VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Quattro gets it's long overdue restoration.

128K views 265 replies 33 participants last post by  Sepp 
#1 ·
This was supposed to take place 3-4 years ago..but the past 3 years have flown by, with myself having just enough time to spend on the fluctuating fleet of Audi's to keep (some of) them running.
Well now is the time to get the ur Quattro to the way I want it.
The spray paint job was supposed to be on the car no longer than 2 years, but it's been 5.
Yes, if you're just joining this forum, I rattle canned the car years ago.
You can grab a frosty beverage, and read this first...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2940260

So the car might look good on film, but it takes a lot of wax, and photos sometimes give cars more credit than what's due.
Case in point.

But daily driving the car for 5 years, with two trips across the country, and the fact that the paint is from a spray can, it can do quite a bit of wear, and tear.
This along with the fact that I never really got to spend much attention to the interior, the car really deserves an overhaul.
This will be slow going, so check back...I'll be here for a while.

See less See more
#77 ·
Re: Rust.. And rust! (Sepp)

When I looked at your latest batch of pictures for some reason the first ones to become visable were the ones with the top of the inner wells primered. I at first thought that you put new metal in there, looks really good all cleaned up and primered. I was actually thinking it was going to be quite hiddeous up and in there, glad I was wrong.

#78 ·
Re: Rust.. And rust! (Quattro Krant)

Yes, I was very happy with the way things looked.
The fenders were as solid as new, so I knew it wasn't going to be as bad as Franks, but you never know!

#80 ·

Quote, originally posted by Sepp »
I knew it wasn't going to be as bad as Franks, but you never know!

Ones hopes not as bad as mine..

Anyway, I don't know what your next steps planned are.
If it were *me*, I'd take the wire brush on the angle grinder, and remove all the undercoating at the rear end of the long triangle (where it meets the firerwall/A pillar), and all along the vertical seam where you have rust already.
I'll bet that there is a bit more rust hiding under the seam sealer & undercoating. I even had rust along the seam between the firewall/floor, behind the wheels (Where the inside wheel would throw up stuff, when in a turn)
Best to find it now when you have it all apart, than later (says the 'wise' voice of experience!)..

#81 ·
Re: (teach2)

Quote, originally posted by teach2 »
Sure, cheap shot at the Canadian's car!

hahahahaha

This was a 4 season daily driver in Mass. for it's whole life before I rescued it... (17 years)
Explains why the trunk was gone, and the rear wheel wells were like swiss cheese.

#82 ·
Re: Rust.. And rust! (katman)

Quote, originally posted by katman »

Ones hopes not as bad as mine..

Anyway, I don't know what your next steps planned are.
If it were *me*, I'd take the wire brush on the angle grinder, and remove all the undercoating at the rear end of the long triangle (where it meets the firerwall/A pillar), and all along the vertical seam where you have rust already.
I'll bet that there is a bit more rust hiding under the seam sealer & undercoating. I even had rust along the seam between the firewall/floor, behind the wheels (Where the inside wheel would throw up stuff, when in a turn)
Best to find it now when you have it all apart, than later (says the 'wise' voice of experience!)..

Yes, I am planning that.
Thanks though for the tip!

#83 ·

The Audi Gods have looked down on me from above, and apparently they liked what they has seen.
I am in fact moving, and have been blessed so in receiving a proper garage.
This is awesome.
So I covered up the primered rails with POR15, wonderful stuff.
And I re-attached the whole front end for the cars voyage (not far, only 20 miles!)
I won't bother with the rear end....
Took it for another nice drive...it was very nice

I won't have any updates for a bit, because I'm on holiday all next week, and will be moving shortly thereafter.
pics just because I love pics...

#84 ·

A nice parcel came from a friend across the pond today, so a quick test fit was in order!

The DOT spec stuff getting ready to get yanked.

Muuuuch better.

This goes into the spares bin.

#85 ·

Congrats on the garage Sepp http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif No person is more deserving than you and your Ur-Q of a proper garage. That rear piece that you got from Europe, was that also available in a smoked version? I only ask as I have seen a few Ur-Q's with the smoked taillights and rear piece but I don't know if the piece was a smoked version of the original style or the Euro one?

#86 ·

A black (smoked) center piece and tail lamps was standard from 1985 up on all Coupe and Urquattro models. It was first invented and introduced by Treser in 1982, and soon adopted by Audi, initially on the Sport quattro, and soon across the range of Type 85 models.
Pic from my own car

#88 ·

Well, since some countries (Switzerland, Japan) have plates in a similar format to the US ones, the black tail panel is available in the same style as the US red one as well, for the taller and more narrow plate. Switzerland of course has the rear fog light on the left, as with my car, while Japan has it on the right side, as with Sepp's new red piece of jewelry.
Switzerland-spec Urq.

#89 ·
Re: Rust.. And rust! (PerL)

The true '85's had the smoked tails etc, but I prefer the looks of the red bits...off an '84.
I'm considering possibly adding a bit of nightshade to the rear....it can always be removed!
The pieces are from a UK car, so I will swap out the rear fog lamp to the left side.
I'm psyched about the garage.
I went to look at it today!
The Quattro should be in there by this weekend!!!

#91 ·

So obviously, I'm busy as a mofo moving around.
The car sits in a garage again!
My buddy at work is a great welder, so I just have to prep the car, make some patches, and he'll gladly pop them in place.
That's the next step before I can continue on with the car.

#93 ·

So obviously, I'm busy as a mofo moving around.
The car sits in a garage again!
My buddy at work is a great welder, so I just have to prep the car, make some patches, and he'll gladly pop them in place.
That's the next step before I can continue on with the car.
Wood plank floor, I don't know why but I just find that cool. And it will be nice when you drop all kinds of little nuts/bolts in the cracks and you can't find them

#95 ·
Re: Rust.. And rust! (Gotsol)

Yes, it's great to have a roof over the quatty again.
I was spoiled rotten in Washington, and was bummed when I got back to the east coast again.
Hence my "shed" project.

The garage was originally a horse barn built in 1901, and still has the chew marks on some of the the boards as horses often do that.
The hay loft above is a great place to store the panels to keep them out of trouble.

#97 ·

still has the chew marks on some of the the boards as horses often do that.

until your typ 85-build frustrations peaks and you'll be doing the same...

#100 ·
Re: (Sepp)

So work/life has been insane.
But I've managed to squeeze a bit o' time to the Quatty.
I was able to clean up the drivers side, so it can get patched up.

Also on the drivers side, almost all of the red paint is gone, down to the primer.
I was able to scrape past a partial respray/repair job that was performed prior to me owning the car.
With the top coats gone, I should be able to really tear down the primer with a sander.
The rear section has a bit of filler on it, so I'll have to block sand it, and get it all straightened out. (they did a really horrible job!)
This will require quite a bit of time, but I have all winter, since I won't be able to spray the car until next spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.