VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: For those looking to reduce the TT's weight

1. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT225(daily) 01 TT225(project) 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 13 S5
      06-17-2015 04:27 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Maybe because the 2-3 steps limiters don't do anything for a rolling car on a non-flat surface. Don't serious and competitive drag cars also have staging brakes on top of their electronic launch controls?

For example I've done several DC ProSolo (Pros are drag starts with Christmas tree and two cars going at it on identical mirror courses), the surface of that venue is nothing but uphill/downhill with constant elevation changes. Without a handbrake start once staged, you're either rolling into the light for a DQ or rolling backwards (depending on the event course orientation). It's not like drag racing where starts are usually flat, Solo brings other elements into the mix and that's why it the sport of all-around cars and drivers.
      I've been on unlevel drag strips before, and had to do the same. Yes, it's a PITA. You just made it sound like you aren't using the AEM's launch control capabilities in your previous post. I just know you have real rubber, and didn't know if there was more of a reason to not truly launch drag style. Obviously course layout and the distance to the first turn comes into play too!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-17-2015 06:03 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      I've been on unlevel drag strips before, and had to do the same. Yes, it's a PITA. You just made it sound like you aren't using the AEM's launch control capabilities in your previous post. I just know you have real rubber, and didn't know if there was more of a reason to not truly launch drag style. Obviously course layout and the distance to the first turn comes into play too!

You're absolutely right, it is a real PITA when you have to worry about the Christmas tree and reaction time (if slow, reaction really kills you since the clock starts rolling with the green), then to have a rolling car adding to the difficulty of the launch is an extra unwanted layer to the routine.

Below is what I did to the handbrake to help these situations. The trick had served me well and all you need to do is pull it - preload the clutch while sitting on the 2-step - then let it go when needed (the hanbrake self-locking ability is still functional on the last two upper teeth). Call it poorman stage brake:

http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension products, Madmax DV kit, and AEM products.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT225(daily) 01 TT225(project) 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 13 S5
      06-17-2015 08:18 PM #78
      Do you think that would help or hurt driveline shock to the rear on an aggressive drag launch since it's disabling Haldex via the handbrake switch as opposed to having the F/R locked 50/50 via an aftermarket controller? I know next to nothing about AWD launching, but that'll have to change soon!

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      06-17-2015 10:38 PM #79
      I can't remember Max. You running SP or Street Mod? Was just browsing the 2015 SCCA Solo Rules last night, and apparently SP rules require that the vehicle has an operating hand brake ( or foot brake ). So good thing that you kept it. SCCA sure has some strange rules....
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

6. 06-23-2015 12:28 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      Do you think that would help or hurt driveline shock to the rear on an aggressive drag launch since it's disabling Haldex via the handbrake switch as opposed to having the F/R locked 50/50 via an aftermarket controller? I know next to nothing about AWD launching, but that'll have to change soon!
      I don't think it makes a difference. The rear engagement is only happening when the ABS sees front spin, and that's regardless of emergency brake signal. Therefore, that kinda negates the drawbacks that you're thinking about. Rear engagement also happens in a fraction of a full front rotation, so pretty quick where the handbrake technique is not really affecting the 4-wheel performance of the launch. Not sure if what I wrote made sense ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman35 View Post
      I can't remember Max. You running SP or Street Mod? Was just browsing the 2015 SCCA Solo Rules last night, and apparently SP rules require that the vehicle has an operating hand brake ( or foot brake ). So good thing that you kept it. SCCA sure has some strange rules....
      Richard, I have moved to Prepared now (F-prepared specifically since the car is also have XP eligibility). You're definitely right about strange and often ambiguous rules with SCCA Solo - another reason that pushed me to Prepared where there is much more wiggle room for a builder type of guy/car.
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension products, Madmax DV kit, and AEM products.

7. 12-18-2015 03:57 PM #81
      Has anyone else reduced weight of his tt? I am looking to reduce mine's because 1400 kg seems to be still very heavy although i have already remove all a/c accessories and the heavy metal inside the back bumper. My tt is roadster BT.

8. 12-18-2015 05:36 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by silver Greece View Post
      Has anyone else reduced weight of his tt? I am looking to reduce mine's because 1400 kg seems to be still very heavy although i have already remove all a/c accessories and the heavy metal inside the back bumper. My tt is roadster BT.
      Hi, I have a 225 roadster and have done a fair bit of weight reduction. I'll just quote a post I made on another European forum, that way you can see the weight in Kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax199
      I have done a lot of weight reduction in my roadster and got it down to 1,130 kg. This is what I have put on the scale through my journey (obviously I didn't weigh everything removed, but the big items that had my attention were logged in my notes):

Weight reduction:

- wheel liners 15 lbs/ 6.8kg
      - factory seats 40 lbs/18kg -- *reduction over standard part
      - front under tray 5 lbs/ 2.2kg
      - small battery 20 lbs /9.7kg -- *reduction over standard part
      - All emission systems 40 lbs/18.1kg
      - rear counter weight 37 lbs/16.7kg
      - steering wheel/airbags 26 lbs/11.7kg
      - roadster rear panel/bracket 28 lbs /13kg
      - triangle dash supports 5 lbs/ 2.2kg
      - Sound system 12 lbs /5.4kg
      - Spare tire/jack 40 lbs/18.1kg
      - Miscellaneous trunk panels 5 lbs / 2.2kg
      - A/C 25 lbs / 11.3kg
      - AWIC 40 lbs/ 18.1kg
      - Bumper crash bars 17 lbs / 7.7kg
      - Bonnet Stock 12.2 Kg CF 7.2 Kg 11lbs/5kg-- *reduction over standard part
      - Glove box 10 lbs / 4.5kg
      - Lower dash panel 6 lbs /2.7kg
      - Misc plastc interior pieces 20 lbs/ 9.7kg
      - Carpet 25 lbs/ 11.3kg
      - Convertible top 85 lbs/ 38.5kg
      - Rear bulkhead 5 lbs/ 2.2kg
      - Door window assembly 75 lbs / 34.1kg
      - Dash 30 lbs/ 13.6kg
      - HVAC 20 lbs/ 9.7kg
      - Sun visors 3 lbs/ 1.3kg
      - Boot spoiler 13 lbs/ 5.8kg
      - Evap pump 5 lbs / 2.2kg
      - Sound deadening 10 lbs/ 4.5kg
      - Under belly panels 8 lbs/ 3.6kg
      - Grill 3 lbs / 1.3kg
      - Short alu exhaust 27 lbs/12.2kg -- *reduction over standard parts
      - Wipers/alarm horn 7 lbs/ 3.1kg
      - Unused wiring 10 lbs/ 4.5kg
      - Dash cross bar 11 lbs /4.9kg
      - IC cross tube 10 lbs/ 4.5kg

My goal is 2,400 lbs/1,088 kg race weight with canvas top off. Things to do:

Aluminium propeller shaft
      Lexan windshield
      Lightweight brakes
      Lightweight 15" wheels/tires

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 R32 w/ HPA FT400 w/ UM tune - '95GTIVR6 - '02 TTQuattro
      12-19-2015 04:44 AM #83
      I wonder if the RB kit for the R32 would fit the TT (massive weight savings over the stock r32 brakes)

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ht=racingbrake

10. 12-19-2015 10:03 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Arizman3 View Post
      I wonder if the RB kit for the R32 would fit the TT (massive weight savings over the stock r32 brakes)

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ht=racingbrake
      You probably could make it work with some tweaking (new carriers and possibly lines). If you're seriously in the business of weight saving, there are even lighter kits available for the TT though. Willwood makes a kit that is super light (caliper and rotor together), but retains similar mechanical leverage as the OEM TT setup.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...l=TT&year=2001

Vehicles
      2016 S3, 2001 TT Roadster 225
      12-27-2015 11:26 AM #85
      You probably could make it work with some tweaking (new carriers and possibly lines). If you're seriously in the business of weight saving, there are even lighter kits available for the TT though. Willwood makes a kit that is super light (caliper and rotor together), but retains similar mechanical leverage as the OEM TT setup.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...l=TT&year=2001
      Good to know Max. Any word on the kit's actual weight savings compared to stock?
      May consider if significantly lighter than Boxster option (which it may be as Boxster brakes use OEM rotors)
      - Luis
      IG: toplessTT
      VW CC Iron Gray Club Member #1

12. 02-14-2020 02:23 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by silver Greece View Post
      Hi, I have a 225 roadster and have done a fair bit of weight reduction. I'll just quote a post I made on another European forum, that way you can see the weight in Kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax199
      I have done a lot of weight reduction in my roadster and got it down to 1,130 kg. This is what I have put on the scale through my journey (obviously I didn't weigh everything removed, but the big items that had my attention were logged in my notes):

Weight reduction:

- wheel liners 15 lbs/ 6.8kg
      - factory seats 40 lbs/18kg -- *reduction over standard part
      - front under tray 5 lbs/ 2.2kg
      - small battery 20 lbs /9.7kg -- *reduction over standard part
      - All emission systems 40 lbs/18.1kg
      - rear counter weight 37 lbs/16.7kg
      - steering wheel/airbags 26 lbs/11.7kg
      - roadster rear panel/bracket 28 lbs /13kg
      - triangle dash supports 5 lbs/ 2.2kg
      - Sound system 12 lbs /5.4kg
      - Spare tire/jack 40 lbs/18.1kg
      - Miscellaneous trunk panels 5 lbs / 2.2kg
      - A/C 25 lbs / 11.3kg
      - AWIC 40 lbs/ 18.1kg
      - Bumper crash bars 17 lbs / 7.7kg
      - Bonnet Stock 12.2 Kg CF 7.2 Kg 11lbs/5kg-- *reduction over standard part
      - Glove box 10 lbs / 4.5kg
      - Lower dash panel 6 lbs /2.7kg
      - Misc plastc interior pieces 20 lbs/ 9.7kg
      - Carpet 25 lbs/ 11.3kg
      - Convertible top 85 lbs/ 38.5kg
      - Rear bulkhead 5 lbs/ 2.2kg
      - Door window assembly 75 lbs / 34.1kg
      - Dash 30 lbs/ 13.6kg
      - HVAC 20 lbs/ 9.7kg
      - Sun visors 3 lbs/ 1.3kg
      - Boot spoiler 13 lbs/ 5.8kg
      - Evap pump 5 lbs / 2.2kg
      - Sound deadening 10 lbs/ 4.5kg
      - Under belly panels 8 lbs/ 3.6kg
      - Grill 3 lbs / 1.3kg
      - Short alu exhaust 27 lbs/12.2kg -- *reduction over standard parts
      - Wipers/alarm horn 7 lbs/ 3.1kg
      - Unused wiring 10 lbs/ 4.5kg
      - Dash cross bar 11 lbs /4.9kg
      - IC cross tube 10 lbs/ 4.5kg

My goal is 2,400 lbs/1,088 kg race weight with canvas top off. Things to do:

Aluminium propeller shaft
      Lexan windshield
      Lightweight brakes
      Lightweight 15" wheels/tires

So, after almost 5 years Marcus are you still here?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234