VWVortex.com - Cam follower/lobe issue solved by h2sport.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam follower/lobe issue solved by h2sport.

1. 12-27-2009 06:10 PM #251
      Quote, originally posted by h0ckeyfreek20 »
      Krieger- you're 100% correct... Just as i am 100% certain this is my first and last VW unless vwoa admits to the problem and fixes/offers compensation for it.
      I still am baffled at how they can continue to deny this on-going problem. I should compile a list of every cam follower issue thread on every 2.0t FSI forum and see if they can deny that there's a problem. Not like i'd be taken seriously though...
      and just in case anyones curious, I'm on my 4th follower. so that's over $200 out of pocket. Not to mention the hassle of installing it and the risk of breaking a sensor.

Modified by h0ckeyfreek20 at 2:51 PM 12-27-2009

I wouldn't just not get a brand cause of this. Theres more factors we can imagine that takes in play. However, for my next car, I'd do my research too. I was waiting on the TSI originally, but I thought the TSI may not be a good engine as its technically a "new" engine... who knew it would perform so well and fixed all these issues?
      I already have a next car in mind, so I am doing research on it until the day I buy it, hoping to know as much about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      03 24V GTI
      12-27-2009 06:20 PM #252
      VW built it to perform as THEY designed it, not you, I, or anybody else out there with anything Stage 1 and over... If car makers produced perfect cars, with parts that don't break, they'd go out of business!! So it's up to an after-market manufacturer to satisfy our hungers..
      It's a Volkswagen..and they have a reputation for this things, so I don't blame anyone for wanting to not buy another VW, that's your choice, but I'm one to learn to live with it because I still LOVE the cars they build.. just my 2. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '03 S6, '03 RS6
      12-28-2009 01:46 PM #253
      Quote, originally posted by h0ckeyfreek20 »
      I still am baffled at how they can continue to deny this on-going problem.

Simple. It would cost them money. Lots of money. There's no way VW doesn't know this is a problem. At some point they had to have done a cost analysis of admitting there's a problem and fixing it or extending our warranties vs. not admitting the problem and fixing the ones that happen to break within the warranty period... guess which was cheaper.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Booming economy edition ****boxes.
      12-28-2009 02:22 PM #254
      Quote, originally posted by joeyvdubGLI »
      VW built it to perform as THEY designed it, not you, I, or anybody else out there with anything Stage 1 and over...

gotcha, which is why cam followers die on stock cars too.

Vehicles
      03 24V GTI
      12-28-2009 02:31 PM #255
      I didn't mean to imply that the followers do not go bad on a stock car, just that it will go break sooner with more performance on these motors.

Modified by joeyvdubGLI at 10:05 AM 12-29-2009

7. 12-29-2009 12:11 PM #256
      Quote, originally posted by vdubdave »
      Simple. It would cost them money. Lots of money. There's no way VW doesn't know this is a problem. At some point they had to have done a cost analysis of admitting there's a problem and fixing it or extending our warranties vs. not admitting the problem and fixing the ones that happen to break within the warranty period... guess which was cheaper.

It's just like in the Airline Industry. EXAMPLE: If a part on an Jet costs say, $4,000,000.00 to fix & that makes the Jet 100% safe. They then go & add up the value of each passangers life on that Jet (using insurance industry stuff, mortality tables) If that # exceeds $4,000,000.00 then the said part doesn't get replaced. To the Airline it's not a "cost effective" business decision, same goes for VWOA in this situation or any other business for that matter.

Modified by rippie74 at 12:18 PM 12-29-2009
      Sold the VAG COM

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      12-29-2009 12:15 PM #257
      Quote, originally posted by rippie74 »
      It's just like in the Airline Industry. EXAMPLE: If a part on an Jet costs say, $4,000,000.00 to fix & that makes the Jet 100% safe. They then go & add up the value of each passangers life on that Jet (using insurance industry stuff, motality tables) If that # exceeds $4,000,000.00 then the said part doesn't get replaced. To the Airline it's not a "cost effective" business decision, same goes for VWOA in this situation or any other business for that matter.

this is true. Your government does the same thing when they decide where to place a power plant, highway, high voltage power lines, or some other hazardous object. lmao, blew my sister's mind when she started working for the government. callous bastards.
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

9. 12-29-2009 12:17 PM #258
      Quote, originally posted by Krieger »
      this is true. Your government does the same thing when they decide where to place a power plant, highway, high voltage power lines, or some other hazardous object. lmao, blew my sister's mind when she started working for the government. callous bastards.

Yup, just about everything that's out there is measured in a similar fashion.
      Risk vs. Reward
      Sold the VAG COM

Vehicles
      1998 A4 Quattro
      12-29-2009 02:39 PM #259
      Back on topic:
      Any initial results of this new magic follower? I hate having to change mine every 20k miles since I have the metal hoses and the annoying banjo bolt.
      "Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly"

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
      12-29-2009 02:41 PM #260
      I have a $3200 repair bill to replace my follower, HPFP and intake cam (plus seals, gasket, OC, etc). Love to know if there's a silver bullet coming for this.

12. 12-29-2009 03:22 PM #261
      Quote, originally posted by CoNGLoMeRaTeGTi »
      So I was at WF15 today. I needed to purchase 2 things a new vag cable and the h2sport control arm bushings. I get my new vag cable and I find myself astonished at a prototype cam follower solution that h2sport is working on. It's 100% genius. They're using TSI technology on the FSi platform. Seems the h2sport has a cam follower with a roller on the bottom which would have minimal friction on the cam lobe. I really don't want to give away anything else except that you will NEVER EVER have to change another cam follower if you own an FSI. No more fears of cam lobe/follower failure. I will keep everyone posted.
      BTW h2sports bushings are topnotch.

If they are using TSI technology on FSI engine. Wonder if any other company would be interested
      in doing this cam follower fix for FSI owners. Like APR or EuroJet .. Hint.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      12-30-2009 09:53 AM #262
      Quote, originally posted by gshabanov »
      If they are using TSI technology on FSI engine. Wonder if any other company would be interested
      in doing this cam follower fix for FSI owners. Like APR or EuroJet .. Hint.

This is exactly why they won't give us information about it. If it is well designed, not patented, and there is a strong market for it you can be sure other companies will look building it. I hope everyone at least understands who is putting the real work into making this work and thinks twice about buying a copy (if there is one) to save some small amount of money.
      This is all assuming it works and they can sell it a reasonable amount of money. For me, I am keeping my car one more year and am not interested.

14. 12-30-2009 11:47 AM #263
      Quote, originally posted by c_kennedy »
      I have a $3200 repair bill to replace my follower, HPFP and intake cam (plus seals, gasket, OC, etc). Love to know if there's a silver bullet coming for this.

That's some serious BS right there. I had the same exact work performed on my car & mine was covered under warranty 100%. If I were you I'd contact VWOA about your bill. That's BS!
      On a side note a similar issue occured with my V-ROD. I was out of warranty & there was a known issue with the fuel flange. I brought it to the dealership & they tried to BS me into paying $500+ to repair a known issue (service bulletin).
      I called Harley Davidson's Corporate Office in Milwaukee WI & informed them of the issue @ hand & they called the dealership that had my bike & next thing you know the repair was done that same day & the bill was $0.00.
      Good Luck with your issue man...
      Sold the VAG COM

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      12-30-2009 11:55 AM #264
      Quote, originally posted by rippie74 »
      How many miles were on it?

Sorry, I've been away from the thread for a while. I have no way of knowing what the mileage was when it punched through, but I checked it at 82,XXX and discovered the problem. I was out of warranty, and had to haggle to reach an "accommodation" with VWoA.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
      12-30-2009 12:20 PM #265
      Wish I could say they'd helped. I'm 30 days out of warranty when i make the appointment for the symptom (and only 40K miles) and AoA won't do anything at all for me. I have already dealt with the dealer (who tried) and AoA (well, NA, I'm in Canada) but they will not acknowledge my issue as their product weakness. I am thoroughly disgusted with how Audi HASN'T stood behind the integrity of their product in this case, having issued TSBs, changed the manufacturing process to use a harder lobe for the follower, and still refuses to support an owner. I will likely never purchase another Audi again (nor will I stop telling everyone I know this story).
      Glad to hear that there are still reputable dealerships and brand out there that speak to quality and if there are issues, look after their customers. I have written, called, and emailed AoA, and gotten no satisfaction or goodwill whatsoever.

Vehicles
      12-30-2009 05:04 PM #266
      then contact ur local media and inform them of the situation. I know that when alot of Honda owners had issues with their transmissions in this newest gen of SIs, Honda told them they were **** outta luck till the media ran it in the news and now they all have extended warranties plus free repair of their tranny issue.
      if that doesnt work, go to a lawyer. Show that you maintained the car as per the manufacturer and you were never told that the engine was only going to last you 60,000 miles before it failed and you want your money back or them to fix a KNOWN issue.
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 United Grey GTI
      12-30-2009 10:29 PM #267
      Subscribed.
      07 United Gray GTI
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubtek
      ...I am very meticulous in my inspections (vw master certified, finalist in the world service qualification championships last year).
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2vdubber
      walt - what are the torque specs on a vr6 head?
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubtek
      1/2" impact gun on the 3rd setting.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
      12-31-2009 10:09 AM #268
      Just out of curiosity does anyone have access to the info which provides the labour estimates to the dealer as to what this job (or combo of jobs) would run or, an Audi dealer they could trust to get an honest answer? I would -love- to get my hands on any documentation or a quote from another dealer that has a different labour value, or at least reassurance that the numbers I'm being quoted (17 hrs?) is correct for diagnosis, removal, and repair.
      I'm looking at the intake cam, HPFP, and follower, plus miscellaneous seals/gaskets, and an oil change.

Vehicles
      12-31-2009 01:55 PM #269
      17 hours??? woah, holy ****.
      just call any dealership (or PM [email protected]) and ask for a ballpark figure on parts and labor. They will all let you know.

Vehicles
      06 VW GLI
      12-31-2009 08:38 PM #270
      Quote, originally posted by Krieger »
      17 hours??? woah, holy ****.
      just call any dealership (or PM [email protected]) and ask .

https://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...73053
      Read below about mine and other fsi stage 3 owners bad experience and poor results with APR and there Stage 3 Kits. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ge-3-dyno-runs
      Quote Originally Posted by jhines_06gli View Post
      I'd say you have nothing to worry about, but then again.....you are driving a modified VW. You have EVERYTHING to worry about!!!
      -J. Hines

Vehicles
      JATO powered gokart
      01-02-2010 10:39 AM #271
      17hrs might not be that far off. It takes a quite a bit of time to scrape the old sealant off the cam frame and head without damaging them...
      Def took me a while to do mine.

23. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      B5 Passat/MK6
      01-02-2010 01:23 PM #272
      Wow that is Crazy! book time is only 6.5 hrs

Vehicles
      65 Bug, 81 Caddy+trailer, 83 GTI, 84 GTI, 92 GTI VR, 01 TT225, 02 TDI Beetle, 06 GLI, 68 Mustang
      01-02-2010 06:42 PM #273
      This is from ElsaWeb on a 2006 GLI, same times for an Audi though. Following TSB # 15-09-03.

01210002 Test drive . 10 TU

01320026 Technical check . 100 TU

01500000 GFF/Guided functions . PRINTOUT

15051920 Camshaft remove+reinstall 520 TU

01210004 Test drive . 10 TU
      That's VW stuff...........basically the MOST warranty has ever paid me is about 7.80 hours including all diag. So YES, 17 is a bit too high...lol
      -J. Hines

Volkswagen South Charlotte
      a.k.a. VSC Tuning
      Unitronic through the
      dealership environment!!

25. 01-04-2010 12:30 PM #274
      We have successfully tested our fuel pump drive upgrade and have determined the kit contents. But before we get to that, here's some background info.
      The Concept:
      In essence the upgrade uses a roller cam follower in lieu of the stock flat face follower. The advantages of the roller follower are long life and lower friction.
      The Details:
      In detail the new roller follower is larger in diameter than the original flat face follower. This requires a new mount bracket that houses the roller follower and mounts the fuel pump – see below.

Upgraded Roller Follower (left) and Fuel Pump Mount (right)
      Also, and most importantly, the cam profile is revised to achieve the right fuel pressure at the right time. Revising the cam profile is necessary because the lift of a roller follower versus a flat face follower isn't the same. Simply put you can’t just swap a flat face follower for a roller follower and get the same lift. You have to revise the cam profile too. To the casual eye the new profile may look like the old, but when view side-by-side the difference is obvious.

Revised Cam Profile (lower left) and End Cover
      One challenge with the upgrade kit was determining how to cost effectively revise the cam profile and modify the end cover. In the end we decided the best way will be for customers to send us their intake cam and end cover to which we will install the revised cam profile and modify the end cover – all with same day turn around.
      The Kit
      The compete upgrade kit consists of a roller cam follower, a fuel pump mount bracket, a revised cam profile installed onto the cam, modifying the end cover, longer fuel pump mount bolts, O-rings, new valve cover gasket, and new end cover gasket.
      The price for the complete kit will be CDN$425 (about US$400) but we have an introductory price of CDN$335 (about US$316). Kit availability information is coming soon.

26. 01-04-2010 12:38 PM #275
      This is EPIC!! Been lookin fr a fix! Great Job guys! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by dubman6 at 9:53 AM 1-4-2010

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast