O.K. I finished my Bora R fog light install. Here is how I installed mine. I hope this helps anyone else that is going to do this. Please don't rip me if you have a better way or if I miss something.
I received the kit from OEMPLUS (thanks). What I got was the grill and the fog lights only. Because this is a new mod there was no instructions and no wiring harness.
Well here we go.
1. Take off upper grill and the bumper off. The upper grill just snaps off (don't forget to take off the hood pull lever). The bumper has screws at each fender wheel well (5 - 6 screws), at the bottom of the bumper connecting the skid plate (12- 16 screws), 5 screws behind the upper grill and one 10mm nut behind the bottom outer two grills. Disconnect the sensor from behind the drivers side grill as well.
2. On each lower grill opening cut off the out side grill support and on the driver’s side cut off the sensor mount. I believe this sensor is for outside temperature.
3. Make the fog light brackets. I used three pieces of plastic glued together with GAS and Oil seal all. I wanted to be able to adjust the fog lights so I used a swivel bracket from a cheap pair of fog lights I bought from Schucks for $19.99. I glued and screwed the bracket I made to the top of the grill opening. Make sure you screw the bracket at the very edge or else it will go through the front and be visible from the out side.
4. On the passenger side I had to trim the plastic housing down that goes to the oil cooler so the passenger side fog light would fit in. On the driver side I had to bend the horn brackets up so the drivers side fog light would fit in. (SORRY NO PICTURES OF THIS.)
5. Run the wire from the switch. I bought a fog wire harness from Thip at TKO Motorwerks (thanks Thip your always a big help) that would work with my euro switch. (I think 20 squared has them as well). The wire harness consist of a relay with one wire that goes to the switch, one wire that goes to ground, one wire that's fused and goes to the battery and two wires that go to the fog lights. Yes you could make your own wire harness but the one I bought already had the correct pins at the end of the wires for the euro switch and the fog light plugs ( just plug and play). I don't use the rear fog so I used the two settings on my euro switch for my two sets of fog lights up front. On the harness for the euro switch the pin # 8 is for the front fog light and pin # 9 is for the rear fog light. I wanted to be able to pull the switch out to the first setting to turn on the Bora R fog light on and the second pull position for turning the stock fog light on, to do this I just switched the wires going to pin # 8 and pin # 9. I also bought the plug and ground wire that inserts into the fog lights from a VW dealership. The part #’s are, for the plug (1J0 973 722) and the part # for the ground wire is (6X0 971 071 A) or (6X0 971 071 B) depending on what thickness of wire you want to use. I used the thicker wire.
6. This is where I grounded the relay and the two fog lights.
7. Reinstall the bumper and do any adjustments to the fitting as needed. I had to pull my bumper off about 5 times to make adjustments for the fog lights to fit.
8. And here is how they look installed
9. For now I have the outside air temp sender wire tide here.
It has worked fine so far.
I have driven in the night with them and like the light they produce.
Hope you like it and I hope this helps anyone else.
Here are some pictures with the lights off.
Modified by james dean r32 at 8:30 AM 1-28-2008
Modified by james dean r32 at 7:56 PM 2-10-2008