VWVortex.com - OT - H.E.A.T. (Australian)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - H.E.A.T. (Australian)

1. 12-06-2009 07:34 PM #26
      where did you source your itransport from? an alternative i'm looking into is the nd-s1.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-06-2009 08:01 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Jim Bookie »
      if you're talking about the availability of vinyl, then yes, it's around, but not in great amounts, and god knows if the next generation of audiophiles will keep the vinyl candle burning?
      if you already have a substantial collection of records, then this tt will bring them to life like you've never heard before. if you don't, and are not willing to dig the crates at record fairs, nor scour the internet for
      o/s suppliers, then stick to your digital media; it's the future, after all....

I dunno, I think with the rise of digital music and the associated cost for what is essentially buying fresh air, Vinyl is well placed for a resurgance, its more of a boutique item and as we know douchebags love the air of exlcusivity and many artists are going out of their road these days to release albums on vinyl in special editions where more thought has gone into the production, i dunno i think its just nice to hold and feel something and be able to read liner notes without squinting or wondering wtf that is on a cd cover thats too small to see.
      I guess the internet has kinda ruined all the mystery and fun of follwing music and the stories and so forth, but i still dig alot of releases on vinyl i probably should have bought but cbf'd as i dont have a turntable anymore and havent bought any in years, but i have boxes in the roof
      That and the sound of a needle hitting PVC is probably one of the best in the world
      Yeah, i really do have to get me a turntable again sharpish.

Modified by Mr. Stubby at 5:09 PM 12-6-2009

4. 12-06-2009 09:14 PM #28
      yep, vinyl definitely sound warmer and got more character than any cd or wavefile....haha it's so more exciting than digital in everyway. also, many more obscure releases on vinyl [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 12-06-2009 09:33 PM #29
      haha yeah man, many a sunday of my youth was spent trawling my secret haunts for that elusive b-side [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      kids are missin out these days, dead set. haha

Modified by Mr. Stubby at 6:35 PM 12-6-2009

7. 12-06-2009 09:47 PM #30
      werd! and the worst perpetraitors are the wannabe laptop dj's with their mactunes and terminal scratch serato haha fake ass clones!

8. 12-06-2009 10:03 PM #31
      miss those days, wagging school and heading into disco city, then trudging down to ashwoods etc.

9. 12-06-2009 10:06 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by The Samaritan »
      where did you source your itransport from? an alternative i'm looking into is the nd-s1.

I bought it in the UK. Given Sterling is so crap, there are some bargains to be found there. Haven't heard of the nd-s1??

10. 12-06-2009 10:25 PM #33
      i've noticed the itransport readily available from a few uk vendors. the nd-s1 is the same deal by onkyo but at almost half the price and apparently is as good.

11. 12-06-2009 11:11 PM #34
      rozelle markets on sunday. found a mint 12" copy of Collette's "ring my bell".
      noice!!!
      (no, seriously, i did buy it. along with a mint copy of joe satriani "surfing with the alien" (bought for my friend Will. we split the cost. all $10 of it)

Modified by Osqar at 4:13 AM 12-7-2009

12. 12-06-2009 11:14 PM #35
      maybe we can regroup here and start again.
      high end audio & theatre thread.

Modified by Jim Bookie at 8:40 PM 12-4-2009

heat:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48BSKPKYLdI

Vehicles
      R Wolfsburg Estate
      12-06-2009 11:41 PM #36
      Amp recommendation? 2ch is fine, would like to have the option of driving a sub if required as well. Was thinking Cambridge 740 or 840. Want to spend $1500 or so. Will drive some bookshelf speakers.
      What were the speakers recommended to me a while ago?

Modified by monkeysrus at 2:56 PM 12-7-2009

14. 12-07-2009 07:20 AM #37
      Quote, originally posted by vwlatino »
      miss those days, wagging school and heading into disco city, then trudging down to ashwoods etc.

And then to Brashes to **** around with the drum machines on the 2nd floor. Anthem Records had some dope isht too.
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

15. 12-07-2009 07:28 AM #38
      haha do you guys remember when bootlegs were like legal in australia thru some technicality like in the early 90's... apart from all those 2 dollars shops sellign terrible audience recordings, red eye used to have all the jewels.. i was so sad to see them go i couldn't afford them all before it was too late haha
      but now red eyes f*ckin had it in massive ways.. when they moved from being undergound it was at an end

16. 12-07-2009 07:38 AM #39
      douglas hi fi, george st
      that tiny record shop at hurstville station,
      disco city, pitt st
      central station records, pitt st
      reachin records, crown st
      redeye,...fark, what was that hip hop store 1 level above hungry jacks on liverpool st, run by blaze and armando???????got a brain lapse, can't remember

17. 12-07-2009 07:57 AM #40
      brain back; next level records! Faark they used to have open mic sessions in the early nineties, that's when sleek the elite, and the sleeping monk were around.

the kids today ain't got jack schit - those were heady days back then! between '88 and '98, sydney was absolutely slammin'!
      where has it all gone????

18. 12-07-2009 07:57 AM #41
      what was that hip hop store 1 level above hungry jacks on liverpool st, run by blaze and armando???????got a brain lapse, can't remember

haha dont remember the name of it, but i was deep in the scene at the time, knew a guy that worked there, he didnt like me so i couldnt shop there haha
      oh and the old bloke that worked in waterfront records was the best, he never lead me astray with suggestions, i got into funkadelic, parliament and sly and the family stone and too many others cause of him.

Modified by Mr. Stubby at 4:59 AM 12-7-2009

19. 12-07-2009 08:11 AM #42
      Next Level Records.
      Blaze and Dr Phibes.
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      China's birthrate currently sits at 12/1000 = 18,000,000 this year, so your Rolex values are safe for now.

20. 12-07-2009 08:12 AM #43
      fark, waterfront? was he the skinny, older, tall bloke in the shop on bayswater rd in the cross??? his name was john, used to go to all the parties.
      i remember using the record listening booths at central station recs, in pitt st for hrs at a time, running out to top up the parking meter, then running back!
      when shipments arrived, every kaarnt was there in a mass mosh for the vinyl - it was madness haha

21. 12-07-2009 08:43 AM #44
      fark, waterfront? was he the skinny, older, tall bloke in the shop on bayswater rd in the cross???

it wasnt in the cross when i went, it was on kent or clarrence st i dont recall down past the QVB, back then i didnt know street names, i just knew the circuit i walked every time i was looking for records and comics haha... I do recall him selling out at some share of his business to hot media interests when the internet bubble first started and people were throwing money at everyone to make internet internets and the original store moving or having multiple locations or some such
      speakin of comics...hows about the land beyond beyond .. whos with me.. haha

oh and i always thought central station was a massive douche fest, but i'd never heard the word douche back then.. a pity. haha

Modified by Mr. Stubby at 5:58 AM 12-7-2009

22. 12-07-2009 04:47 PM #45
      not sure if it's the same bloke?
      central station was good when it was in pitt st, then it faarked up when it went mainstream in oxford st.
      the same happened when disco city moved from pitt st to crown st, and reachin when it moved from crown st to oxford st, and next level when it moved from liverpool st to haymarket.
      never got into the world of comics though, maybe look up mf doom; dope hip hop mixed with comics samples, could be right up your alley...haha [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 12-07-2009 05:48 PM #46
      reachin records, crown st

I loved Reachin!
      Phil Smart was dead cool. he could mix anything too! I think he moved up to the central coast or byron about 2002-ish, however while he owned Reachin and had Mark Murphy managing it, that shop was awesome. I walked in there one day in about 98-ish, and there was Mark, this big tall thin messy punk squat party gay dude, and he grins and I ask if he's got any Punishment farm mixes and he just chuckles and walked out the back and returned with a milk crate. It was full of goodness, and i then ask, got anything harder, and he grins again and say's, "oh, you want some fisting music!". he then comes back with a whole heap of early liberator mixes. two full crates or rare as hell, dirty, filthy, Sth london acid techno produced from 1994-2001. awesome stuff! I've still got most of it. Only prob is, I don't have the system to play it anymore,... it simply over drives most stuff. I used that shop for years until Phil sold it, and Mark opened his own store. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      PS; it was only a matter of time before this thrad turned to music nerdism! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      12-07-2009 06:11 PM #47
      timmeh, have you sampled anything tasty at the adlephi lately?

I'm in Sydney at present, so no, I haven't. I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything until Jan as I'm not in Singapore much this month
      Quote, originally posted by Osqar »
      rozelle markets on sunday. found a mint 12" copy of Collette's "ring my bell".
      noice!!!
      (no, seriously, i did buy it. along with a mint copy of joe satriani "surfing with the alien" (bought for my friend Will. we split the cost. all $10 of it)

North Rocks Computer Market on Sunday - I bought
      Joyride - Roxette (Cassingle) $1
      Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice (Cassingle) $1
      Some horrid Bonny Tyler Album on Cassette for $2
      I took them to the eccentric old man who was selling all sorts of old junk (you know the type) and he looks at what I've handed him and says to me "aaahhh - a collector of fine things, I see"
      THEN, the crazy old bugger tried to upsell me on a Jingle Bells cassette by Rainbow Records, circa 1984, for another $1! Very cheeky.
      (I bought the tapes for our traditional xmas eve "see how many rubbish presents you can buy for under $3 to put in the lucky dip bag for everyone to take presents out of one at a time" and my travelsl around the world this year have seen me collect some real gems for this years event haha).

25. 12-07-2009 06:27 PM #48
      You Sydney guys were spoiled for choice. In Brisbane, though the numbers were smaller Skinny's and Rockinghorse were the local music geek meccas and were aweome. Not sure what either is like these days though.

Modified by skc at 9:34 AM 12-8-2009

26. 12-07-2009 07:24 PM #49
      reachin was owned by sugar ray, don't know if phil went partner later on? haha he went up to byron and did some club up there, think he is back now. they used to do sabotage parties, i dj'ed at a party called ambush on the same nite, and they got cut-up, it was all good though, haha

27. 12-07-2009 11:05 PM #50
      reachin was owned by sugar ray, don't know if phil went partner later on? haha he went up to byron and did some club up there, think he is back now. they used to do sabotage parties, i dj'ed at a party called ambush on the same nite, and they got cut-up, it was all good though, haha

Phil-v-sugar ray? yeah, you right. me wrong. ta! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Am sure we've talked bout this before,.. i have a sabortage tee somewhere... plus got tonnes of fotos. exceptionally well run parties when held at the metro!

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast