VWVortex.com - What did you do to your Quantum today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: What did you do to your Quantum today?

1. Junior Member
      11-06-2018 02:45 PM #626
      Well done Doug!!

I thought of doing something similar, as in the mock-up below. Unfortunately, I only have basic mechanic tools.

If I could find a socket end big enough to cut up and hook onto the ball it would be good to go.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible, 88 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 98 Subaru Legacy Wagon
      11-07-2018 08:33 AM #627
      Quote Originally Posted by 8587qsw View Post
      Well done Doug!!

I thought of doing something similar, as in the mock-up below. Unfortunately, I only have basic mechanic tools.

If I could find a socket end big enough to cut up and hook onto the ball it would be good to go.

Yeah finding a ball socket that big is hard. I forgot how big the ball actually was until I got it off the car.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I could modify your shift rod and the arm that goes onto the selector shaft in the transmission for cheap. I've got all the parts already. The only downside is if something were to happen you're stuck with it.. For me it's not a big deal because I'm putting a 6 speed dog box with a sequential shifter in the car when the engine goes in.

Alternatively, apparently this is a genuine Audi bushing. I've ordered from these guys before.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEAR-LINK...YAAOSwbD5bq8VW
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      An approximate Tim Taylor quote; "If you didn't build it yourself, it's not really yours".
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible
      1988 Quantum Syncro Wagon - The Group B Grocery Getter

4. Junior Member
      11-07-2018 11:08 AM #628
      Hi Doug,

Thank you for your offer and will definitely keep it in mind if I'm unable to resolve on my end.

Spoke to 034 and a rep there asked me yesterday via e-mail if I want another bushing sent to me or a refund. I need to speak to them on the phone before I make a decision.

That link you sent me is definitely the bushing in question. From the looks of it, many Audis and some VWs came with the same bushing, and for sure those cars are experiencing this issue.

Regards,

-LDC

Vehicles
      1986 QSW, 1987 GTi VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 2001 GTi, 2018 Tiguan SEL R-Line 4-Motion, 2018 Passat GT
      12-10-2018 07:36 PM #629
      (yesterday) Put in a new starter, the car had been sitting for a couple months except for a couple times I had my son tow me to start it up so I could drive it around.

It was beat

6. 12-10-2018 08:37 PM #630
      It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago....
      Great story, but long...
      About 2 years ago, my slave cylinder failed and I didn't have the time to drop the trans, so i brought it to the shop. I brought them a full clutch kit, new master, slave, and 034 braided line. A bit later, they called and said the slave cylinder broke off in the trans when they tried to remove it. So I figured it was going to take them a while and i needed to buy a cheap interim car, so I told them to hold off and I'd move it to my house to do in the spring. I bought a 2003 Passat for cheap money and after a bit, went by the shop to check on my car. I found a chunk of the bellhousing of the transmission sitting on the passenger seat.
      The tech had tried to bang out the roll pin while the trans was in the car and had missed and broken the whole top of the bell housing off so the trans was now junk.
      I told them I was planning on a driveline swap anyway and not to worry about it and I'd get the car when I was ready... seeing as how they were the ones who broke it. They have a huge area whete they keep their parts and project cars so it wasn't a problem to leave it thete. Fast forward to a few weeks ago: I pull out of my road to go to the post office. I see my buddy pull in behind me on the road in his scrapping truck with the trailer attached. My QSW was on the freaking trailer! I pulled off and followed him to his house and told him "That's my car!" He laughed and said, "Sure."
      I said, "No, seriously, that's my actual car. "
      The shop decided to clean out their lot after like 20 or 30 years and the owner gave my QSW to him to scrap. Registered and insured the whole time (don't ask me why I kept paying for that...). I went by and started it up every month or two.
      He didn't even call me! I called him and started yelling and he had my buddy tow it to my house. They had swiped my Recaro seat and the alpine head unit. The seat is at the shop and i have to go by and have it out with this guy.
      I know the car was there a long time, but it was their fault it had to be off the road all this time. He knows he would be liable since he never called me and never filed for an abandoned vehicle. Jeez, all he had to do was call me and ask me to move it. He claimed he didn't have my number... even though he does and has called me before. If i hadn't left my house at that exact moment, my car would be a cube of crushed metal!
      And I just recently got my AEB Engine swap, 01E transmission, and JHM rebuild kit for the trans. I was just about ready to do the driveline swap. How freaking crazy is this?!
      You can't make this **** up!
      So now I have to really get moving on the swap and get her back on the road!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      1986 QSW, 1987 GTi VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 2001 GTi, 2018 Tiguan SEL R-Line 4-Motion, 2018 Passat GT
      12-10-2018 08:55 PM #631
      Quote Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post
      It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago....
      Great story, but long...
      About 2 years ago, my slave cylinder failed and I didn't have the time to drop the trans, so i brought it to the shop. I brought them a full clutch kit, new master, slave, and 034 braided line. A bit later, they called and said the slave cylinder broke off in the trans when they tried to remove it. So I figured it was going to take them a while and i needed to buy a cheap interim car, so I told them to hold off and I'd move it to my house to do in the spring. I bought a 2003 Passat for cheap money and after a bit, went by the shop to check on my car. I found a chunk of the bellhousing of the transmission sitting on the passenger seat.
      The tech had tried to bang out the roll pin while the trans was in the car and had missed and broken the whole top of the bell housing off so the trans was now junk.
      I told them I was planning on a driveline swap anyway and not to worry about it and I'd get the car when I was ready... seeing as how they were the ones who broke it. They have a huge area whete they keep their parts and project cars so it wasn't a problem to leave it thete. Fast forward to a few weeks ago: I pull out of my road to go to the post office. I see my buddy pull in behind me on the road in his scrapping truck with the trailer attached. My QSW was on the freaking trailer! I pulled off and followed him to his house and told him "That's my car!" He laughed and said, "Sure."
      I said, "No, seriously, that's my actual car. "
      The shop decided to clean out their lot after like 20 or 30 years and the owner gave my QSW to him to scrap. Registered and insured the whole time (don't ask me why I kept paying for that...). I went by and started it up every month or two.
      He didn't even call me! I called him and started yelling and he had my buddy tow it to my house. They had swiped my Recaro seat and the alpine head unit. The seat is at the shop and i have to go by and have it out with this guy.
      I know the car was there a long time, but it was their fault it had to be off the road all this time. He knows he would be liable since he never called me and never filed for an abandoned vehicle. Jeez, all he had to do was call me and ask me to move it. He claimed he didn't have my number... even though he does and has called me before. If i hadn't left my house at that exact moment, my car would be a cube of crushed metal!
      And I just recently got my AEB Engine swap, 01E transmission, and JHM rebuild kit for the trans. I was just about ready to do the driveline swap. How freaking crazy is this?!
      You can't make this **** up!
      So now I have to really get moving on the swap and get her back on the road!

Nice save! Get on with the swap and please start a build thread to document it

8. Member
      Vehicles
      12-11-2018 12:41 PM #632
      You sir are very lucky!!! Glad you caught it in time. I'd probably go postal if someone did something like that to one of my cars without giving any heads up that they wanted to clear their yard out.
      An approximate Tim Taylor quote; "If you didn't build it yourself, it's not really yours".
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible

9. 12-11-2018 09:08 PM #633
      It just means it was meant to be! But I may end up giving the car to my nephew when it's done. I'll still have my coupe to play with...

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      12-12-2018 02:34 PM #634
      I want another QSW...

Never should have sold mine
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      12-13-2018 07:30 AM #635
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I want another QSW...

Never should have sold mine
      #1 mistake you could have made! If you're up for a challenge I know of one for sale for $350.
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      12-13-2018 08:29 AM #636
      Quote Originally Posted by dougkehl View Post
      #1 mistake you could have made! If you're up for a challenge I know of one for sale for $350.
      I would love to, but Right now I have nowhere to store or work on it.

I still have a Coupe though. I'm not totally senseless.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

13. 12-13-2018 12:24 PM #637
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I would love to, but Right now I have nowhere to store or work on it.

I still have a Coupe though. I'm not totally senseless.
      I wish i hadn't sold my blue coupe.... not that I need 2 of them.... but....and the guy hacked it and dropped a vr6 in it and dropped it on the ground.... not sure how it ended up...

Last edited by QuantumMechanic; 12-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.

14. 02-14-2019 02:20 PM #638
      Quantum windshields make great cat toys.

15. 03-20-2019 07:25 PM #639
      Getting ready for the drivetrain swap!
      It's gonna take some doing, but it's getting done.
      AEB 1.8T with RA4 flywheel and S4 clutch
      6-spd B5 S4 01E transmission.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-21-2019 02:52 PM #640
      Quote Originally Posted by QuantumMechanic View Post
      Getting ready for the drivetrain swap!
      It's gonna take some doing, but it's getting done.
      AEB 1.8T with RA4 flywheel and S4 clutch
      6-spd B5 S4 01E transmission.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHH Yes!!!! This should be good. Should handle nice too with a little less weight hanging over the front wheels.
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible

17. 03-23-2019 04:56 PM #641
      The flu has sidelined me during the first good weather of the season. I was hoping to have the engine and trans out by now. It's always something. All the engine bay stuff is up for grabs, by the way!

18. 04-25-2019 10:20 PM #642
      Got some work done today.
      That second pucture is the reason the swap is happening. The shop guy was banging away at the roll pin or the slave with the trans in the car.... no idea why....I gave them the entire clutch assembly to install including new slave and master cylinders and 034 braided line.

19. 05-06-2019 06:36 PM #643
      Had some free time this afternoon. Got the engine, trans, and subframe completely out. Another fun thing the shop did.... lost my wheel lock key. I didn't notice until I went to pull the front wheels. I should never have used them in the first place. Nobody wants to steal my wheels.
      I'm going to try to fab up some engine mount brackets to retain the factory 5-cylinder mounts. Hopefully that'll work, but we'll see.
      Slow and steady wins the race.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526