Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how would you handle this

Vehicles
      2 cars - 3 turbos
      11-20-2009 07:26 PM #1
      hi all i hope this is appropriate place to post this on the site. a friend of mine is having a lot of trouble at his complex and i figure since it is car related maybe someone has a good idea and a lot of people are smarter than me i know.
      this is why i dont wanna move out of my parents house!!!
      please read his post! and let me say first that i confirmed with him it is a apartmetn not a condo he doesnt own anything.
      Phoenix area legal experts (I know there at least a couple members on here who are or have been in law school) I have a question for you.
      I live in an apartment complex with assigned parking spaces. I pay for my parking space with my rent, the space number is on my lease. I have an end space, which is nice because it's wider, so I can park my motorcycle and my fiance can park her car in the same assigned parking space.
      However, probably because it's an end space and my fiance and I both work late. Douchebags keep parking in my space , sometimes overnight. I don't get home until the office is closed, so I have to find somewhere else to park, which is infurriating to no end. It's even mroe infuriating when I get home, park my motorcycle, and some douchebag parks in the space with me... with my motorcycle already in the space. WTF is wrong with you?
      I tried just calling the number for the towing company myself (it's posted all over the space, right next to the sign that says reserved), but they wouldn't do anything about it unless the office called them. This leads to 2 questions that I would like legal advice on.
      1) Why can't I call the towing company myself? I pay for that space every month, I own that space just like I own my apartment. If someone broke into my apartment I'd call the cops, I wouldn't call the office and have them call the cops. Why doesn't the same principle apply to my parking space? Could I call the cops and have them write a parking ticket for the person in my space?
      2) Possibly more importantly, if I take a tire iron and beat the holy living **** out of the car in my space, would I be on the hook for vandalism? I know there are all sorts of laws in Arizona saying that if someone breaks into my apartment I can use force with pretty much no provocation to remove them, right? Does that same principle apply to a car in my parking space... an extension of my apartment? What if I shoot the car? I'm allowed to shoot an intruder, right? Am I allowed to shoot the intruding car instead?
      2B) If the gun's ok but the tire iron isn't (who knows, this is a gun happy state), I don't own a gun, anyone want to lend me one?
      Let's argue this the American way; volume, proximity, and repetition.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned
      11-20-2009 07:29 PM #2
      they take spot
      you wait for them to come back
      asskickery
      ???
      profit

11-20-2009 07:30 PM #3
      dollies
      Texts Between Men: My calculator watch said "80085" for boobs

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I've sucd di lsks bigger than. You

Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      11-20-2009 07:30 PM #4
      interested
      this is a legit question
      I would assume it falls under trespassing
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

6. Member
      Brooklyn, NY, but my heart's still in Scranton
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      11-20-2009 07:31 PM #5
      Leave a note. If I'm visiting someone in an apartment complex and they don't tell me it's assigned parking, I'm gonna park wherever there's a free space. Give them the benefit of doubt before you commit autocide.
      Editorial Assistant and Saturday writer at the tech blog Gizmodo, automotive freelancer with a heart of gold. Find me on Twitter (@rsorokanich), Facebook, or in any bar that serves Yuengling on draft.

My published work

Vehicles
      '05 Ducati Monster S2R 800, '66 Suzuki X6 Hustler Cafe, '67 Suzuki X6 Scrambler
      11-20-2009 07:31 PM #6
      Leave a note under their wiper that says "I pay for this spot, don't park here anymore."
      That just might do the trick

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      11-20-2009 07:31 PM #7
      the towing company should know which car is assigned to which spot and should be able to tow the car that doesnt belong. Do yo have a parking sticker? Does the car in you spot have one?
      dont damage the car, vandalism is vandalism

finally, where are the pics?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Mazda6 V6
      11-20-2009 07:32 PM #8
      No violence in here ok? I'm a gun owner and s**t like you're saying give us a really effin bad name.
      Quote Originally Posted by pilot2005 View Post
      So far I see the ones calling names are not very bright and has not figured that out for themselves.

11-20-2009 07:33 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Clarkson »
      dollies

x2 LOL! or call APS!
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2019 VW Atlas SEL | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD |2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed MT Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed MT | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed MT | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed MTl | 2001 Honda Accord

Vehicles
      2 cars - 3 turbos
      11-20-2009 07:34 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by caniaitalia »
      No violence in here ok? I'm a gun owner and s**t like you're saying give us a really effin bad name.
      don't get mad at me im 16 and i cant own a gun but ill send your comment to my friend.

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      11-20-2009 07:35 PM #11
      i'd take a pair of floor jacks and move that bitch. that's just me though.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Vehicles
      MKV GTI, E36 328
      11-20-2009 07:40 PM #12
      Have the office notify the towing company that there is a chronic problem with your parking spot and that you are authorized to call and request a tow.

Vehicles
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6
      11-20-2009 07:40 PM #13
      when you leave in the morning, lay down a spike stripe. they won't park there anymore.
      or put a boot on their car, not vandalism. call the office maybe? they'll call the towing company
      this doesn't seem like it should be rocket science

15. 11-20-2009 07:47 PM #14
      *call a sketchier towing company.
      *report a foul smell coming from the trunk to the police
      *put car up on jack stands so it cant be moved
      *refer to that prank thread from about a month ago.
      *put a for sale sign on it, its on your property, ergo, 9/10th of the law and such.
      *remove licence plates, report to athorities
      *FROGBOX
      What are we gonna do now?

11-20-2009 07:55 PM #15
      do you OWN the condo???
      or do you RENT an apartment.
      if you rent, the spot is not yours in any way shape or form. that's why you can't call the towing company, and that's why you'll go to jail if you beat the ever livin' out of someone's car.
      why don't you call the office that you (I'm assuming rent, becuase you said you were 16) rent from and ask these questions?

Vehicles
      1997 B4 Passat TDI
      11-20-2009 07:57 PM #16
      get an enclosed trailer and park it in the parking spot. now you have your own private garage in there too. if someone parks in that, now you can call the cops for B&E.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      E90 BMW 328i, Moto Guzzi 850T
      11-20-2009 07:58 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by onefastboostedjetta »
      1) Why can't I call the towing company myself? I pay for that space every month, I own that space just like I own my apartment. If someone broke into my apartment I'd call the cops, I wouldn't call the office and have them call the cops. Why doesn't the same principle apply to my parking space? Could I call the cops and have them write a parking ticket for the person in my space?

Part 1: Crazy as it sounds, the office is paying the towing company to patrol the area, so it makes sense that they take it up with the towing company rather than your friend. However, your friend should definitely complain to the office about the parking problem, as well as the towing company's lax job keeping the spaces clear.
      Part 2: The police enforce parking laws on public property, not private, except spaces mandated by law (handicapped parking). Most rules on private lots are BS (speed limits, etc.) aside from that.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Vehicles
      2 cars - 3 turbos
      11-20-2009 08:01 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by ::xander:: »
      do you OWN the condo???
      or do you RENT an apartment.
      if you rent, the spot is not yours in any way shape or form. that's why you can't call the towing company, and that's why you'll go to jail if you beat the ever livin' out of someone's car.
      why don't you call the office that you (I'm assuming rent, becuase you said you were 16) rent from and ask these questions?

dude did you read my first post i said it was a friends apartment and i even clarified that he is renting.... its fine if you don't read the whole thing but dont try to call me out for something which i already clarified... thats just silly

11-20-2009 08:06 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by onefastboostedjetta »
      dude did you read my first post i said it was a friends apartment and i even clarified that he is renting.... its fine if you don't read the whole thing but dont try to call me out for something which i already clarified... thats just silly

I'm not calling you out at all.
      if that's the case you have your answer. You have no legal right to that space, you don't own anything.
      call the person who does.

21. Banned
      Vehicles
      BIG BLOCK DODGE
      11-20-2009 08:08 PM #20
      call the office during office hours
      explain the situation
      ask them to put the name of whoever rents the apartment on the authorized list of office staff allowed to call the tow company & request a tow
      that might just do it

11-20-2009 08:10 PM #21
      1. arizona blows
      2. move to another state, preferably one with less stupid parking regulations and "speed cameras"
      3. ....
      4. PROFIT!
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2019 VW Atlas SEL | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD |2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed MT Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed MT | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed MT | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed MTl | 2001 Honda Accord

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      11-20-2009 08:12 PM #22
      If the area in front of the parking spot is grass/dirt, I'd make a sign that says something to effect of "parking spot paid for and reserved by tennant, if you park here you may be towed."

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      11-20-2009 08:21 PM #23
      1) Drill a hole in a ping pong ball.
      2) Place/Force into offending vehicles gas tank.
      3) Wait & laugh
      - The ball will fill with gas, then be sucked to the point where it block the intake of gas. Or at least thats the urban myth I've heard.

25. Banned
      Vehicles
      BIG BLOCK DODGE
      11-20-2009 08:25 PM #24
      i read an FML post that 9 golfballs in the muffler was enough to kill an engine...

Vehicles
      2015 Passat TDI SE, 1959 Vw Bug
      11-20-2009 08:26 PM #25
      Have your friend ask at the office.
      I had a scenario like this at my complex (someone was parking in my paid and marked parking spot). I spoke to the office and they told me if it happens again to call the main office phone number. It will forward to the managers cell phone.
      Someone ALWAYS has to be available for emergencies. They can't just shut off their phones at 5pm. Granted, this may not be an emergency, per se, but he have a right to his spot if it is clearly marked that it belongs to a tenant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast