Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: So tell me about South Africa

1. Member
      Vehicles
      02-17-2009 05:13 PM #1
      I guess this forum is kind of dead. Been privileged to have visited Sierra Leone twice on mission trips, and have been thinking a lot about South Africa lately. Watched a lot of YouTube vids the other night, and things seem pretty messed up.
      What say you VW lads? Is the situation getting worse or better? If someone were to come stay there for a few months, would they be advised to avoid the cities? What is the VW scene like?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-18-2009 08:54 AM #2
      I think the media scares ppl more about sa .obviously there are some dangerous places but its not that bad if u in the right and safe place .

Vehicles
      '09 Fiat Bravo, '05 Honda S2000
      02-25-2009 05:21 AM #3
      I'm from Cape Town. Crime is not so bad... I've lived here all my life, had my car broken into once... and that is about it.
      If you are street smart, you'll be just fine in Cape Town. Johannesburg and Durban are different stories though.
      Other than that, Cape Town has the normal touristy attractions that seem to keep tourists coming back for more...
      VW scene: the euro scene is meh... and I'm referring to the actual enthusiast scene... like the euro look scene. VW is one of the biggest sellers on the market, so you'll see a VW everywhere. Most guys that mod cars around here go for the flashy/ri-cer look... the bigger/shinier the wheels, the better.
      Last thing: if paying by credit card, never let your credit card leave your sight. Bastards will swipe it through a scanner and make a duplicate of your card.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

02-27-2009 03:44 PM #4
      I visited there back in '05 for a month. I think capetown was my favorite. beach was awesome, table top mountain was awesome, the scenic views were amazing. the nearby town of stellenbosch was real nice. amazing wineries and vineyards
      durban was nice, very different climate. very humid and more tropical. don't go down to the beach at night...unless you have a death wish...seriously...
      jo'burg is ok. when you drive around, you can definitely tell a huge gap between the wealthy and poor. there are some ridiculously huge mansions...and then there's squatter camp type housing and it's all in the same area (more or less). gotta be careful in jo'burg, which has the reputation of being the car jacking capital of SA.
      all in all, i loved SA as a country. great road trip country, very diverse in many ways, awesome people, and amazing food. you gotta have the BBQ, south africans know how to grill. have your self some boer wors and castle beer and you'll be right at home
      VW scene? mentioned earlier...non existent for the most part. but they do have these sweet citi golfs. it's like a MKI cabriolet, but not a convertible. and it has a carburetor and a choke on the throttle (like a lawn mower )! old school, but they're sold brand new. it's like going to mexico and buying the old skool beetles brand new.

Vehicles
      03-02-2009 01:58 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by VpfinnersW »
      I visited there back in '05 for a month. I think capetown was my favorite. beach was awesome, table top mountain was awesome, the scenic views were amazing. the nearby town of stellenbosch was real nice. amazing wineries and vineyards
      durban was nice, very different climate. very humid and more tropical. don't go down to the beach at night...unless you have a death wish...seriously...
      jo'burg is ok. when you drive around, you can definitely tell a huge gap between the wealthy and poor. there are some ridiculously huge mansions...and then there's squatter camp type housing and it's all in the same area (more or less). gotta be careful in jo'burg, which has the reputation of being the car jacking capital of SA.
      all in all, i loved SA as a country. great road trip country, very diverse in many ways, awesome people, and amazing food. you gotta have the BBQ, south africans know how to grill. have your self some boer wors and castle beer and you'll be right at home
      VW scene? mentioned earlier...non existent for the most part. but they do have these sweet citi golfs. it's like a MKI cabriolet, but not a convertible. and it has a carburetor and a choke on the throttle (like a lawn mower )! old school, but they're sold brand new. it's like going to mexico and buying the old skool beetles brand new.

It's just Table Mountain... No "top" in the name.
      And the Citi Golf comes out with fuel injection and catalytic convertors now... I still hate them though... Original MkI's FTW!!
      And about Stellenbosch... If you in the area, try to get yourself to Spier wine estate... and come hungry! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....

Vehicles
      2001 VR6 Cabrio
      03-04-2009 09:53 PM #6
      For all you guys in the know. What parts can you get for the original Golf that are hard to find in America? I have a buddy that's getting ready to relocate to SA for a while. Any ideas of what he could ship me or bring back?

Vehicles
      03-05-2009 04:29 AM #7
      For the original? depends... The Citi Golf is an updated Mk1, so it shares a bit with the original, but there are differences.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2009 07:33 AM #8
      I would love to set up a semi-permanent arrangement with someone to import Citi Golf parts. Window seals, hello, the MK1 guys are always scrounging for those. Updated seats, dashboards, carpet, virtually a guaranteed market here.

Vehicles
      03-05-2009 07:57 AM #9
      It'll have to be for four door Golfs though... There are no two door Citi's.
      *Edit* - the window seals for the doors I mean.... and the side windows...

12. 03-09-2009 08:27 PM #10
      Any one visiting SA really needs to make sure to visit a game park. We usually go to Pilansberg cause it's just a couple hours from Joburg or Pretoria, but defenitely worth spending a couple of nights at one of the Lodges there. Also Sun City is there & that's always worth a visit, especially if you have kids tagging along with you. I don't find Joburg bad at all although we don't drive into the old city centre, usually hang in Mdirand. They have, Kyalami, Swartkops & Wesbank, which is a converted horse race track I think, so you're likely to be able to take in a race of some sort. Joburg, Capetown, Durban are all BIG cities & like any big city you can find trouble pretty easily if you try. I'm on Vancouver Island now, Vancouver is close by & it seems lately there's a shooting on the news everyday. my $00.02

Vehicles
      03-10-2009 03:41 AM #11
      Wesbank Raceway is no more...
      Sold to developers who I think are going to turn it onto a housing complex...

14. 03-10-2009 01:06 PM #12
      That's ****ty.

15. 03-10-2009 01:10 PM #13
      In our local news this morning, there have been 32 shootings with 12 deaths in Vancouver since mid January.!!!!!!! Vancouver is hosting the winter olympics in a years time (2010)

16. 03-10-2009 10:46 PM #14
      Update: Another shooting today in Vancouver. 2 more fatalities. 14 now!

Vehicles
      03-11-2009 01:36 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by autospiel »
      Update: Another shooting today in Vancouver. 2 more fatalities. 14 now!

That's pretty bad...

Vehicles
      VW Golf 5 1.6 Comfortline
      03-25-2009 03:44 PM #16
      South Africa rocks.....

Vehicles
      02 e46 330i 5speed
      03-25-2009 08:22 PM #17
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I have tequila in my car!
      Quote Originally Posted by SenorBrandon View Post
      I didn't get fat doing everything the hard way.

20. 03-31-2009 10:13 AM #18
      I live in Johannesburg and work in one of the worst parts , the crime is blown out of proportion . You need to just keep your eyes open , lock your car and dont leave things in it that could attract attention .
      South Africa has amazing weather , no snow , no tornadoes , no volcanoes and no earth quakes .
      We are having a general election in 3 weeks time and maybe a new party will be in power , who knows .

21. 03-31-2009 02:19 PM #19
      I recently moved from virgina to cape town but the crime down here doesnt seem as bad as what the media makes it sound like.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-31-2009 02:40 PM #20
      Sent U an IM

23. 04-15-2009 08:03 AM #21
      South Africa ROCKS! I've done quite a bit of travelling (currently living in the UK), and after seeing loads different countries and meeting so many different people - South Africa is probably the most naturally beautiful and diverse countries there are. The economy is getting stronger, but as a Dollar/Pound earner you can have a FANTASTIC holiday in South Africa for very little money. Racing is pretty big there (especially the illegal hookups), and if you're an adrenaline junky like me you'll never be bored - sky diving, bungy jumping (the highest bungy bridge in the world!), shark cage diving, safari rides ...... The list goes on!
      Don't let my wifey see this - but SA also has the most BEAUTIFUL women! Honestly - as with any city - be streetsmart and careful where you go - then you'll not be affected by the crime.
      Anybody wanting to know anything/advice etc. let me know I'll be more than happy to help! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      04-30-2009 11:47 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn16v »
      We are having a general election in 3 weeks time and maybe a new party will be in power , who knows .

SO much for that hey....?

Vehicles
      05-01-2009 07:49 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn16v »
      South Africa has amazing weather , no snow , no tornadoes , no volcanoes and no earth quakes .

Didn't it snow in Jo'burg last year?

Vehicles
      05-04-2009 04:51 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by WhitePoloCT »
      Didn't it snow in Jo'burg last year?

Yeah for like ten minutes or so

Vehicles
      02 e46 330i 5speed
      05-11-2009 02:03 PM #25
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      i wanna go vist sierra leone someday
      I have tequila in my car!
      Quote Originally Posted by SenorBrandon View Post
      I didn't get fat doing everything the hard way.