VWVortex.com - So, did you ride today? (Details!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 342 of 342 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342
    Results 8,526 to 8,532 of 8532

Thread: So, did you ride today? (Details!)

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      09-09-2019 01:03 PM #8526
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      Ran 40psi, dumb roadie! Way too high given I weigh 155 lbs. I bounced all over the place.
      Look for a decent set of used tubeless wheels and cram in the widest tires you can fit. It's a game changer. I think I have an EA90SL front wheel somewhere in the garage if you get the itch. But good job on the race.

Quote Originally Posted by A1an
      Then my go to recovery beverage...whole thing is 900ish calories. Getting all science-like with my fueling.
      Ha. Nice. I don't have the mental endurance for a five hour ride. Impressive stuff.

I've been doing my usual 1-1.5 hour rides... nothing too exciting. I've had horrible sleep the past few weeks though, and I feel it during the ride. Sucks.

I replaced my wife's too-small and knee-hurty 52cm Madone trainer bike with my R230 and am going to try to get some better airflow (again) in my trainer cave, so maybe I'll start doing that more. It's certainly more efficient than going on a real ride during the work day. Maybe like the PO, I too can crack the chainstays.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4dr DSG, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      09-11-2019 08:47 AM #8527
      Had my worse race today, yet still podiumed (definitely not a humblebrag).
      Same event ive been doing for 3 years in a row, always been a 25 mile loop around the park so I know what im getting myself into. But this year, they decide to add two new sections that are extremely technical but not reduce the mileage. The loop is now 27.5 miles which does change strategy for everyone.

Start the race OK, we are last wave in our Cat so TONS of traffic and lose the race leader in the first singletrack as he physically just rode through the woods around people. I dont get a chance to open things up till mile 3-4 and I know the leader is long gone (4 minute gap). Paced awesome the first 12 miles (over 11.2 mph) then hit the first new section. Wow it just sucked the soul out of me (and others riding), everything just crawling to a halt. At this time, I started to feel real hungry even though I was eating (1 gel, 1 waffle) and drinking well. Get through the crap section, and felt amazing the next 3 miles. Finish a mellow flat section and come out to the blazing sun then it hit me like a ton of bricks....lost my vision a bit, feel nauseating, just could not tell my legs to move. BONKED big time. Pull over, eat whatever food I had left and just start crying. Mostly cause it was mile 16 with around 10 miles to go.

Rest for 5 minutes, stretched my body out and started pedaling but felt like half speed. Start to feel a bit better then hit the second super slow tech section and half way through - BONKED again! This time thank goodness someone was right behind me to keep me from falling back down the hill. He gives me half a bar and I slowly move on. What was even more demoralizing was the tough part of the old course I still had to ride through. Surprisingly I make it through in one piece but very slow. With about 1.5 miles left, I see a friend and he tells me "I think your 3rd or 4th...go get it!" This motivates to finish strong.

Sure enough, I place 3rd out of 9 riders. In talking to the others in my cat, they also struggled with the course changes and all came in 5-10mins after me. Very strange the first time my nutrition made me fail like this, really do not know what to do going forward since it was the same for all races. Like me bonking, my GoPro overheated around 2 hours into race and the footage looked awful. But captured the good/fun times during my race.

12 GTI 4dr DSG - APR
      02 4Runner SR5

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-11-2019 09:21 PM #8528
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      Alan that is freaking awesome dude! Nicely done. It's fun having fitness isn't it? I am jealous as mine this year is hot garbage. Seriously dude, that is good work. 5 hours in the heat is freaking hard. Enjoy all the donuts you can cram in your face. Don't forget to take some recovery time. First race is coming up soon right? You mind if I follow you on strava to watch?

Thanks Moose! Hoping it's all worth it in the end...kind of feel it's straining the family life a little bit on the weekends which is part of the reason I'm not always doing my Sat and Sun rides. Once I complete this event on Oct I'm def going to re-evaluate weekend time. Maybe just one long 5+ hour ride a month or something. Stick with the usual 3-4 hour rides the rest of the weekends, plus the usual weekday stuff.

No prob following on Strava. If you are part of the Vortex group there you should see me on the feed (Alan Anderson)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Signature.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      09-13-2019 02:58 PM #8529
      I don't post a ton anymore (mostly lurk), but I joined y'all's fancy Strava group (and just in time for CX season)

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-13-2019 10:14 PM #8530
      We fancy.

Signature.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      09-14-2019 05:56 PM #8531
      Today was supposed to be a 5hr EM ride on the SS MTB. Struggled to get motivated to get out the door today for the 75 min drive. Rolled out and all was good but prob 3 hrs in I just couldn't keep going. Combo of IT band slight pain and just mental funk. Wasn't feeling it. Ended up with 41 miles at 3hrs 47min.

Supposed to do three pretty strenuous intervals rides this upcoming week before a six hour ride Saturday. Going to just take the week off, focus on stretching/rolling, and see how that six hour goes. Feeling really burned out

Signature.

Vehicles
      Beetle
      09-16-2019 11:06 AM #8532
      Rain check

Page 342 of 342 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342