VWVortex.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 340 of 340 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340
    Results 8,476 to 8,493 of 8493

Thread: So, did you ride today? (Details!)

05-27-2019 07:56 PM #8476
      Start em' young

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-28-2019 08:25 AM #8477
      Rode the Sebago to Sea Trail on my singles speed with my lady the other day. Fun adventure!

Sebago to Sea Trail by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Sebago to Sea by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4dr DSG, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      05-28-2019 02:50 PM #8478
      Quote Originally Posted by geoffp View Post
      Rode the Sebago to Sea Trail on my singles speed with my lady the other day. Fun adventure!

Love it! Was going to do this ride with my wife this weekend but we decided to drive into Portland instead.

Is the whole route complete? I know there was a 3 mile section of railroad rock what was rideable on my MTB but not cross/gravel bike
      12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

5. 05-28-2019 10:41 PM #8479
      Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
      Love it! Was going to do this ride with my wife this weekend but we decided to drive into Portland instead.

Is the whole route complete? I know there was a 3 mile section of railroad rock what was rideable on my MTB but not cross/gravel bike
      That 3 mile stretch is still on the tracks, not awful but not fun. If you do it I highly recommend stopping for food at Orchard Ridge farm (literally right off the trail). Had a great buffalo chicken pizza there!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-30-2019 05:01 PM #8480
      Went up to the Catskills for Memorial Day weekend (live in Northern VA). Man, what an awesome place. Lots of big climbs, beautiful scenery, huge reservoir. I mapped out a few rides: it is certainly not flat out there. The cabin we stayed in was at the top of a 1.1ish mile climb that was around 15%. After climbing for the roughly the previous 5 miles. That was super fun.

I was slightly worried about the 'good ole boys' being out in the country like that. That was a total non-issue as I saw more cyclist than drivers on my rides. I didn't get any big rides in as we were hanging with our kids and some friends, but really enjoyed riding out there.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      06-02-2019 12:09 AM #8481
      Dropped off the soul sucking child transport vehicle at the tint shop today. Brought the bike with me to ride back home via roads and single track. Stupid hot at 10am and really felt it on the roads without shade. Don't get how the full time roadies do this on a regular basis. It's still scorching in the woods at times but at least it's shaded most of the time. Ended up just over 29 miles. Saw an otter family of four which was pretty cool. Pic below...hard to see since zooming. Also mandatory photo of large lizard in water...normal Florida crap.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Signature.

06-02-2019 10:57 PM #8482
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Don't get how the full time roadies do this on a regular basis.
      I don't understand either. When I do big rides in the hot months, it is either crack of dawn or at dusk. I have very strong headlights so no problem riding at night after work.

Meanwhile today we are at near record heat, and I saw a whole squad of Roadies out at 12:30pm on one of the hottest roads we have. Then we saw a ton of joggers as well.

It was torture to knock out the yardwork we had let alone do a endurance sport midday.

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      06-03-2019 10:37 AM #8483
      got my butt on the velodrome for the first time. Had a blast in the clinic with the local group and got licensed.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      06-06-2019 10:37 AM #8484
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Don't get how the full time roadies do this on a regular basis. It's still scorching in the woods at times but at least it's shaded most of the time.
      Yeah, shade is important. The downside is that shade usually means higher humidity, but I'll take that to roasting in an oven of direct sunlight.

On that note, I went on a few rides in CA last week. The first was one of my old regular routes when I lived there (Davis -> Winters)... in the middle of a cloudless, roasty sunny day. It drained me. I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to. I cheaped out and rented a Diverge ES that was not really geared or tired for road use for that one. Oops. The alternative was a Roubaix with Ultegra Di2, but it's not really a ride that requires shifting... still, it was an actual road bike.

After that, it was back to the mountains for a trailer-pulling ride around Squaw Vally on a Specialized Roll. Bikes like that are so comfortable. Slow, but I'm going to be slow towing a 40lb kid at 6k feet anyway.

Then it was time for a solo MTB ride. I initially had a Fuel EX 8 lined up, but decided to splurge a little on an Evil The Offering for a ride in the mountains and a bike park around South Lake Tahoe. I've missed climbing. Aside from the crappy worn out tires that the shop put on a brand-new bike and giving me the wrong size (for my $97/day!), it was a surprisingly good bike for going up. Fun on the downhills, too. I've never really seen the point of the 'dropper all the things' movement around here (mostly flat), but with long, steep, fast, jumpy descents, they certainly have a use. I was definitely going for bigger things than I would on my Top Fuel. I also sort of want a 120mm Pike now. Nice fork.

Vehicles
      91 318iS, 03 Forester
      06-06-2019 01:39 PM #8485
      Early morning ride out in Golden Colorado this morning. This trail is called Enchanted Forest and is one of the funnest stretches of trail I've ridden. The climb up can be a bit brutal but the descent is worth it. It rained a bit last night and the dirt was PERFECT this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      03 Forester

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      06-06-2019 02:13 PM #8486
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      Early morning ride out in Golden Colorado this morning. This trail is called Enchanted Forest and is one of the funnest stretches of trail I've ridden. The climb up can be a bit brutal but the descent is worth it. It rained a bit last night and the dirt was PERFECT this morning.
      Nice. I used to live near Apex and would ride it on an XC hardtail. It was a bit sketchy going down.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      06-07-2019 11:26 AM #8487
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I don't understand either. When I do big rides in the hot months, it is either crack of dawn or at dusk. I have very strong headlights so no problem riding at night after work.

Meanwhile today we are at near record heat, and I saw a whole squad of Roadies out at 12:30pm on one of the hottest roads we have. Then we saw a ton of joggers as well.

It was torture to knock out the yardwork we had let alone do a endurance sport midday.

Agreed with you on that. I melt in the high heat. Long rides in the summer around here, it's not uncommon to start before 6 am. We can get 50-60 miles in and be done by 9. It's super muggy and gross, but at least it's not 90+ degrees out. Yay for living in a swamp. Seeing people ride or run between noon and 3pm on those hot days: i just can't fathom it.

06-07-2019 07:16 PM #8488
      There really is something to be said to have banged out a huge workout before 10am. Feels like you can coast for the rest of the day.

Think I am gonna go for coffee tomorrow, at a shop about 15 miles from my house. Try to get there right when they open at 7am.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      06-08-2019 01:19 PM #8489
      Nice 20 mile single track ride today. We've finally been getting some rain and the trails were primo. Legs were crap though from rides this week. Think I'm doing too many threshold and over threshold PZ rides.

Signature.

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      06-12-2019 11:28 AM #8490
      Week 2 of track racing: felt a lot better but still got dropped. Need to do more sprints/intervals when on the road bike for sure. But jeebus the track is fun.

Vehicles
      91 318iS, 03 Forester
      06-12-2019 02:13 PM #8491
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Nice. I used to live near Apex and would ride it on an XC hardtail. It was a bit sketchy going down.
      You aren't kidding! Same trail took me out this morning. Got kicked off line by a rock on a techy section, smashed into a tree at a decent clip and went over the bars and face first into some rocks and dirt. Had my googles on and thankfully so, my face got a bit beat up but likely would have been wayyyyy worse without them on. My back and side are bruised to **** from the tree. Going to take a rest for a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      03 Forester

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      06-12-2019 04:03 PM #8492
      Track looks awesome!

Lots of fake biking for me this week due to weather. Going to start using the Peloton for Time Crunch Cyclist endurance training plan in mid July. Guess I'm going to just do free rides and time my own intervals since none of the PZ rides really match up in duration.

Signature.

19. Yesterday 02:35 PM #8493
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      Week 2 of track racing: felt a lot better but still got dropped. Need to do more sprints/intervals when on the road bike for sure. But jeebus the track is fun.
      I'm so jealous! I think if I lived near a track I'd be a track nut.

Good work.

I was a turd on the group ride last night. I used to be the Fred when I first joined the group who would try to go off the front or get ahead just to be caught, and maybe dropped until the group hit a stop at a light. I say I was a turd because I sought out to teach a noob to the group the same lesson I learned myself. Had a pretty strong girl show up (all are welcome in the A's). First week she went off the front 100 yards, several times, just to get caught and dropped a minute later. Also doing this by riding up the middle of the double line OR going over the center yellow road line. Yikes.

She did it again last night on Trenton Rd. I was 2nd wheel watching this. I chat with the two guys pulling and the guy who would pull with me about a little organized "lesson". I checked my ride after and when they swung off I put out over 500w for about 30 seconds then held over 300 from about SAS to the end of Reedy Creek. She got dropped like a millstone in the sea. I think we passed the person doing easily 10mph faster. Later in the ride they'd jump off the front when we'd leave from a stoplight, and we usually start slow as folks clip in and make sure we all make it through. Then we roll. Kind of odd. The "lesson" being related to the rules of the group, if you're going to go off the front........you better have already taken your turn working for the group on the front at least one solid pull, then you can go. We usually announce when we're going and ask who wants to come with us for some brief harder work. Don't come around the group in head on traffic having done nothing but suck wheel the first 5 miles.

To serve the group some later, after my fun, I decided to serve as sweep and held a few turns or roundabouts for the group to safely pass through then I'd chase back on. I always appreciate seeing folks do that task, so decided it was my turn to do so.

Again, maybe I was a turd too...........but man, this aggression will not stand!

FWIW, IDGAF if it was a girl or not. We've had P/1/2 ladies show up once to the out of town ride that are wicked fast but will take their pulls and then take their rips at the group.
      -------- [email protected]
      ----- _`\<,_
      ---- (*)/ (*)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 340 of 340 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340