VWVortex.com - how to search the vortex
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: how to search the vortex

1. 01-25-2009 10:26 AM #1
      I have seen this so many times with vortex search engine that some one can not find what they are looking for. Basically the vortex's search engine is a POS and you should not bother with it unless you want to do a search for a specific screen name. A screen name search is the only search that seems to work.

Use google to search the vortex. Here is how to use google to search only the vortex for you.
      ex. mk1 1.8t site:https://forums.vwvortex.com
      the word "site:" tells google to only search that site. then you type what ever you are looking for before the word "site:"
      this will work to search on any website using google.
      you can then use quotes if you wish to search a specific phrase that you know was in the body of page somewhere.
      ex. "dash swap" site:https://forums.vwvortex.com
      Will only return results where those two words are together some where on the page.
      You can also do define:dog
      this will return definitions on that word

Modified by aknagy at 10:29 AM 1-25-2009

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      1986 Golf Syncro, 1996 Passat VR6, 2012 Up!
      01-25-2009 10:47 AM #2
      Awesome info. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] I had no idea google could do that.
      [88Jetta350]
      '86 Golf Syncro -'96 Passat VR6 - '12 Up!
      ***VWSyncro.co.uk - The #1 resource for VW Syncro cars & vans***

Vehicles
      '61 standard kombi '64 21-window walk thru '66 pop-top walk thru camper '78 rabbit sunroof.
      01-25-2009 10:55 AM #3
      Tools are very useful only if you know how to use them. And I think this is in the wrong forum. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      "I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." (Dr. Ferdinand Porsche)

5. 01-25-2009 11:39 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by rabbit_foxtrot »
      Tools are very useful only if you know how to use them. And I think this is in the wrong forum. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

i guess you call this a "tool". but i am not really sure there is a forum better suited then this other than actually putting it in every forum as it can benefit you no matter what you search topic is and since it references searching for mk1 subject matter what better forum to put it in than a forum where people are looking for help on there mk1s'.

01-25-2009 11:42 AM #5
      I don't know what the problem is.. maybe the search engine has intermittent issues, but it's always worked great for me. I can't stand the search engines on other sites.. you search for one word, and it brings up EVERY thread that word has ever been used in. Terrible.
      I swear.. the people that complain about the Vortex search are.. retarded

7. 01-25-2009 12:12 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by GTiRacer53 »
      I don't know what the problem is.. maybe the search engine has intermittent issues, but it's always worked great for me. I can't stand the search engines on other sites.. you search for one word, and it brings up EVERY thread that word has ever been used in. Terrible.
      I swear.. the people that complain about the Vortex search are.. retarded

The fact is the vortex search engine is very limited and sometimes you may not be sure as exactly which forum you may want to look at. Doing a google search gets you all the info regardless of what forum some body would have choose to start there thread.
      Resorting to calling names is a sure sign of a weak intelligence

Vehicles
      1977 VW Rabbit, 2001 Golf GL
      01-25-2009 12:16 PM #7
      Thanks for this bit of information! I think its highly usefull and I definatly didn't know it before!

Vehicles
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      01-25-2009 12:18 PM #8
      thank you, good info. (and it DOES belong in this forum btw)
      Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

10. Banned
      01-25-2009 12:30 PM #9
      STICKY THIS BITSCH

11. 01-25-2009 01:08 PM #10
      DITTO x 2x+

Vehicles
      94 Corrado, 79 Rabbit, 80 Caddy, 03 GLI 24V
      01-25-2009 02:08 PM #11
      I recently found a site for searching forums called board reader.
      http://boardreader.com/
      It can search for posts, forums, topics, images and such.
      If you goto it and above the search bar click forums and type in the bar "vwvortex golf i" it will pop up with a list with this forum first. Under each result you will see "Search in forum" click it and then start searching
      oh one more note it seems to auto search for last 3 months so once your results pop up change from 3 months to anytime

13. Banned
      02-07-2009 01:34 PM #12

02-07-2009 01:56 PM #13
      on google you can also click advanced search and type in a site to look in, but it does the same thing as putting the "code" of "site:" in the box

Vehicles
      Too Many.
      02-07-2009 02:09 PM #14
      I've been "power" using google and doing google bash/smashing for years....
      Thanks for posting this tip, everyone needed it!
      The one drawback is this won't work on posts within the last two days at times. Google indexes the entire site and stores a reference copy of it every 24-48 hours, so if you can't find a newer thread with google, use the 'tex's crappy search.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      all kinds of ****
      02-07-2009 06:18 PM #15
      whats google?
      IG @surrealatrocites

17. 02-07-2009 06:19 PM #16
      Very interesting information.
      I have one question:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com (cut and paste from your browser address bar) gets google advanced search to just search Vortex, but how can you refine that to just search a particular forum?

18. 02-07-2009 06:52 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by aknagy »
      I have seen this so many times with vortex search engine that some one can not find what they are looking for. Basically the vortex's search engine is a POS and you should not bother with it unless you want to do a search for a specific screen name. A screen name search is the only search that seems to work.

Use google to search the vortex. Here is how to use google to search only the vortex for you.
      ex. mk1 1.8t site:https://forums.vwvortex.com
      the word "site:" tells google to only search that site. then you type what ever you are looking for before the word "site:"
      this will work to search on any website using google.
      you can then use quotes if you wish to search a specific phrase that you know was in the body of page somewhere.
      ex. "dash swap" site:https://forums.vwvortex.com
      Will only return results where those two words are together some where on the page.
      You can also do define:dog
      this will return definitions on that word

Modified by aknagy at 10:29 AM 1-25-2009

good to know
      24v VR club

Vehicles
      Too Many.
      02-07-2009 06:55 PM #18
      Chicken: as the forums are defined by PHP scripts and not by a actual directory, you cannot search individual pages that way using google.
      Oh and if you want to know what a google is, you ought to google it.
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

20. 02-13-2009 11:49 AM #19
      ttt good info friends