VWVortex.com - DIY - Wiring a Euro Headlight Switch to run parking lights (MkVI GTi)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY - Wiring a Euro Headlight Switch to run parking lights (MkVI GTi)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVII R / BMW R1200GSA
      01-16-2010 05:28 PM #1
      Disclaimer: I do not condone the inactivation of daytime running lights (DRLs). If you do this DIY and inactivate your DRLs, you will likely crash and be killed or severely injured. Also, I do not believe that you should do any work on your VW. All work should be done by a VW dealership and a certified VW tech.
      Okay, this DIY will allow you to turn off your DRLs and run that tiny light under your low beam with or without your fogs. People have their own reasons for wanting to inactivate DRLs so please, let's not turn this into a "why shut off the DRLs, they are a safety feature" thread. The goal is to run a parking light trigger wire from the HL switch to the Central Electric Control Module (CECM) under the drivers side dash.
      Another thing is that my car has xenons and so I can't speak to this working on halogen equipped cars, though I suspect it will. Also I chose to use a non-auto Euro switch because I don't have a light sensor and don't plan to retrofit one (if its even possible).
      What you need:
      1. European spec HL switch (PN: 3C8941431QXSH)
      2. VW repair wire (PN: 000979009E)
      3. T-20 torx
      4. Flashlight
      5. Metal pick (straight or curved)
      6. Electrical tape
      7. VAG-COM / VCDS
      8. DVOM (optional to test pins)
      Step 1- First you need to disable your DRLs using VCDS. For xenon-equipped cars: module 09-central electrics > coding > long coding helper. Once in the helper you need to uncheck 3 boxes (wording may be a little different than what I have here - my memory is poor):
      1. DRL switch installed
      2. Separate DRL installed
      3. DRL
      Once you do this, confirm that the DRLs are off and that green "DRL" symbol on your dash is off with the headlight switch in the "O" position (off).
      Step 2- Install your European HL switch. To remove your stock HL switch do the following:
      1. In the 'Off position - O' depress the dial until it stops;

2. Turn dial clockwise towards the 'On' position;

3. You will feel a click, then just pull the switch out;

Now you need to disconnect the harness from the switch. On the right side of the harness there is a small tab. Push the tab in and pull the harness off. Pull a little excess wiring out of the dash so you have something to work with.
      Once the harness is off and holding it with the tab to the right, you will notice that the third slot from the right is empty. That is slot #3. To confirm, look in the back of the HL switch where the harness was. You will see numbering from 1-5 and the 6-10 for the two rows.

The row on the left, 3rd pin from the bottom is pin 3. It is the same on the European switch.
      Step 3- Test your Euro switch to be sure that pin #3 is for the parking lights, or take my word for it. Dana @ Ross Tech has already worked out the pins for both the HL switch and the connector in the CECM. I used a voltmeter to double check but I trust her for sure. To do this put the switch in the parking light position (=<> and check the resistance between pins 3 and 8. Should be null. The pin assignments on the European HL switch are (from Dana):
      8 & 9 = Constant in off position (DRL/TFL)
      8 & 3 = Parking
      8 & 1 = On
      8 & 5 = Fog Ft.
      8 & 7 = Fog Rear

Step 4- Expose the 52 pin connector at the CECM. This is a PITA because of access. Move your drivers seat all the way back and locate the footwell light. Disconnect the harness (pulls right out) and unscrew the single torx screw (T-20) that anchors it to the dash.

Above the footwell light you will see the CECM with 3 large connectors on it:

The black one to the left is where the parking light pin is located. To get the connector off, pull the white plastic level over the connector. This holds it to the CECM.

The harness then will pull straight out. To access the pins the harness needs to be disassembled. First remove the outer shell with the white latch on it. There are 2 small tabs that you need to push in to remove the core that has all the wires going into it. This is the tab location on the shell:

This is what it looks like when you start to pull the shell off (notice the tabs towards the bottom of the photo):

This is the outer shell completely removed:

Once the outer shell is off you will have to split the wire harness in half. It has a joint down the center, almost like a dovetail, and the two halves just slide apart. You may have to cut a little of the fabric tape around the wire loom to have enough slack to split the harness. Here are the two sides once split apart:

Step 5- Find the slot for pin #19. This is for the parking light input signal. The numbers are imprinted just above the bottom edge. Here is slot #19:

Step 6- Connect pin #3 on the HL switch with pin #19 on the 52 pin CECM harness. Take your yellow VW repair wire and snake it through the hole in the dash where the HL switch was and send it down to the CECM area. This takes some time and a good light. Here is your wire:

Once the wire is snaked through, simply push one end into the HL switch harness at slot #3 and tape it to the preexisting wires so that you don't pull it out while working at the other end. Reinsert the harness back into the HL switch. Here is the new wire taped to the others:

Now push the other end of the wire into slot #19 on the CECM harness. Reassemble the 52 pin connector, tape the yellow wire to the existing wire loom, and then push the harness back into the CECM. Slide the white latch back and that locks it into place. Here is the connector back in place:

Step 7- Test it out. Push the new HL switch into the dash. Once the ignition is on the parking position (= < > lights up green with the dial in ALL positions:

Here are the lighting configurations with pics:
      1. Off position (O) - no lights
      2. Parking position (= < > - small parking lights, side markers, and tails

3. Parking position + fogs - above + fogs

4. Low beam position - small parking lights, side markers, tails, low beams
      5. Low beam + fog - above + fogs

That's it. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way. (x3 once you finish)

Modified by JTwGTI at 5:49 PM 1-16-2010

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '87 BMW 325i//'15 GSW TDI
      01-16-2010 05:57 PM #2
      awesome write up! thanks!
      -Colby, Oakwood, OH
      1987 BMW 325i: many mods
      2015 VW Golf SportWagen 2.0 TDI SE
      *searching for* B. M. Double Unicorns.

01-16-2010 06:43 PM #3
      Incredible job and great pictures! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 01-16-2010 06:47 PM #4
      OMG Thats Killer thanks.......
      Do you have a link where I could get that yellow cable?

01-16-2010 07:09 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by RichG &raquo;

I ordered mine from OEM Plus
      http://oemplus.com/index.php?m...d=805
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

8. 01-16-2010 07:12 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by RichG &raquo;

Nevermind I did the part number at ECS. Thanks

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      01-16-2010 07:20 PM #7
      This is pathetic. VW is saving on a single wire sending vehicles to US.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      01-16-2010 08:14 PM #8
      Making this a sticky ---- GREAT WORK!!!!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVII R / BMW R1200GSA
      01-16-2010 09:10 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by maloosheck &raquo;

Yeah, right?
      Quote, originally posted by TREGinginCO &raquo;
      Making this a sticky ---- GREAT WORK!!!!

Many thanks. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro, 2015 Audi Q3 Quattro
      01-16-2010 11:59 PM #10
      I've been waiting for someone to post this. Thx! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      7th VAG - Manhattan Gray '17 Audi A4 Premium Plus Quattro, 6th VAG - Tundra Brown '15 Audi Q3 Prestige Quattro
      Flickr

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
      01-17-2010 10:23 AM #11
      Excellent work and presentation, JT! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Many, many thanks!!!

Modified by GTIwinters at 11:12 AM 1-17-2010

Vehicles
      1996/VW/GTI VR6; 2010/VW/GTI
      01-17-2010 08:46 PM #12
      Awesome. Is the rear fog light wire already in place by the HL switch?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVII R / BMW R1200GSA
      01-17-2010 09:40 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Sho &raquo;
      Awesome. Is the rear fog light wire already in place by the HL switch?

Well, there is a pin (#7) for the rear fog but no wire in the harness. It's easy to add the wire but the question will be where that trigger wire needs to go. My guess, and this is something that Dana @ Ross Tech would be a great resource for, is that the rear fog trigger pin is going to be in the black 52-pin connector in the CECM. A wire will also need to be added to run back to the rear light from another pin in the CECM to carry the signal for the fog.
      I think this will materialize once we learn more of the pin assignments in the CECM. I'm working on it now. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      01-18-2010 06:55 AM #14
      Great work, thank you so much! Look forward to performing this.

Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat VR6, 14 GLI, 16 GTI,17 A4
      01-18-2010 08:14 AM #15
      sweeet thank you..... great write up

Vehicles
      01-18-2010 11:14 AM #16
      Thanks, once I have the car i will try to figure it out as well.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      01-18-2010 12:18 PM #17
      Great DIY! Guess on the MKVI the Euro switch alone doesn't enable parking lights as it did on previous VW models. VW likes to make us work lol....
      2Ø16 Golf 7 Variant Highline R-Line Pure-Weiß 1,8t FSI « 2Ø11 Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF 2,0 TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline Candy-Weiß 5-Türen« Ø8 Golf 5 .:R32 Deep Blau Perleffekt 3,2 VR6 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen « Ø6 Golf 5 GTI 2,0 FSI DSG Tornadorot 3-Türen « Ø2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen. I Euro-spec OEM Mods

20. 01-18-2010 01:26 PM #18
      Props. Great work. I've got my weekend project lined up. Hopefully we can get the rear fogs sorted as well.

Vehicles
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      01-19-2010 12:39 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by maloosheck &raquo;
      I agree

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      01-19-2010 03:07 PM #20
      Well, and a switch. But logistics costs might be reduced...

23. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVII R / BMW R1200GSA
      01-19-2010 04:04 PM #21
      It looks more involved than it really is. I'd say 15 min if your comfortable with VW's connectors. But I agree that it's crazy that the customer has to do it. Can we blame JD Power

Vehicles
      01-19-2010 09:06 PM #22
      Do you mind to post a detailed instruction of how to turnff the DRL via VAGCOM? My friend has the VAGCOM and will be helpping me to turn off the DRL, but he doesn't know how.
      Thanks in advance.
      Sho

Vehicles
      2017 Honda CR-V Touring
      01-20-2010 03:46 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by JTwGTI &raquo;
      Disclaimer: I do not condone the inactivation of daytime running lights (DRLs). If you do this DIY and inactivate your DRLs, you will likely crash and be killed or severely injured. Also, I do not believe that you should do any work on your VW. All work should be done by a VW dealership and a certified VW tech.

(Buh? Elaborate for "I don't think you should do this", but ... meh.)
      Quote, originally posted by JTwGTI &raquo;
      Step 7- Test it out. Push the new HL switch into the dash. Once the ignition is on the parking position (= < > lights up green with the dial in ALL positions:

I've got one of these switches in my MkV since the switch is the same except for cosmetic (silver/black, not just black) in both vehicles. I've also got the always-green parking light position and never could figure out why. Anyone know? MkIV didn't do this. I ask around from time to time in the hope that someone, someday, will know the answer.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVII R / BMW R1200GSA
      01-20-2010 07:43 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by Buran &raquo;
      (Buh? Elaborate for "I don't think you should do this", but ... meh.)

It was a joke, but not very funny I guess.
      As long as the switch has power the green parking light symbol will be illuminated. Not sure why either.

Modified by JTwGTI at 7:45 PM 1-20-2010

Vehicles
      2017 Honda CR-V Touring
      01-21-2010 03:59 AM #25
      Oh, don't get me wrong, I was amused. Doesn't come across well in text! Sorry 'bout that.
      I wonder if there's some EU law that requires this...

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast