Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just installed a RCD-510 into my MKVI 2.5

Vehicles
      2010 VW Routan SE | 2010 MKVI 2.5/SOLD | 2008 Speed Triple/SOLD
      03-19-2010 11:52 PM #1
      Okay, so I finally was able to grab a good RCD off of the site and it arrived today. I took it down to my local VW dealer and tried to get them to install it. Since I have the 2.5 I don't have the luxury of TDI/GTI owners with their sharkfin on the roof with the antennas built in. The guy at the dealership was really knowledge about (except about the existence of this site) but even he said it couldn't be done properly...the reasons will be at the bottom of the post. Sorry for the lame pics, my blackberry is only so good. Here is the visual install:
      Pry the plastic cover off with a removal tool/or your fingers

Remove the four screws with a T15

Gently pull out the unit to expose the connectors on the back

Release the main coupler carefully by lifting the gate on the bottom of the connector

Release the AM/FM connector and now you have a large cavity. Whats the rubber band for??

Just plug in the main coupler to the new unit and here is the interesting part..... the new unit has two AM/FM hookups. The one on the right is for the FM signal. But I only have one connector?!?!?!

Slide the unit back in and it on. You should get the passcode screen.

Enter your code and do a reset of the factory options found under setup.

Looks like it came right from the factory!

Now...here are my questions:
      The radio/CD/Aux all work just fine except the audio on the radio signal is very slightly distorted sometimes.
      1. Is there a connector/adapter for the two hookups on the back to the single cable from my car?
      2. Do I need to do a VAGCOM to tell the system I have the RCD installed to get better sound?
      3. Where can I purchase a Sat connector/cable to wire the car for Sirius?
      4. Lastly! How do I change the clock on this thing!! When I changed the clock on the drivers screen it changed automatically on the radio.
      I am trying to locate a users manual for this thing to help. Very easy install. Took my 20 min at most.
      Any help is appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-19-2010 11:53 PM #2
      cant answer your questions, but looks great [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI PP; 2018 VW Tiguan
      03-20-2010 11:15 AM #3
      This may be the cable you need:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/RNS-510-RN...1ca3e
      2016 VW GTI PP
      2018 VW Tiguan

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-20-2010 11:16 AM #4
      The radio gets it's time from the car. You can't set the clock on the radio.

7. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      2018 F-150 Raptor - 2004 R32
      03-20-2010 11:26 AM #5
      nice upgrade [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 (SOLD) - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R (SOLD) - '15 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '15 Tiguan R-Line (SOLD) - '15 S3 (SOLD) - '18 RS3 (SOLD) - '18 Raptor

8. 03-20-2010 10:05 PM #6
      I just picked up my MKVI and due to a dealer error I got roughly $900 in my favor, in leu of cash I asked for the upgraded RCD-510 verses the standard stock unit. I was told that the upgrade is rather easy and other than satellite everything will work just like in the TDI. I am waiting for a call back to have the upgrade done.
      In looking at the antenna leads it would appear that in order to make the satellite work I would need an antenna. I wonder if I could add an aftermarket unit and run the cabling to the rear hatch?
      Does the AM still work?
      What are your favorite features of the unit?

Vehicles
      2010 Golf 2.5
      03-20-2010 11:27 PM #7
      Couple questions....
      If you don't mind... where were you able to purchase this?
      Does it support touchscreen control of a device connected via bluetooth? I'd like to control my music without having to touch the device (either an ipod touch or a moto droid).
      Thanks.

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 12:00 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Abidubi »
      The radio gets it's time from the car. You can't set the clock on the radio.

Got that...remembered that when I set the factory radio. Was able to go in and reset the clock and now it's up and running in 24HR mode.

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 12:07 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by snitz4u »
      I just picked up my MKVI and due to a dealer error I got roughly $900 in my favor, in leu of cash I asked for the upgraded RCD-510 verses the standard stock unit. I was told that the upgrade is rather easy and other than satellite everything will work just like in the TDI. I am waiting for a call back to have the upgrade done.
      In looking at the antenna leads it would appear that in order to make the satellite work I would need an antenna. I wonder if I could add an aftermarket unit and run the cabling to the rear hatch?
      Does the AM still work?
      What are your favorite features of the unit?

You will need an antenna, I'm going to pull the unit and take better pics for this project. The sat plug is a FAKRA and I need to figure out how to fit a standard Sirius antenna to the FAKRA plug. I know there are adapters out there I just haven't found them. You will have to either run the antenna up to the roof like in the olden days of satellite radio antennas or place it inside the car. I am going to pull the headliner and move the wires up there for a more OE look. I'll post pictures when I get it figured out.
      BTW your dealer will charge you 5-6 hours or labor to run a new antenna on top of the parts. You'd be looking at 600 minimum for the job.
      The Am does not work. I found the PIN assignments for the RCD and the left connector which in the pic is still open is the FM2 aerial connector. The right connector which has my OE wire is the AM/FM aerial connector....but still the AM doesn't work. Going to be tricky this will be. If your dealer has a fix please post it!!
      Fav parts of the unit...touch screen/RDS/bluetooth streaming from my blackberry/sat radio when it will finally work

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 12:09 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by MyMorningJacket »
      Couple questions....
      If you don't mind... where were you able to purchase this?
      Does it support touchscreen control of a device connected via bluetooth? I'd like to control my music without having to touch the device (either an ipod touch or a moto droid).
      Thanks.

Purchased it here on Vortex. There is always someone selling their unit and installing the RNS. I do not have the MIDI controller installed (that comes later) so right now you can only use the touch screen for the radio and sat functions. I have my ipod touch running through the aux and I still operated it through the ipod.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI / 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225) / 1982 Jetta Diesel
      03-21-2010 01:05 AM #11
      You don't need to run the sat antenna to the rear hatch. they are usually little square black boxes, maybe 3/4" tall, 1.5" x 1.5". Just mount it on the dash.
      DRIVE: 2010 Golf TDI - 5K129L. 5R5R. 3FE, W79, 9W2, P83, 9VE, P71.
      DRIVE (less): 2001 TT Roadster
      PARK: 1982 Jetta Diesel

maxhedrm.montebellopark.com/blog

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 01:25 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by MaxHedrm »
      You don't need to run the sat antenna to the rear hatch. they are usually little square black boxes, maybe 3/4" tall, 1.5" x 1.5". Just mount it on the dash.

Right...that part I know. What I don't know is if I go buy that standard Sirius antenna from bestbuy, if it will plug into the back of the aerial connector or if I need a FAKRA connector/adapter.
      Still searching....anyone know?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MKVI GLI; Routan
      03-21-2010 10:05 AM #13
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      03-21-2010 03:42 PM #14
      You may want to ask the seller here if he has anything you could use to finish your install.
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...11957

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 09:56 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by BarryT82 »
      You may want to ask the seller here if he has anything you could use to finish your install.

I have located I think the answer to sirius through the tss-radio.com site and their sirius adapter and antenna. Now I have to figure out how to find a diversity unit/antenna/thingamagig to connect to the FM2 connector on the back of the 510.

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 10:17 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by BarryT82 »

And thanks for the link! That helped me find the right adapter.

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      03-21-2010 10:52 PM #17
      No problem

20. 03-23-2010 11:35 AM #18
      So I arrived at the Dealer this AM to have the unit installed and was told we should be able to make this work...
      I hear a bit of doubt in the inflection of the service advisor's voice, yesterday when they called I was told it wasn't a problem that they do it all the time. I asked if there would be any issues with receiving AM/FM radio, their reply was no.
      So the job should be done in an hour or so. I will post when they finish.

21. 03-23-2010 11:52 AM #19
      And the saga continues, I was just told that the radio is not in stock and that the sales dept was authorizing the service dept to remove a new unit from a model on the lot.
      Oh dear God, I cannot even begin to imagine what they plan on doing.

Vehicles
      03-23-2010 11:58 AM #20
      And the saga continues, I was just told that the radio is not in stock and that the sales dept was authorizing the service dept to remove a new unit from a model on the lot.
      Oh dear God, I cannot even begin to imagine what they plan on doing.

If you can, please get your service/parts dept. to give you a run down of how they the install with the antenna. I have the sirius part figured out but I don't know how to hook up the FM2/diversity antenna.
      I hope it goes well! You have a great dealer if they are going to cannibalize one of their other cars!

Vehicles
      03-23-2010 11:59 AM #21
      So I arrived at the Dealer this AM to have the unit installed and was told we should be able to make this work...
      I hear a bit of doubt in the inflection of the service advisor's voice, yesterday when they called I was told it wasn't a problem that they do it all the time. I asked if there would be any issues with receiving AM/FM radio, their reply was no.
      So the job should be done in an hour or so. I will post when they finish.

Since we don't have the sharkfin the diversity antenna is throwing me off. I did find part number 7L6051551 as the RNS antenna adapter but I don't know where to plug the other FM end into!

24. 03-23-2010 05:33 PM #22
      I picked up the car today, and behold no AM or SAT. I asked them prior to leaving if everything was working, however in my excitement to play with it I failed to check.
      I also cannot get the BT to stream, I have the iPhone 3GS and 3G. Neither phone recognizes the RCD-510 as a A2DP compatible device. So I need to do some more reading on the unit, and I may have to ultimately upgrade the BT module under the passenger seat ( if I remember correctly ).
      As for the AM radio unless I can splice the two antennas into one, I think it's a no go. I was reading:
      http://www.my-gti.com/1389/aer...-golf
      and I have concluded that since there is only only antenna lead that I should get reception with AM if I move the lead, If this works then I will look into splicing two cables into one.
      I am interested to see if the SAT works after attaching the Sirius aerial. if it does, I will try to find a way to get the trail Sirius subscription.
      In all, it looks 100% better than the older stock unit. I will be selling the stock unit, in hopes to get more money for more toys.

Vehicles
      03-23-2010 05:58 PM #23
      I picked up the car today, and behold no AM or SAT. I asked them prior to leaving if everything was working, however in my excitement to play with it I failed to check.
      I also cannot get the BT to stream, I have the iPhone 3GS and 3G. Neither phone recognizes the RCD-510 as a A2DP compatible device. So I need to do some more reading on the unit, and I may have to ultimately upgrade the BT module under the passenger seat ( if I remember correctly ).
      As for the AM radio unless I can splice the two antennas into one, I think it's a no go. I was reading:
      http://www.my-gti.com/1389/aer...-golf
      and I have concluded that since there is only only antenna lead that I should get reception with AM if I move the lead, If this works then I will look into splicing two cables into one.
      I am interested to see if the SAT works after attaching the Sirius aerial. if it does, I will try to find a way to get the trail Sirius subscription.
      In all, it looks 100% better than the older stock unit. I will be selling the stock unit, in hopes to get more money for more toys.

I should have my sirius aerial arrive this friday and with the weather's help will do the install friday or sat. I had the same issue with the BT but didn't think the 2.5 had the BT box. As fort the fm, i need to figure out where that should go, maybe install another fm antenna in the headliner?
      Let me know about the splicing.

26. 03-24-2010 04:56 AM #24
      Just curious but, if you move your aerial lead from the current placement to the other do you get the same or different results? Meaning if you move the FM connection to the AM do you get AM Radio but not FM radio?
      I guess in the end if it doesn't work it's not a big deal as I really don't listen to AM radio, but the principal is key here. I would think that Dr Ferdinand Porsche would roll in his grave if knew that the car came with a feature and I failed to keep that feature by upgrading the foundation of that feature.
      I may have to splice and place a diode on each side of the splice to prevent the the two channels from bleeding into the other.

Vehicles
      03-24-2010 10:41 AM #25
      Here is what I know. The left connector (AM/FM) on the back of the RCD-510 won't fit the single connector. The male/female housing is different. I am going to try tonight to see if I can get it in there in some way and let you know. I still can't find out anything about the other terrestrial antenna. I am about to call VW and see what they say. I also need to see a pic of inside of the sharky and exactly what the make up is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast