VWVortex.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 342 of 343 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343 LastLast
    Results 8,526 to 8,550 of 8551

    Thread: So, did you ride today? (Details!)

    1. Member Samson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 1999
      Posts
      11,992
      Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      09-09-2019 01:03 PM #8526
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      Ran 40psi, dumb roadie! Way too high given I weigh 155 lbs. I bounced all over the place.
      Look for a decent set of used tubeless wheels and cram in the widest tires you can fit. It's a game changer. I think I have an EA90SL front wheel somewhere in the garage if you get the itch. But good job on the race.

      Quote Originally Posted by A1an
      Then my go to recovery beverage...whole thing is 900ish calories. Getting all science-like with my fueling.
      Ha. Nice. I don't have the mental endurance for a five hour ride. Impressive stuff.

      I've been doing my usual 1-1.5 hour rides... nothing too exciting. I've had horrible sleep the past few weeks though, and I feel it during the ride. Sucks.

      I replaced my wife's too-small and knee-hurty 52cm Madone trainer bike with my R230 and am going to try to get some better airflow (again) in my trainer cave, so maybe I'll start doing that more. It's certainly more efficient than going on a real ride during the work day. Maybe like the PO, I too can crack the chainstays.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member OttaCee's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2000
      Location
      Quincy, MA
      Posts
      1,242
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4dr DSG, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      09-11-2019 08:47 AM #8527
      Had my worse race today, yet still podiumed (definitely not a humblebrag).
      Same event ive been doing for 3 years in a row, always been a 25 mile loop around the park so I know what im getting myself into. But this year, they decide to add two new sections that are extremely technical but not reduce the mileage. The loop is now 27.5 miles which does change strategy for everyone.

      Start the race OK, we are last wave in our Cat so TONS of traffic and lose the race leader in the first singletrack as he physically just rode through the woods around people. I dont get a chance to open things up till mile 3-4 and I know the leader is long gone (4 minute gap). Paced awesome the first 12 miles (over 11.2 mph) then hit the first new section. Wow it just sucked the soul out of me (and others riding), everything just crawling to a halt. At this time, I started to feel real hungry even though I was eating (1 gel, 1 waffle) and drinking well. Get through the crap section, and felt amazing the next 3 miles. Finish a mellow flat section and come out to the blazing sun then it hit me like a ton of bricks....lost my vision a bit, feel nauseating, just could not tell my legs to move. BONKED big time. Pull over, eat whatever food I had left and just start crying. Mostly cause it was mile 16 with around 10 miles to go.

      Rest for 5 minutes, stretched my body out and started pedaling but felt like half speed. Start to feel a bit better then hit the second super slow tech section and half way through - BONKED again! This time thank goodness someone was right behind me to keep me from falling back down the hill. He gives me half a bar and I slowly move on. What was even more demoralizing was the tough part of the old course I still had to ride through. Surprisingly I make it through in one piece but very slow. With about 1.5 miles left, I see a friend and he tells me "I think your 3rd or 4th...go get it!" This motivates to finish strong.

      Sure enough, I place 3rd out of 9 riders. In talking to the others in my cat, they also struggled with the course changes and all came in 5-10mins after me. Very strange the first time my nutrition made me fail like this, really do not know what to do going forward since it was the same for all races. Like me bonking, my GoPro overheated around 2 hours into race and the footage looked awful. But captured the good/fun times during my race.

      12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

    4. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-11-2019 09:21 PM #8528
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      Alan that is freaking awesome dude! Nicely done. It's fun having fitness isn't it? I am jealous as mine this year is hot garbage. Seriously dude, that is good work. 5 hours in the heat is freaking hard. Enjoy all the donuts you can cram in your face. Don't forget to take some recovery time. First race is coming up soon right? You mind if I follow you on strava to watch?

      Thanks Moose! Hoping it's all worth it in the end...kind of feel it's straining the family life a little bit on the weekends which is part of the reason I'm not always doing my Sat and Sun rides. Once I complete this event on Oct I'm def going to re-evaluate weekend time. Maybe just one long 5+ hour ride a month or something. Stick with the usual 3-4 hour rides the rest of the weekends, plus the usual weekday stuff.

      No prob following on Strava. If you are part of the Vortex group there you should see me on the feed (Alan Anderson)

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2013
      Location
      LMBRD IL
      Posts
      298
      Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      09-13-2019 02:58 PM #8529
      I don't post a ton anymore (mostly lurk), but I joined y'all's fancy Strava group (and just in time for CX season)

    6. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-13-2019 10:14 PM #8530
      We fancy.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    7. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-14-2019 05:56 PM #8531
      Today was supposed to be a 5hr EM ride on the SS MTB. Struggled to get motivated to get out the door today for the 75 min drive. Rolled out and all was good but prob 3 hrs in I just couldn't keep going. Combo of IT band slight pain and just mental funk. Wasn't feeling it. Ended up with 41 miles at 3hrs 47min.

      Supposed to do three pretty strenuous intervals rides this upcoming week before a six hour ride Saturday. Going to just take the week off, focus on stretching/rolling, and see how that six hour goes. Feeling really burned out

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    8. n00b Bruce1983's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 16th, 2019
      Location
      the USA
      Posts
      3
      Vehicles
      Beetle
      09-16-2019 11:06 AM #8532
      Rain check

    9. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-22-2019 09:19 AM #8533
      So much for my six hour ride. Got some sort of stomach bug and over the last 36hrs I'm down 8lbs. Hopefully I can shake this off quickly so this doesn't impact my tango ride in less than two weeks.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    10. Member B3passatBMX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2004
      Location
      Coloradical
      Posts
      10,702
      Vehicles
      91 318iS, 05 Honda Pilot
      09-24-2019 11:31 AM #8534
      Had an incredible weekend of riding this past weekend. Did almost 50 miles of lift access DH on Saturday at Trestle Bike Park in Winter Park, CO. On Sunday my lady and the doggo came to hang out while I rode some BMX in Frisco and we capped the weekend with a gorgeous ride in Breckenridge on a trail appropriately named Aspen Alley which was in full color change. It's rare to get a solid ride on all 3 bikes in one weekend but I wish it happened more often



      "family photo"




      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

    11. Member HI SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Honolulu
      Posts
      5,824
      09-24-2019 07:32 PM #8535
      Man I need to get out to some more lift access DH trails. Looks like so much fun

    12. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-24-2019 09:19 PM #8536
      Today was polar opposite of the fun shenanigans above...90 mins inside. Legs are fried after a week off with the literal ****ty weekend.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    13. Member B3passatBMX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2004
      Location
      Coloradical
      Posts
      10,702
      Vehicles
      91 318iS, 05 Honda Pilot
      09-25-2019 12:56 PM #8537
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Man I need to get out to some more lift access DH trails. Looks like so much fun
      It really might be my favorite form of riding. I'm fortunate to have multiple mountains with in a 2 hour drive of me. Trestle Bike park is my go to.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

    14. Member scirockalot8v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2006
      Location
      724
      Posts
      14,602
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack SEL, 18 Tiguan SE 4Mo, and 79 F150/ex scirocco, mk4 and mk5 owner
      09-30-2019 09:19 PM #8538
      Working on riding at home. Building a little skills section. More things will be added. All being made from free scrap wood. The drop is a little over 3ft. With the grade it's close to 4.5ft-6ft depending on how fast you can go. It's a little rough for a hardtail.
      https://youtu.be/8YzAbp9e1_I

      Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

    15. 10-01-2019 06:41 AM #8539
      Went up to New Paltz, NY last weekend. Took my single speed MTB out on the carriage roads there - gorgeous!! Wish I had brought my road bike though, the road riding looked spectacular.

      Fall 2019 NY visit by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Fall 2019 NY visit by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Mohonk Preserve, NY by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Fall 2019 NY visit by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
      Mohonk Preserve, NY by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

    16. Member B3passatBMX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2004
      Location
      Coloradical
      Posts
      10,702
      Vehicles
      91 318iS, 05 Honda Pilot
      10-01-2019 01:45 PM #8540
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      Working on riding at home. Building a little skills section. More things will be added. All being made from free scrap wood. The drop is a little over 3ft. With the grade it's close to 4.5ft-6ft depending on how fast you can go. It's a little rough for a hardtail.
      https://youtu.be/8YzAbp9e1_I

      Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
      Very cool. Never thought about building little features like that in my yard. Wonder if my lady would kill me for building a skills area in the yard
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

    17. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      10-05-2019 11:41 PM #8541
      Big fail today. Record high temps plus complete lack of rain for the last couple months made the conditions absolutely brutal. Felt good for the first 20 or 30 miles but legs started fatiguing in the last five miles of unimproved single track. After that it was HOURS of deep sand double track with some intermittent relief of hard pack. I was pulling hard and even passed a bunch of guys struggling through the sand (29+ ftw). Was prob maybe 6th or so at that point. At what I guess is maybe mile 55 or so the heat really kicked up. My left knee was giving me crap on hard efforts. Despite drinking in abundance I was struggling with hydration and staying fueled. Started questioning why the hell I'm even doing this in the first place. All that time spent away from my family training and for what...here I was doubting everything and considering pulling out. This mental battle went on for quite some time. By the time I rolled in to my 70 mile checkpoint around 1:15 I was completely mentally defeated. I lost the battle with myself.

      Being a self supported event I refused to try to reach out for a ride. Instead I made the 40ish mile short cut back to the parking lot. Ended up with 113miles, a DNF, and a nice groin punch to the ego considering I completed this last year with zero training.

      Not sure where to go from here.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2006
      Location
      Arden, NC
      Posts
      3,808
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      10-06-2019 10:24 AM #8542
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Big fail today. Record high temps plus complete lack of rain for the last couple months made the conditions absolutely brutal. Felt good for the first 20 or 30 miles but legs started fatiguing in the last five miles of unimproved single track. After that it was HOURS of deep sand double track with some intermittent relief of hard pack. I was pulling hard and even passed a bunch of guys struggling through the sand (29+ ftw). Was prob maybe 6th or so at that point. At what I guess is maybe mile 55 or so the heat really kicked up. My left knee was giving me crap on hard efforts. Despite drinking in abundance I was struggling with hydration and staying fueled. Started questioning why the hell I'm even doing this in the first place. All that time spent away from my family training and for what...here I was doubting everything and considering pulling out. This mental battle went on for quite some time. By the time I rolled in to my 70 mile checkpoint around 1:15 I was completely mentally defeated. I lost the battle with myself.

      Being a self supported event I refused to try to reach out for a ride. Instead I made the 40ish mile short cut back to the parking lot. Ended up with 113miles, a DNF, and a nice groin punch to the ego considering I completed this last year with zero training.

      Not sure where to go from here.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Dude you are seriously over trained. Physically, you might just be a little tired, but it sounds like your brain needs a break. Some people do awesome with the TCC style structure (ahem...Stan), but others like myself just don’t. I’ve been there before—-after a while, every workout is painful and it’s time away from friends and family. After a while you’re like, “why am I leaving my happy life to go suffer on a bike?”

      You need a week or two off, followed by a month or two of fun rides to remind yourself why you like riding bikes.

    19. Member A1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      4,262
      Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      10-06-2019 11:27 AM #8543
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Dude you are seriously over trained. Physically, you might just be a little tired, but it sounds like your brain needs a break. Some people do awesome with the TCC style structure (ahem...Stan), but others like myself just don’t. I’ve been there before—-after a while, every workout is painful and it’s time away from friends and family. After a while you’re like, “why am I leaving my happy life to go suffer on a bike?”

      You need a week or two off, followed by a month or two of fun rides to remind yourself why you like riding bikes.
      Yeah I think you are right. Last few weeks it was a battle to get on the bike. Reflecting back I think I was mentally over the race when my legs started complaining so early on. Everything snowballed after that. Stark difference from last year when I powered through it all in stride.

      Def taking a couple weeks off and go back to what I was doing before with maybe some more structured but fun weekday rides.

      Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

    20. Member Samson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 1999
      Posts
      11,992
      Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      10-07-2019 08:24 AM #8544
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Def taking a couple weeks off and go back to what I was doing before with maybe some more structured but fun weekday rides.
      Good plan.

      Over the weekend, I met an old friend in Big South Fork, TN for some riding. We were going to ride the O&W bridle trail out to the main trail system (~20 miles round trip), but after a 13 mile test ride, we decided to just drive. Fist+ sized rocks, hoof-marked dirt, lots of sharp broken branches (sliced a sidewall) etc. made for ride that wasn't all that enjoyable. It also really made me miss FS. We were also going to do the IMBA Epic route (~30 miles of singletrack/gravel), but decided to just ride singletrack. Fun stuff, though it was not particularly challenging. Great flow and views on the John Muir Trail and Grand Gap. We meant to ride more, but, well, both of us lack the drive of some of you guys.

      https://www.strava.com/activities/2765749140




      Good hiking in the area as well:


    21. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2013
      Location
      LMBRD IL
      Posts
      298
      Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      10-07-2019 02:06 PM #8545
      First cross race of the season yesterday...and the second week in a row that the Chicago series race has had their venue permits pulled due to excessive rain and been forced to relocate the race(s) on short notice. Which meant mud. This is after the first go round with the hose



      Could have sworn I bought a two year USAC license and promptly discovered it was expired yesterday morning when I looked up my license number, so I got staged at the back of the pack which then promptly broke off from the lead pack at the first mud...field. And woof.

      Not fun mud. Quicksand peanut butter melted plastic mud that even PDXs just would not shed. 40-32 wasn't enough gear to spin through this stuff at 230 lbs and it just ate my legs. Lungs felt great though!

    22. Member PainKiller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2007
      Location
      by the mountain
      Posts
      10,160
      Vehicles
      02 24V GTI - outback - 84 Softail
      10-07-2019 05:03 PM #8546
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      It really might be my favorite form of riding. I'm fortunate to have multiple mountains with in a 2 hour drive of me. Trestle Bike park is my go to.
      Do they have beginner style trails there? Since my ruthless crash of 2018 I dont want to ride anything to fast/technical but I really want to start riding again

      Im down in Denver so this is not to far at all
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Please tell me how this does. I have a massive amount of stuff I need to kill
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Sprinkle some of your personality on it.
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

    23. Member HI SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Honolulu
      Posts
      5,824
      10-08-2019 07:15 PM #8547
      Quote Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
      Do they have beginner style trails there? Since my ruthless crash of 2018 I dont want to ride anything to fast/technical but I really want to start riding again

      Im down in Denver so this is not to far at all
      I cannot speak for that park, but when I went to the park in New Zealand, the beginner trails start at a very high level.

      The bunny slope had near vertical descents into 120 degree banked turns, that if miscalculated would shoot you off the side of the mountain.


      Some of the most fun I ever had, and ended up cancelling 2 days of plans last minute just so I could spend 3 days up there.

      I'm hoping to find the time to sneak out to Whistler next year sometime during the bike season. My friend's family has a house up there that is vacant all summer.

    24. Member PainKiller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2007
      Location
      by the mountain
      Posts
      10,160
      Vehicles
      02 24V GTI - outback - 84 Softail
      10-09-2019 05:35 PM #8548
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I cannot speak for that park, but when I went to the park in New Zealand, the beginner trails start at a very high level.

      The bunny slope had near vertical descents into 120 degree banked turns, that if miscalculated would shoot you off the side of the mountain.


      Some of the most fun I ever had, and ended up cancelling 2 days of plans last minute just so I could spend 3 days up there.

      I'm hoping to find the time to sneak out to Whistler next year sometime during the bike season. My friend's family has a house up there that is vacant all summer.
      Yeah, some of the hills out here will kill you without a doubt. Thats why I'm looking to go back to beginner trails. I cannot handle the thought of going back to the hospital strapped to a board

      One near death crash is enough for me. It's been 16 months and I still wake up with a sore shoulder at least a few days/ week

      Winter park has some serious isht but they also have some long hills that are not as steep. I have only snowboarded there so I dont know about bike trails
      Last edited by PainKiller; 10-09-2019 at 05:45 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Please tell me how this does. I have a massive amount of stuff I need to kill
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Sprinkle some of your personality on it.
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

    25. Member HI SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Honolulu
      Posts
      5,824
      10-09-2019 05:54 PM #8549
      Quote Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
      Yeah, some of the hills out here will kill you without a doubt. Thats why I'm looking to go back to beginner trails. I cannot handle the thought of going back to the hospital strapped to a board

      One near death crash is enough for me. It's been 16 months and I still wake up with a sore shoulder at least a few days/ week

      Winter park has some serious isht but they also have some long hills that are not as steep. I have only snowboarded there so I dont know about bike trails
      The same guy was working the counter at the car rental place in Queenstown, when we picked up the rental car, and dropped it off.

      We were going through small talk, and he processed my paperwork, about how my trip was etc. I told him I had just spent the last 3 days at the bike park.

      He asked if I had crashed, and I told him a few times, but nothing major. He said his first day up on the hill he ended up getting medevaced, and didn't remember anything except for setting out on the trail before misjudging a jump.

      Stakes are high but it is addictive.

      I definitely need to practice before I go 2 something like that again. Unfortunately the amount of downhill trails out here is very limited.

      There are basically only two that don't involve are there trespassing or a 25 mile hump in the jungle to get to the top of.

    26. Member PainKiller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2007
      Location
      by the mountain
      Posts
      10,160
      Vehicles
      02 24V GTI - outback - 84 Softail
      10-09-2019 07:17 PM #8550
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      He asked if I had crashed, and I told him a few times, but nothing major. He said his first day up on the hill he ended up getting medevaced, and didn't remember anything except for setting out on the trail before misjudging a jump.

      Stakes are high but it is addictive.
      .
      It's tough for me to get back on the bike

      The brain injury alone has almost made me rather have died. I forget things all the time, people are always mad at me because I forget things that are so obvious. I dont remember trying to get back on the bike after the crash. The two guys that saw it told the paramedics that "I didnt want help and that I was going to go home"

      The broken clavicle, 4 ribs, both wrists... those are secondary to the brain injury

      I really want to ride again, I just dont know if I'm ready for anything aside from walking trails ... lame
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Please tell me how this does. I have a massive amount of stuff I need to kill
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Sprinkle some of your personality on it.
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

    Page 342 of 343 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •