VWVortex.com - 02J Shift Box/Cables and Shift Tower retrofit into/onto an 02A..lots of pics
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 02J Shift Box/Cables and Shift Tower retrofit into/onto an 02A..lots of pics

Vehicles
      2000 S4, 2017 Audi A4, 1990 Corrado 16vT, 1993 Corrado, 1999 Jeep WJ V8 4x4, more
      07-18-2007 10:01 AM #1
      Sorry if something like this thread already exists. I've seen a couple mentions to doing this, but nothing all that detailed. Grab a beer because this post is a bit long...
      Basically what I wanted to do was replace the factory sloppy 02A shift box/cable setup, with something more precise and newer feeling. On all of the 02J/02M cars I have driven, the shifters felt much nicer and more solid/precise than my 02A setups.
      My reasons for performing this swap are:
      -More precise shift feel
      -Much less 'slop' than the factory 02A stuff
      -Readily available short shift setups (TT shifter, B&M, Diesel Geek etc).
      -Readily available parts (from any 02J car).
      First off the parts required....
      -Your original 02A transmission is retained so that is a plus
      -02J shift box and cables (with cable bracket that mounts to the tranny)
      -02J shift tower/shift weight
      -02J shift tower receiver portion (this was required on a G60 box, but not on a VR6 box...the part I am talking about is on the bottom of the tranny and sometimes has the VW logo cast into it...it accepts the shift tower shaft on the transmission).
      -02J style shift knob, aftermarket knob which attaches via set screws, or some way to thread the 02J shifter shaft to 12x1.5mm. The 02J shifter shaft is not threaded like the Corrado/other VWs. It is also slightly larger than a 12x1.5mm die, so threading it may be quite hard. I gave up and am just going to run an aftermarket shift knob with set screws.
      -(2) 8mmx1.25 bolts, 50mm in length
      -(30) or so 5/16" washers
      - New style reverse light plug/connector
      Note: There are 3 styles of shift towers/cables. The very early style uses a shift tower with plastic connection points and a big black plastic housing on top of the shift tower like the 02A VR6 shift tower. It also uses a shift box/cable setup very much like the 02A stuff. I would not recommend using this type of shift tower/cable/box setup. The 2000+ styles use all metal on the shift tower and connection points, and a floating ball design at the shift box (the piece you shift with pivots on a ball). The 2 recommended types are described here...The early style (2000 to 2002 I believe) uses ball/socket style cable connections at the tower. These are at the up/down and side-to-side connection points on the shift tower. If you run this style, you must run the cable ends that match. The late style is 2002+ I believe, and uses a pin and retaining clip. If you run this style shift tower you must use this style cable ends. The cable ends are interchangeable though, so if you have a ball/socket shift tower, and a pin/clip style cable setup, you can just source ball/socket style cable ends. I am using the later pin/clip style.
      Shifter Comparison
      The top box is a stock 02A shifter and the bottom is an 02J. The 02J uses a floating ball design and feels much more precise than the older 02A box.

Box/Cable assembly comparison. In the pic the 02J box starts a bit to the left when compared to the 02A. Also on the 02J box, I do not have the cable ends attached, but overall cable length is very similar when lined up side by side.

And here is the 02J Shift tower assembly (mounted on the 02A..I'll detail this later, but wanted to show what it looks like so you can compare to your factory 02A.

I'm adding more details/pics/instructions in the next post to keep this somewhat organized....gimme a few mins....
      Modified by radoboy at 10:08 AM 3-30-2009

Modified by radoboy at 11:50 AM 1-25-2010
      Last edited by radoboy; 06-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      2000 S4, 2017 Audi A4, 1990 Corrado 16vT, 1993 Corrado, 1999 Jeep WJ V8 4x4, more
      07-18-2007 10:20 AM #2
      Ok continuing....
      Remove stock components
      The first step is to remove your factory 02A shift box/cable setup. I didn't detail this step because everyones car is different. You basically disconnect the cat/exhaust from the downpipe, remove the heat shield in the tunnel, remove the shifter surround/boot assembly from inside the car, then drop the shift box/cable setup. There are (2) 13mm bolts (8x1.25 thread) attaching the cable bracket to the transmission in a g60, or (3) 13mm attaching the bracket to the VR6 02a...remove these, and the shift box, and the entire assembly should come out.
      Here is how it should look when the factory tower is removed

Modifications to allow 02J box to mount to tunnel
      As you can see in the previous pictures, the 02J shift box is a good bit longer than the 02A shift box. Also the 02A shift box is mounted with (4) 8x1.25 bolts from the bottom of the tunnel. The 02J on the other hand, is designed to be mounted with (2) bolts from the bottom on the rear side of the box, then it has 2 threaded studs on the front side of the box, which accept nuts from the inside of the car to hold it in place.
      First step is to remove the brackets inside the tunnel which would normally hold the front of the 02A shift box. I used an air powered cut off wheel. Insert standard disclaimer about eye protection etc here.
      Cut the 2 brackets that are towards the FRONT of the car

What is looks like when you are done

Now we need to see about mounting the 02J shift box to the Corrado tunnel. I removed the cables from the shift box, to make test fitting the 02J shift box in the tunnel easier during modifications...
      Holding the 02J shift box into the Corrado tunnel, you will see that the 2 rear bolt holes on the 02J box, are pretty close to the factory 2 rear mounting provisions...but they aren't quite there. So you must elongate the 2 rear mounting holes on the 02J shift box. I have marked where they must be elongated in this picture

and here is what they look like after I took a die grinder/carbide to them.

You should now be able to test fit the box in the tunnel, and the rear bolt holes you just modified will line up with the 2 factory rear nutserts. The next thing you may notice is that the (2) threaded bolts on the 02J box, aren't quite long enough to reach the top of the tunnel and inside the car.

Here they are from the back side. Remove these with a torx socket

I replaced the factory ones with (2) 8mmx1.25 50mm length bolts. I used a washer behind each one.

Here you can see they are a good bit longer than the stockers

Now the shifter box modifications are complete...I'll start another post about mounting the shift box in the tunnel....

Modified by radoboy at 11:53 AM 1-25-2010
      Last edited by radoboy; 06-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

Vehicles
      07-18-2007 10:50 AM #3
      Mounting the shift box
      Now that the rear holes are elongated, and the front studs have been lengthened, it is time to see what else is required to mount this thing in the Corrado tunnel...
      Take the (2) gold torx bolts with washers that you removed from the 02J shift tower. These are 8x1.25...with the built in washers, they are perfect for mounting the rear of the shift box to the tunnel (in the elongated holes). Test fit the box now but do not tighten the torx all the way down yet....the longer studs you installed will be pushing against the tunnel (we will drill holes for them in a minute).

Once the shift box is test fitted, take a sharpie and mark around where the (2) studs hit the tunnel. Remove the shift box, then take a drill bit and carefully drill them out (the dash is up there, so go slow and don't use too much pressure or you will put 2 nice drill holes in the bottom of the dash). I used a drill bit about 50% larger than the 8mm studs.

Note...in the tunnel I cut a little off the drivers-side of the openning. This was because the shift mechanism was very close to that side when test shifting....you may or may not need to do this. I used the cutoff wheel and squared off the openning on that side.
      After you drill the 2 holes in the front, you can test mount the shift box to make sure the 2 studs line up/pass through the 2 holes you drilled in the tunnel. It is helpful to have someone inside the car to hold the shift box while you are mounting it.
      Once you have the box test mounted, verify the studs pass through the newly drilled holes from inside the car. I attached (2) 8mm nuts to the studs to hold the box from the top. I threaded them just enough where the studs thread to the top surface of the nuts.

After I did this, I made sure the shift box felt pretty level. Then I removed the nuts, and marked the threads with a sharpie to indicate the area the nuts took up on the threads (you will see why in a second)....

Since the studs have an 'air gap' between the shifter box and the tunnel, something is needed to take this space up and provide a solid attachment when the nuts are tightened. I used some 5/16" washers, but you can get creative and use solid spacers or a cross brace of some sort. I added washers to the point where I had marked with a sharpie on the studs, then verified by threading the nuts on the studs.

After this you are ready to attach the cables again inside the box, place the lower cover back on the shift box (you had to remove it to get to the stock studs and remove the cables), and install in the car.
      Here she is installed

A few more details coming in the next post....

Modified by radoboy at 11:53 AM 1-25-2010
      Last edited by radoboy; 06-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

Vehicles
      07-18-2007 11:02 AM #4
      Shift Tower Install
      I don't have too many pics of this but it is rather straight forward...I'll take some updated pics asap and add to this thread...
      Basically to remove your factory shift tower from the tranny, you disconnect the cables (this should already be done at this point), then remove the (2) 13mm on each side of the shift tower. Make sure the shift tower is in neutral. Once the 13s are removed, you should be able to break the sealant loose on the 02A shift tower to remove it.
      Installing the 02J shift tower is very straight forward. Some boxes require you to swap the lower tower receiver portion, others do not. You can verify this by test fitting the 02J shift tower...if it goes all the way in,and you can seat it on the transmission case, you are set. If the shaft of the 02J does not slide into the receiver on the bottom of the tranny, you will need to drain your gear oil and install the 02J shift tower receiver on the bottom of the tranny (then refill with gear oil). Some 02As use big shafts like the 02J, others use a smaller shaft which will not accept the 02J tower without replacing the receiver. I believe all VR6 use the big shaft and some G60.
      Shift tower installed....

Once the shift tower is installed, you will need to cut the connector off your 02A reverse light switch (factory Corrado harness), and splice in the 02J style reverse light plug. The 02J uses a rounded connector and the 02A uses a rectangular one. Both are 2 pin connectors.

Cable Setup/Bracket
      My car has a 3" downpipe and a bunch of other stuff in the way...in a near stock car this step is very straight forward....
      The 02J shift cable bracket has 3 mounting points. If installing onto a VR6 tranny all 3 line up no problem. If installing onto a G60 02A, only the 2 closest to the firewall work (as the G60 02A has only 2 threaded provisions for cable bracket). You can just dis-regard the 3rd hole. Once the cable is mounted, you attach the cable ends to the cables and to the tower and you are done.
      I didn't put pics of my cable bracket as I had to modify the stock one to clear the downpipe. Most setups will not have to do this and I didn't want to confuse anyone.
      Misc other stuff
      In a Corrado the 2 new studs/nuts interfere with the shifter surround mount/center console. You can test fit it on top of the studs/nuts, then clearance the plastic and it will mount like factory.

As mentioned in the first post, the 02J shifter shaft is not threaded. You can try and thread it to 12mmx1.5 but I was unable to with my die set. I am sourcing a shift knob from Sparco/Momo etc, or you can always use a MK4 knob.
      Initial impressions
      The car shifts much smoother and has a better feel compared to my old 02A box. I'm going to test this out some more on the street and report back. I'd say it is a pretty easy modification just time consuming.

Modified by radoboy at 11:54 AM 1-25-2010
      Last edited by radoboy; 06-19-2013 at 01:28 PM.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      07-21-2007 09:02 AM #5
      This question may be obvious, but is the 02j Shift tower designed that much different that the 02a? I understand the cable ends are different and such so using it will be easier, but just wondering what the advantages are switching the shift towers if the 02a is in good shape.
      I going to be doing the same sort of swap. It was either swap to and 02m, or keep the 02a and "update it". I picked up and 02m shift box a little while back, which pretty much looks the same as the 02J. The cable throw is similar to the 02a but the shifter movement is much less (i.e. like a short shifter already) as compared to the 02a.
      Nice writeup.
      S

Vehicles
      '07 Audi S4 Avant, '93 Corrado SLC
      07-21-2007 10:08 AM #6
      This is why he did the conversion... first post...
      Quote, originally posted by radoboy »
      My reasons for performing this swap are:
      -More precise shift feel
      -Much less 'slop' than the factory 02A stuff
      -Readily available short shift setups (TT shifter, B&M, Diesel Geek etc).
      -Readily available parts (from any 02J car).
      Shifter Comparison
      The top box is a stock 02A shifter and the bottom is an 02J. The 02J uses a floating ball design and feels much more precise than the older 02A box.

Modified by radoboy at 11:03 AM 7-18-2007

Vehicles
      '07 Audi S4 Avant, '93 Corrado SLC
      07-21-2007 10:11 AM #7
      Excellent write up Brien! very simple indeed...but as you said just time consuming! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Just keep the pics up for a bit longer I need to save this post with pics lol!

9. 07-21-2007 10:14 AM #8
      nice write up brien. but thanks for making me feel like i should have doen this. lol.
      Hit me up for Air Lift, Accuair, and Rotiform products! [email protected]

10. 07-21-2007 11:27 AM #9
      To the FAQ [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      D2 S8, B5 A4 V8
      07-21-2007 02:09 PM #10
      The 02J shift cable bracket has 3 mounting points. If installing onto a VR6 tranny all 3 line up no problem. If installing onto a G60 02A, only the 2 closest to the firewall work (as the G60 02A has only 2 threaded provisions for cable bracket). You can just dis-regard the 3rd hole. Once the cable is mounted, you attach the cable ends to the cables and to the tower and you are done.

The G60 02A does have all three holes (all 02As do) - the 3rd normally has a plastic plug in it [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Nice write up
      Mikki x
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      07-21-2007 04:59 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by turboit »
      This is why he did the conversion... first post...

Please take the time to read what I wrote and you would understand that I was asking a specific question about the 02j Shift tower design in comparison to the 02a...
      The shift box itself is a better design than the 02a which is why I was already headed in this direction.
      Again, my question was specific to the design of the 02j Shift Tower.
      Thanks though...

Modified by sdezego at 9:30 PM 7-22-2007

Vehicles
      07-24-2007 09:44 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by MikkiJayne »
      The G60 02A does have all three holes (all 02As do) - the 3rd normally has a plastic plug in it [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Nice write up
      Mikki x

Editted...I'll check tonight . Thnx

Modified by radoboy at 9:54 AM 7-24-2007
      Brien
      boosteddubs

Vehicles
      07-24-2007 09:48 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
      Please take the time to read what I wrote and you would understand that I was asking a specific question about the 02j Shift tower design in comparison to the 02a...
      The shift box itself is a better design than the 02a which is why I was already headed in this direction.
      Again, my question was specific to the design of the 02j Shift Tower.
      Thanks though...

As far as the shift tower...I originally ran this just so I could run the 02J shift box/cable setup as designed (as the cable ends match the 02J tower etc). After installing the 02J shift tower, even with the cables off it feels as if it shifts/engages much nicer...It could be due to the built in shift weight (my 02a tower has no weight) or the design.
      We are finishing up a small modification to the cable bracket on the tranny (as explained earlier, my downpipe is not factory and was in the way of the up/down 02J cable path so we moved this position slightly by modifying the cable bracket). I hope to have it all back together again over the next day or so and will report back with more details. This should take a bit of stress I had off the cable and shift even nicer .
      If anyone has any specific ?s feel free to ask. Thanks also for the comments on the writeup.

Modified by radoboy at 9:50 AM 7-24-2007
      Brien
      boosteddubs

Vehicles
      07-24-2007 11:01 AM #14
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Thanks

16. 07-24-2007 11:32 AM #15
      wow nice write up
      wish this what done when i snapped a cable a few months ago
      but one thing i noticed is the shifter looks to be ALOT higher/longer....

Vehicles
      07-24-2007 12:15 PM #16
      np guys....and yes the shifter is a good bit longer than the 02A one...I actually cut mine down a small bit (you can see a small groove on the 02J shifter in some of the pics...I cut just past this groove). Now it is just a bit taller than the 02A one, but I like it. You could cut more if needed, and thread the shaft or run an aftermarket knob.

Modified by radoboy at 10:49 AM 7-25-2007
      Brien
      boosteddubs

18. 07-24-2007 12:38 PM #17
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] nice writeup
      this is on my list of things to do/upgrade

Vehicles
      93 Corrado SLC
      07-24-2007 10:26 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by pacobonnin »
      To the FAQ [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

x2

Vehicles
      08-02-2007 01:04 PM #19
      OK some quick updates. I've got some time driving with the shifter now and I am definitely liking it. Shifting has definitely improved over the 02A setup that was in the car (and that was from a fairly low milage car). It is hard to explain, but basically shifts feel more exact. Going from 1st to 2nd etc, you feel a nice "click" when you are in gear. Much less slop than the 02A shifter, and you just know it is in gear. I'll report back once I start beating on the car some more and at the track.
      One thing I need to address is a seal between the shift tower and the tunnel. As it is now, there is a slight air gap between the shifter box and the tunnel. Since this car isn't a daily I am not tooo worried about it, but you can feel heat/air come through the shift boot. I will probably fab a plate with a cutout of the shift tower so it makes a 'seal' with the tunnel like the 02A shifter does.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

21. 08-22-2007 09:10 PM #20
      subscribed to use for future...
      and how is it going shift wise?

Vehicles
      08-23-2007 09:20 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by speeding-g60 »
      subscribed to use for future...
      and how is it going shift wise?

Shifting is going much better than with the 02A stuff. I am able to shift at higher rpm for some reason. My 1/4 mile times dropped .3 of a sec from when I had the 02A box versus 02J shift setup....not saying this is typical as my 02A setup may not have been perfect, but it was a definite improvement for me.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

23. 08-23-2007 09:41 AM #22
      I am able to shift at higher rpm for some reason. My 1/4 mile times dropped .3 of a sec from when I had the 02A box versus 02J shift setup.....

you must KNOW what i want to hear LOL

Vehicles
      08-23-2007 01:56 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by speeding-g60 »
      you must KNOW what i want to hear LOL

I will be hitting the track again Wednesday if I can get a fueling issue resolved before then. Can't really go crazy with the 1st/2nd gear RPM on the street due to wheel spin...but 3rd to 4th on the street is still feeling nice at higher rpm (with all normal driving rpm shifts feeling nice), and 1/2/3 felt great last time at the track on the new shift setup. In a few weeks I am going to try a 4.24 box I am building for the track, so I should have another shift at the track to report on soon .
      Brien
      boosteddubs

25. 08-23-2007 02:11 PM #24
      i JUST built (have not yet reinstalled that is saturday) a 3.94 box.... my main one. i am now finding out that it is not going to be really good for me, and that i should have done a 3.68 or so....
      they say i will have to go into 5th by the end of the 1/4.... i want to be at the top of 4th....
      keep posted on this?
      i am gonna run my new built box on the 31st.... my best run is 12.3 @ 111, on 23" slicks with 10psi air, 2050-ish lb car, peloquin LSD. car is 5600-5700 thru the traps in 4th and thats no good..

Vehicles
      08-23-2007 02:57 PM #25
      I'll def keep you posted. We can BS via PM if this starts to clutter this thread, but what rpm are you reving to? Shoot me a PM with your gearing/rev limit and I can see how it looks in gear calc. I'm running VR6 02A gearing with a 3.389 final now and am not even all the way through 3rd at the end of the 1/4. I like the 3.389 for the street (125ish in 3rd, 160ish in 4th on 205/40/16s), but it is hard to get decent times with such tall gearing and tires (24.5s) for me at the track. 3.94 or 4.24 would put me a good bit of the way through 4th with my 24.5s and 8300rpm rev limit if needed.
      My best ET after 3 track visits is a 12.022 at 119 and change. Hoping the 4.24 will put me a good bit into 4th. We'll see how traction goes though.
      Brien
      boosteddubs

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast