VWVortex.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 348 of 348 FirstFirst ... 248298338344345346347348
    Results 8,676 to 8,699 of 8699

Thread: So, did you ride today? (Details!)

Vehicles
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      06-25-2020 05:11 PM #8676
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post

The Crockett is fast, it feels fast, and it's lively without beating you up. That said, and for all their similarities, my Boone is—by the numbers—a noticeably faster bike, whether on the CX course, gravel or road. But it *does not* feel like it. Not that it's the bike or that Strava is an end-all-be-all, but it (and race laps) can be a decent indicator, and there have been myriad times this year where I have absolutely steamrolled PRs on long segments I've been riding for 3-4-5 years while feeling like "eh, that ride just didn't seem that fast", and summarily being pretty surprised when I look at the data.

It's not that it isn't lively, agile or twitchy, it's just got an interesting effortlessness to it that's probably a combination of the dampening of carbon and Isospeed that results in the ability to really lay down some power and speed without the drama, and without as much engagement. It's like driving an M5 Comp on the track after an M3
      So you're saying that I should have bought the Boone? I'm still getting used to the handling on gravel. It's likely due to the tires, but it dances around a lot more than my old bike. Also, I think that in order for the Crockett to really act as my road bike, it needs to be 2x. I don't want to go any taller than a 46t 1x for gravel and/or screwing around on singletrack, and the 46x11 isn't enough on road or even some gravel. As much as I've tried, I'm not a spinner. I think a "custom" off the shelf parts 50/39 would be ideal. The drop to the standard 36 is too much for me. Maybe I'll do that, and then bitch about how annoying front derailleurs are.

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      In the days before hydroformed aluminum tubes, the seat post diameter was determined by the seat tube size and wall thickness. So basically the seatpost diameter=tube ID. If you go back even further to the 70s and 80s, you’ll see that only high end bicycles have 27.2 seat posts, the less high end but still decent bikes were 27.0 or 26.8 and the cheap stuff is 25.4. The ODs were more or less all the same, but the wall thickness was varied according to the tubing quality.
      Or they used a step-down insert. My Lynskey has an aluminum insert bonded into the seat tube to reduce it from 30.9 to 27.2. But stiff = fast, so I guess I get it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      06-25-2020 05:31 PM #8677
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      I think a "custom" off the shelf parts 50/39 would be ideal.
      Sounds like you need a 9-46t cassette!

https://www.jensonusa.com/e13-TRS-11...Cassette-9-46T

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Or they used a step-down insert. My Lynskey has an aluminum insert bonded into the seat tube to reduce it from 30.9 to 27.2. But stiff = fast, so I guess I get it.
      Step down inserts add weight, going without is a double win. More stiffer and less poundage.

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 05:56 PM #8678
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Sounds like you need a 9-46t cassette!

https://www.jensonusa.com/e13-TRS-11...Cassette-9-46T

Step down inserts add weight, going without is a double win. More stiffer and less poundage.
      Nah, I'll go 53t chainring + a 10-52. Probably overkill for the low end on a gravel bike, but hey, I can have a stupid looking cassette!

To be fair, the S-works frame was super light. Also super stiff, which made it super slow. Super. I sold it the frame for the equivalent of a GRX 810 crank. Win?

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      06-28-2020 10:06 AM #8679
      Ride cut short yesterday. Paver on a climb cut my tire early into lap one. Too big to seal so plugged with bacon strip which held until early into lap two when it was ripped out on a rocky switchback climb. Called it quits after that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      06-28-2020 01:26 PM #8680
      That reminds me that I need to check the sidewall of my front tire. Every time I see a trail access barricade/pylon unlocked and folded down, I try to nose bonk it. Unfortunately today, I popped up and over and directly onto the sidewall and it didn't sound nice.

I also nailed my front wheel HARD crossing the railroad tracks by my house that I've ridden over a zillion times with nary an issue.

Weird ride for sure today. 30 pretty easy gravel miles, 85 degrees, 85% humidity. I would have been drier had I been sprayed with a hose.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      06-29-2020 12:15 AM #8681
      Escaped my quarantined life and spent the last 3 weeks in Maine. Trail network in Gorham Maine (15min outside of Portland) is so amazing. All built on private land, there's always new stuff being cut. Close to 40 miles of singletrack surrounds the small college town.

Ever ridden a trail for the first time and it just clicks? Might be only the second time, first time was at Kingdom Trails (Tap N Die).

You feel you know ever turn already, have the right gear, the perfect flow. Felt this way on this trail (MBWEEE), hammering at speed and loving every 3 minutes of it.
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Vehicles
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      07-01-2020 12:30 PM #8682
      Nice man that trail looks super fun!

also how the hell do you embed youtube videos? I've tried and failed numerous times
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 12:57 PM #8683
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      Nice man that trail looks super fun!

also how the hell do you embed youtube videos? I've tried and failed numerous times
      Use button in the thread reply for Video. Make sure the address is the full YouTube link, not the web or sharable version. Also make sure there's no timestart "~t05" in the link.
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-01-2020 02:19 PM #8684
      Went for a little lunch cruise today to get some blood in the legs after a couple runs this week, and...something is definitely not right with my Boone after smacking those railroad tracks this past weekend. I reassembled the front IsoSpeed setup, checked the fork and bearings, loosened and retorqued all bar, stem and saddle bolts, and I am still getting a pretty noticeable but not repeatable creak if I hit a sizable undulation or pump down a hill

Next up is checking the front wheel..and the rear IsoSpeed. I'm pretty sure it's the rear IsoSpeed
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 02:36 PM #8685
      Went for a little lunch cruise today to get some blood in the legs after a couple runs this week, and...something is definitely not right with my Boone after smacking those railroad tracks this past weekend. I reassembled the front IsoSpeed setup, checked the fork and bearings, loosened and retorqued all bar, stem and saddle bolts, and I am still getting a pretty noticeable but not repeatable creak if I hit a sizable undulation or pump down a hill

Next up is checking the front wheel..and the rear IsoSpeed. I'm pretty sure it's the rear IsoSpeed
      Your Trek is creaking?! You don't say... Are you sure the stem top cap has enough room to fully compress everything? Back when I had my Jake the Snake, I had a similar random creak on big impacts. Turns out that there was a hair's width too much steerer to get it to compress all the way. Not noticeable when doing the rock test in the garage, but a big hit would result in a scary *pop*. Or it could be some isospeed weirdness. On mine, it seems that the seat post/seat tube needs a lubing every 2-3 rides to not creak. Quality!

I also rode my Trek (the Crockett) over lunch today. I can't really put my finger on it, but there's something that I don't like about the bike. It feels sort of dead, seems to be objectively slower than my drop bar 29er somehow. The latter is probably all down to tires. It is very comfy though, and does a great job muting out small annoying gravel chatter. Maybe I need to screw with tire pressure to get more feel, but they already lack grip on loose stuff. I dunno.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-01-2020 02:57 PM #8686
      Yup. I rock a thick spacer on top the stem (and higher bars) to take advantage of some steerer tube flex, and everything is good there.

This is a problem of my own doing (sprinting across the tracks), so I will just continue to track it down and bask in my own frustration. That said, I'm deleting these posts if I find a cracked frame

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 03:21 PM #8687
      Yup. I rock a thick spacer on top the stem (and higher bars) to take advantage of some steerer tube flex, and everything is good there.

This is a problem of my own doing (sprinting across the tracks), so I will just continue to track it down and bask in my own frustration. That said, I'm deleting these posts if I find a cracked frame
      Huh. But still, it's weird that hitting a bump, even a hard one like train tracks, would cause any sort of issue. Hopefully it's not broken, but if it is, Trek seems pretty solid when it comes to warranty issues. That's how I got my first Crockett with an undersized BB (they replaced my cracked-at-the-chainstay/BB LeMond Poprad). They also re-bonded the carbon/aluminum joint on the drive side chainstay at the BB my old 8700... and they replaced some rear suspension hardware that fell out of my Top Fuel. At least that one wasn't related to the BB. Man, I just realized that I have bad luck with Trek bottom brackets.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-02-2020 12:36 PM #8688
      The verdict is threefold: seat rail clamp, chainring bolt, and the wild card, the rear IsoSpeed bolt. It was maybe hand tight instead of the spec'd 8 nm

I gotta stop riding so hard at 210+ pounds
      Last edited by HotCarlWeathers; 07-02-2020 at 02:10 PM.

15. 07-04-2020 10:04 AM #8689
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Is that a Jones bar with the orange wrap? Looks slightly different than the h bar I've been eyeballing.
      Meant to respond to this earlier - yes it's the Jones H Bar (Aluminum). It's kind of ugly, but I really like it and they are comfy!

Did a fun urban MTB route from Great Falls National Park to Occoquan, VA yesterday morning. Wife dropped me off at 6am, starting getting hot at the end! The Gerry Connolly Cross County Trail:

Gerry Connolly Cross County Trail by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Summer 2020 by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-04-2020 01:33 PM #8690
      A local guy from SRAM that I follow on Strava just posted some pictures of that exact ride last week. Looks awesome

Did a nice 35 miles down the Chicago lakefront, over the lack of hills and through the hoods to Indiana and back yesterday with some new folks, and had a great time. I also left the gravel tires on for extra pavement fun

Unfortunately, I think I lost my brand new Garmin Varia radar/light either somewhere along the way or when I was packing up the car

Meaning I get to take a nice detour into the city later on today to see if it's laying in the street.

Vehicles
      07-04-2020 02:43 PM #8691
      Quote Originally Posted by geoffp View Post
      Meant to respond to this earlier - yes it's the Jones H Bar (Aluminum). It's kind of ugly, but I really like it and they are comfy!

Did a fun urban MTB route from Great Falls National Park to Occoquan, VA yesterday morning. Wife dropped me off at 6am, starting getting hot at the end! The Gerry Connolly Cross County Trail:

That looks quite nice.

Unfortunately, I think I lost my brand new Garmin Varia radar/light either somewhere along the way or when I was packing up the car
      That sucks. Did the rubber band let go?

I got tired of seeing my R230 sitting on the trainer, so I reinstalled a worn set of 28mm S-Works Turbos and took it back outside. I took in on my usual gravel loop, partly to remind myself why I bought the Crockett and partly to remind myself that I didn't really need to Crockett. Ha. Turns out that it is indeed as good as I remember. Outside of ultimate cornering grip, the (slick) tubeless 28s don't give a whole lot up to the mini-knob 38s on the Crockett, 2x is better than 1x, the Red rim brakes feel better than the 105 hydros and weren't noticeably less powerful, and it was a rare case of feeling faster = being faster. It was a lot more fun than I expected. I was hoping this would make me want to finally sell this bike, but all it did was make me want to sell the Crockett that I just bought. ...and then buy a Lynskey R300 frameset. And then not sell the R230 again.

Oh, I'm doing the free trial of paid Strava (don't see a reason to pay, really), and what is "fitness" supposed to tell you? I'm down 65% over the year, apparently. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Vehicles
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      07-05-2020 10:12 AM #8692
      Had a good day out at my local mountain yesterday. They're limited day passes to keep crowds down and it's been awesome. Lift lines are small and the trails aren't nearly as crowded. Managed quite a few runs before the afternoon storms shut it down. Snapped a few photos...well my gopro attached to a tree got some photos

Cut my head off this one. It's a big drop, you can see the kid standing there for scale.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

Vehicles
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      07-05-2020 11:18 PM #8693
      Got another fun ride in with the doggo and the lady today. Trail is West Magnolia up by Nederland, CO. Fun mellow spot with tons of connecting trails.

1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      07-06-2020 01:58 PM #8694
      Decent 29 mile more technical than usual single track ride on Saturday. This is my second time going to this park in two weeks...before that it's been at least a year. Despite my lack of technical riding my segment times on some of the more technical stuff have gone down from when I was at my peak riding there frequently training for a 6 he race. Felt a little tired but I think that is mostly due to this cold my kid brought home. Felt really good overall...seems my new plan for sorta training is working out nicely. They have a 30 or 60 mile race there this Saturday that I was thinking about doing but the entry fee is $50. I'm too cheap for that.

Signature.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-06-2020 02:21 PM #8695
      Finally getting accustomed to the heat: Had my biggest week of the season after going a weekend of some nice medium length rides on consecutive days (35/30/25) and felt absolutely stellar compared to a couple weeks ago. Getting into the zone where I can hit some long, fast rides while keeping my heart rate in Z2/3 and not burning many matches is making for some enjoyable training.

That said, I explored a kind of off-the-wall route yesterday, and thanks to some iffy planning and hitting an early cutoff because of heat, I wound up having to ride a solid mile on the 3 foot wide center strip of a US Route 45 because there was no shoulder and I wanted to connect into the southern portion of my loop without backtracking five miles. It was slightly interesting and definitely a little nerve-racking. Not doing that again

22. 07-06-2020 09:20 PM #8696
      Hit some nice gravel last night:

Summer gravel ride by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Vehicles
      07-06-2020 11:01 PM #8697
      Last ride in Maine before heading home. Spent almost a month there and just felt great to have normalcy when it came to COVID.
      Hit the trails at 7am and it was hero dirt (and sand). Felt good to open things up a bit on the skinny Fatty (with 29x2.6 wheels), definitely a fun hardtail. Surprised I hit a bunch of PRs versus my XC/Trail bike, thinking its traction of the tires making the difference.

Decided to record my ride today and document the trails for my buddies that want to ride here in September.
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

24. Today 07:03 AM #8698
      Rode the gravel bike out in Prince William Forest yesterday afternoon, really like that place!

Prince William Forest exploring by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      Today 02:32 PM #8699
      Usual Wednesday night socially responsible shenanigans on the ss 29. Loving these new 29x2.6 Mezcal tires compared to the 3.0 Bombolonis they replaced.

30 miles and even snagged a #10 spot on an extra rooty fairly long (1.3mile) single track trail...20ish secs off KOM and I wasn't pushing too hard. My half assed training seems to be doing something.

Signature.

Page 348 of 348 FirstFirst ... 248298338344345346347348