Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: AEB Cold Start

1. 07-26-2009 04:46 PM #1
      solved
      symptoms:
      when the car sits overnight or for longer than 5 or 6 hours, it will idle normally. however, if given enough gas to rev over 1800-2000, it will stall and die. if i try to restart the car, it will crank and crank and crank but there will be no combustion for at least 30 seconds. eventually, it will start up and misfire on two cylinders (which specific cylinders changes every time it happens.) if i let it idle and misfire, the other two cylinders will eventually kick in one at a time as the car warms up. once its warm, the car drives as it should. if instead of trying to restart the car, i let it sit for 10-15 minutes after it has died at idle, i can return and restart the entire process. it will start up normally, but if i rev it past 1800-2000 it will die again. my only means of getting the car driving is to let it idle for approx. 5 minutes, at which point it will drive perfectly normally (because it has heated up some.) on a warm engine, the car drives pretty well, and once i have warmed the engine up once during the day, its usually good for the entire day and i can start it at will without any problems. its only if i let it sit overnight that it fails to start.
      replaced:
      thermostat
      coolant temp sensor (twice)
      timing belt
      turbo
      fuel pressure regulator
      ignition control module
      coil packs
      spark plugs (bkr6e and bkr7e, twice)
      injectors
      ecu
      mass airflow sensor
      throttle body
      fuel pump relay
      i also tried (after making the car die at idle) shooting starter fluid into the intake manifold, but it would still just crank for 30 seconds with no combustion. this leads me to believe that its a spark issue but i dont know that for sure.
      codes:
      -intermittent/random misfires across all cylinders: the car only throws this code if i cause it to stall by giving it gas. if i let it warm up, i do not get this code, nor do i get any CEL. the car just passed inspection, in fact.
      -cat failing code: i have a high flow cat (<30,000 miles on it) so my assumption is that this code is caused by increased exhaust flow to the secondary o2. ive had it intermittently since ive owned the car.

if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate the help. thanks in advance!

Modified by sellingb5stuff at 5:26 PM 8-1-2009

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      07-27-2009 12:06 AM #2
      Hang in there. Some of the aeb guys will eventually step in.. I had one for a long time but never really had many issues with it besides coilpacks, a maf, a fried throttle body, and a bad ecu.. Over the course of 176,000 miles I never had a cold start problem...

4. 07-27-2009 02:47 PM #3
      hey, thanks for posting. i wish i had your luck with this motor!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-01-2009 08:29 PM #4
      turns out there was a break in the valve cover ground wire UNDERNEATH the plastic covering of the wiring harness. there was no visible damage from the outside. i replaced the harness (having replaced everything else) and found that it fixed the problem. it wasnt until after i tore the original apart that i found the break. ridiculous!