VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Rare Spec.

388K views 1K replies 396 participants last post by  Gaki 
#1 ·
Since we all have different brands and interests, I'm curious to what is precious and rare in your car community.
Post rare - trims/packages
- colors
- limited editions
- etc
pics would be awesome

I'll start - BMW E36 M3 LTW
Around 125 produced - No ac/radio/amenities - aluminum doors, sportier suspension. around 300lbs lighter than a regular m3

See less See more
#74 ·
Re: FV-QR (mavric_ac)

It's real. I have seen it in a local shop, it sat inside for awhile in the winter. He has turned up at cars and coffee GTG's as well.
On the topic of rare BMW's saw one of these cruising down Main Street Hopkins, MN two summers ago. Yes it was real.

We have rare poop for sale around here as well! Local CL find of the century.
968 CS

http://minneapolis.craigslist.....html

Modified by Phishy at 5:59 PM 11-30-2009

#76 ·
Re: FV-QR (nm+)

Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

VWoAs records show something like 3 or 6 of these being sold in the US. So, yeah.

They were never officially offered.
Probably one of the rarer "official" B5 Passats would be the 1.8T 4motion five-speed wagon. Only offered in '04-'05. Mr Wolf used to have one IIRC.
Canadian spec 1994 BMW M3 Euro-spec is quite rare: only 45 were brought here. Kind of makes up for the fact that we didn't get '95-'96 M3s.

Even rarer, the 1995 BMW M540i. Only 32 sold in Canada. Similar to the '95 540i sold in the U.S. but closer to being a "real" M5. The only difference being it's powered by the standard 4.0 V8 rather than the M5's straight six. More info: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=13 Such a stunning car. Here's one of six daytona violet ones:

#534 ·
Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

VWoAs records show something like 3 or 6 of these being sold in the US. So, yeah.

They were never officially offered.
Probably one of the rarer "official" B5 Passats would be the 1.8T 4motion five-speed wagon. Only offered in '04-'05. Mr Wolf used to have one IIRC.
Canadian spec 1994 BMW M3 Euro-spec is quite rare: only 45 were brought here. Kind of makes up for the fact that we didn't get '95-'96 M3s.

Even rarer, the 1995 BMW M540i. Only 32 sold in Canada. Similar to the '95 540i sold in the U.S. but closer to being a "real" M5. The only difference being it's powered by the standard 4.0 V8 rather than the M5's straight six. More info: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=13 Such a stunning car. Here's one of six daytona violet ones:
http://www.willz.ca/

they have some on occasion

#77 ·
Re: (mac dre)

Quote, originally posted by mac dre »
W220 S350 - Briefly brought over to the U.S., used the same 3.5l as in the c-class and ml-class
very few sold

Do you know if the S350 was SWB or LWB? Oddly enough that model wasn't offered in Canada, even though we got an S430 SWB, which wasn't offered in the US.

#78 ·
Re: FV-QR (Phishy)

Quote, originally posted by Phishy »

I remember seeing the ad in the paper when the cars were at Burnsville VW (Mpls. suburb) IIRC they had 8-10 and were selling them at $13xxx new about $2g less than a "regular" 4dr 1.8T. A local VW shop owner bought one new and it was nicely modded up throught its life. We had another one turn turn up at the now defunct S&L Imports when I was working there.

I'm not saying it isn't true but it's quite unusual. At least in Canada, only the base Golf GL was available without A/C. The GLS had A/C standard, and all 1.8Ts were GLS models.

#80 ·
Re: FV-QR (mavric_ac)

Quote, originally posted by mavric_ac »
Oliver there's a 1995 BMW M540i on autotrader right now for sale in TO I think. Going for like 45k or something like that. Wish I had the monies lol.

You and me both!
Another rare one: the 2007 R63 AMG. I couldn't find definitive production numbers, but it looks like a total of around 200 built with under 100 sold in the U.S. I saw a black one in Montreal earlier this year, looks rather menacing in person.

#81 ·
#83 ·
Re: FV-QR (Oliver@triplezoom)

Another rare BMW: 2010 M6 Competition Edition. Canada only, 10 units. Here's the details:
Quote »
o Tuned and lowered suspension (12mm front, 10mm rear)
o Re-calibrated settings for EDC, DSC and ABS
o Modified M Differential Lock
o ½" wider forged alloy wheels (Track width and wheel design
unchanged vs. standard M6 Coupé)
o Pirelli PZero Corsa R-Compound Tires
o Engine hood with precision lines
Illuminated door sills with "///M6 Competition" designation
Sequentially numbered interior badge on roofliner
Exterior foil badging "Competition" on trunk lid below "M6"
SMG 7-speed Seqential M Gearbox mandatory
Audiophile Sound Package mandatory

$10k premium over a base M6.
Here's one for sale: http://www.autotrader.ca/used_...hotos,,

#84 ·
Re: (bikerboy)

Quote, originally posted by bikerboy »

My dad had an '87 Volvo 740 Turbo-Intercooler wagon with the M46 (4-speed+ electronic OD) manual gearbox.
I still remember it, it was such an awesome car. I'd love to find another someday.
Any 740/940 Volvo with the 16v 2.3. Have only seen a handful of them.

my dad had an `86 Volvo 740 Turbo-Intercooler wagon with the M46 (4-speed+ electronic OD) manual gearbox. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#86 ·
Re: (Lithium Lotus)

Quote, originally posted by Lithium Lotus »
Pontiac Solstice GXP model with the optional Z0K clubsport suspension package. Unknown number produced, but said to be less then the base model with the Z0K.

I took an autocross lap in one a few years ago. I have also driven the Z0K base model...definitely stiffer than the regular suspension.
Both were company cars however. I really do wonder what the production numbers ever were.

#87 ·
Re: (Phishy)

Quote, originally posted by Phishy »
MKIV 4 dr Golf 1.8T's without A/C, we had a few of these around town when they were new, story was the local dealer bought ~10 or so and they were destined for Norway or somewhere in scandanavia. Sell-able in Minnesota.

Impossible.
I've worked with VW dealers and reps for years, this would never happen.
A) US and Euro-spec cars are different. Things from bumpers, to lights, and interiors, are market specific.
B) A/C was standard on ALL G/J4's in the the US-market.
C) Golf 1.8T's were built in Brazil for the NA market. VW wouldn't build one batch to ship to Norway, AFAIK.
D) When the B6 Passat was launched, I personally drove a US-spec car, with EURO sport seats and interior, BUT the gauges and such were US-spec. When VW learned of the mix up, they put the car in Fleet status for a Dealer Rep. Once the car was "miled out" it was crushed. The seats, and material weren't DOT-approved.
This would make the G4 1.8T destined to Norway, impossible.

#89 ·
Re: FV-QR (VDub2625)

Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »

My old rare:

1989 Jetta GLI 16v Wolfsburg Edition- Helios Blue paint (blue, purple, gray, all at the same time), Recaro seats in blue stripe, and only 1500 made.

My buddy had one of these. His first car back in '04 or something. I was teaching him how to drive stick in a parking lot, and we heard a clunk, then started loosing all the gears. Turns out we blew a hole in the transmission housing (he wasn't doing too bad either). Not the most encouraging thing to pick up pieces of your trans from the pavement on your first day. The car was tons of trouble for him since then, and he got rid of it.
I had no idea what this car was at the time, but I'm sad that he let it go, and that I didn't have the sense to grab it.

#93 ·
Re: FV-QR (VDub2625)

There were 95 W8 Passat Wagons w/4-Motion & a 6-Speed in the US.
Quote, originally posted by VDub2625 »

I think that's rare for the W8 model 9standard 4motion), and even more super-rare for the W8 wagons (like under 100).
Also B5 TDis are rare (B5.5s were more common but still not as popular as Jettas).

#97 ·
How rare are the Recaro Trophy GLIs? I had an '89, and I've never seen another one with the same interior.

Modified by A Gruesome Time at 8:27 PM 11-29-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.