infrared or radio operated wih regard to the remote feature? You mentioned the roof could be remote activated with the factory key. What is the maximum distance from the vehicle that the remote will activate and does it require a line of sight connection between the key and a sensor?

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      11-14-2006 06:14 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Theresias »
      ...The nav coding doesn't solve the "accept" issue, so as Daniel said that requires some deeper digging.

Quite lengthy investigation into possible ways to disable the 'accept' screen on the Phaeton nav system led to the discovery that there are two different part numbers used for Phaeton nav systems - one for North America, and one for the rest of the world (ROW). Because the 'accept' screen logic was buried deep in the programming of the North American unit, it was impossible to overcome by simple programming changes.
      The Touareg, on the other hand, uses the same nav display unit worldwide. So, just changing the 'country of operation' setting (typically found in the instrument cluster controller, controller 17) away from USA or Canada and to Europe got rid of the accept screen. Mind you, that also kissed off AM radio reception, because the unit then switched over to 9 kHz AM channel spacing (the European standard), instead of 10 kHz AM channel spacing (the North American standard).
      Michael

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      11-14-2006 06:54 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by northvw »
      Will it be infrared or radio operated wih regard to the remote feature? You mentioned the roof could be remote activated with the factory key. What is the maximum distance from the vehicle that the remote will activate and does it require a line of sight connection between the key and a sensor?

The standard remote operates at 315 MHz (NAR) and 433.92 MHz (RoW) and has a range between 20-80 m mostly depending on the area you are in and other interfering signals. So it's not infrared and does not require a line of sight.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      11-14-2006 09:12 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Theresias »
      P.S.: Some of the mentioned "features" are simple control module coding changes and I guess the community already knows that (we've shown some of them with the Eos in our booth at AAPEX/SEMA 2 weeks ago).

Could you maybe expand on this in a new thread? I looked on the website and couldn't find anything...

11. 11-14-2006 09:56 AM #35
      As it uses the factory key the remote operation is RF, therefore the maximum distance between the car and you can be as far as it is to lock/unlock the doors (because you use the same remote).

Vehicles
      '15 BMW i3 REx
      11-14-2006 03:07 PM #36
      Just found this link: EOS Roof Module.
      I have to say a few things here about either of these modules:
      (1) The EOS is an extremely complicated roof. As much as I would love to be able to put roof up & down via remote, I want to know more first about how this module goes about accomplishing this task.
      (2) I would HIGHLY recommend against operating the roof whilst moving. Or, at the least, set the operating speed limit to something like 10 mph so you can start moving the top as you come to a stop and/or finish operation as you pull away from a stop. Operating the top while in motion, given the intricate nature of its workings, just makes me want to cringe. And, while I don't know for sure, I'm reasonably confident the control module stores incidents where top operation was halted due to motion commencing, so the service department would be able to find if the top was operated while in motion.
      --Chris

13. 11-14-2006 03:23 PM #37
      the factory roof controller does not store any information about halted operations at all. The roof operation has been tested up to 40mph - as advised in an earlier post here, it is recommended to operate the roof at the slowest speed possible - our engineers found something around 30mph to be reasonable and practical during everyday operation.

14. 11-14-2006 05:51 PM #38
      I would be more concerned about the trunk lid rather than the roof. I would think that the open lid would create significant wind resistance at 30-40 MPH. That said, it makes sense to be able to move the car at some moderate speed while the roof is operating. I will be interested to learn more about the new roof control module.

15. 11-14-2006 07:56 PM #39
      if you look carefully at the trunk as well as the hinges you will notice that wind won't be a problem there as there is enough room for the air to move and the construction is very sturdy.
      The wind creates almost no drag on the roof itself, if you open/close it whilst driving due to the design of the roof (sandwich).

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      11-15-2006 02:53 AM #40
      Quote, originally posted by gilesrulz »
      Could you maybe expand on this in a new thread?

Michael (PanEuropean) plans to set up some introductory pages for the Eos forum, so we'll put this information/links in there too.
      Quote, originally posted by chrisj428 »
      I'm reasonably confident the control module stores incidents where top operation was halted due to motion commencing, so the service department would be able to find if the top was operated while in motion.

Correct, current control modules store freeze frame data, which usually includes date, time and often the current vehicle speed. Besides that I absolutely agree and won't suggest operating the roof at any speed higher than 10 mph. The roof itself is very sophisticated but it's easy to twist and once this happens you are screwed. Webasto had a tough time with making the roof ready for the market, which is also why the product introduction got delayed by 6 month in Europe.
      the factory roof controller does not store any information about halted operations at all.

Are you really sure about that?
      if you look carefully at the trunk as well as the hinges you will notice that wind won't be a problem there as there is enough room for the air to move and the construction is very sturdy.

Indeed, the wind might not be an issue, however while opening the trunk in a roof operation process, the tail lights are probably being covered and those driving behind won't be able to see turn and brake signals which is of course an unsafe driving situation. Also please keep in mind that the optional wind blocker/stopper requires a manual operation by the driver when closing/opening the roof.

Vehicles
      2020 Jetta SEL
      11-15-2006 07:37 AM #41
      So the module allows operation of the roof up to 40 mph, that doesn't mean that you have to open the roof at those speeds. FWIW, there are a few convertibles on the market that allow the operation of the roof up to 31 mph, Porsche being one of them.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos, 2005 VW Passat TDI, 2002 Mazda MPV
      11-15-2006 07:56 AM #42
      Quote, originally posted by Pelican18TQA4 »
      So the module allows operation of the roof up to 40 mph, that doesn't mean that you have to open the roof at those speeds. FWIW, there are a few convertibles on the market that allow the operation of the roof up to 31 mph, Porsche being one of them.

And then there are some where doing that would be like opening a speed brake on a jet fighter. Ever seen a 59 Ford Retractible in operation - truly impressive given its massive size. The trunk is hinged at the rear, not the front and it goes vertical during the operation.
      One time a friend and I were out in her's and she decided to put the top down at a light in front of a Porsche dealership. You should have seen all the salesmen inside come running to the window to watch.

19. 11-15-2006 10:09 AM #43
      100% sure. all the roof controller stores are DTC's - that means if it has detected a fault. a simple halt of the operation does not store any DTC's or freeze frames at all. It also does not store data at to what speed you have opened it or what angle the car was in at that time and so on.
      Webasto didn't have problems with the roof itself or its operation. it was the rubber seals which didn't work as they are supposed to do! The roof is not really that much different from previous designs when it comes to the realization. the only difference is the power sunroof which required an additional motor inside the second element and a different control unit.

20. 11-15-2006 10:29 AM #44
      EXACTLY!
      Actually there are many systems which allow opening at a speed of around 20-30mph - Porsche having one of them. The Porsche roof is tested by the manufacturer up to 60kmh which is why this feature can be enabled through coding - not offering it to the public doesn't mean it is not working or unsafe. A manufacturer has to consider many reasons for providing or not providing such a feature. For example the SLK is able to open/close the roof at 30kmh - that is if you happen to have a Japanese version - all others get 8kmh.
      Nobody advised you to go street racing whilst you open the roof (or close it for that matter).
      USE your common sense: the feature is there, one can use it. We have tested it at 40mph many hundred times (and the roof is still working). It is totally clear to anyone who has a drivers license that he/she should avoid any action in traffic which might put others in danger! right?
      So if someone is tailgating you, then of course you would not want to open the roof whilst driving. right? The same might be the case in busy traffic situations.
      But what about an empty road... nobody in front of you and nobody behind? why shouldn't you be able to open the roof at a decent speed in this situation?
      And once again: NOBODY is forcing you to do so at 40mph! You can set the speed limit or you can simply stay below it - when i last time checked my car i was under the impression that i control the throttle and therefore the speed i am driving at.
      All this module does is that it adds the features. Those features have been tested many hundred times. As mentioned before the module does not alter or control the roof operation itself. the factory module handles all this and therefore all the safety features are still in place.

21. 11-15-2006 10:53 AM #45
      As promised, the first videos are up. some more will follow this week (use the link on my signature to watch them).
      We also got the final allocation numbers for this year. we will be getting 200 modules from which are pre-ordered around 100 already. I will put the discount coupon code as well as the description and available qty's to forum members online by tomorrow afternoon.

22. 11-15-2006 06:44 PM #46
      Add me.

Vehicles
      2020 Jetta SEL
      11-15-2006 08:07 PM #47
      Very nice! When I eventually get an Eos I'll be sure to pick up one of these modules.

24. 11-16-2006 04:20 PM #48
      posted some more videos

25. 11-16-2006 05:03 PM #49
      The videos do a nice job of showing the additional features your module offers.

26. 11-16-2006 05:36 PM #50
      I would think the ability to close or open the top while moving would be most helpfull when you are at a traffic light and the light changes before you are done opening or closing the top. So in that case you probably would be finished before you hit 20mph if you don't accelerate quickly.
      You probably would have someone behind you though So if the person in front of you stops short and and the person behind you is both gawking at your convertable top operation and not able to see your brake lights then that might put you at some risk...probably not that high a risk if you aren't accelerating that quickly though.
      Of course that doesn't mean this isn't a great product, the product only put this at YOUR discretion, not vw's!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast