VWVortex.com - 3.2 VR6 OEM+ intake manifold project.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: 3.2 VR6 OEM+ intake manifold project.

05-01-2020 02:10 PM #601
      As long as that plenum can stay near atmospheric at wot it should be "big enough."

Agreed- but not sure it would be at 6-7k+

Who still has one of these cars and a willingness to buy a vac guage, poke a little hole, and go dyno?

Or..is there a digital vac gauge that has a hold peak reading option? Then street testing could be quick and easy.
      -Josh

Atari Token <- Will allow integration into games for ownership and transfer of digital assets with the ability to create or earn property in virtual worlds, cross platforms, through blockchain. Coming soon to the new Atari VCS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      05-01-2020 02:28 PM #602
      You were the only one motivated enough!
      -Paul
      1992 Corrado - ALL MOTOR Drag Project [email protected] and falling
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning

05-01-2020 07:22 PM #603
      Nah- there are still guys playing with these engines...and probably will be so for a long time to come.

Might not be in R32....but there were a lot of cars and trucks as you know so lots of donors.
      -Josh

Atari Token <- Will allow integration into games for ownership and transfer of digital assets with the ability to create or earn property in virtual worlds, cross platforms, through blockchain. Coming soon to the new Atari VCS

Vehicles
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      05-01-2020 07:50 PM #604
      Lots of motors just not as much care. In a light car, short runner and send it.
      -Paul

05-01-2020 10:39 PM #605
      Yah..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Josh

Vehicles
      04 R32
      05-04-2020 02:07 PM #606
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      Who still has one of these cars and a willingness to buy a vac guage, poke a little hole, and go dyno?
      I have extra manifolds I can toy with

anyone have an idea where I can buy a vac guage?

Vehicles
      04 R32
      05-04-2020 02:09 PM #607
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      I had sold my R32 a few years ago now, but I before I sold it I had an idea I wanted to try- but never did.

Cut the roof / lid off the lower plenum cover- create a spacer as tall as you can without hitting your hood- unless you want to cut a hole in the hood.
      I'm sure we can reach out to the new owner and see if he can test this. I would be interested as well

Vehicles
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      05-05-2020 10:44 AM #608
      You can get a vac gauge almost anywhere. Big thing is ability to look at it at wot
      -Paul

Vehicles
      04 R32
      05-05-2020 12:04 PM #609
      would this work? https://www.amazon.com/Manometer-Dif.../dp/B07K7HT3XJ

I have about 2-3 extra intake manifolds. I try to buy them for cheap from time to time when I see the for sale.

my goal was to one day cut them up for 3D scanning. Externally then Internally. Once scanned, use some CAD software to increase the sides just enough for everything to fit.

With 3D printing getting more popular, I figured it was only a matter of time before 3D scanning/printing was cheap enough to make a better OEM+ intake manifold.

I've been following this thread for years, and believe in all the work Josh (PowerDubs) has done. The last bottleneck is our Intake. Trying to increase airflow without sacrificing torque.

We want to increase our numbers, not just transition the power band from lower to higher (HPA CVP Intake).

I'm also still curious about the Bigger Throttle Body idea as well. Not sure if that was in this thread or a different one, and Josh can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the bigger TB's dont open up 100% during WOT when you go with the bigger TB. I believe it has something to do with the software/tune and air flow sensor.

Also, if we did the vacuum testing, are there any other logs we want to capture (using VAGCOM).

05-05-2020 12:17 PM #610
      When I did my custom bored 80mm TB, the car felt livelier until it would throw a CEL for adaptation limit reached.

I did not know Jeff Atwood at the time, so I sold it. He told me he could 100% fix the tune to make that TB work. Another thing I wish I did if things had worked out differently.

I don't know if it actually made any true power, or just that it was getting more air per the cars given throttle position unexpectedly.
      -Josh

05-05-2020 12:29 PM #611
      Marv,

That is not only perfect because it has peak record function, but it also has a differential reading which is awesome!

You can BOTH plenums and if there is any vac at high rev WOT- you can see if it is just the lower plenum, or the higher plenum as well.

You can also see if those readings change when a bigger TB is installed. (removing a choke point).

I love this ****.
      -Josh

05-05-2020 12:34 PM #612
      SCRATCH THAT

Just scrolled down and read specs- you will need something with a larger range than +/- 2PSI

Would you agree Paul?
      -Josh

Vehicles
      04 R32
      05-05-2020 12:57 PM #613
      this should work
      https://www.amazon.com/Testo-552-Dig...GV/ref=sr_1_12
      https://www.testo.com/en-US/testo-552/p/0560-5522

I'll hit up my buddy, see if he already has one. Also need to see if the local dyno shop is even open.
      I remember he used to do 3 runs for $100. I wonder how much he'll give me for just a couple of hours to test/play around with different things.

15. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      05-05-2020 01:11 PM #614
      Probably don't need a huge range as it should max out at 0psi but that is a guess.
      -Paul

05-05-2020 07:55 PM #615
      If cars maxed out at 0 PSI vac there would be no gain to air filters / boxes....and we already know they make a substantial measurable difference on the R32.

I get the idea that bottle necks move around- and some are worse than others- I just don't agree that Vdub designed the stock manifold plenums with 330-340-350 all motor bhp in mind at 7k+ rpm

I'll say- by all means Marv, get the 2lb +/- meter, tap and plug into each plenum and let us know what's what. No need to dyno since that box will record peak.

Just sat down and gave it a quick thought. I'm no mathematician, nor engine designer, but lets round atmo up to 15, round the engine to an easy 300 crank- so if everything being equal (which hardly ever happens)- that means 20bhp for every psi.

So 2psi should be enough...unless I am thinking about this wrong somehow now. You won't gain 40bhp on a manifold modification. I'd be very happy with a solid consistent 5whp if a plenum spacer is all it took.

The meter alone will tell you both plenums activity without need for modification or dyno. Heck- I might buy one to try on my motorcycle. I've been playing modifying that and dynoing.
      -Josh

Vehicles
      04 R32
      05-26-2020 01:58 PM #616
      I just dug through my basement. I have 2 extra manifolds that I can toy with. I'll grab the vacuum gauge first and then go from there. stay tuned!

Vehicles
      All Motor 12v
      05-27-2020 02:08 AM #617
      Cool to see this thread get some activity once again. As some may know I have been playing with a 3.2 motor in my 24v mk4 gti. Basically a fwd r32 at this point (knuckles, steering rack etc are all r32 when its not in dragstrip mode). I have tested a fair bit of stuff already but I haven't bothered to mess with a stock intake manifold. I can confidently say I am making more than any stock motor 3.2 has made naturally aspirated and I find low rpm torque to be more than sufficient without the stock intake. I have considered playing around with the stock intake as I have a few laying around but its hard to knowingly take a step back. Yes in a heavy car low rpm tq is nice but my theory is if I am going full throttle at a low enough rpm where the stock intake would be a big advantage I am probably in the wrong gear to start with. It would be great to have the best of both worlds but the stock intake gives up too much up top for the gains down low. At least for me.

For those curious about power the car has already trapped over 112 mph in 90+ deg weather weighing 2650 lbs. Its a stock motor with cams, intake manifold, and a custom downpipe on AEM Infinity that I wired and tuned.
      [email protected] World's Quickest Supercharged VR6
      [email protected] First and only All Motor 12v Street Car in the 11' s
      [email protected] Quickest (Only?) All Motor Mk4 - 3.2l of fun

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425