VWVortex.com - Tie Rod Rubber Dust Cover Replacement ?........
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tie Rod Rubber Dust Cover Replacement ?........

1. 08-12-2008 05:27 PM #1
      Tie Rod Rubber Dust Cover Replacement
      The outer tie rod has a rubber dust cover ( not the bellow) protecting the joint .
      The dust cover on my 1998 Passat has a tear.
      Can you just replace the dust cover or do you have to replace the entire outer tie rod?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-12-2008 07:20 PM #2
      The "grease cap" isn't available as a separate part...I got a pair of TRE's for my ol Golf who's grease caps didn't last a year..cheap Brazilian rubber...won't buy any TRW parts from Brazil again...I went to junkyard and grabed some off old VW';s and changed 'em out. That's about the only place you'll find em! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      '06 225 TTQ - Papaya/Grey
      08-12-2008 09:17 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by spitpilot »
      The "grease cap" isn't available as a separate part...

Blauparts sells the ball joint boots separately for the control arms but I don't believe the diameter of the boot would fit the base or pin of a TRE.
      http://www.blauparts.com/prodd...4%2DF
      It does interest me enough to pickup a set or two in the event I catch one tearing early enough. I've done the same with both the upper and lower ball joints on my wife's Accord with great success.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      Ford Focus
      02-12-2020 06:17 PM #4
      I had the same problem with my Volkswagen Jetta. The dust cover has broken and I didn't even notice how and when, but that's it. My friend recommended to me buying a Tiptronic because it allows the driver to manually handle the nuances of two options – upshift and downshift. After overriding the automatic mode with the manual option, the driver can make shifting decisions. So, it is quite possible to enhance the braking output with a deliberate downshift or increase the acceleration by using the upshift while also enjoying the traditional auto transmission features. If you are interested in where did I bought mine, I bought it from an online store which sells used details and cars and so on. If you want to know the link click here.
      Last edited by adamwalker2019; 02-12-2020 at 06:22 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      02-13-2020 12:36 AM #5
      I’m confused by your post to a 12 year old thread that’s about tie rod grease boots where you mainly talk about your transmission. Did you perhaps reply to the wrong thread by mistake?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      02-18-2020 10:02 PM #6
      It's a spammer trying to get people to click on the link.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)