VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TT/TTS/TTRS (MK2) Do-It-Yourself (DIY) thread

186K views 71 replies 40 participants last post by  JMBone 
#1 ·
No one has started this as a sticky yet, but we need it. I have a couple of DIY's that I need to turn into posts here for you guys. In the meanwhile, if any of you have step-by-step DIY's you'd like to share, lets make this the knowledge tank for us MK2 TT nutters!

#28 ·
Re: (tcardio)

Quote, originally posted by tcardio »
That is possibly the worst oil ever made for our engines!

Wow, please elaborate on your claim.

#29 ·
Re: (ttaz02)

OK new DIY time. This one is more practical and I was inspired to do this for BBLACK who is one of our forum users.
I use http://www.photobucket.com You can open a free account with them, and all you do is:

1. go to ("my albums") and click on it

2. then it gives you the option of ("choosing file") to add new pics off your desktop

3. then copy and paste the ("img code") into the body of your forum post
To post pics on Fourtitude select ("img code") Other forums may use a slightly different format such as ("html code")
Mazel-tov homies!

#33 ·
Couldn't find anything online for the MKII's so I took some pics as I replaced this wear & tear item. Pretty simple (sort of :sly:). I'll post them if anyone's interested?
Mine goes wonky all the time, and the dealership is getting sick of me coming by! I'd be into seeing how it gets done for the future.

TIA-
Jason

#35 · (Edited)
TJ-
I dont have pics, but here is the breakdown since I just yoinked mine out. The rear seat and parcel shelf components weigh 56 lbs btw!

You need to pull the rear interior 1/4 panels to get to the lg. star torx bolts on either side of the rear seat back rest. It's not entirely easy, and then there is a 15mm socket needed to pull out the center brace which affixes under the rear seat for the seat belts. I don't have pics to share with you of the process since I pulled them out super quick before I dropped the car off for the next round of mods last week.

Hope this helps man.
Jason

#41 ·
OSIR gauge pod install..

i search the web before tackling mine and mount nothing on the MKII..

this is to detail taking the vent out and install the pod ring.. i do not currently have a boost gauge to do a full gauge write up but will add to this once i do so..

first is to get a decent screw driver to pry out the vent.. just stick the screw driver between the vent and dash and wedge slightly til you can get a finger grip on it and use your hand to pull the rest out..

2nd step is to stick a think screw driver between the metal trim and plastic for the vent and give it a slight twist i tried 2 diffrent spots and it popped off.. just repeat going round the trim till it is completly off..

the end result will look like this..

next step is to remove the plastic trim piece that opens and closes the vent from the metal trim ring.. look on the inside and you will see 3 tabs.. you can use you flat screw driver and pop them loose then seperate..

you will end up with 2 pieces like this..

next line up the 3 tabs from the OSIR pod it will only go on 1 way as the tabs are not evenly spaced.. so if you put it on you will have to spin it until the tabs line up then click it in place..

final result with out gauge installed is this..

i hope this helps i few people out.. im far from a teacher.. and not use to doing step by step write ups..

#44 ·
i search the web before tackling mine and mount nothing on the MKII..

this is to detail taking the vent out and install the pod ring.. i do not currently have a boost gauge to do a full gauge write up but will add to this once i do so..

first is to get a decent screw driver to pry out the vent.. just stick the screw driver between the vent and dash and wedge slightly til you can get a finger grip on it and use your hand to pull the rest out..

2nd step is to stick a think screw driver between the metal trim and plastic for the vent and give it a slight twist i tried 2 diffrent spots and it popped off.. just repeat going round the trim till it is completly off..

the end result will look like this..

next step is to remove the plastic trim piece that opens and closes the vent from the metal trim ring.. look on the inside and you will see 3 tabs.. you can use you flat screw driver and pop them loose then seperate..

you will end up with 2 pieces like this..

next line up the 3 tabs from the OSIR pod it will only go on 1 way as the tabs are not evenly spaced.. so if you put it on you will have to spin it until the tabs line up then click it in place..

final result with out gauge installed is this..

i hope this helps i few people out.. im far from a teacher.. and not use to doing step by step write ups..
Nice info. and this is how the work looks when is finshed with OSIR pods for example my AEM boost controller and wideband gauge.

#42 ·
DIY: HID kit installation in Audi TT mk2

DIY: HID kit installation in Audi TT mk2

Im attaching a video from youtube of HID kit Installation on a New Audi TT mk2

You don´t need to drill your headlight cover.

Nobody could tell the difference between the halogen vs the OEM HID headlights (no cables or ballasts outside the headlight)

#43 ·
so for all the 3.2L owners, this upcoming weekend ill be changing out my sparks, so stay tuned for a diy... for future reference NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs are on order, reference to part IZKR7B.

oh since i never updated my stereo thread, im adding a amp soon so ill toss up an aftermarket headunit wiring DIY too :thumbup:

#45 ·
Changing TTS Brake Pads

Can anyone post a DYI on changing out the front and rear brake pads on a stock TTS? Or point out one that exists somewhere else?

#50 ·
Seeming that I like the amber mod that Jason and his vinyl came up with, I'm going to take it one step further this weekend and going to attempt to remove the actual reflector and spray can them matte black. One of the B8 owners just did his - ended up giving me the confidence to do the TT ones. I'm going was going to buy euro headlights in the UK but I figure I might attempt this mod, and if all goes well I'll save myself atleast $1200.

Heatgun, flathead screwdriver, matte black spray can, torx set, masking tape and some backup silicone here I come!

---
- Sent from my iPhone4.

#51 ·
Take lots of pics and post please! :thumbup:

#52 ·
havent tackled the headlights yet - on the TO-DO list but started a little interior mod. always felt the s-tronic/dsg was so out of place in comparison to the rest of the interior with the atrocious shifter.

so a few pics of what ive done tonight so far (note to self, turn off the flash :facepalm:):

looked somewhat like this:

yes, i know its not a manual and its the world's biggest dead pedal, but atleast the interior looks tons better, to me atleast :p

#56 ·
Engine Oil and FIlter on a 3.2L VR6 TT

Oil Filter - You need just one :)

I rolled the car up on a stepped ramp and setup the Griots Garage oil extractor.

Remove the underbody plastic panel by removing the T25, T30 and T40 screws. Note the location of the drain plug at the back of the oil pan and the oil filter housing (black with a 6mm allen bolt) in the front.

I can usually extract 5 quarts from the dipstick tube using the extractor. I like this approach as it does not fill up the pan under the car. You can also just do all the draining from under the car.

19mm socket for the oil pan drain bolt for the oil. Then the 6mm allen key for draining the oil filter housing - this bolt is then screwed back in. Lastly, the 36mm oil filter socket (or a 36mm axle socket will work) to unbolt the oil filter housing and switch the filter and screw it back in. Just snog and not nuts as that is a plastic housing. New O-ring comes with the filter.

Put everything back together under the car and fill the engine with fresh oil - I like Castrol Syntec/Edge 5w40 (VW 502 00 rated).

Roll the car onto level ground and start it up. Let it idle for a couple of minutes and then shut off. Wait for 2-4 minutes and check level - top off if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.