VWVortex.com - starter makes grinding/grating noise
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: starter makes grinding/grating noise

1. 12-22-2008 11:50 AM #1
      92 cabriolet, gas,automatic. My starter makes a grinding noise when I start the car. Car starts and runs fine. Took car to a reputable mechanic who said he could change the drive/starter gear. Wouldn't it be best to replace the starter. Is it a difficult job. Can someone give me directions or a "how to" page.I think I can do it myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      12-22-2008 01:34 PM #2
      It could be that your starter is missing the top bolt as it is a pain in the ass to install and to get to.
      Remove the Starter
      Disconnect the BATTERY Failure to do so will have SHOCKING RESULTS.
      Jack the car and support it with jack stands or ramps.

Remove the 2 starter brackets Soak the nuts on the heat shield with PB-Blaster….
      3 10mm nuts one 10mm bolt and a 13mm on the block. Two nut on the starter, one on the upper
      heat shield and one bolt to the left of the heat shield bottom

Remove the wires from the starter there is one 13 mm Nut and a spad connector, take them off before you remove the
      Starter from the car.
      To remove the starter it takes a 13mm . You will need a short 6pt socket
      and a wobble extension. to remove the middle starter bolt as it is holding
      the heat shield…
      You will need 2 or 3 6 inch extensions to remove the upper bolt…. The very top one is hidden…

Modified by briano1234 at 2:55 PM 12-22-2008

Vehicles
      2.0 Microsquirt Corrado, 1.9TD B3 Variant, 77 CB750, 71 Suitcace Cycle
      12-22-2008 02:23 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by William Gallo »
      Wouldn't it be best to replace the transmission with a manual.

Fixed for ya
      -AJ
      All up in your harble, stealing your internets.
      "Life is like a bad margarita with good tequila, I thought as I poured whiskey onto my granola and faced a new day"
      Grow old or die trying.
      My (ex) rocket and My baby...

5. 12-22-2008 02:27 PM #4
      im glad ive never had to do that on an auto car.... swap out that tired auto with an 020

Vehicles
      1989 Cabby and 1996 Cabrio
      12-22-2008 02:49 PM #5
      Is it just me or is that starter on the back of the tranny?? Man those automatics are wack!

Vehicles
      12-22-2008 03:00 PM #6
      Autos ROCK
      They are near and dear to my heart.

Autos are for those that want a true "Girly" car.
      Autos are for those that don't need a shifter to and are secure in their sexuality.
      Autos are getting to be rarer than hens teeth which makes them more "Special".... there for when I get rear ended the price just went up 2k

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '71 Mercier Fixie
      12-22-2008 03:19 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by William Gallo »
      .......a reputable mechanic who said he could change the drive/starter gear. Wouldn't it be best to replace the starter.......

You've got the right idea, forget about just changing the gear, use a reman starter.

Once you get to this point.......

You can clearly see the starter teeth on the flex plate.
      Chalk, paint or pencil mark a reference mark, turn the engine slowly (clockwise) by the crank pulley bolt and closely inspect the gear teeth. Teeth should ALL be even with fairly sharp edges, there should be a flat face on each tooth facing your view through the starter hole.
      Keep turning until your reference mark comes back up.

If you find any teeth that are rounded, it's time for a new flex plate, transaxle removal required.

</edit>

Modified by tolusina at 3:28 PM 12-22-2008
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      12-22-2008 06:14 PM #8
      I cheated Ron, I took the starter removal section out of the torque converter thread.

10. 12-22-2008 09:36 PM #9
      Briano1234: Thanks for the pictures. I priced a starter today and may try it. Since you have a 92, I have another question for you. As you look at the engine, slightly to the left of the stick where you check the transmission fluid, there is a black round cap with a wire over it. When the motor is running, air is coming from the bottom of the cap. It doesn't affect the idle. What is it and its function. Thanks Bill

Vehicles
      12-22-2008 09:41 PM #10
      No that is the cover on the Governor for the transmission, the Breeze that you feel is from the Torque converter which is the large silver round thing showing in my gold transmission.

12. 12-22-2008 10:09 PM #11
      Briano1234: I've had air cooled forever. One more question. Can you read my thread dated 12/20....Broken Brass vacuum connector on throttle body. I fixed it like Thomas told me to. Car started up and runs good except now it idles at normal 1000 but it rises slowly to 1500 and goes back to 1000. I rechecked all fittings and all are tight. It just started doing this. I am buying a bentley book this week. Thank you for your help and patience.

Vehicles
      12-22-2008 10:39 PM #12
      Well since you live in the home town of Dick and Jerry Vandyke.
      Check the o-ring on the brass screw on the back of the throttle body.
      count the turns that you make to take it out, if it is finger loose then it is a bad o-ring, run down to Blacks hardware, (if it is still there) and get a new one. Be sure to wrap the threads with 3 wraps of teflon tape (no future leaks). Then I would replace the CTS sensor avail at Napa.
      The 1000 rpm isn't bad for Idle, as the normal is 950 you might just need to time it.

Vehicles
      12-22-2008 11:35 PM #13
      Yup, get after the o-ring. It may be covered by a plastic anti-tamper cap, it's time to tamper.
      I used a Swiss Army Knife can opener to pry it out and discard.
      ---
      Once that's done, adjust the throttle stop screw, here's how;
      Engine off, loosen the locknut, then back the screw out until it clears the throttle plate arm. You'll also need to make sure the throttle cable is not over-adjusted and holding the throttle open.
      Screw is backed off, now, turn it back in until it just makes contact and then another 1/16th or 1/8th. The ideal setting is when the throttle is as closed as closed can be, while at the same time, the throttle plate doesn't stick in the bore. Lock down the locknut, you should never have to adjust it again, the last guy that adjusted it shouldn't have.
      ---
      Set the timing. There's an involved process in Bentley with a strobe, I've worked out an alternative static method very similar to what we did on air-cooled way back, oh, I guess you still are. That static method has been checked against the strobe method and verified valid. Don't tell VW though. OK?
      A bulb type test light is not so good like they were/are on Bugs, an LED test light is better, a DVOM or a two color LED test light are about equally effective, either is preferred over other indicators.
      Click the link in my sig, scroll down to 28.
      ---
      You're getting to the point you'll need to know whether your car has DigiFant I or DigiFant II.
      Check the wire loom into the injectors, DigiFant II has only two wires, common to all four injectors. DigiFant I has five wires, one common power wire plus an individual signal (ECU switched ground) for each injector.
      There are several other clues, that one is enough, my typing finger is getting tired.

I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."

Vehicles
      12-22-2008 11:36 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by briano1234 &raquo;
      I cheated Ron, I took the starter removal section out of the torque converter thread.

's ok, you done good!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      1972 VW Superbeetle Convertible 1985 Jeep CJ7 1993 VW Cabriolet CE 2002 VW Golf GLS 2003 VW Passat W
      12-23-2008 09:05 PM #15
      I'd rather have a manual, but I like the automatic. It's doing well at 250,000 miles. I think an auto turbo would be nice