Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anxiety and Depression Sufferers...Your help and Input is Needed

Vehicles
      2012 SX4, 86 GTI track machine
      07-11-2009 03:35 PM #76
      This thread is a good read, I developed anxiety in the military, I am still In and I still have it. I have been "Iron manning" it for 5 years. My enjoyment of flying has turned into a panic attack every time i step on a plane, and i cant let anyone drive me around anymore...I feel like i need to be in control at all times one more year and im out, hopefully my anxiety stays behind. I will put some of the suggestions in this thread to use. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-12-2009 01:50 AM #77
      Quote, originally posted by shadylurker »
      This thread is a good read, I developed anxiety in the military, I am still In and I still have it. I have been "Iron manning" it for 5 years. My enjoyment of flying has turned into a panic attack every time i step on a plane, and i cant let anyone drive me around anymore...I feel like i need to be in control at all times one more year and im out, hopefully my anxiety stays behind. I will put some of the suggestions in this thread to use. thanks

Good luck. I figure I'll add what I've been thinking about lately...
      I have found recently that the easiest way for me to get rid of the "free floating anxiety" is to find something useful to do. It's hard to be worried when you have some sort of duty you are supposed to be taking care of. I think this is why caffeine was a good antianxiety medicine for me for a while. It made me so wired and on task that my mind did not have a chance to wander onto negative or anxiety producing thoughts...that is until the caffeine withdrawals.
      That being said, it works for just about any situation: Social Anxiety: Focus on useful things like conversation skills and getting the other person talking about their self. There are a million things you can and should focus on when you get social anxiety. Stop being self oriented and start thinking about the issue you are dealing with-socializing.
      Anxiety before sleep: Focus on body relaxation techniques and your breathing instead of letting your mind race or run the same thought script over and over in your head.
      Anxiety before a public speech: Focus on moderating your breath, tone of voice, and not shaking your hands or deathgripping the podium too much. Remember that everyone is nervous the first few times and it's just a hump you have to get over.
      It can be applied to any situation, you just have to catch yourself and think. Not that it alone keeps me from getting anxious. If I don't exercise for a day or two, well, nothing will keep the anxiety away. Also, diet. If I drink the night before. The anxiety is going to be up today. Caffeine: negative. There is always a crash.
      Also, when the anxiety starts cropping up, even if I cannot make it go away, I try to stay on top of it by acknowledging the anxiety producing thoughts. By staying wary and knowing what's going on in my head, I can have some modicum of control until the bad times pass or I can hit the gym to work them out.
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      The regulars here are actually pretty supportive, despite what the idiotic posters think.

4. 07-16-2009 03:51 PM #78
      I've read many of these posts and some have struck a nerve with me.
      It really is YOUR choice whether or not perscription drugs are for you. I have taken them and not become addicted. One thing my therapist said that really stuck with me was to not fight the anxiety. It becomes a cycle of anxiety building and then you mentaly fight it and you become "let down" by not being able to avoid the anxiety. The therapist also made a statement that was along these lines, "if taking a pill enables you to live your day as a productive person, why would you not take said pill and spend the day fighting something you do not have complete control over yet". That gave me the reassurance I needed 3 years ago, and for me it was a gradual process but I've gotten to a place were I recognize I have this disease and I have chosen to deal with it daily.
      If you have a splinter in your finger are you going to leave it in there and try to "will" it out? No your going to take the necessary steps to remove it and help it heal.
      I choose to say my anxiety disorder is a disease. This personally allows me to feel better about the steps to recovery. I'm not trying to compare it to cancer or anything but it helps to think of it as a disease that you seriously need to devote time and effort to in order for you to feel "better" If anyone needs to talk drop me an IM, I'm always hear for a fellow sufferer.
      NOTE: If you are taking a presciption drug DO NOT take over the counter suplaments. Many of these have bad reactions to the drugs. PLEASE check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any OTC supplaments or herbal remedies.
      Crusty Old Curmudgeon

5. Member
      07-16-2009 07:26 PM #79
      While i agree with speaking to a doctor before taking anything; I have to suggest Kava as a natural alternative. It's a natural anti-anxiety plant found and used in the south pacific. Ive been using it for alittle while and it helps;even if only for a placebo effect.

6. 07-16-2009 07:55 PM #80
      Herbals and supplaments are one route. I was just trying to stress that if your on meds consult a Dr. before you mix them.
      Crusty Old Curmudgeon

7. 07-17-2009 12:12 AM #81
      Quote, originally posted by sugmag »
      One thing my therapist said that really stuck with me was to not fight the anxiety. It becomes a cycle of anxiety building and then you mentaly fight it and you become "let down" by not being able to avoid the anxiety.

I was talking to a friend about this recently. It seems that I can deal with almost any type of issue in a healthy manner, yet sometimes, like when I have a big breakup or something nasty happens in my life, nothing in my repertoire can make the negative feelings go away.
      The more I try to find a healthy way to deal, the more I feel helpless to effect a positive change. It turns into a self feeding cycle of negativity and pretty soon I feel helpless, overwhelmed, or just want to give up.
      A friend told me that sometimes, like you said, you have to embrace the pain. You have to embrace the negative feelings because you cannot do anything to make them go away. You have to just let them subside on their own.
      It really struck a chord with me because now I realize I don't have to fight every negative feeling I have and turn it into a good one. Instead I do what I can, and if I can't make the sadness or worry go away, I embrace it and chalk it up to human nature that I cannot avoid it. After all, if I COULD avoid any and all negative emotions I had, I'd never be sad and sometimes you just gotta be sad. If certain things didn't get me a little down, i'd be a sociopath really.
      Anyway, I agree, medication is great, especially when used in conjunction with therapy.
      The regulars here are actually pretty supportive, despite what the idiotic posters think.

Vehicles
      T1 Barcode
      07-27-2009 05:18 AM #82
      Well, I cannot take it anymore as the anxiety has become very bad, a neurospych was in order but their pricing just for an evaluation along with over the top pricing...Could buy an E36 M3 Sedan in cash. I am looking not to see a spych now, and go this route.
      I just wanted to note thank for your words above and not to fight the anxiety/depression, rather think positive and try to go at it in a healthy way, rather not a negative one when you feel it coming on. Hopefully therapy comes soon. Thanks for the words above everyone
      Campagnolo 11spd -- '12 328iX Touring -- 2005 A4 Ultrasport Avant 6MT -- 2001.5 Audi A4 Avant 6MT -- 1979 Scout II --

Vehicles
      T1 Barcode
      09-04-2009 02:55 AM #83
      I wanted to bring this topic back up and see if I can get a little help, as since my birthday (Aug. 25th) part of my symptoms came back...I get these times where I have random thoughts, dreams I guess to call them, that are all fictional from characters to settings. They will randomly happen and interrupt whatever I was thinking of or about. I dont know why they happen, however, is this an anxiety symptom?
      I honestly do not know how to describe them that well, other then they bother me since they happen at random and such. Some say they are an anxiety symptom, however I would like anyone to chime in please, as they have been coming back and messing with my mind quite a bit. Would really love anyone to chime in please and add their pennies and thoughts.
      -Tyler
      Campagnolo 11spd -- '12 328iX Touring -- 2005 A4 Ultrasport Avant 6MT -- 2001.5 Audi A4 Avant 6MT -- 1979 Scout II --

10. 09-04-2009 09:06 AM #84
      When do the thoughts occur, specifically (give examples? Have you gotten around to seeing a therapist? There should be an affordable place to get treatment, are there any state colleges or government run mental health facilities near you?

Vehicles
      T1 Barcode
      09-05-2009 02:51 AM #85
      I just randomly get them, throughout the day and just tend to happen at any time during the day. I have a psychologist that I will be seeing for the second time this coming week, hoping to get this under control one way or another, and get over this current attack hopefully soon as it debilitates my mind a lot and gives me weird feelings in my bad.
      Just wanted to add this for all, if a loved member of yours dies, seek therapy immediately after. I waited a year before seeking help, and it has definitely not made this process any better, actually made it mentally debilitating when I have anxiety attacks.
      -Tyler :/

12. 09-05-2009 11:27 AM #86
      Quote, originally posted by Terrible One »
      I just randomly get them, throughout the day and just tend to happen at any time during the day. I have a psychologist that I will be seeing for the second time this coming week, hoping to get this under control one way or another, and get over this current attack hopefully soon as it debilitates my mind a lot and gives me weird feelings in my bad.
      Just wanted to add this for all, if a loved member of yours dies, seek therapy immediately after. I waited a year before seeking help, and it has definitely not made this process any better, actually made it mentally debilitating when I have anxiety attacks.
      -Tyler :/

I thought about your odd thoughts and, shooting from the hip here, I am going to go ahead and say it is a symptom of your anxiety. When we become anxious, sometimes we dissociate. Rather than dealing with the event or events that are causing our anxiety/fear, we kind of freeze up and fugue a bit. We go off into our own world as a means of coping. It's very common and can cause all kinds of interpersonal issues.
      A lot of people don't realize that when it comes to fear, there is fight, flight, AND freeze. You might be retreating into your own world rather than dealing with what is going on on the outside.
      If this is the case, you just need to be more vigilant and mindful of yourself when you become worried or scared. When you catch yourself in a tangential thought or story, go ahead and rewind a bit. Try to figure out what the activating event of your fear was. A lot of times it is not a big deal and not too scary. A lot of times, just reconsidering and verbalizing (cognitively) the fear really diminishes the worry and makes it easier to cope with healthfully.
      A lot of damned if you do damned if you don't situations as a child can lead to this freezing and dissociation. It's a cruel thing to do to kids, but saying things like "Why didn't you think?!" when your kid does not do something and "That's what you get for thinking!" when they do something but do it wrong happens more often than not. The child, having to healthy alternative, retreats inwards instead. It can become a script and means of coping.
      Go ahead and see the psychologist, I'm sure it will help a lot.

13. 09-05-2009 08:40 PM #87
      Grieving takes time. It can seem very complicated and confusing while you're in it, so much so that you don't know you are in it. I had a good friend pass away 8 years ago and only now am I beginning to realize the effect it had on me(I was 18 at the time). I can't advise you but only tell you that for me, it's been a long road.
      -Rob

14. 09-09-2009 10:24 AM #88
      I was amazed when i was surfing around the VW forum and discovered this thread. I actually started a thread like this about 3 years ago. https://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=1
      I know how you feel and what you are going through. I had the same thoughts and mind set just like yours when I first had the problem. I have been on the med (Zoloft) for almost 3 years now. 8 months ago, i decided to stop taking it. I was able to manage very well overall even though i had some minor attacks. Just about 2 weeks ago, i had a major anxiety attack. Woke up in the middle of the night and feeling overwhelming and anxious. I was able to calm myself down after telling myself that it was just an anxiety attack. However, the panic disorder kicked in.... For the past two weeks, i had trouble sleeping, eating, and stayed focus. I called my Psychologist and a friend of mine (who is also a doctor), i decided to go back to the med (50mg Zoloft).
      Don't feel like you are the only one that has this issue. Trust me, after I had my first attack, it was amazing to do how many people are dealing with the same issues. As we grow older, the stress of work, life, family and responsibilities can really get to us. Balance your life with exercise and hang out with positive people will help you through this period of your life.
      Save your drama for your mama, can you dig that, SUCKA~

Vehicles
      T1 Barcode
      09-20-2009 02:27 AM #89
      What helps everyone the most overcome the anxiety, whether it is herbal, excersis, etc... What helps you overcome it and keep your head up? Really looking into alternative therapies, and would love to hear what helps yourself get over it.
      Also, does anyone feel like they have a "cloud hanging over their head" feeling or just flat down and out as part of their symptoms? I have this one the most, and do not know how to get over it as it gets so any insight on this too would help so much.
      -Tyler

16. 09-20-2009 02:00 PM #90
      Quote, originally posted by Terrible One »
      What helps everyone the most overcome the anxiety, whether it is herbal, excersis, etc... What helps you overcome it and keep your head up?

You need meaningful connection. You need a healthy group of people around you. You are anxious because we evolved to be in a group (hunter gatherer whatever). If you are not feeling close and connecting to other individuals, your brain is sending warning signals (anxiety) to keep you on your toes. Make the connection and make the friends.
      That may be hard as you probably don't have the interpersonal skills to make good solid friends. You may be wired due to your genetics and upbringing to scare them off with your twitchiness, irritability, or gloominess, I don't know you so I cannot say.
      What the drug (SSRI's or whatever the doc prescribes) will do is make you not so twitchy, irritable, or gloomy. Pair that with a good therapist for you to connect with and learn good interpersonal skills with and soon you will be on your way to making and maintaining meaningful relationships with caring people.
      You'll need to learn to be a whole person. That means being healthy in many arenas. You need a good job that doesn't drain you, a good exercise regimen, good sleep schedule, good nutrition, a solid meaning or goal to your life, and good friends.
      This post contains the answer to all your questions...it's been a long road for me, but the above pretty much sums up what I have learned

17. Banned
      Vehicles
      BIG BLOCK DODGE
      01-19-2010 05:10 PM #91

18. 07-05-2019 03:46 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Terrible One View Post
      I will start my post off first that I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder 4 months ago after dealing with the death of my nephew Bryant in early 2008 . I dealt with the symptoms and did not do a thing to properly overcome them. My primary doctor stuck me on Lexapro in Febuary, and by late March began having seizures as an affect of the medication. Shortly after the second seizure she changed me to an SSRI type medication with a lower possibly of having seizures again.......Well Effexor XR has brought them back. My neurologist and doctor are taking me off Effexor after this Tuesday's past ambulance ride the ER after another seizure and my arm coming out of socket. Looks like I will be on my own for anxiety management.
      It is tough coming to my family right now about it as we are all struggling in different ways from Bryant's passing, so in any way I would love to hear how you deal with anxiety, depression, etc. without medication. The only medication upon I am available to take is Xanax but do not want to depend on that. Any help is super appreciated
      -Tyler
      Honestly, I feel for you, seriously... The death of loved ones hurts us very much... For example, when my beloved grandfather died, I didn't want to take any drugs, because I didn't want to feel better, on the contrary, I wanted to suffer. But then I got depressed, and at the same time I got dumped by a girl. Even after 3 years I didn't feel better, so I decided to take pills for depression. To be honest, I tried a huge number of pills, but the original Amitriptyline tablets that I order from this site http://worldpharm365.com helped me the best. To be honest, I chose it because I used Xanax earlier, but I became dependent on it, and I have no dependence on Amitriptyline, although it has the same effect as Xanax
      Last edited by Enjoythis5; 07-11-2019 at 04:37 PM.
      The name’s JOE NYAGGAH. I am a tireless seeker of knowledge, occassional purveyor of wisdom and also, coincidentally, a graphic designer.
      philosophy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234