Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My Odyssey

Vehicles
      The one you envy
      02-06-2010 10:31 PM #1
      My PC1200MJT that is. Thought I would share my install of this as all my seaching came up with nothing but a bunch of BS and hack installs. As many have experienced the modern VW likes to eat batteries especially those not driven daily. I won't bore you with the battery spec. details as that info is plentiful, however I did chose the 1200 because it fits our tray the best for. and aft.and it's about half the weight of a traditional battery. But what is not available through searching both the text and abroad is a mounting solution for these batteries, as the Odyssey's do not have a bottom locking lip. Until I came across the HDS-1200/1700 strap from West Coast Batteries Inc.. From the pics you will see that the back side has a t-bar to lock into the tray lip. Install was straight forward with some minor tweeks.

Front side

Back side

Tweeked the mounts bolt angle to match the bolt angle

Needed to use a 10mm longer mounting bolt

I add a small peice of rubber 1/4" weather stripping to the bracket to help secure things a touch tighter than designed, not nesecarly needed

Installed

Angled the positive terminal to clear the cover

Had to clearance the outer cover slightly with a razor knife to clear the taller mount bolt/mount

All finished

Modified by vwtechr32 at 12:41 AM 2-7-2010

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      04 R32T
      02-07-2010 02:30 AM #2
      How is that battery for daily use year round.If it sits a couple days will it need to be on a trickle charge.I would run one but want my car to start always
      -JAMES CRIST JR-
      DRIVEN/Built /UM Turbo R

Vehicles
      The one you envy
      02-07-2010 08:01 AM #3
      Like I said above there is plenty of info. out there about this battery, and it has nothing but praises. I personally don't have and long term in put as I,ve just installed it , but I had read some testamonials were people had left there lights on over night and the battery had plenty of power to start the vehical. Basicly this batterys design (not this accual battery) was developed for military use were a peice of equipment might sit for months at a time. I think the wildest thing about this battery is its CCA abilities it's staged starting at 1200 CCA trust me the car first time I started the car, fresh out of the shipping box, it spun the motoer like a top.
      1200 cranking amps for 5 seconds
      1090 cranking amps for 10 seconds
      900 cranking amps for 20 seconds
      Product Description:
      Free UPS Ground Shipping
      Order today and receive your PC1200MJT with free ground shipping. Only valid in the continental 48 states and not valid with any other offer.
      2 Batteries in 1
      Odyssey batteries combine in one box the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle (be recharged) as well as provide enormous cranking power.
      Military Grade
      Only Hawker Odyssey batteries are based on the same battery technology offered by Hawker to the military for aircraft and tank batteries. Odyssey batteries are of military grade and have endured rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.
      Superior cranking and fast charge capability
      The 5 second cranking power of Odyssey batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as - 40° C. Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independent charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of a fast charge.
      Specs:
      •Length 7 13/16 in.
      •Width 6 9/16 in.
      •Height 7 9/16 in.
      •Drycell Battery
      •With Metal Jacket: Provides a slightly higher operating temperature range, slightly more vibration resistance, and protection again debris that may hit the battery (when used in compatible applications).
      •12 Volt
      •40 Ah @ 10hr rate
      •550 CCA
      •1200 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
      •78 Minute Reserve Capacity
      •Cycle life @ 77° F 400 at 100% DOD
      •-40° F to 140° F Temperature Range
      •With SAE Automotive Terminals
      •Stinger Power2 SP1000, Black Panther Predator BP-1000MJ equivalent
      •More Specs: (Adobe PDF)
      •Catalogue number 0766-2021
      •Made in the USA
      Features:
      •12 Year design life and 6 to 10 year service life
      •99.9% pure lead providing minimal plate corrosion
      •Explosion proof
      •Corrosion proof
      •2 to 3 times the cranking power of equivalent size battery
      •Spill and leak proof
      •Superior vibration resistance
      •Fully Charged out of the box
      •When fully charged can be stored for up to 2 years at 77° F
      •May be installed on its sides at any angle without sacrificing performance attributes
      •Military grade version of the Hawker Genesis
      •2 Year Full Powersports Warranty
      •Made in the USA

Vehicles
      04 R32T
      02-07-2010 08:39 AM #4
      nice actually like this batt might be picking one up
      -JAMES CRIST JR-
      DRIVEN/Built /UM Turbo R

Vehicles
      '03 Toyota 4Runner, '12 RZR 900 XP
      02-07-2010 09:06 AM #5
      Looks like a good battery. I am on my 3rd battery in this car so far...
      United Motorsport [email protected] mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

02-07-2010 09:17 AM #6
      Looks good Don. You always take the time to do quality installs by checking and adjusting little things for fitment. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Price, weight and purchase location of the battery?
      Price and purchase location of the mount?
      If I had not just replaced my battery last month, this looks like a good option.
      -Josh

1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

Vehicles
      The one you envy
      02-07-2010 09:48 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by climbingcue »
      Looks like a good battery. I am on my 3rd battery in this car so far...

Yeah all reviews of this have come back with an easy 12+ year life cycle and given its the size of a traditional battery and this stap allows you to mount it like a base clamp type battery theres no reason it can't be moved to another vehical if selling the car.
      Quote, originally posted by PowerDubs »
      Looks good Don. You always take the time to do quality installs by checking and adjusting little things for fitment. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Price, weight and purchase location of the battery?
      Price and purchase location of the mount?

Thanks Josh, I purchased everything from West Coast Batteries Inc. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ really I simply bought from them because they had the strap I needed as well as one of the best prices for the battery and also had free shipping for the whole package. The battery was 220.44 and the strap was 19.95 totaling to the door 240.39. Some may scoff or be put off by the price of this but do some reseach and you will find that this is only about $80 more than you convetional batteries these days but what your getting is a 8-12 year battery in return. Weight of the battery is listed as 38.2lb, most conventionals lead cells as you know are 50-60lb, not sure on the stap weight but it is a negligable amount, the strap is a quality peice though with a very heavy durable powder coated finish, I placed it in the vise to angle the mount tap and it didn't scrach it or crack the finish.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 MKIV R32, 2007 Wolfsburg Passat, 2015 Golf R
      02-07-2010 11:11 AM #8
      I think the stock battery is a similar weight - billswebspace r32 page says the OEM battery is 34 lbs.

10. 02-07-2010 04:28 PM #9
      Based on reviews about this odysssey, I think this is a good choice. Most people say that is has this 12+ yer life cycle and thats good enough already.

Vehicles
      2011 135i, 2007 Mini Cooper
      02-13-2010 10:18 PM #10
      Thanks for the thread Don, I'll be buying one of these shortly. VERY tired of dealing with my drained Deka.

Vehicles
      The one you envy
      03-04-2010 10:46 AM #11
      Bumping this up for an updated review since I've had it for about a month now and I see some guys even struggling with there Optimas. Well in short th best battery I've owned in 26 years, I have trully been giving this thing a work out by purposly leaving the lights on leaving the ignition on for extended periods of time. I've aslo found that my lights do not dim any more with a short and large amount of amp draw such as accuating the windows. So again for an invest ment of $240 total for this set up and what many many other owners have claimed as a 7 year battery I don't think you can go wrong.

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      03-04-2010 12:06 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by vwtechr32 »
      Bumping this up for an updated review since I've had it for about a month now and I see some guys even struggling with there Optimas. Well in short th best battery I've owned in 26 years, I have trully been giving this thing a work out by purposly leaving the lights on leaving the ignition on for extended periods of time. I've aslo found that my lights do not dim any more with a short and large amount of amp draw such as accuating the windows. So again for an invest ment of $240 total for this set up and what many many other owners have claimed as a 7 year battery I don't think you can go wrong.

Big thanks for this update. I'm having trouble with my stocker and am weary of which battery to get as I really like to only purchase them when I HAVE to. With the info you've provided, I'm certainly going to buy the odyssey.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen R32 #3571
      03-04-2010 03:31 PM #13
      good write up Don. looks good.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Volkswagen R32, 1988 Ford Festiva LX, 1978 Honda Hobbit
      10-08-2010 12:50 PM #14
      looks like the battery hold down is now 29.95

however, you can buy the battery on amazon for $179 shipped

16. Member
      Vehicles
      12-24-2010 04:17 PM #15
      Where'd you get the bolt with the tapping tip? Size m8 x 1.25 40mm?

Vehicles
      2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
      12-24-2010 05:47 PM #16
      From the title I thought this thread was going to be about how you purchased one of these:

Vehicles
      The one you envy
      12-24-2010 11:10 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by tpr950h View Post
      Where'd you get the bolt with the tapping tip? Size m8 x 1.25 40mm?
      It is a standard VW bolt not sure what PN is thought as I had as a spare in the parts bit.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      12-28-2010 07:53 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtechr32 View Post
      It is a standard VW bolt not sure what PN is thought as I had as a spare in the parts bit.
      thanks. ended up just buying a regular one. a little bit harder to get in tight spaces but the battery is small enough so i dont have a problem threading it by hand first

also, HY i love the starting power on this thing.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-17-2016 07:46 PM #19
      i thought i would bump this thread from the depths because my buddies R battery died and ive been running the same battery since 2010.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 R32 w/ HPA FT400 w/ UM tune - '95GTIVR6 - '02 TTQuattro
      06-17-2016 08:39 PM #20
      Odyssey makes a metal enclosure that fits this battery,,,, open on top.

to mount it I purchased the metal enclosure and pop riveted a piece of angle aluminum purchased at Home Depot to the rear so it slips into the stock slot and on the front, pop riveted a strip of aluminum stock and bent it so that it aligns with the stock bolt location.... drilled it and voila, fits and is held down just like stock battery

Vehicles
      03 Passat GLX Variant, 04 R32 FT450, 06 Beetle, 13 allroad, 17 Q3
      06-17-2016 09:44 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Arizman3 View Post
      Odyssey makes a metal enclosure that fits this battery,,,, open on top.

to mount it I purchased the metal enclosure and pop riveted a piece of angle aluminum purchased at Home Depot to the rear so it slips into the stock slot and on the front, pop riveted a strip of aluminum stock and bent it so that it aligns with the stock bolt location.... drilled it and voila, fits and is held down just like stock battery
      Pics or it didn't happen.
      Someone's always watching you...whether you know it or not.

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '02 337, '84 Jetta Coupe (RIP)
      06-17-2016 11:46 PM #22
      Mounted mine today PC1200MJT used a metal plate and zip ties to mount the fuse box
      Last edited by MrWizard; 06-17-2016 at 11:52 PM.
      VAG-COM Owner
      337 Build

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 R32 w/ HPA FT400 w/ UM tune - '95GTIVR6 - '02 TTQuattro
      06-18-2016 02:36 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by BrewDude View Post
      Pics or it didn't happen.
      ;-) car is sitting in garage up in Woodinville Wa.. when I get back up there I'll snap some pics.. the bat fits and sits within the stock enclosure and bolts down just like stock, with the fuse block sitting atop like stock.. super easy to do.

this is the metal hold-down bracket.... the bat sits in car posts up, towards the rear..(note that the battery can be flipped 180 in this hold down)

failed to mention that I added a flat piece of aluminum sheet to the back side where mounting flanges are (essentially creating a 4 sided enclosure) ...

the piece of aluminum angle stock is bolted through two holes in the hold-down at the bottom rear to lock the battery into the stock clip in the tray at the rear. the front of the hold down is where I pop riveted a piece of aluminum bar stock vertically (that the stock bolt goes through).. took about an hour to make the setup ..

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/acce...s/hd1200sm.htm
      Last edited by Arizman3; 06-18-2016 at 03:05 AM.

Vehicles
      MKIV VR Jetta on Accuair, MKIV R32 Turbo
      06-19-2016 02:33 PM #24
      I've had one of these in my R since the last year sometime. I even had an issue where my alternator was not charging, and this battery allowed me to keep using the car so perfectly that I didn't even KNOW the alternator was not charging until my mass air flow started to not have enough voltage, so it was giving false readings and raising engine RPMs. Absolutely blown away by this battery's performance. It kept going with no symptoms for a few days of regular daily use of the car. After I got the issue fixed, I gave it a quick 30 minute charge on an intelligent charger, and away she went, good as ever.

Car is in storage now, but every time I need to move it or something, it fires right up.