VWVortex.com - Man vs. Wild
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man vs. Wild

1. 12-09-2006 04:14 PM #1
      Has anyone seen this? I love the show, but some of the scenes leave me with questions.
      Does he film himself, or does he have a crew?
      Are the scenes shot real time, or are they recreated?
      It just seems wierd that he's fighting for his own survival while there's a camera crew right there who have gore-tex jackets and the north face tents. It would seem like could cheat and live off of his camera crew.
      Anyhow, just some observations I made. Regardless, still a good show.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-09-2006 05:09 PM #2
      I too love this show. Such great entertainment.
      And yes, he does have a very well equipped camera crew, who are instructed to not interfere in any manner unless Bear's life is on the line. What does that mean? Well it means that Bear isn't truly fighting for survival, because if need be, there is an escape route. However, everything you see Bear do, he actually does. He gets no help of any kind.

4. 12-09-2006 05:16 PM #3
      Prelusion, have you seen the most current show, where he escapes from location within the Sierra-Nevada mountain range? In the episode he builds a raft, and rides it down a river. He hits some white-water, and is separated from his raft. Well, he fights to make it to shore, and then as he is pulling himself out of the water, there's a camera view right on him. It's like they knew where his raft would fail, and at what spot he would enter the shore.
      Like I said, the show is very entertaining, but it seems like it might be a part of a skit, or at least recreated later.

Modified by Brett92 at 5:18 PM 12-9-2006

Vehicles
      09 Harley Night Rod Special
      12-09-2006 05:39 PM #4
      I love that show... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      He's ex British commando, if you didn't know,, even if he has a camera crew,, all the survival skills he has in the show are for real.. I've done some survival training myself, from Boy Scouts to 3rd Group, but I learn something new everytime I watch.
      Now if you like this show,, you would probably like Survivor Man .. that guy takes his own camera equipment, but the environments are usually a little bit more tame than Man vs. Wild.

6. 12-09-2006 06:53 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by _Gumby_ »
      I love that show... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Absolutely! I was hooked after watching the first episode.

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emgift.gif[/IMG]

7. 12-09-2006 07:46 PM #6
      Bear is the man, but homeboy on Surviorman might have him beat.
      Bear's camera crew is def questionable. They spend a lot of time off camera, arranging shots with the crew and whatnot. If Survivorman wants a cool shot he has to go to the location, set up the camera, walk back to where he wants to be, then walk toward the camera like there is a crew.
      I love both of those shows so much, but ****ing discovery channel doesn't have either on DVD.
      BTW since you guys watch those two shows, I'm sure you've seen my favorite of all; "I shouldn't Be Alive." [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337, 1994 Mazda Miata
      12-10-2006 12:53 AM #7
      I like both shows too. But I like Survivorman better mainly because he does all of the camera work on his own, which as seen on the show, is a lot of work. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      12-10-2006 09:07 AM #8
      I like Les Stroud (Survivorman) better because he is definitely all out there on his own and in far greater actual peril at each moment. He's double tired from doing nearly everything twice due to setting up his equipment then going back to get it.
      http://www.lesstroudonline.com/ According to his site, new eps coming to Discovery Channel in late February. ;thumbup:

That said, Man vs. Wild is still a very informative and entertaining show and I've seen all of them. Judging from some of the comments on the TLC message boards about the show, there are definitely some people unhappy with the amount of (apparent) editing, re-takes and setups on the show.
      http://community.discovery.com...71848

Vehicles
      84 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2, 82 VW Rabbit G60
      12-10-2006 09:22 AM #9
      survivorman > man vs wild
      WTB: Corrado/Passat Sebrings. PM Me.

Vehicles
      A domestic and an import, but not beer.
      12-10-2006 12:01 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Black G60 »

+1
      Don't get me wrong, I'm sure wildman is a badass in his own right, but Les comes across as more humble, which makes him more likable, instead of "look at how wild I am."
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

12. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      12-10-2006 10:52 PM #11
      Very good show. I like Survivorman also, but the wife won't really watch it.
      She will watch Man vs Wild though.
      Bear's awesome. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      12-10-2006 10:55 PM #12
      Survivorman >>> Man vs. Wild for the reasons alread stated.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      12-10-2006 11:54 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by jduarte »
      I love both of those shows so much, but ****ing discovery channel doesn't have either on DVD.

Season 1 of Survivorman is available on DVD from Les' website.
      http://www.lesstroudonline.com/shop.html
      test test Maki says "hello"

12-11-2006 11:14 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Black G60 »

x2
      MvsW is really cool and entertaining, but something about makes it feel scripted.
      Survivorman, now that's something IMO. He's out in the middle of nowhere with very basic tools and tons of camera equipment that he has to carry around and operate while trying not to die. I'm sure he has some sort of GPS and a panic button just in case he were to be injured, and the crew does come to find him if he doesn't make the deadline, but even so I think it is a better show.
      2017 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium

Former VW's- 1972 Super Beetle, 2000 New Beetle 1.8T, 2008 GTI, 2011 GTI, 2014 GLI

16. 12-11-2006 12:00 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Lwize »
      Season 1 of Survivorman is available on DVD from Les' website.
      http://www.lesstroudonline.com/shop.html

TY [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

17. 12-11-2006 01:05 PM #16
      Always watched survivorman but it does get lame how he always moves the cams etc. Makes it a bitch to watch sometimes cause its like hes trying to act cool by screwing himself over? lol.
      However this man vs wild thing, has he ever got sick from eating all that raw meat and crap?

18. 12-11-2006 10:08 PM #17
      I saw the episode where he shows how to survive if you get lost in the Grand Canyons. He literally pee'd in his t-shirt and wrapped it around his head and face to cool himself down.

19. 12-11-2006 10:59 PM #18
      I'm a bigger fan of Man Vs. Wild because Bear is (to me) much more entertaining and interesting than Les Stroud. However, there are two things about the show that do bug me:
      1.) He has a camera crew. That means retakes, set-up shots, and to an extent, a created storyline.
      2.) Bear (because he's a badass) does a lot of stuff that would get the average person killed!

20. 12-11-2006 11:04 PM #19
      that was pretty crazy when he tested out his method of saving yourself when falling into a crevice.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Odyssey, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      12-12-2006 04:32 AM #20
      What time (central time) and what channel is man vs wild on. Ive never seen this show but I love survivor man.

22. 12-12-2006 06:33 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by an204421 »
      What time (central time) and what channel is man vs wild on. Ive never seen this show but I love survivor man.

For me(east coast, comcast cable), it comes on the Discovery channel at 9:00pm on fridays. Another good survival show, "I shouldn't be alive", follows at 10:00pm. Sucks that it comes on Fridays, but you can normally catch it on Saturday or Sunday at a different time. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      12-12-2006 09:33 AM #22
      he doesn't have a camera crew on every show.
      the one where he was set up as being in a plane crash (forget where...snow, ice, cold) he is actually out there on his own. it was the one where he set a snare with a wire from the plane and snagged a wabbit.
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

Vehicles
      12-12-2006 09:57 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by Time for a GTI »
      he doesn't have a camera crew on every show.
      the one where he was set up as being in a plane crash (forget where...snow, ice, cold) he is actually out there on his own. it was the one where he set a snare with a wire from the plane and snagged a wabbit.

That was Les, Survivorman, not Bear: Man vs. Wild.
      Man vs. Wild ALWAYS has a camera crew, Les NEVER does.

Vehicles
      12-12-2006 10:08 AM #24
      Some excerpts from the MvW naysayers on the Discovery bbs....
      Quote »
      I have been studying wilderness survival for most of my 39 years and this ridiculous Man vs. Wild program makes me physically ill. The "tips" that this show portrays will in fact get someone killed.
      The huge majority of advice that this suggests are exactly the opposite that one should do in the same situation. Eating a raw snake? Figuring water is safe because crawfish live in it?? Climbing down a waterfall??? Who exactly is this guy trying to impress?
      I just got done watching the Sierra Nevada episode and the only thing it taught me was how hard I can laugh at a television show.
      First... Clubbing what was clearly a domestic rabbit in the field was laughable. Not only is that type of stick hunting incredibly hard, it is also an amazing energy waster. You would be much better off simply making snares and waiting. But then again, when a film crew ties a domestic rabbit in the middle of a grass field, what have you got to lose?
      The "wild" horse was my personal favorite moment. I have been around wild horses... and they do NOT just quietly graze while you walk up to them. It is amazing how all of those "wild" horses had saddle marks.. hmmm... I wonder how much they paid the wrangler to not laugh to loud while standing off camera?
      Eating the snake??? Well, if your goal is to get as sick as you possibly can while lost in the wilderness than by all means, eat a raw snake... or any animal raw for that matter.
      His advice is .. DANGEROUS.
      My advice is watch Les Stroud's Survivorman series. His show has solid advice, advice that can and will save your life if you are lost in the wilderness. It is just that simple.

Regarding the rabbit...
      Quote »
      Ummm anyone else notice that the rabbit was pure white??? You couldnt tell that during the actual show but they didnt do the weird effect in the little teaser just before the commercial break. Now at that time of year a snowshoe hare would be brown.... Which is the only type of wild white rabbit. Im of the opinion that it was probablly a planted tame rabbit. Now its quite possible that it was a re-creation of something he actually did in the wild and they missed filming....Or it could just be a complete fabrication.
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      You're right about the rabbit being tame...out in the meadow during the heat of the day is very unlikely...with predators around, like halks and coyotes. Yes snowshoe rabbits are brown duing the summer and have larger ears and big feet.During the actual show they had some oval thing around the rabbit that Did the negative color effect. I suppose for drama or whatever. You only see the actual color of the rabbit during the little teaser thing they have Before the commercials preceding the part of the show where they show him taking the rabbit. I have it on tivo ive checked it a few times.
      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      The "Negative Effect" was an attempt to hide what type of rabbit it was. By looking at the big floppy ears and the over-all large size of the rabbit, I would venture to guess that the rabbit was purchased at the same place the "wild" horse was. This show is pathetic. It is entertaining however.

it just goes on adn aon... http://community.discovery.com...15558

26. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      12-12-2006 10:21 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Sporin »
      That was Les, Survivorman, not Bear: Man vs. Wild.

really? my memory deceives me
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast