Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY- MK3 Wiper Motor Swap

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      09-27-2007 03:40 PM #1
      PLEASE NOTE: After writing this DIY, I have discovered that there are several slight variations of both the MK1 and MK3 motors. Please review before attempting.

MK1 and MK3 wiper motor comparison picks now added to the bottom of the post.

As we all know, the MK1 Wiper motor leaves little to be desired. With that said, I was able to perform a MK3 Motor swap in about 20 mins and I wanted to share the details with everyone.

Please note that your result may vary. Side effects may include, clearer vision, satisfied feeling in chest area, and a non-removable grin from ear to ear!

Tools you will need for this swap-

22mm Wrench
      13mm Wrench
      10mm Wrench
      Soldering Iron
      Standard Screw Driver
      Bottle or Can of your favorite beverage

The MK3 and MK1 motor assemblies are almost identical with two exceptions.

One- The back plate on the MK1 motor has a stabilizer bracket on it that allows you to bolt it to the mount in your rain tray. The MK3 does not have the mount. Instead the MK3 mount is built into the wiper assembly. No worries, we have a simple fix for that. The bracket I speak of is shown here.

This is the back plate from a MK3. Notice the lack of bracket.

Two- The wiring plug in is completely different lay out however the wiring is exactly the same.

You will note that the MK3 splined shaft is a bit different as well. This difference will have no effect on this install. Difference is noted below.

Lets get started! First remove the entire wiper assembly from the car (this might be obvious for some but not for others) Remove the linkage arm from motor. Remove the motor from the assembly. Break out your soldering iron and remove the RED and GREEN wires running from the motor to the back plate. If your assembly has these diodes (shown below), you can use the soldering iron to remove them as well. The MK3 motor will not require them.

Now remove the back plate. Hang on to this you are going to need it later.

Now take the MK3 Motor in hand and remove the rear plate. Take your soldering iron and remove the same RED and GREEN wires from the back plate. Your MK3 motor may have a little plastic cap over the soldered ends. Just use a screw driver to remove this cap. Discard the MK3 plate, you won't need it. At this time you may want to smear around some of the excess grease around in there to keep the gears well lubed.

Now take the plate from your MK1 motor and bolt it on to the MK3 assembly. Careful to make sure the gasket is in place. Now solder the GREEN wire to the YELLOW post on the back plate and solder the RED wire to the RED post. See pic below (I am using the MK3 plate in this pic but the lay out is the same)

Take sip of favorite beverage. You deserve it!

Now bolt the motor assembly into the wiper assembly. Leave it loose as you will need to adjust it in a moment. DO NOT install the linkage yet!

Install the wiper assembly in the car. With the motor loose you can move it around to align the bracket with the mount in the rain tray. Now tighten everything up! With the linkage still off the motor (IMPORTANT), install the wiring plug. Turn the ignition on, turn on the wipers (make sure the shaft is turning). Now turn them off and let the motor park (don’t forget to turn off the ignition… you don’t want to burn up your points). With the motor in the parked position install linkage at the 3o’clock position (this is if you are standing in front of the car looking at the wiper assembly) and tighten it down. Install the wiper arms.

Now sit back and enjoy your new found goodness (go get another beverage at this time!)

EDIT- I just did this swap on my Swallowtail and discovered that the early car (just like their aircooled brothers) can have SWF motors instead of Bosch. These two motor are almost identical. Here is break down on how to use a MK1 SWF cover plate

MK3 Bosch Motor

MK1 SWF Motor

The plate on the SWF motor is riveted on. Take out a chisel or grinder and remove the top of the rivets. Then lightly tap the plate to remove it from the motor.

The MK1 plate is missing a couple of needed holes in order to mount it to the MK3 motor. Use the MK3 gasket as a guild to mark the holes. You will also note the the existing holes are not quite spot on. I recommend drilling the holes a little bigger to give you some room to align them.

The SWF plate internal contacts are spot on for the MK3 Bosch motor. All you need to do is solder the red and green wires together and you are set to go!

Give me a shout if you have questions!

EDIT: T3Bunny sent me some interesting observations regarding MK3 and MK1 motors. Though I would share.

Quote Originally Posted by T3Bunny
      So I had a couple of these sitting around and decided to open a them up. I learned a few things I thought I would share. First off as suspected there is a huge difference in the windings between the MK1 and the MK3 motors. The MK3 appear to have fewer windings of larger gauge wire. No surprise here as to why they are a lot faster and stronger motors.

They are very similar in design and some of the parts are interchangeable too. If you have a need to open up one and get the case back on they are held to the gearbox by square nuts. Putting them back together requires a couple tricks. First set the armature back into place in the gearbox so you can get the three brushes back on. Then pull off the yellow cloth tape, and use a magnet to slip the nut back into place from the outside.

Another trick is that the main gear is interchangeable. Somehow the original MK1 gear wasn't worn out. But I went through the trouble of the swap to discover that the MK3 motor gear was worn. Be careful when you disassemble the linkage from the motor. The nut on one of mine was frozen. I used an electric impact. Unfortunately because I held the gearbox and not the linkage, it finished off the plastic main gear.

Note: The MK1 motor is the one with green putty on it.

Last edited by WCHLVR; 05-13-2010 at 12:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Geriatric Member JUS_GT_EYEZ's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Green MK1, White Rocco, Red Mk2,Yellow Mk4,Grey Wagon
      09-27-2007 03:48 PM #2
      nice write up..

i will attest to the effectiveness to this mod..

Modified by JUS_GT_EYEZ at 3:58 PM 9-27-2007
      "Its cool to spool, but I'd rather be blown.." - JUS_GT_EYEZ

My FLickr <-- DUKEDLF
      Digital.Life.Form

4. 09-27-2007 03:49 PM #3
      Excellent write-up! A beverage for you, sir: .

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      09-27-2007 03:51 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by JUS_GT_EYEZ &raquo;
      nice write up..

i will contest to the effectiveness to this mod..

Thank you sir! Your tips were instrumental in making this happen! However I believe "contest" might not be the word you were looking for. Maybe "validate"?

6. 09-27-2007 04:01 PM #5

7. Geriatric Member JUS_GT_EYEZ's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Green MK1, White Rocco, Red Mk2,Yellow Mk4,Grey Wagon
      09-27-2007 04:02 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by WCHLVR &raquo;
      Thank you sir! Your tips were instrumental in making this happen! However I believe "contest" might not be the word you were looking for. Maybe "validate"?

Fixed.. My fingers type faster than my mind works... No problem on the tips, but I got the idea from chickenfriends detailed posting of the mk2 motor...
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] to vw for making legos for grown ups..
      "Its cool to spool, but I'd rather be blown.." - JUS_GT_EYEZ

My FLickr <-- DUKEDLF
      Digital.Life.Form

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      09-27-2007 04:06 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by JUS_GT_EYEZ &raquo;

Fixed.. My fingers type faster than my mind works... No problem on the tips, but I got the idea from chickenfriends detailed posting of the mk2 motor...
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] to vw for making legos for grown ups..

LEGOS! Thats exactly what VW's are... Big Lego kits!

Vehicles
      The VR farm.....
      09-27-2007 04:20 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by WCHLVR &raquo;
      LEGOS! Thats exactly what VW's are... Big Lego kits!

This is exactly what I tell people when they ask why I like VW's so much. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I sell Rotiforms and Airlift products......
      I wrench on VW's and Audi's.......
      AudiHendersonParts discount OEM Audi and VW parts

Vehicles
      I quit counting.
      09-27-2007 05:25 PM #9
      Very nice!
      I can't wait to do this to my 79!
      Built > Bought
      58 Beetle | 79 Rabbit 20vT | 84 GTI TDI |84 GTI 16vT |12 Golf TDI ----89 325i | 03 2500hd 24VCummins/NV4500/NP205 | 02 Burb 4x4 2500

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      10-04-2007 04:43 PM #10
      Well we have hit the rainy season here in Oregon about a week ago and I wanted to give a little testimony to the fact the wipers work AWESOME! Almost too good if it is raining lightly (time to get programmable intermittent relay!) Added Bonus- No more wiper chatter!
      Cheers!

Vehicles
      13 Plug In Prius, 15 Venza
      11-25-2007 03:20 PM #11
      just did this to my nephews coupe! this works awesome!!
      many many thanks <---6 pack for you! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      ................................................www.CCCIS.com

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      11-25-2007 03:35 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by urogolf &raquo;
      just did this to my nephews coupe! this works awesome!!
      many many thanks <---6 pack for you! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

[cracks one open] Cheers!

Vehicles
      mk1 coupe mk2 coupe
      11-25-2007 03:50 PM #13
      interesting...need to give this one a try [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      VW Fiends German Speed Society Banchwerks PVW 4/08 & 7/12
      Nothing leaves Stock Creep Customz Brokestatus Get Low Unix Performance Gengstout

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit, 97 GTI VR6 (wrecked), 03' Dodge 3500, 10' Jetta SW TDI
      11-25-2007 04:00 PM #14
      Is there any difference in weight between the mk3 motor and the mk1 motor assembly?

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      11-25-2007 04:07 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by BluGTIVR &raquo;
      Is there any difference in weight between the mk3 motor and the mk1 motor assembly?

I doubt it. They are exactly the same size. The MK3 might weigh a few ounces more due to the increased windings.

Vehicles
      11-25-2007 04:16 PM #16
      in my hands they felt the same

18. 11-25-2007 08:10 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by urogolf &raquo;
      in my hands they felt the same

If I had a dollar for....

Vehicles
      91 1Z TDI, 83 1.6 TD pickup, 92 ATC 1.8t Golf
      12-06-2007 12:25 PM #18
      Would the passat wiper motor swap on a MK1 the same way?

20. 12-06-2007 12:41 PM #19
      I was just pondering this question yesterday! Thanks for the info. Are your wipers a lot faster now?

12-06-2007 02:28 PM #20
      Great recipe, try it with a deuce of Yuengling.

Vehicles
      12-06-2007 07:58 PM #21
      huuuge difference in speed

Vehicles
      1975 Rabbit, 1978 Rabbit, 2001 Audi avant, 2010 Golf TDi, 2001 F250 powerstroke
      12-06-2007 09:10 PM #22
      i like this. add that to the list of little projects I need to do to my cars.
      -PatDoody

24. 02-20-2008 08:59 AM #23
      Awesome swap.... For those doing this, don't lose the nut on the threaded part of the MK3 motor, you'll need it to attach the MK3 motor to the MK1 wiper rack. If you lose it, it's a standard M8 1.25 bolt.

Modified by projectpurity at 6:01 AM 2-20-2008

25. 06-11-2008 02:47 PM #24
      I have a question, I was just starting this swap but the mk3 motor i have looks different. There are only 2 wires on mine, a red and green wtf

Vehicles
      1975 Volvo 244GL
      06-11-2008 02:53 PM #25
      How does a rotary work? This one's easy: the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast