VWVortex.com - The Wacky Traffic Accident Pic Post
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 624 of 627 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627 LastLast
    Results 15,576 to 15,600 of 15672

Thread: The Wacky Traffic Accident Pic Post

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      02-14-2019 02:40 PM #15576
      Just a truck drivin' fool

Hits a cop and that ain't cool

https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Sa...is-police-car/

https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Sa...is-police-car/

According to a report from Fox News, the semi truck driver did attempt to brake for the traffic light, but he says that he hit a patch of ice and was unable to stop.

Police say that the truck driver was cited for “Operating Too Fast For Conditions” and they say that “This is a good reminder to drive within safe speeds so you are able to stop and/or avoid crashes when conditions deteriorate.”

However, many Facebook users who viewed the now viral video have pointed out that the police officer’s actions could have contributed to the crash as well.

Facebook user Harry Henry wrote, “The car next to him stopped. I wonder if the cop was busy doing something else(like being on a laptop while driving) and failed to see that the semi was not going to stop.”

Uswer Malinda Trimberger remarked that “Green doesn’t mean go, it means look both ways and then if its safe to move forward. Glad the police officer is ok. Bad luck for the semi, of all vehicles to hit ~ a police car!”
      Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 02-14-2019 02:55 PM #15577
      That Explorer held up amazingly well. Looks like the truck primarily hit at the A-pillar area which should be pretty strong, but that's still a good performance by the police vehicle.

4. 02-14-2019 02:57 PM #15578
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      There are a lot of intersections here without advanced left turn lights, more than half probably. It is normal practice to go into the intersection and wait to turn left and a lot of the time you do have to wait until the light is red before you can turn.

So, the semi truck driver was speeding but the white truck absolutely should not have continued unless he knew it was 100% clear.
      Yup.

Assuming BC-CA is the same as CA-US...

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      02-14-2019 02:58 PM #15579
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      That Explorer held up amazingly well. Looks like the truck primarily hit at the A-pillar area which should be pretty strong, but that's still a good performance by the police vehicle.
      The fact that they are both on slippery roads is also a big help. Less friction to hold the police vehicle in place and thus less energy transferred into crushing it.

Vehicles
      '14 ATS, '14 335i GT
      02-14-2019 03:43 PM #15580
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I do agree that the pickup driver completely misjudged the actions of the semi. He and others paid.

I was once told by a police officer that you shouldn't enter an intersection on yellow if you aren't able to also clear it on yellow. No way the semi would have cleared the intersection on yellow.
      *this actually happened in Canada

That's not what the law says in most (if not all) states. The law is that you can't enter (cross the stop bar) on red. Everything else is guidance. Stop on yellow if you can do so safety but it is legal to enter on yellow. All traffic signals are (should be) designed with an "all-red" phase that is calculated to allow a car that enters at exactly the moment the signal turns red to clear the intersection before cross traffic reaches their path.
      | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance | 2014 BMW 335i GT |

Vehicles
      T4 EUROVAN, MK3 GOLF GL, MK3 CABRIO, 1957 BEETLE
      02-14-2019 04:05 PM #15581
      I do agree that the pickup driver completely misjudged the actions of the semi. He and others paid.

I was once told by a police officer that you shouldn't enter an intersection on yellow if you aren't able to also clear it on yellow. No way the semi would have cleared the intersection on yellow.

i could not agree more w/ the officer on this.. if you cannot clear the yellow light and it is safe to stop, do so..
      southend polishing

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Civic Hatchback
      02-14-2019 04:41 PM #15582
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      *this actually happened in Canada

That's not what the law says in most (if not all) states. The law is that you can't enter (cross the stop bar) on red. Everything else is guidance. Stop on yellow if you can do so safety but it is legal to enter on yellow. All traffic signals are (should be) designed with an "all-red" phase that is calculated to allow a car that enters at exactly the moment the signal turns red to clear the intersection before cross traffic reaches their path.
      Vancouver area drivers seem to expect that people will stop on the yellow. In most of the places where I've driven, drivers expect vehicles to continue to enter the intersection while the light is yellow. I followed that approach for the first few yellows that I encountered in Vancouver, but discovered that I was the only one who wasn't stopping, and almost got hit by a left turner trying to clear the intersection. They are much more dedicated to stopping on yellows than most of the places where I've been to.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-15-2019 11:17 AM #15583
      Quote Originally Posted by seftonm View Post
      Vancouver area drivers seem to expect that people will stop on the yellow. In most of the places where I've driven, drivers expect vehicles to continue to enter the intersection while the light is yellow. I followed that approach for the first few yellows that I encountered in Vancouver, but discovered that I was the only one who wasn't stopping, and almost got hit by a left turner trying to clear the intersection. They are much more dedicated to stopping on yellows than most of the places where I've been to.
      That may or may not be true but if you are turning left and expect people to stop on yellow on a consistent basis, you are going to cause an accident before long. The simple fact is that you never have the right of way in that situation, the color of the light is almost irrelevant.

10. Member
      02-16-2019 02:10 AM #15584
      Good Lord

https://www.circa.com/story/2019/02/...n-suv-in-miami

WASHINGTON (CIRCA) — The driver of a Tesla officers say is responsible for a crash in Miami has been arrested, according to the Miami Beach Police Department.

The video was posted on Facebook. The police wrote that the Tesla was driving at 128 mph when it crashed into an Infiniti SUV, nearly cutting the other car in half. They said all passengers were transported to the hospital and luckily survived the collision.

The driver of the Tesla was arrested and faces felony charges.
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Locking it up because it's going to get worse mileage than a 1 legged dog with a hang over - yet stir up more crap than a starving catfish in a landfill.

Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      02-16-2019 02:14 AM #15585
      Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Dimento View Post
      Driving at 128 mph in Miami is just ludicrous, in any car.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      02-16-2019 04:00 AM #15586
      Lucky to be alive.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      Kamu .:R32
      02-16-2019 11:13 PM #15587

Vehicles
      02-16-2019 11:44 PM #15588
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Lucky to be alive.
      Ambulance was on scene quick enough.

15. 02-17-2019 03:49 AM #15589
      Quote Originally Posted by TaaT View Post
      Did people die? Is that a body you see flying out from the house?

Vehicles
      Kamu .:R32
      02-17-2019 05:33 AM #15590
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Did people die? Is that a body you see flying out from the house?
      No one died, but serious injuries.

Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      02-19-2019 06:45 PM #15591
      http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/399...-in-north-east

"Cleanup efforts are underway in North East this morning, after a semi truck full of ranch dressing was hit by a train."

"Both the train conductor and the driver of the truck are uninjured."

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      02-19-2019 09:41 PM #15592
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Obsession View Post
      http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/399...-in-north-east

"Cleanup efforts are underway in North East this morning, after a semi truck full of ranch dressing was hit by a train."

"Both the train conductor and the driver of the truck are uninjured."
      Lettuce give thanks that everyone's OK.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

Vehicles
      87 K-5 Blazer Bunch of broken Japanese stuff
      02-20-2019 10:44 AM #15593
      Interesting fender bender with mother nature. Struck by lightning while driving......
      https://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...ay/1794214447?

Quote Originally Posted by Skot53 View Post
      Damn you and your odd statehood.
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I mean if you're so paranoid that you think the government has nothing better to do than fuxk with random people then not sure what to tell you.

20. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      02-20-2019 11:29 AM #15594
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post
      Interesting fender bender with mother nature. Struck by lightning while driving......

Electrifying
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      02-20-2019 11:54 AM #15595
      Quote Originally Posted by funnee84bunny View Post

Just a big puddle of aluminum after that.

Vehicles
      02-27-2019 07:56 PM #15596
      @0:36 for the front view. Time to change the underwear.
      @2:25 for the rear view. Parts and cones fly.

23. 02-27-2019 09:33 PM #15597
      @0:36 for the front view. Time to change the underwear.
      @2:25 for the rear view. Parts and cones fly.
      Damn that was quite the save. But, then, I was surprised someone with that level of skill would merge back into traffic. I read the Youtube comments and He kept that thing off the wall with nearly inoperative brakes

Couldn't stop the car. The tire ripped the brake lines out of the rear. And left front tire flat spotted through to failure since it was unloaded. Only had a right front and left rear tire with air and no brakes

Vehicles
      02-27-2019 09:50 PM #15598

Vehicles
      02-28-2019 02:01 PM #15599

A Tesla Burned to a Crisp on a Vermont Lake. We Walked Out There and Found It.

The car hit a rock and burst into flame while the owners were ice fishing.

Over the weekend, a Tesla Model X caught fire on the frozen surface of Lake Champlain in Vermont. The fire happened around 8 p.m. on Sunday, and the fire almost completely consumed the vehicle.

A few news reports had mentioned the burned-up Tesla. So, we decided to walk out onto the lake and have a look:

The Shelburne Police Department tells Popular Mechanics that the owner of the vehicle took their Tesla onto the ice to go fishing, and that at some point during the expedition the car hit a rock. The car started making unusual noises, and shortly after that caught fire. No one was hurt.

The specific cause of the fire is as-yet unknown. People on Tesla forums who saw the crazy pictures began to speculate about insurance fraud or some other oddball explanation, but the most likely explanation would be a battery failure. If damaged, lithium-ion batteries can rapidly discharge their stored energy in the form of heat, leading to an inferno. The bigger the battery, the bigger the fire. Teslas necessarily have giant battery back, so if the car suffers sufficiently severe impact, it can go up in flames—as plenty of previous Tesla incidents have illustrated. (multiple links in original story embedded in this paragraph - click above link if desired)

For the time being, this Tesla's burned out husk remains on the lake, where Popular Mechanics photographed it on Wednesday afternoon. No word yet on what will become of the charred remains, but it's hard to imagine someone freeing the metal from the ice and dragging it away, so we'd have to guess these remains are bound for the bottom of the lake once springtime melts the ice.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      02-28-2019 02:25 PM #15600
      "The car hit a rock and burst into flame while the owners were ice fishing."

Damn. Autopilot out for a cruise all on its own, no driver or anything!
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Page 624 of 627 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627 LastLast