VWVortex.com - Chevy Chevette Hottness!!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Chevette Hottness!!

1. 12-18-2009 11:21 PM #51
      How about a Brazilian Chevette

Was the U.S. Chevette based on the Opel Kadett? The Brazilian version is, so is it Euro-tyte?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      12-19-2009 01:42 AM #52
      Thanks guys.
      Just hope that if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck with a car this awful that you at least have some decent stories to tell about it once you're back on your feet.

Vehicles
      2012 370Z 2004 Aviator
      12-19-2009 02:15 AM #53
      Cool stories bros -
      no, seriously, some of the most entertaining crap I've read on here in a long time. thank you.

5. Banned
      Vehicles
      '83 GTI, 84 jetta TD
      12-19-2009 11:13 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by XxCoryDxX »
      Cool stories bros -
      no, seriously, some of the most entertaining crap I've read on here in a long time. thank you.

ditto. I haven't had so much fun with reading a thread. Of all the cars, who would have thought the lowly Chevette would have the more drama per mile!
      Or actually, wait, I guess it makes perfect sense.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 camry
      12-19-2009 11:23 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by justanotherusername »
      Thanks guys.
      Just hope that if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck with a car this awful that you at least have some decent stories to tell about it once you're back on your feet.

You are really a great storyteller. That car of yours gave more wackiness per mile than i thought was possible in 4 wheels!
      Thanks for great writing.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

Vehicles
      2000 Saab 9-5 SE Wagon
      12-19-2009 12:03 PM #56

At the Carcraft show in St. Paul this summer. Thing was sick.
      Weren't these POS's made by Daewoo? And were they actually RWD? My mom had one when I was young. My dad was a bastard... first, he gets her a Pacer, then this, then a Cavalier (1990, back when they still sucked). She shoulda divorced him after he got the Chevette for her
      All I remember was her complaining how friggin slow it was up a hill near our house. If us kids were in the car with her, she had to shut off the air conditioning or the damn pile of crap wouldn't make it up the hill
      Voodoo.T

2000 Saab 9-5 SE Wagon

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      12-19-2009 12:42 PM #57
      Quote, originally posted by Voodoo.T »
      All I remember was her complaining how friggin slow it was up a hill near our house. If us kids were in the car with her, she had to shut off the air conditioning or the damn pile of crap wouldn't make it up the hill

Air condition.... well aren't we overprivileged!
      Imma let you finish, but Swallow Doretti had one of the biggest piles of all time!
      It was spelled S-C-O-O-T-E-R, as in what the dog does across the carpet when his anal sac is inflamed. And let me state here for all to read: impacted anal sacs are far more desirable than a Chevette Scooter.
      I'll let Swallow describe the excrescence known as the Scooter, because it was his private hell, not mine. My Chevette didn't have A/C either, but it was saddled with an automatic that sucked whatever life that agricultural engine had in it. Frankly, I've seen ditch pumps that were more willing and had a better exhaust note. My Chevette did not accelerate, it sulked. Its performance was best described as reluctantly sullen. It was like asking a 17 year old emo to join in family caroling around the fire only without the fun and a lot more eye rolling.
      As for comfort, well, put it this way: I once slept in a goodwill box rather than my Chevette. Comfort wasn't even the reason; I simply stood more risk of getting a nasty infection or head lice from that damn car. I swear they sprayed the car with ptomaine and tetanus before it left the factory.
      Air conditioning... talk about big pimping and not even knowing. If only I had it so good.
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

Vehicles
      12-19-2009 12:49 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by Porridgehead »
      Air conditioning... talk about big pimping and not even knowing. If only I had it so good.

It wasn't all that. You practically had to pull over to use it because it robbed what little poiwer the POS had to begin with.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-19-2009 01:10 PM #59
      Whenever anyone starts complaining about how bad things are with cars today, just flash that cover of CandD at them as a reminder of just how AWFUL things could be. The 1970s and cars....ugh.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      06 Stage 2 GTI, '93 Subaru SVX, '06 Honda Civic Coupe
      12-19-2009 01:15 PM #60
      Quote, originally posted by g-man_ae »
      Call me crazy, but that's a very effective ad to me. The "cutaway" view showing the family + luggage is just what 'mericuns need to see to stop thinking "bigger is better."

It's just lucky for that family they have 3 pcs of luggage that get progressively taller to fit in the hatch!

Vehicles
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf
      12-19-2009 01:17 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by Porridgehead »
      Imma let you finish, but Swallow Doretti had one of the biggest piles of all time!

No kidding. One of, what, maybe four that left Lordstown with a compressor and a condenser?
      Of the couple of T cars I had, my T1000 was stolen, used in an attempted robbery, shot full of holes, and then dumped in the East River. That experience was well worth the $50 purchase price.

Vehicles
      12-19-2009 01:22 PM #62
      Quote, originally posted by PJA »
      Of the couple of T cars I had, my T1000 was stolen, used in an attempted robbery, shot full of holes, and then dumped in the East River. That experience was well worth the $50 purchase price.

That's a fitting end for it, but who the hell steals one of these things with "getaway car" in mind?!

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      12-19-2009 01:35 PM #63
      Incredibly desperate losers who are striving to board the fail boat because it's a giant step up.
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

15. Swallow Doretti
      12-19-2009 01:38 PM #64
      I once managed to actually get my Scooter up to an indicated 84 MPH in the left lane of the Capitol Beltway outside DC. This was accomplished with a lot of patience, and a firm foot that had planted the go pedal so far down, it was pushing its way through the rusty floorboads.
      Ah, I remember that muggy, August day oh so well, with the two front windows down, the AM radio turned up on a Hispanic mariachi station, and me singing along.
      If only I actually spoke a word of Spanish.

Vehicles
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      12-19-2009 01:46 PM #65
      Quote, originally posted by PJA »
      No kidding. One of, what, maybe four that left Lordstown with a compressor and a condenser?

Lordstown didn't build Chevettes.
      Monzas, Sunbirds, Starfires and Skyhawks in the 70s, then on to Cavaliers and J-2000s

Modified by onebadbug at 12:50 PM 12-19-2009
      Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

What you get isn't always what you see.

Vehicles
      Porsche,TVR,Alfa,Triumph,LandRover
      12-19-2009 01:50 PM #66
      Theres a guy that drives by the shop in a super clean chevette. And a few weeks ago a guy stopped by to ask for directions to baltimore driving a rusted out chevette. Thats all I got
      Eurotech Motorsports Frederick Marylands premier european automotive service center
      580 East Church St,Frederick,MD,21701 in historic downtown frederick 301.371.0700
      Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...98669906844918
      Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/etmracing/

Vehicles
      1993 Suzuki Cappuccino, 2011 Nissan Leaf
      12-19-2009 02:40 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by onebadbug »
      Lordstown didn't build Chevettes.
      Monzas, Sunbirds, Starfires and Skyhawks in the 70s, then on to Cavaliers and J-2000s

Sorry, mixed up my ****ty 70's GM sub-compact factories. Then Lakewood or Doraville or whatever.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      12-19-2009 02:50 PM #68
      Dump a bunch of horsepower in a POS car and look out!
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

Vehicles
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      12-19-2009 02:51 PM #69
      Consumers Guide's Encyclopedia of American Cars "1930 to Today(2006)"- an 800+ page book with cars as obscure as the 1946 Roadable (production: 1 unit) devotes two whole paragraphs to the Chevette.
      It tells about the Opel Kadett origins, the length being 17 inches shorter than the Vega and weight being under 2000 lbs. It also mentions the engine options and that its mission was economy on which it delivered @ 35 mpg on the highway.
      It also states that the Chevette was "exactly right for its time and quite competitive in the increasingly hard fought subcompact market".
      Judging by the production numbers I can't argue. Look at 1980 and 1981, even with the price jumping 30%+ and 50%+ since 1976, they still sold more than twice as many cars.
      1976:
      187,817 starting @ $2900
      1977:
      133,469 starting @ $3000
      1978:
      298,973 starting @ $3150
      1979:
      369,109 starting @ $3450
      1980:
      451,161 starting @ $4050
      1981:
      433,600 starting @ $4700
      (includes 13,150 Diesels)
      1982:
      232,808 starting @ $5000
      (includes 16,693 Diesels)
      1983:
      169,565 starting @ $5000
      (includes 1,940 Diesels)
      1984:
      243,900 starting @ $5000
      (includes 7059 Diesels)
      1985:
      123,499 starting @ $5340
      (includes 665 Diesels)
      1986:
      103,244 starting @ $5645
      (includes 324 Diesels)
      1987:
      46,208 starting @ $5000
      (includes zero Diesels)
      Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

What you get isn't always what you see.

Vehicles
      1989 Dodge Ram 50 w/ 4G63 Turbo
      12-19-2009 04:34 PM #70
      Porridgehead > I was never fortunate enough to own such an exquisite piece of machinery like the Chevette. However, I can truly relate to your extraordinarily heart felt hatred toward Chevettes, because I too owned a car that murdered a small part of my soul each time I got in.
      A devine example of Dodge quality was what it was, otherwise known as a '94 Intrepid. If it were a beer it would have found itself in the filthy nook between Schlitz and Busch. It left me for dead in a snowstorm more than once, and was the only car that I ever sucker punched. Each day that it started (rare), I would ever-so-gently shift it into reverse with my fingers crossed, hoping that it wouldn't kick me right in the Jack Johnson. It always did though, leaving me shaking my fists violently at the heavens. Then when I least expect it, "Bang!", into reverse it went while my unguarded teeth found themselves in an intimate relationship with the steering wheel. Ugh. I hated that nugget of a car.
      To the rest, keep the Chevette tales coming, it is quite enjoyable to see that I am not the first person to consider taking a scythe to a car before.
      Your friend,
      -Jeremy
      Jeremy N.
      1989 Dodge Ram 50: 4G63 Turbo Swap / EVO 8 16G / Viper brakes / etc.
      1964 Chevy Impala Convertible: Lifelong project
      2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
      My Car Blog.

22. 12-19-2009 04:57 PM #71
      Notice how the numbers start to drop again in the early 80's as people started to realized how bad the cars were. The Auto with A/C version didn't help its cause either. What I love most is a late 80's 305 Camaro or Monte Carlo SS with O/D got better gas mileage.
      Mine was a '79 stick with manual steering. Thankfully it had a good rack and joints. I actually have to say I liked its road feel - feedback.
      I once got a speeding ticket in a rural North Dakota town, but the lady officer didn't pull me over until I was on the highway out of town. She was VERY upset, claimed I was doing 90+ on the highway, and that she should write me up for that too. I said "Please do." Unfortunately she didn't. I so wanted to go to court, claim she was nuts, and say "Your honor, here are the keys. If you or anyone get this car up to 90, I'll pay the ticket. Otherwise please throw it out."

Vehicles
      B3 VR6
      12-19-2009 06:25 PM #72
      my first experience with a chevette:
      i was six years old at the time. my mother was a bank manager, and as such, didn't always make it to get us off the bus, especially with her second job starting at 5pm.
      sometimes she would send her newest teller (i think joey was HER name) to pick up my sister and i. well, joey had bought a brand new 1987 chevette straight out of high school. however, she didn't see the need for a back seat, because then she wouldn't have had room for her house speakers and alpine 200w amp. yes, there were HOUSE speakers in the back.
      my sister and i would always fight over who got to sit in the seat. well, i FINALLY got to sit in the seat one day, and i was sorely disappointed, even for a 6-year old. aside from the sound system (there was a tape deck in the dash), it was largely uninspiring and i much rather preffered my mom's 83 gti.
      it was slow, could barely get up hills, but it felt like you were doing 200mph at 65mph. we lived on a windy road, and well, i got to feel a chevette at speed. i have never been that scared in a car ever.
      i'm pretty sure the chevette's outside rear tire would leave the ground every time a hard corner was taken, so it wasn't a surprise that one day joey wrecked the chevette about two years later.
      i think she "upgraded" to a 1992 geo storm gsi.
      /story.
      even at 6, i knew they were junk, but i would LOVE a diesel one now.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      First I would bag her. Then I would roll her fenders, then poke her, then stretch her. By the time I was done she would be stanced.

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      12-19-2009 06:36 PM #73
      Wait, so the two door is actually shorter then the 4? And the rear windows did NOT roll down, ever? And the backseat of a 5 door was optional?
      Damn. I thought those were mostly jokes...
      A2Resource

25. 12-19-2009 09:57 PM #74
      Quote, originally posted by justanotherusername »
      It wasn't all that. You practically had to pull over to use it because it robbed what little poiwer the POS had to begin with.

Or, you could use the a/c as a jake brake when decending down hills.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      UZJ100R, Prius, TU250x
      12-19-2009 11:33 PM #75
      My parents had not one, but TWO of the wretched piles at the SAME TIME!!!
      One was silver (more like matte grey) with a red leatherette interior. Not the stripped scooter, something just ever so slightly above it.
      But the other one. Oooooh the other one.
      It was some kind of "luxury" edition. Never seen another one ever. Main features were:
      two-tone paint job, dark blue bottom and white top (or vice-versa?)
      "Chevette" engraved on the door handles
      Blue velours interior
      Both were automatic. Mom wrecked the luxurious model and balked and bitched when insurance offered $100. She challenged them to find another Chevette for $100. They did. It was a scooter. As you might have guessed, my mother would have none of that. Her Chevette was the luxo-version, not that lowly plebeian scooter goddammit!
      I think they settled for $250...
      Anybody else ever seen those higher trims? Or was it a figment of my young fertile imagination?
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      --whether you use spit or lube, throw a little sand in there and nobody has a good time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast