Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: '96 gTDI build notice

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      05-16-2009 07:13 PM #1
      I'll basically copy the same stuff here from TDIClub, but I just bought a '96 GTI that's gonna get the monster AHU that I built for my other TDI bastard Dumpy.
      Here's the picaso album where all of the pics will reside. >>> http://picasaweb.google.com/po...tlink
      '14 Passat TSI
      '86 Cadillac Coupe Deville
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      05-21-2009 10:17 PM #2
      Dumpy is back on the ground. I pushed it out of the garage and rolled the GTI in today. The hood is off and some things have been removed from the engine bay of the GTI. Fluids, hoses, cables, wiring, axles and whatnot will be removed tomorrow. The drivetrain should come out and be placed in the Coupe this weekend.
      Anybody got a lead on a Driver's side fender for and '88 A2 in Atlas or Ascot grey? Mine has a big hole in it where the Intercooler used to hide.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      05-24-2009 12:19 PM #3
      http://picasaweb.google.com/po...tlink
      There are more progress pics here now.
      About 13hrs were spent in the garage yesterday. The complete driveline was pulled from the GTI. I removed the automatic trans, replaced the rear main seal on the ABA, installed the clutch package from Dumpy (8V disc/16V pressure plate). bolted up the trans and starter. Added A2 style motor mounts, placed it in Dumpy and attached the axles. Once that was done I turned my attention back to the GTI. I removed the dashboard, loosened the kneebar, removed some trim and started stripping the Automatic trans wiring and ECU (hides under the driver's rear seat). I also pulled the steering column and removed the shifter lock out bits. I need to pull the lock cylinder and rekey it as the car came with 1 key to unlock and 1 for the ignition. I pulled the gasser pedal cluster as well last night.
      This will be a time consuming swap. I have a good feeling about the outcome though. I loved driving Dumpy, but I think I will enjoy this car even more.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      05-28-2009 10:11 PM #4
      The Coupe: Progress is being made. I put the rad., core support, and lights back in Dumpy and I'm cleaning up/taping the ABA harness for that car.
      The GTI: Since my last update I've swapped the fuel tanks/lines/filters/etc. between the two cars. I removed the stock exhaust from the GTI. I dropped the tunnel heatshields in the GTI and swapped the Auto shifter for an 02A manual part and reinstalled the shields. I pulled the automatic axles. I prepared a different radiator for the GTI as the original one had some green growies on it... I'd bet money that it'd burst as soon as I went for a long trip, so out it went. There's probably other things I've done, but that's all I can remember right now.
      On the ground in front of the car are a pair of reman'd manual axles, new control arms w/ OE bushings, and a complete wiring harness from a '98 Jetta TDI. I think UPS should be picking up my new TT exhaust system for the GTI soon. I've been told to expect it Wed. of next week. I'd love to hear that car in the next few weeks. We'll see though.
      Feel free to browse the albums at the link above as there are new pics in there.
      I'm hoping to turn the key on the Coupe this weekend. If all goes well then It'd time to get the goodies off of that car that I want to keep and hang a For Sale sign in the window. I'll miss that car, but it's for the best. One on-going project at one time is enough for me.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-01-2009 03:02 PM #5
      I didn't get any time this weekend to work on the cars, but I did spend some time this morning. Good news, the Jetta runs now. It's ways from being done, but it does start and run. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week and I'll be able to button that car up. Once that's done the GTI will be in my sites.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-08-2009 02:25 PM #6
      Yesterday and this morning were productive. Ithe front end is back together on the Jetta. I installed the Original '96 Cat and a full TT exhaust w/ a Flowmaster muffler on the Jetta as well. I only have 1 DTC. It's P0442 small Evap system leak. I'll dink around with that this week. Otherwise the ABA swap is coming along nicely. I ordered a throttle cable for it and E brake cables for the GTI as the casing on one is split and I can see it rusting from the inside out.
      By the end of the week I should be able to test drive the Jetta. I moved it around at idle today... Kinda tough to do much else with a Go pedal that sits firmly on the floor. I keep looking at the GTI as I walk around it and the pile of wiring from the donor laying on the floor. Next week should show good progress on the TDI transplant. I really want to start reassembling that car. Just need to find a firewall heat shield. I'm not sure I can get one in place with the motor in, so the motor is still under the bench. I did however hang the TT exhaust system in place on that car yesterday. I was tired of the box being in the way and figured with it hanging in place fitment will go that much quicker.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      2013 PG GLI
      06-08-2009 11:26 PM #7
      Subscribed
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      Clearly you aren't familiar with the "Golden Corrado". It's so clinically clean that in the event that you must urinate it must be done at least one zip code away in fear that it may catch a staph infection.

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-12-2009 12:41 AM #8
      TDI content should be arriving soon-
      The last few days have been reasonably productive. I removed the remote mounted battery and all of its bits. I pulled the Phatbox, the sub, the amp, and spliced the seperates in the front directly to the radio. I removed the custom center console and installed a factory power window console. I also rewired the defrost switch so it's OEM A2 stuff instead of the Audi switches in the center console. The dash is buttoned up except for the driver's side lower panel. I replaced the squeaky blower motor as well.
      I installed carpeted trunk panels from a GLI. It finishes off the trunk a little better and I imagine they will dampen the road noise some more too. While I was installing them I massaged out a dent in the driver's rear quarter panel (A customer backed into it about 3yrs ago). It's not perfect, but it's better than it was. I'm sure it'd look better if I rub it out, but as it stands I don't notice it anymore and since the car has been key'd, it's rusty, and generally looks rough it blends right in. The entire car has been "nut 'n bolt'd" so we're snug all around. There is an issue that developed in the charging circuit the other day. I believe I have that sorted- I'll find out tomorrow after I reinstall the cluster harness.
      I ordered the throttle cable I was told to use a few days ago, but it's too short(788mm A2 Digi II cable). So, I ordered another cable. This one is from a 16V scirocco. This will be plenty long enough at around 1046mm. It should have arrived at the house today. I have some steel and will fab a bracket tomorrow. In therory I could be driving it before work tomorrow. I won't rush it, but it's entirely possible. Fabbing the throttle cable bracket will dictate the drive. I'm excited to get into it, knock the rust off the rotors, set the readiness codes and enjoy a VW again. The truck is boring and doesn't corner that well.
      I'll be interested to see how this setup works. I've never driven an ABA swapped A2. I've never run a flowmaster on an 8V before either. It had a sweet bark on my 16Vs... time will tell.
      The only love the GTI got in the last few days was to install the replacement radiator and the axle shields that attach to the control arms.
      I will be picking up a set of Hella smoked dual rounds on Sat. for the GTI. I suspect they will be a worthwhile upgrade if just for the increased light output. The aesthetic upgrade won't hurt either I'm sure.
      Itch itch ra ra ra vroom vroom...whirrrrrrrr

Modified by 89GLI16V at 11:48 PM 6-11-2009
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-12-2009 05:49 PM #9
      I mounted the go cable and adjusted it, replaced the V.C. gasket (original and leaking badly), and adapted the throttle. Reinstalled the Alt. and cluster wiring. Adjusted the shift linkage and checked the vital fluids.
      The time had finally come. I slipped into the recaro that I've slid into thousands of times before. Depress the clutch and twist the key. I pause waiting for the glow plug light to go off... Oops... It's not a diesel anymore. I twist the key a little further and after a few seconds it's fired up and settled into an 840rpm idle. Hmph, the dash and steering wheel don't vibrate like they used to. I found reverse and backed down the drive and into the street. 1st gear and away we go. the tug from a dead stop isn't quite like the TDI that was in there previously, but it's still pretty stout. I didn't even have a chance to shift out of 1st gear before i buried my foot in it. Not bad... It has surprising torque, strong/long powerband power, decent sound, and before I know it I'm doing 60+ and then the engine started breaking up at part throttle. There are no DTCs, it just stumbles and misses until you let up on the throttle. Some times you can drive through it and it'll run like a scalded monkey. Whatever it is I'm sure it's minor. My first thought is either fuel starvation or ign. component failure. I ran out of time before work, so I'll hopefully sort it out this weekend. I've got a few other small items to address on that car, but they aren't anything that would keep me from working on the GTI. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] I'll take some pics of both cars to update the albums with this weekend.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-14-2009 07:56 PM #10
      Yesterday:
      I picked up the Hella smoked Dual rounds for the GTI. While I was at Paul's I also purchased a good heatshield, the shifter bezel I needed, and a pair of unpainted power mirrors.
      Today:
      I managed to get the 02A mated to the AHU. I cleaned up the motor mount brackets and bolted the whole mess in the engine bay of the GTI.

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-15-2009 05:48 PM #11
      There's a few more bit and bobs on the engine today.

I ordered the Diesel Cat, coolant hoses, belts, and some other stuff from tdiparts today. I'm currently trying to order an H&R Touring Cup Kit and a suspsension refresh kit from parts4vws right now.
      My goal is to make smoke this weekend.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

14. 06-16-2009 03:57 PM #12
      awesome! subscribed.

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-16-2009 11:29 PM #13
      Twitch, scratch scratch...twitch twitch scratch...Vroom vroom
      Didn't work on the car today. The girlfiend was getting jelious. I won't hold that against her. She had better not ask to drive it though...
      DHL says a box of fun stuff arrived at the house today. The suspension parts won't be here 'til mid next week so the maiden voyage may be on tired OEM equipment. I'm gonna do ball joints and tierod ends now too. I figure I've gone this far, why not finish it.
      It's going to get harder to sleep as the week goes on and progress marches forward on this car. I wish I didn't have to mow the lawn tomorrow. That'll be 2hrs shot in the butt.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-17-2009 09:45 PM #14
      Scratch scratch... rah rah ba ba ba baaaa vroom vroom.
      I spent a few hours in the garage today. The lower half of the cooling system is all installed. The new glow plug bridge is in. The A/C compressor, Alt, and P/S pump are installed along with the belts. The turbo oil drain tube is installed as well.
      Tomorrow I want to pack the inner CVs and bolt the axles up. I'd like to have the intake manifold and EGR Cooler installed. I'd also like to spend some time in the interior. It'd be nice to run the wiring for the the fuel sender, the phatbox MP3 Player, some wiring for the amp, and reinstall the knee bar. If there's time I'll continue to plug away at reinstalling the dash and cleaning up that wiring.

Modified by 89GLI16V at 8:47 PM 6-17-2009
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

17. 06-19-2009 09:50 AM #15
      Cool project..
      I'm lovin that CAT Diesel engine block.....

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-19-2009 07:14 PM #16
      Thanks. It's labor intensive, but I love it.
      GTI progress:
      I didn't work on it yesterday. Today I managed to accomplish a few things though. The wiring harness for the Phatbox is run along with the wiring for the fuel sending unit. The axle CVs are greased and attached to the transmission. The clutch hydraulic system is all installed. the shifter cables are now attached to the trans. The knee bar is in place. I banged out, primed, painted the floor pan on the driver's side. Someone not too long ago (no rust) must have thought the drain areas in the rear floor pan were suitable places to hoist the car from (don't know why the didin't use the axle pivot points...sigh). The carpet was mounded up noticably in the interior. Well, now one is straight again. The other side should be done tomorrow. Gotta pick up some seam sealer tonight to finish it all off. I mounted a 15" spare and the tool kit (cool styrofoam ring instead of the little blue bag)from the '98 in the spare tire well. The engine side of the wiring harness is installed. There is some oil in the motor now and a new Mann filter as well. I pulled the valve cover and poured the oil all over the camshaft just in case the assembly lube settled out.
      I just got off the phone with Kerma. I'll have the reducer tomorrow. It's awfully expensive, but what's another $100 on a $4000+ dollar build?
      I think I'm forgetting a few other things, but that's enough rambling for one day anyway. I've got tomorrow off, so there should be a great amount of progress to report later this weekend. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-20-2009 09:28 PM #17
      To say I'm ready to throw this turbo through an F-ing window would be a mild understatement. Plug and Play my assss. After spending $100 to get the coupler here today believing it was the last piece to the puzzle I was greeted with a Turbo inlet tube that is now too large for the new turbo (by about 1-2mm). It's molded plastic so I can't put a clamp on it. I am soooo pissed at Kerma right now.
      Plug and play... yeah right.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-22-2009 10:07 PM #18
      Paul and I talked today. There will be a reducing elbow at my house on Wed. I'll lop the end off of the old plastic tube and clamp the silicone to it. Seems like a workable solution for now.
      There's new pics in the album. The intercooler in mounted, and the nose is back together. I found out last night the MAF sensor bolt pattern is different between the TDI and a gasser. So much fo re-using the upper airbox cover. The dash is all back in except for the driver's side knee bar and one switch blank. I ran wires for the stereo amp, and the wiring to the center console for my gauge pack. I'll be running a EGT, Boost, and Voltmeter or Oil pressure gauge. I replaced the E-brake cables. More wiring work- The under dash area shouldn't take more than an hour or so more to be fully sorted. I should have the new intake elbow on Wed. I think that's when the suspension will be here too. So, on the agenda for tomorrow is finish wiring, install the hood, and hopefully pick up a suitable battery for it. If there's time I start removing the suspension in anticipation of the arrival of the new stuff.

'14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-23-2009 05:30 PM #19
      GTI update:
      I finalized some more wiring today. I hooked up a battery and didn't see any smoke (very good). I turned the key to the on position and tesed all of my lights- good to go. I bumped the key to the start position and got nothing. I suspect I have missed a wire in the '98 alarm system retrofit. Also the electric trunk popper solenoid is no longer functional. Should be easy enough, just gotta track it down. The A4 radio doesn't turn on either. I expected that though. It's looking for a 3rd power source that isn't hooked up yet in this car.
      A box showed up yesterday with the suspension rebuild kit. According to Mike at Parts4vws H&R kits are usually one day behind his stuff. So... I think suspension may be the order of the day tomorrow. Well that and wiring and a turbo and exhaust... Ahhh... some other stuff.

Modified by 89GLI16V at 4:31 PM 6-23-2009
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-24-2009 09:59 PM #20
      Puff puff pufff tick tick tick tick... itch itch.
      The car didn't actually make those noises, but it did make some noise.
      I sussed out the cranking issue. The oversight on my part was with the Automatic trans relay (150). When I tossed it I neglected to remove the .5 wire from F1 and replace it with a 4 wire and run it to T2/1. Once that wire was in place the car cranks. I didn't dare start it, just bumped the key to confirm the starter now works. I repaired the passenger side foglight that was F-d up, installed some misc. trim in the engine bay, sealed the A/C system back up, topped off the engine oil, filled the trans, reinstalled the new turbo, fitted the hood, replaced the suspension at all 4 corners, connected the exhaust (no cat for now), the battery tray is in, more coolant hoses are on and some other odd-ball stuff that I'm forgetting.
      I turned the engine by hand about 4-5 revolutions just to make sure everything is moving properly.
      I had to run home earlier this evening and I saw two boxes waiting for me. I'm gonna putter in the garage for a little bit this evening.
      The "to do" list now fits on a 5x7 piece of lined paper. No sweat!
      I'm not sure if the magic day will be tomorrow or Fri. My feelings right now: "Either it'll go up in smoke or it's gonna make smoke".
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-24-2009 10:01 PM #21
      Almost forgot...

There's more in the album.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-26-2009 07:41 PM #22
      So I was bleeding the brakes and clutch yesterday. Brakes- no sweat. Clutch...Lots o sweat. I bought new Febi Master and slave cylinders to install w/ a mind for reduced future service requirements. Well after several hours of thinking I had a stubborn air pocket I finally removed the master cylinder to find a piece of plastic poking out of the hyd. port to the slave. Grrrrr. Fortunately I'm a packrat - I had a good used one around. I'm gonna try to exchange this one and install it at a future service.
      BTW- It makes smoke. Timing is advanced just outside the recommended area and there's a steady stream or air bubbles in the fuel line. Only 1 DTC: it's for warning light open/short to ground. I can't find a wiring diagram showing the MIL light. Anyone care to help me with this?
      I'm off to the dealer for more coolant and thermo-T. Gotta get a few more hours of work in on it before work.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-26-2009 10:16 PM #23
      I had 15min left before I needed to get cleaned up for work today. The timing was adjusted to about the middle of the upper half of the graph. The car was idling and fully warmed up, visual inspections revealed no more leaks, the suspension was double checked and I was finally ready to drop it from the jackstands and take it for a cruise around the block. I lowered the rear end no issues. I lowered the front end and the jack got stuck under the car. I guess the new suspension took all of my clearance away. I tugged on the bumper cover and slid the jack out. With it safety out of the way I looked over the motor to ensure nothing had changed and that's when my heart sank. Damnit! I obviously had a large brain fart when assembling the front struts. I put the bearing on top of the bushing. I've assembled 25 or more sets of these struts and have never pulled a bonehead manuever like this before. So much for test driving it today. If I had about 45min. I would have jacked it up and fixed 'em, but reality said 10min. Sigh... I shut the car off, closed the garage door and went inside.
      For what it's worth I got home last night at 2:30am from work and stayed in the garage until 7am., slept for 3 hrs and went back to the garage. Tonight I'm goning straight to bed. I'm one tired puppy.
      The girlfriend goes to work at early so I'll be free to make noise anytime after that. I need a good nights rest because if the test drive goes well I'll be embarking on a 3000mi+ roadtrip tomorrow afternoon.
      I'm preparing a tool/spare parts kit that I'll take with me. I doubt I will need any of it, but I wouldn't want to get caught w/ my pants down in a fresh car. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little nervous.
      If you don't see any posts for a few days you'll know it went well.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-27-2009 01:45 PM #24
      So, I'm posting in the afternoon. I won't be leaving MA today. I corrected the suspension this morning and took off for a shake-down around the block. A few issues surfaced during that test run.
      First off, i miscalculated the clearance for the over axle pipe. Bad rattle... Second, there was an airplane noise coming from the front end.
      Third, the car shutters from a stop (IQ adjustment?) ,
      Fourth, it sounds like an exhaust leak from the manifold (unless the wastegate is just that loud and constant).
      Fifth, when I pulled back in the drive the motor started making a tapping noise (oh-fu**).
      The airplane noise was the rt front wheel bearing. I didn't have a new one, but I did have a complete hub on the Jetta (so it's now in the garage missing a leg) -haha.
      The tapping went away. I believe it was a lifter bleeding off. I've gone for 4 more rides around the block and haven't heard it since. I also installed an oil pressure gauge in the center console. it idles at about 1.5bar and runs around 4.5-5bar. I got into it a couple of times and the turbo spikes at about 25psi and seems to settle to about 20-21psi. Lots of dark grey / black smoke.
      The shutter off idle I am unsure of.
      I adjusted the exhaust system so there are no more rattles.
      I'm gonna take it into town in a bit and wash it. When I get back I'll look at some measuring blocks and see what I can do about the studder. I also want to pull a vac. on the A/C system, check the electricals, and charge it. Mom says it's going to be 100ish in St.Louis this afternoon. Shwetty boy. If I can avoid it, I'd like to.
      So... First impressions. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! This car is gonna get my hand smacked! 1st gear is kinda boring-average. It starts to tug in 2nd gear pretty well. 3rd gear is F-in' sweet! Power 'o plenty. Soot 'o plenty too if you lean on the "get the hell outta dodge" pedal. I had to get out of it before I could feel 4th and 5th. The block is only about 1/4mi. and I'm not running it hard. When it's broken in and I'm more comfortable with it I'm sure this car will stuff me and a co-pilot squarely into our seats. I like the touring style Cup Kit as well. Not too low, nor is it a jarring ride (something I was farmiliar with from the sport kit I had on a GLI). The brakes are good. They stop the car as well as they did when it was new. Some squeaks and rattles in the cabin. Those can be addressed as time goes on.
      Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Alright, I gotta get back to work on this thing. Wanna make it pretty for a photos. I also need to figure out that exhaust leak noise...
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Vehicles
      '14 Passat TSI
      06-27-2009 09:13 PM #25
      I have resolved the compression leak. I noticed witness marks on the #1+3 injectors. They were leaking compression past the seal rings. I snugged down the injector retainers and all is good. The car still shudders off idle and at low load cruising. I think that can be resolved with an IQ adjustment.
      Pleased... very pleased.
      '14 Passat TSI
      '73 and '68 BMW 2002s
      '64 Porsche 356C
      '55 IH R-122

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast