VWVortex.com - Hoses related to Cruise Control on the cabrio?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hoses related to Cruise Control on the cabrio?

1. 02-12-2010 12:17 PM #1
      Has anyone been able to fix the intermittent cruise control issues on their Cabrio?
      Mine works perfectly every morning for about 3 miles, then cuts out. I've replaced the brake light bulbs, which honestly did seem to help with consistency (it does work the first time I turn it on every time now), but it still cuts out.
      So I'm wondering if maybe I've got a vacuum leak somewhere, thinking maybe pressure builds up and it leaks and shuts down....
      I got my ODBII cable this past weekend, so I can finally troubleshoot my ABS issues too...

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      B8 S4, C5 A6, 82 Rabbit Pickup 16v
      02-12-2010 03:04 PM #2
      Check the mk4 forum FAQ sticky for the "Bentley" cruise control test. It's the same procedure on a Cabrio and will allow you to check for vacuum leaks.
      Although, usually, it's just a crappy cruise control module. Extremely common in mk3s.

Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 16v, 09 Jetta wagon, 07 Rabbit
      02-13-2010 02:10 PM #3
      Good reading on this in the MK3 FAQ too:https://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3434133
      General summary: yes, the CC module is often at fault. Solution: remanufactured(businesses that do this are listed in the FAQ) or buy a new one.
      Mine works intermittently, usually after blowing heat through the left-hand duct on the dash for ~15-20 minutes. I've done the test, all of the switches work fine and all of my vacuum hoses are immaculate. I'm just putting off buying the new module right now.

Vehicles
      02-13-2010 03:07 PM #4
      Sorry, I meant the mk3 forum. It's a mk3 module after all.
      And for the record, I tried that mod and followed it to the T and it didn't work.

Modified by DaveLinger at 2:08 PM 2-13-2010

6. 02-14-2010 12:27 PM #5
      Wow, $250 for a new module? Which will probably crap out like the original....
      I think the Audiovox solution may work, but I'm not eager to dump the cash right now.

Vehicles
      02-14-2010 09:43 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Raketemensch »
      Wow, $250 for a new module? Which will probably crap out like the original....
      I think the Audiovox solution may work, but I'm not eager to dump the cash right now.

You can check the mk3 classifieds for used ones. I got a used one and it's not 100%, but it works a heckova lot better than my old one.

Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 16v, 09 Jetta wagon, 07 Rabbit
      02-17-2010 01:41 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by DaveLinger »
      Sorry, I meant the mk3 forum. It's a mk3 module after all.
      And for the record, I tried that mod and followed it to the T and it didn't work.

Modified by DaveLinger at 2:08 PM 2-13-2010

The relay mod? I saw that results among the relay mod's creators were mixed to say the least. Judging from the reading, even some of the rebuilt ones don't work consistently either.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      02-17-2010 02:18 PM #8
      Have yall tried to clean the electrical switches on the brake and clutch pedals. I can imagine that if the vacuum part isn't sealing correctly then there could be the cause of your vacuum leak.
      You could test some of it with a mightyvac, and see if the majority of the system will hold a vacuum. As if you don't know that then all the rest is futile. As you pull a vacuum then you can watch to see if it is bleeding off.

10. 02-18-2010 03:52 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by DaveLinger »
      usually, it's just a crappy cruise control module. Extremely common in mk3s.

So true.
      I was lucky with my '02 Cabrio in the eight years I owned it, but my daughter's '97 Jetta was a bear (and a fortune) to fix.
      Now: '14 Tiguan R-Line 4motion ... '74 Thing Acapulco ... '13 Tiguan S ... '02 Golf GLS TDI
      Past: '09 Eos Komfort ... '97 Jetta GT ... '02 Passat ... '02 Cabrio GLX ... '71 Super Beetle ... '93 EuroVan MV Westy ... '86 Jetta GLI ... '81 Pickup LX ... '85 Vanagon
      Future: oh, the possibilities ...