1,183-horsepower and 1094 ft.-lbs. of torque
255.83 mph

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/

Modified by elevine17 at 9:02 PM 9-18-2007

See less See more
#56 ·
Re: (markfiver)

Quote, originally posted by markfiver »
lets put this simply the ssc is a car for americans who simply want to say "I have the fastest car in the world!" and im just guessing that the power output on the car is massive. Who the hell wants to ride around all day with a car that powerful with a standard transmission, the clutch would most likely eat your leg whole after an hour in the car. The bugatti on the other hand can be sedate, and is able to cruise all day long. Its a car for people with class and money, not solely money. The ssc looks like garbage as well, the bugatti looks like high art rolling on four gorgeous wheels. I don't care if this thing can go a few miles per hour faster, can anyone here actually differentiate between 256 mph and 270? the answer is no. So who cares other than rich americans with ego's bigger than the ssc's power output? No one

#1 - why would anyone buy a car to do 200+? no, not because they're egotistic Americans but maybe because it's a performance car - expect it to be loud, have a heavy clutch (manual...thank God), etc.
#2 - you want class and comfort go find something w/ leather seats and an automatic transmission - truth is not many (if anyone) in here is wealthy enough to buy the amazing package the Bugatti offers.
#3 - hats off to the engineering - that out of an engine half the size with as half as many turbos...wow. and i dont think it looks that bad http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#57 ·
Re: (Blue20thAE)

first off the ssc's engine is being pushed to the absolute maximum it can handle, and what reputable tuner shop weather specializing in domestics or imports can't do that? Where as the bugatti's engine is not in any way being pushed to it's maximum capacity which makes it that much better. Also, why should anyone who pays even as much as they would for the ssc expect things such as an extremely heavy clutch? This is why the bugatti is special yet again, whilst being extremely expensive it is paving the road for future supercars and cars in general by proving that even a car with 1001 horsepower on tap can be a livable everyday driver provided you can afford the gas bill. Where as the ssc is simply a redundant piece of engineering.

#60 ·
Re: (crookedletterd)

really i respect the veyron greatly for what it is but in all honesty im still more drawn to the pagani zonda f and the koenigsegg. I know ill never be able to afford any of these cars but if i could i wouldnt buy the veyron, in comparison with the other two cars i've just mentioned it just seems a little too easy and a little too bland for the amount of money.

#63 ·
the SSC it just like every other fast car to come out of the USA. It does one thing well. The Bugatti, was made what, 4-5 years ago and Shelby sould only beat it by 2mph? Not to mention that the Veyron has AC, NAV, Leather... and can be driven by anyone. I'm sry Bugatti got it right. I just hope VW doesn't can them. I'd love to see what they come out with next.

#65 ·
Re: Goodbye Veyron (.2.Slow4U.)

As always.. there will invetibly be something faster, or better that will come along and best the Veyron. In terms of top speed, that has already happened.
I think the point of the Veyron, as the VW-GRP has put it, was that it is a statement car. They don't even make the production costs from it. The idea of the Veyron was to make a car that could get you to 400kph if you wanted, and then drive it around town- around town in winter or the torcherous heat of a desert climate.
I don't think any car has yet to best the Veyron in that respect- and for that I think it truly holds is #1place of being the best Hyper/Super Car- that being, it is still an car. A car that can be used.
Much like how Top Gear won't post the time of a car that can't make it over a speed-bump.

#72 ·
Re: Goodbye Veyron (elevine17)

Quote, originally posted by elevine17 »
Sadly, the veyron has been dethroned by the SSC
V8 twin turbo
1,183-horsepower and 1094 ft.-lbs. of torque
255.83 mph

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/

Modified by elevine17 at 9:02 PM 9-18-2007

I remember the host on 5th gear giving this car no respect.
Even went as far as to make fun of americans. One guy tried to give him an objective view but he didn't want to hear it. Sure it was not penned by a top european design house or have a long history like bugatti. But the bottom line is that it took the speed crown.
this was not about curb appeal it was about speed, and it won.
IMO they are both ugly cars

#74 ·
Re: Goodbye Veyron (graffkng)

This is so stupid. Now that the Veyron is out, every quack thinks that throwing a big V8 into a tarted up race car = true street car. Sorry, but what dealer network am I supposed to take advantage of when servicing that car? A Bugatti is engineered to be a good and luxurious daily driver, not some silly speed queen with a CD radio.

#76 ·
Re: Goodbye Veyron (graffkng)

Quote, originally posted by graffkng »

I hate pointless cars.

Exactly what I was saying to myself! Companies go out on a long skinny leg to produce amazing machines like these. In fact I think I read "Volkswagen/Bugatti lose money on these cars."
EDIT: Anyways, it's funny that a guy in Europe can build a monster machine that can achieve 0-60 in 1 sec. He is a true mechanic!

Modified by autie. at 9:32 AM 7-15-2008

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.