Picked this up in Feb for $650 for a project car for the wife. Finally brought it home yesterday to gut the disgusting fn carpet and interior and get the clutch swapped out.
I managed to get almost all of the interior out minus the door panels and dash (which will probably stay in anyway) and the trans yesterday after a really late start.
So far the car seems to be rust free minus the one big blister on the drivers rear quarter. I was pretty nervous about the rear floor and spare tire well as the top was less than water tight. However, I have yet to see any rust inside, phew.
Here are a few higlights.
Apparently cleaning EVER wasnt one of hte previous owners strong points.
After pulling the carpets and vacuuming up what wasnt stuck to the floor from all the fn pine sap. Im guessing there is still $1.53 in change stuck down there.
The exceptionally maintained motor and wheels (yes that is like 5 years of rusty brake dust on an aluminum wheel).
And the super clean trans, complete with what looks like bubble gum sealing the fn speedo cable
And my sweatshirt pwnage
Im hoping to clean up the trans and get the clutch swapped tonight.
More to come.
Didnt get much done last week as my wife was away and I was on monster watch for three days. I did manage to get the trans degreased and "desanded". I swear someone smeared it in grease and rolled it in a sandbox. Its not perfect, but I can work on and touch it without getting filthy.
Then tonight I got the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate off. The damn clutch like "poured" out. All that on the floor is JUST from the clutch. Anyway, the clutch is pretty toasty it seems. I need to see about resurfacing the flywheel and/or just getting a lightened one.
I also managed to get the new rear main seal in, and the new pressure plate mounted and torqued. I still need to do the throwout bearing etc in the trans but I ran out of time.
I need to order the parts to rebuild the shift linkage. I figure now is the time while I can actualy get to it all. And for $18 it cant hurt.
I almost have the clutch back in. I was going to finish the other nite but my help didnt show so I pulled more of the interior apart instead. Then tonight I snapped some pics and cleaned the one center console piece quick.
Yes, this car is fn nasty inside. Hopefuly sooon to be "was nasty".
Clean and shiney.
A bit more cleaning to go, but at least the dash (minus the fn glove box door) is in nice shape. Sounds like a buddy of mine may have a new glove box for me. I also pulled off the sunvisors and noticed the dome light is broken. Im sure Ill find alot more.
No new pics at the moment. I soaked most of the vents and **** in hot soapy water a few times, and managed to scrape like 1/16" of nicotene out of the ashtray bits (fn gross). Doing so ruined the foam seals on all the vent doors so I orded up a sheet of something from McMaster to make up some new ones.
I also ordered a "few" new parts for it:
Top and all the cables for it (old top was really faded and cracked in a few spots)
Jetta rear door handles (just so I can have no key holes, plus stockers hardly worked)
Front suspension and brake parts:
Bilstein HD strut inserts
Autotech lowering springs
strut mounts, bump stops, dust boots
control arm bushings
motor mounts (TT front mount and I may fill the others)
Mintex Red box pads
SS braided brake lines
Everything should be here by next monday, or sooner.
So this gets the project up to today. From now on I will update this thread as I go.
Comments, thoughts, etc welcome.