VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

*Project: IN-FLT's custom VRT*

28K views 163 replies 53 participants last post by  IN-FLT 
#1 ·
Well after thinking I was going to get to this earlier in the year.. work/life got real busy
now that things are cooling down a little and I have some more time I have decided to finally tackle this project with the help of the guys over at Apex Tuning and C2 Motorsports

The goal: ~325-350whp daily ( yes nothing grand or great.. but for what I am looking for, more than plenty. )
First off.. the car:

I have sold the Milanos and am currently running B6 Rs4's on there..no time for pics

Second .. the list

Major Components:
** T3/T04e .57 trim .82 A/R
** Kinetic Exhaust Manifold
** ARP Main Studs
** ARP Head studs
** ARP Rodbolts
** Walbro Inline Fuel Pump
** Custom 3.0" Downpipe
** Forge007 DV
** C2 8.5:1 Headspacer Gasket
** C2 Motorsports Software
** C2 95mm MAF housing
** C2 motorsports SRI
** 42# Injectors
** Spark Plugs - NGK BKR7E
** Sachs Power Clutch
** 38mm Tial Wastegate ( 9psi spring )
** VF Engineering Motor mounts
** JRC Intercooler
** Custom 2.5" I/C piping
** Custom 3" exhaust
** Small Battery
Will be refreshing the engine with :
** New timing chain & guides
** TT Sport Valve Springs
** Titanium retainers
** 8V Hydraulic Lifters
** WaterPump
** Thermostat Housing
** Thermostat
** Thermostat Cover
** Gruvenparts Crack Pipe
** Auxilliary Water Pump
** Rear Main Seal
Gauges & Electronics:
** Greddy Profec B-Spec II
** Autometer Nexus Controller
** Autometer Nexus Boost
** Autometer Nexus A/F (wideband)
and finally the beginning...

Got the engine pulled, cleaned block, tranny and engine bay... just so u know I am a little ocd.. so I was in the engine bay with a toothbrush

Everything looked really good when we pulled the head off http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Managed to get the MAF wiring extended by about 6 feet so i can hook it up on the passengers side ... not fun

You can see here that I ran the wires through the raintray and through the rubber grommet at the top and along where the washer fluid line ran. You can also see where i went nuts with the toothbrush

I opted to purchase a new MAF connector as the old one was brittle.. If I have enough room I may cut the connections off on the end so I only have one splice vs 2.
The manifold and exhaust housing are off getting a 1600 deg. coating to help keep the engine bay temps down.
Well that is all for now.. I will update as more gets done

Modified by IN-FLT at 7:51 PM 12-16-2007

See less See more
#153 ·
Re: (pubahs)

Q .. im still pushin about 14+psi daily with it. Plan to do some runs this weekend and see how she performs with the larger gap.
Quote, originally posted by pubahs »
Was the 1/6 terminal, one that you replaced or the same one that you said you noticed a weak signal from?
Was the initial weak signal actually the terminal in the early stages of grounding itself?

It's the same one that was said to be showing a weak signal. It was bench tested ... it wasn't actually the terminal that hit the bracket.. but the slide on 'ford style' clamp .. kinda boxy looking and thus thicker which caused the issue.
in hindsight... its probably better to leave the terminals longer so you dont have the bulk of the connector in the space of the bracket

#156 ·
Re: (IN-FLT)

well i haven't updated this one in a little while, so i figured it was due.
I have been toying with selling the car, kinda been looking at older dubs and trying to think of some unique things to do.... but until that time comes I am going to keep truckin on 'the white ghost'

She has been running 15psi daily now and doing just fine with the summer heat. I replaced some hoses with some black samco sport hoses. This resulted in a really clean solution for bypassing the 2nd radiator. Also removed the resistor from the ignition setup.
I have also been looking at redoing the intake routing as it is really close to one of the plugs and makes it a chore to change and test gap sizes. I will probably rework it when i go with a larger turbo
thinking 35r or sc61.
Meth injection will probably be next on the list, maybe before H20. I'lll post up some pics of the new hose setup.

#157 ·
Re: (IN-FLT)

UPDATE:
so weekend before last I made it out to 2 different dynos...
on the Mustang dyno she put down 318whp / 334 lb-ft. tq @15psi - VIDEO
on the DynoJet she put down 352whp / 361 lb-ft. tq @15psi
this last weekend i pulled another all nighter with some Mountain Dew, sandpaper and polish( couldn't find vault
)
this was the result...
converted over to a mkIII valve cover and rerouted the pvc down to an exhaust vacuum bung from vibrant performance

installed

next on my list is to rework the bracket for the coilpacks ( if any metal gets exposed on it, it is VERY easy to ground a pack out ) and rework my intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.