Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Detailed R32 rear bumper cover installation on to a GTI

Vehicles
      '13 JKU Sahara
      03-25-2008 08:56 PM #1
      Below are installation pictures for the R32 rear bumper cover on to a 2008 4dr GTI. All-in-all, a pretty straight forward installation. With the right tools, you really don't have to take off the wheels, but it helps. The installation would probably take an hour to do, now that we've done it and had to pull the bumper cover off once or twice during the process.
      This is for informational purposes and may not contain all the details necessary to complete (most of the big things are listed) - attempt at your own risk as we are not responsible for anything that may or may not happen during your specific installation experiences.
      Items of note:
      - one person could do the installation but two make it go much quicker and less frustrating
      - installation time - about and hour to hour and a half. Now that we've done this, the hardest part was separating the lower stock GTI piece from the bumper top.
      - Recommend removing the entire bumper cover (top & bottom together)
      - be sure to install the new R32 foam properly. The foam does not rest on top, it goes underneath. The part number in the license plate area should not be upside down.
      - If your hatch does not securely shut, check to make sure the foam is on properly.
      - If your red reflectors do not sit securely, check to make sure the foam is on properly.
      - Torx 25 and 20 - screwdriver version as well as 1/4" socket are handy.
      - The cover does fit with the stock GTI exhaust still on. You can install the cover at home and head to a muffler shop to have the exhaust mods done later.
      Rear Bumper parts:
      Foam Absorber 1K6-807-251-A
      Lower Spoiler 1K6-807-433-E-GRU (primered)
      Tail pipe surround 1K6-807-568-9B9
      Tow Hook Cover 1K6-807-441-E-9B9
      LH Support 1K6-807-739
      RH Support 1K6-807-740
      LH Reflector 1K6-945-105-A
      RH Reflector 1K6-945-106-A

Step 1: Gather all of the parts - make sure you have everything needed

Step 2: Jack up the rear and use a jack stand for safety

Step 3: Remove the taillights

Step 4: Remove the screws from the fender well, across the bottom, & top:

Remove the wiring harness for the license plate light:

Step 5: pull off cover - give a pull, you may hear a popping sound, that's ok

Step 6: Separate the GTI cover top from the bottom:

Set the cover, face down. Start on one end to pop the clips out and then "roll" across the cover pulling out the plastic clips. Once it starts to go, you will get the hang of it and it will come apart.

Step 7: Attach the R32 bottom
      Much like the removal, start at one end and "roll" around to the other side pushing the clips together. be sure to seat them completely, if you do not, you may see a slight line (we did) on the painted side of the cover indicating that the clips are not fully seated.

Pull off a couple of the screw clips from your GTI cover and slide on to the R32 cover:

Step 8: Remove the GTI's foam

Expect it to break:

Clean the surface, prep for the adhesive tape:

Step 9: install the R32 foam - it wraps around the bottom, not top

Step 10: slide on the R32 bumper cover:
      There are "channels" on the both sides that the top cover support plastic will slide into.

The two support pieces that are down on the bottom (near the muffler) need to be lifted around the metal allowing the bumper cover to fully slide on.

Replace all of the Torx screws you removed:

Step 11: install reflectors and button everything back up

Stock Exhaust:
      The GTI exhaust clears the plastic by a 1/4" or so, enough for you to make it to a muffler shop

Once the exhaust has been modified, snap on the center piece and enjoy.

Last edited by 83Caddy16v; 08-13-2012 at 10:17 PM.
      [email protected]
      2012 XC90 R-Design | Ice White | 20" Cratus wheels | RSE
      2015.5 V60 R-Design | Rebel Blue | Platinum | BLIS | Climate | KW V3s | KPAX exhaust
      Previous: '10 Touraeg TDI : '07 GTI : '98 Jetta TDI : '83 Caddy 16v : '84 GTI 16v : '91 GLI : '01 S4 Avant : '00 S4

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 03-25-2008 09:07 PM #2
      sweet. I may or may not be doing this in about a week. Thanx alot. Any possibility on a complete tool list? I saw the torx bits and rachet, just wondering if anything else was needed? Also, you obviously got this from bud, so did it come with everything you needed? I'm assuming it did since he seems to be very thorough. Thanx again
      jake

Vehicles
      '13 JKU Sahara
      03-25-2008 09:16 PM #3
      If you've got two people - double the hand tools to speed things along.
      Hand tools:
      Torx 20 & 25 ( socket and/or screw driver style )
      Flat head screw driver
      10mm socket for the tail lights (careful not to drop the nuts)
      gloves to limit cuts (they always seem to happen no matter what)
      flashlight
      Garage stuff:
      jack stands
      wheel chocks (place at the front wheels) - you never know if it will roll slightly forward
      floor jack
      torque wrench
      17mm socket for lugs
      VW wheel lock socket - if you still have the 5th lug as the wheel lock on each wheel
      the "hook" tool to remove the black lug caps.
      Having a wireless laptop with Vortex at your finger tips can be helpful.
      ETKA parts diagrams or a Bentley manual aren't necessary but may be helpful
      I think that's about it.
      We didn't have any extra parts, so that was a good sign.
      [email protected]
      2015.5 V60 R-Design | Rebel Blue | Platinum | BLIS | Climate | KW V3s | KPAX exhaust
      Previous: '10 Touraeg TDI : '07 GTI : '98 Jetta TDI : '83 Caddy 16v : '84 GTI 16v : '91 GLI : '01 S4 Avant : '00 S4

Vehicles
      '11 S4
      03-25-2008 09:22 PM #4
      You've been FAQ'd.

6. 03-25-2008 09:31 PM #5
      Thanks for posting this, I get PM's every day asking how difficult it is.. now I've got something to link people to!

7. 03-25-2008 09:32 PM #6
      i didnt think you needed to remove the whole bumper to switch the skirts. i managed to change mine leaving the main bumper on

Vehicles
      '87 Euro 535i, '98 M3/4/5
      03-25-2008 10:01 PM #7
      nice.. brings back memories. your car almost looks like mine!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
      Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling - let’s say, more than 170 brake horsepower - is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling penguins, while making love to a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the queen. It’s all going to go wrong.
      motoring con brio

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-25-2008 10:05 PM #8
      nice [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

10. 03-25-2008 11:38 PM #9
      dayam, that car is turning out nice!!! thanks for your selflessness, garage, and time, chris! this mod will have much more of an impact on your CW GTI. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      we'll post more diy on the votex front lip and R32 side skirt install soon. c, you did that part so fast you might have to post it yourself -- i can talk about scratching sticky stuff off the sides... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      03-26-2008 02:55 AM #10
      really good diy
      Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      FS: 16v performance/oem parts and tools
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)

12. 03-26-2008 08:38 PM #11
      Great DIY!
      Can anyone confirm if you need to run the rear foam specific to the R32? I know the part numbers are different for the GTI / R32, but I haven't had a chance to install mine yet. I know there have been a few others that have... just curious if it was a necessity.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI
      03-27-2008 08:24 PM #12
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] thinking of doing this soon also, what are you doing about the exhaust tips? keeps the stock catback and getting the muffler shop to fabricate something??

14. 03-27-2008 08:26 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by JonnyKuhns »
      Great DIY!
      Can anyone confirm if you need to run the rear foam specific to the R32? I know the part numbers are different for the GTI / R32, but I haven't had a chance to install mine yet. I know there have been a few others that have... just curious if it was a necessity.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I dont know about the US-Spec R32 rear, but with my Euro-Spec rear, there was no way to fit the regular gti foam behind the bumper.

15. 03-30-2008 01:57 PM #14
      I had BmFTechnik in Annapolis, MD fabricate the axleback part of the exhaust -- they did it based on a couple measurements I sent them. I didn't trust the local Midas/Meineke to do it b/c there was always a "head scratch moment" when they saw my car. I went out and bought some very affordable/ghetto exhaust tips from the local AdvanceAutoParts, made by "3A Racing." Total installed cost me $200 -- w/ better fitment out the box than the Eurojet product, imo. Here's the result:

Modified by ktreg at 12:59 PM 3-30-2008

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI
      03-30-2008 02:48 PM #15
      Very nice job and love the results too. Thanks for sharing

Vehicles
      '13 JKU Sahara
      03-30-2008 03:55 PM #16
      Nice job. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
      [email protected]

Vehicles
      2005 Audi S4 avant, GLA 250, GL450
      03-30-2008 08:02 PM #17
      well done [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] when you purchased the r32 rear bumper, did it come with that replacement foam?

Modified by jMkV at 4:04 PM 3-30-2008
      Audi S4 Avant track project. JHM tune, manual swap, JHM LWFW, JHM stage 4 clutch, JHM linkage trio, JHM intake spacers, JHM tensioner, 034 end links (front and rear), 034 Rear sway, 034 transmission mount, Apikol rear diff mount, ECS tuning Engine mounts, Stasis Motorsport Ohlins suspension, Brembo 18z BBK, VW Phaeton brake ducts, Red optima battery, Recaro Speed seats, Militek Catless DPs, Fast Intentions exhaust

19. 03-30-2008 08:19 PM #18
      WOW. That looks awesome and I really like the exhaust tips. They remind me of my old MillTek on my Audi A4. Will you post pics of the exhaust underneath the car. I would like to see how you have done things.

20. 03-30-2008 08:59 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by jMkV »
      well done [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] when you purchased the r32 rear bumper, did it come with that replacement foam?

I purchased the R32 rear bumper from [email protected] for $390 (w/c is a sick price). At least from Bud it came w/ everything below, w/c is everything you need:
      Rear Bumper parts:
      Foam Absorber 1K6-807-251-A
      Lower Spoiler 1K6-807-433-E-GRU (primered)
      Tail pipe surround 1K6-807-568-9B9
      Tow Hook Cover 1K6-807-441-E-9B9
      LH Support 1K6-807-739
      RH Support 1K6-807-740
      LH Reflector 1K6-945-105-A
      RH Reflector 1K6-945-106-A

21. 03-30-2008 09:06 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Oh Mr. Rabbit »
      WOW. That looks awesome and I really like the exhaust tips. They remind me of my old MillTek on my Audi A4. Will you post pics of the exhaust underneath the car. I would like to see how you have done things.

Ha! That's exactly what we said, "looks like a Miltek w/ the rolled edges on the tips..." You know something else that was unexpected was the way the exhaust sounds b/c you have to cut out the stock suitcase muffler that sits behind the rear axle -- that really reminded me of a Miltek! Save maybe 15-20 lbs w/o that muffler, too.
      Stupid, but I didn't take underneath pics when the car was up . The setup was pretty much the same as in the pic below (everything above the pink line).

Finally, let me be sure to give props to the guys who have done this mod long ago. I feel like we're taking credit for doing this conversion but we're just really copying what's been shown here on vortex over the past 10 months or so. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by ktreg at 8:07 PM 3-30-2008

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R 6MT, 2016 Subaru WRX Ltd 6MT, 2008 VW GTI 4Dr DSG, 1994 VW Corrado VR6
      04-01-2008 05:34 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by ktreg »
      Ha! That's exactly what we said, "looks like a Miltek w/ the rolled edges on the tips..." You know something else that was unexpected was the way the exhaust sounds b/c you have to cut out the stock suitcase muffler that sits behind the rear axle -- that really reminded me of a Miltek! Save maybe 15-20 lbs w/o that muffler, too.
      Finally, let me be sure to give props to the guys who have done this mod long ago. I feel like we're taking credit for doing this conversion but we're just really copying what's been shown here on vortex over the past 10 months or so. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Yes but props to you for posting an inexpensive but great looking alternative to purchasing a full blown Turbo or Cat back system. The Eurojet axle back item didn't look too impressive either. This is a great alternative for those not chipping or looking to alter their stock exhaust for performance. BTW, what's the tip size of those 3A Racing? 3A Racing! Ha! Gotta love it.
      Just curious what the sound is like though. As I understand it, you just left the exhaust stock with resonator on. But you did cut out the suitcase muffler and replaced that with straight pipes to the resonator. I've always heard of GTI guys cutting out the resonator and leaving the muffler on but not the other way around. Hence my curiosity how it would sound without the muffler. If someone was wanting the same stock sound, they would have the shop install a (smaller) muffler to replace the suitcase muffler but have twin center tips, correct?
      Props to you again. You've renewed my interests in a rear R32. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by BodegaBay at 1:36 AM 4-1-2008

Vehicles
      '87 Euro 535i, '98 M3/4/5
      04-01-2008 08:10 AM #22
      looks fantastic. $200? wow. as a fellow bmp 4dr with r32 rear, i'd love to see your car sometime [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
      Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling - let’s say, more than 170 brake horsepower - is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling penguins, while making love to a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the queen. It’s all going to go wrong.
      motoring con brio

24. 04-01-2008 05:13 PM #23
      thanks for the compliments. we plan on taking underneath pics and getting a sound clip hopefully in the next few days; will post up. here's what someone else did re: sound containment:

Vehicles
      '13 JKU Sahara
      04-01-2008 10:49 PM #24
      I just went for a spin in Ktreg's GTI - in a nutshell it is still stealth and "wife-safe." Cruising around the neighborhood it is just a hair above stock sounding. 2500 rpm cruising did not produce any sort of drone.
      Get on the throttle and it is noticeable. I recorded a sound clip and hope to get it digitized and will post. DSG shifts have a more noticeable burble. At idle, it does not sound stock, a deeper tone.
      For those who swap to the R32 rear, removing the rear muffler does not appear to make the GTI "less drive-able" for those who have sensitive ears or have not had a performance exhaust system in the past.
      Those who have had various aftermarket systems and enjoy the deeper & louder tone throughout the range, may be disappointed - this is an OEM+ type of sound.

[email protected]

Vehicles
      '13 JKU Sahara
      04-02-2008 01:27 AM #25
      Some picts: A little high-temp paint would have the pipe looking spiffy.
      The smal squares on the bottom of the tips are where the small bolts that are used to tighten the tips to the pipe were located; they were welded shut.

Modified by 83Caddy16v at 12:28 AM 4-2-2008
      [email protected]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast