Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabrio project for the wifey... build thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      18 Atlas SEL:::13 GTI:::93 Cabriolet:::2009 Silverado
      01-08-2008 03:27 PM #1
      Picked this up in Feb for $650 for a project car for the wife. Finally brought it home yesterday to gut the disgusting fn carpet and interior and get the clutch swapped out.

I managed to get almost all of the interior out minus the door panels and dash (which will probably stay in anyway) and the trans yesterday after a really late start.

So far the car seems to be rust free minus the one big blister on the drivers rear quarter. I was pretty nervous about the rear floor and spare tire well as the top was less than water tight. However, I have yet to see any rust inside, phew.

Here are a few higlights.

Apparently cleaning EVER wasnt one of hte previous owners strong points.

After pulling the carpets and vacuuming up what wasnt stuck to the floor from all the fn pine sap. Im guessing there is still $1.53 in change stuck down there.

The exceptionally maintained motor and wheels (yes that is like 5 years of rusty brake dust on an aluminum wheel).

Siqq brakes

And the super clean trans, complete with what looks like bubble gum sealing the fn speedo cable

And my sweatshirt pwnage

Im hoping to clean up the trans and get the clutch swapped tonight.

More to come.

Dan

Didnt get much done last week as my wife was away and I was on monster watch for three days. I did manage to get the trans degreased and "desanded". I swear someone smeared it in grease and rolled it in a sandbox. Its not perfect, but I can work on and touch it without getting filthy.

Then tonight I got the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate off. The damn clutch like "poured" out. All that on the floor is JUST from the clutch. Anyway, the clutch is pretty toasty it seems. I need to see about resurfacing the flywheel and/or just getting a lightened one.

I also managed to get the new rear main seal in, and the new pressure plate mounted and torqued. I still need to do the throwout bearing etc in the trans but I ran out of time.

I need to order the parts to rebuild the shift linkage. I figure now is the time while I can actualy get to it all. And for $18 it cant hurt.
      I almost have the clutch back in. I was going to finish the other nite but my help didnt show so I pulled more of the interior apart instead. Then tonight I snapped some pics and cleaned the one center console piece quick.
      Yes, this car is fn nasty inside. Hopefuly sooon to be "was nasty".

Few pics

Clean and shiney.

A bit more cleaning to go, but at least the dash (minus the fn glove box door) is in nice shape. Sounds like a buddy of mine may have a new glove box for me. I also pulled off the sunvisors and noticed the dome light is broken. Im sure Ill find alot more.

No new pics at the moment. I soaked most of the vents and **** in hot soapy water a few times, and managed to scrape like 1/16" of nicotene out of the ashtray bits (fn gross). Doing so ruined the foam seals on all the vent doors so I orded up a sheet of something from McMaster to make up some new ones.
      I also ordered a "few" new parts for it:

Top and all the cables for it (old top was really faded and cracked in a few spots)
      Jetta rear door handles (just so I can have no key holes, plus stockers hardly worked)
      Front suspension and brake parts:
      Bilstein HD strut inserts
      Autotech lowering springs
      strut mounts, bump stops, dust boots
      ball joints
      wheel bearings
      control arm bushings
      swaybar bushings
      motor mounts (TT front mount and I may fill the others)
      rotors
      Mintex Red box pads
      SS braided brake lines
      Everything should be here by next monday, or sooner.
      So this gets the project up to today. From now on I will update this thread as I go.
      Comments, thoughts, etc welcome.

Dan
      Last edited by juicedz4; 04-29-2016 at 10:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      84 ABA GTI
      01-08-2008 03:47 PM #2
      Man, that thing was vicious inside. I thought my GTI was bad after sitting in a field for 9 years.
      The Shop Autowerx: Repairs/Custom Work and Fabrication/Europlates
      7 Council Drive
      Woodsboro, MD 21798
      301-685-6555
      www.theshopautowerx.com

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01-08-2008 03:54 PM #3
      Yep. And to think some lady was driving around in it like that just a month or two before I picked it up. I think the inspection was still good when I got it.
      Dan

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLX, 99 Cabrio, 03 Sierra SLE, 97 tracker, 84 ATC200X, 78 CB750F, 66 S90
      01-08-2008 05:13 PM #4
      to think that if i hadnt saved my 98 thats what it would have looked like.
      steve

7. 01-08-2008 05:41 PM #5
      surrrrrrrrrrrre. For the wife. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
      *searches for the 'jerkoff' smiley*
      "Honey, I'm doing this for you. Not because I need a project to **** around with"

looks good

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01-08-2008 06:02 PM #6
      Seriously it is for her. I have enough of my own projects to keep me super busy for just about ever.
      I figure the gas mileage in this will be a teeny bit better than her suburban. Plus she misses her old jettas.
      Dan

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      01-08-2008 06:42 PM #7
      Amazing photos of this project! Can't wait to see more.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01-09-2008 01:40 AM #8
      Lot of progress tonight.
      I got the clutch and trans in, installed the new clutch cable and the speedo cable.
      Then I pulled the entire front suspension and brakes off. EVERYTHING was original: ball joints still rivited on, rotors still had the retaining screws. Of course its all fn junk too. So I need to add tie rods to my ever growing list of **** to buy. Also the cv boots are really dry rotted so I may toss some new ones on now while its all apart.
      In all this I only broke one bolt, one of the swaybar mount studs at the control arm.
      Dan

Vehicles
      1984 GTI
      01-09-2008 06:43 AM #9
      Lookin' good! Glad to see someone making some progress on a DIY level. If you are looking to replace the glove box with one that doesn't have high heel scratches in it send me an IM as I think I still have a black glove box lid.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01-09-2008 09:17 AM #10
      Thanks, but a local buddy of mine has a good one set aside for me.
      I do need to start looking for some fender trim strips.... I know good luck.
      Dan

13. Member
      Vehicles
      01-10-2008 12:18 AM #11
      More progress tonight.
      I pulled the springs, and the stock strut inserts out of the housings and got almost everythign apart. I just need to press out the wheel bearings and the one bushing in the control arms. I also figured while it was all apart that Id stich up the control arm seams quick (mainly since I havent played with the sand blaster or welder in a while). WIth any luck Ill get the rest of it apart tomorrow and get everything to powdercoat on friday.
      Also some of the new goodies showed up today.
      Old junk

"clean" brake fluid

Few new parts

Dan
      Last edited by juicedz4; 05-02-2016 at 08:32 PM.

01-10-2008 01:22 PM #12
      Dan, Hey, GREAT work so far man......reminds me of a cabby I had about 10 years ago....It belonged to a flight attendant who I swear not only never cleaned the car, inside/outside/nevermind the enginebay or trunk, but I swear she did all her "personal grooming" & beauty rituals in the car.....I found enough makeup, lipsticks & goo (for lack of a better term) as well as about 4lbs of all kinds, shapes & colors of human hairs...littered throught the car, YUCK. Hopefully your wife will appreciate the cabby more than the old owner....... Pat

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2008 01:19 PM #13
      I picked up a few new (used) things from a local buddy of mine.
      small spline column with switches and a nice 4button wheel
      one front fender trim strip (im still short the pass side fender one)
      swaybar mount to replace the one I broke
      a non scratched glove box lid
      manual axles in pieces
      Looks like all of the other parts I ordered, minus the springs are due on monday. Springs are due next thursday.
      With any luck im going to drop all the suspension parts off for powdercoat monday and should have them back late next week /crosses fingers.
      Dan

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01-13-2008 10:50 PM #14
      Little more progress today. I got the wheel bearings and the control arm bushings pressed out. Everything is now torn down and ready to go to powder coat tomorrow am.
      I also got the calipers off and attempted to get the soft brakes lines off the car. They wouldnt budge so I thought id let them soak for a day or two. The calipers are pretty beat, so I figure ill just replace them with some rebuilt units.
      Dan

Vehicles
      B8 S4, C5 A6, 82 Rabbit Pickup 16v
      01-13-2008 11:10 PM #15
      GREAT thread, keep up the great work - I can tell this is going to be pristine! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

01-14-2008 11:30 AM #16
      Subscribed.
      It looks good so far
      My name is...Shake-Zula. The mic-rula, The old schoolah, Ya wanna trip? I'll bring it to ya. Frylock and I'm on top Rock you like a cop Meatwad you up next with your knock-knock. Meatwad make the money, see. Meatwad get the honeys, G. Drivin in my car, livin' like a star. Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus. Check it. Check, check it. 'Cuz we drive the Cabrios, make the homies say ho! and the girlies wanna scream.

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 '98 GTI 2.0 '03 GLX Passat Wagon, '88 Cabbriolet
      01-14-2008 06:50 PM #17
      looks pro, big ups to Billsteins. Best strut I've ever owned.
      This is exactly the type of project I want to start.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01-15-2008 01:45 AM #18
      Yesterday's progress:
      I got the wheel bearings and the control arm bushings pressed out. Everything is now torn down and ready to go to powder coat tomorrow am.

I also got the calipers off and attempted to get the soft brakes lines off the car. They wouldnt budge so I thought id let them soak for a day or two. The calipers are pretty beat, so I figure ill just replace them with some rebuilt units
      I dropped all the parts off at the powder coater this am. Hopefully Ill have them back fri/sat.

Tonights progress:
      I got the TT front mount installed along with the starter and all of the wiring that I unhooked to get the trans out. So basically the motor is back where it should be. I just need to press out and replace the trans mount and reinstall the lower and the motor and trans will be all set.

Next, I thought Id try to get the soft lines off and clean up the wheel wells. I managed to strip the hard line nut on the pass side, even after soakng it and using the right sized flare nut wrenches. So now I need to find a new M10x1mm bubble flare nut (anyone have a p/n ).

FInally, I scraped a ton of dirt and aftermarket, waxy like, undercoating off, cleaned it up with a ton of paint thinner and rags, and put some black spray on bed liner over the factory undercoating. I know its a little hack , but the factory coating seemed pretty intact and removing it isnt on my hot list. At least its clean and one color now.

I got another pile of parts in today as well. Now IM just missing the springs which wil be in on thrusday.

Todays pics:

TT front mount, was a nice tight fit, comared to the sloppy ripped stock one.

New stuff

Orig wheel well

After scraping and scrubbing

All paitned up

Tomorrow or wed's plan is to get the new trans mount in, clean up the other wheel well and paint it, and try to fix the one brake line (if I can get the right nut). If so, I should be able to get the new ss brake lines on and be ready for the supension to go back in sunday or early next week.

Dan
      Last edited by juicedz4; 05-02-2016 at 08:45 PM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      01-16-2008 12:08 AM #19
      Didnt get too much done tonight. I finally finished disassembling and scrubbing and reassembling all the nasty vents.

Original

All apart

Cleaned up and back together

Next update should be a bit more exciting.

Dan
      Last edited by juicedz4; 05-02-2016 at 08:48 PM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      01-22-2008 09:32 AM #20
      Progress has been slow as of late as I am still waiting on the poweder coat stuff to come back. Now they are saying thrusday, oh well.

I did have a chance to get the new foam put on the doors of the vents and get them all back together as well as clean up a few more interior plastic parts. I think all I have left is the various dash switches and the column trim and a few parts around the top near the back seat.

Vent foam

Cleaned up dash pieces

The dirtiest window switches ever, even dirty inside.

and cleaned up

I also painted the edges and hub section of the new rotors, the tops of the new strut mounts and the ball joints. Hopefully to keep things from rusting as long as possible.

I just need to fix the one brake line and clean up the other fender well before thursday and I should be able to get alot of the new suspensin and brakes in by the weekend.

Dan

Modified by juicedz4 at 1:34 PM 1-22-2008
      Last edited by juicedz4; 05-02-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Vehicles
      1998 jetta W.E.
      01-22-2008 10:51 AM #21
      wow, im loving your project for your wife.
      she must really love you too for it lol

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      01-22-2008 12:39 PM #22
      What a crazy amount of dirt and grime.
      For the vents, you should try to take out as much of the ventilation tubing from under the dash and clean them out as well. No sense in blowing crap through your freshly cleaned vents.
      This car looks like it is going places. Very exciting to watch the action!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01-22-2008 12:43 PM #23
      agreed, and its on the list.
      Actually I pulled out a couple of the flexible tubes and they are quite clean inside, surprisingly so. Still I will definitely get in there as good as possible. Lots of compressed air should help
      Dan

Vehicles
      mk2 voomeran gli, w202 brabus, b7 passat
      01-22-2008 02:24 PM #24
      damn! soo much dirt makes me wanna kill people that let 5h!t grow on their cars like that. lookin good on the clean up tho!!

Vehicles
      '89 Cabby ABA/16vT, '89 Cabby, '94 E420 (RIP), '05 C55
      01-22-2008 02:29 PM #25
      You're really leaving no stone unturned. The attention to detail is impressive. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] That's going to be one nice Cabby when you're done.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast