VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

020 Manual Swap FAQ/DIY

187K views 141 replies 24 participants last post by  vwbmx 
#1 ·
auto to manual swap questions

Alright guys....I consolidated this down a lot. If you see something that was accidentally deleted, or have any new info, please let me know and I will add it.
-askibum02

Modified by askibum02 at 2:01 AM 2-4-2009

#130 ·
Trans swap is DONE! Today i wired up the reverse lights. I had a little bit of trouble finding the yellow/white pair, so i just spliced in at the TCM connector. I ran two wires up to the 150 relay for the switch, and tied them into the two yellow backup light wires- works perfectly! ...now for some driving...

#135 ·
Re: (Yo_Delprad)

Quote, originally posted by Yo_Delprad »
im about to pick up my donor car and was wondering about the vss i know there is one on the auto tranny but waht about the manual? how can you tell how fast you are going without it?and the auto cluster will work with the manual tranny like the tachometer and speedo?

Idk about about 2.0l engines and their trannys, but when i did my swap (vr6), i kept my auto cluster and everything works just fine, and both vr auto and manual trannys share the same VSS, not sure about 2.0 though

#137 ·
Re: (TampaLinc)

Quote, originally posted by TampaLinc »
I am at a loss with the starting problem.

Double check all of the fuse box wires... when I was in there messing with all of the clutch things, I accidentally loosened one of the thick red ignition wires, and that caused it to not turn over... Could be the source of your problem...
Quote, originally posted by CanadianCabby »
just wondering if there was an easier way to line them up...

Another idea...

...Use a widowmaker to shift the engine into the proper position... just not too far, though or you'll crack a motor mount

#139 ·
Re: (ayton)

Set the emergency brake. Put the vehicle in neutral. Turn the ignition to the ON position. Then short the large and small post on the starter. Make sure to keep your hair and clothing away from moving parts. If the starter is good, the engine will turn and hopefully start. Then you can work backwards from there.

#140 ·
Re: (mikebsxe)

I checked for codes and I am only getting a couple of Airbag Codes.
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
By connect the two terminals of the starter, do you mean run a wire from the power plug to the ground?
I did find one big red wire under the dash that is not plugged in. It says AMP 1-929603 -1 on one side and has a 1 in a box and 191972751 on the other side. It this suppose to be plugged in someplace?

#141 ·
im still having issues with my speedo and reverse lights. ive read this thread and search multiple threads for this answer and everyone says it just plugs right in...i do not have a three prong connector to connect to the mk3 speed sensor that i put in this trans. the sensor is a three prong, but the connector that i have is a two prong? can anyone please go into detail on this subject? i feel it was never really covered to well.
thank you for any input/advice in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.