VWVortex.com - AutoExtremist.com: VW GTI "the best all-around enthusiast vehicle today. Period."
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: AutoExtremist.com: VW GTI "the best all-around enthusiast vehicle today. Period."

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-19-2010 05:39 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      I think you could do better than a stripper Mustang GT, quite honestly. This from somebody with seat time in a 2011 GT + Brembos and 3.73s and no other options. Spartan doesn't begin to describe it.

That said, the hot hatch class as a whole is trending away from its value proposition. The Speed3 is undercontented and the GTI is slowly being priced out of the sport compact segment that is largely going on a second generation of being able to outpace it.
      I don't think I would feel that bummed with a stripper Mustang GT. The only cars I've had were a 2001 3rd Gear Chirper, 2005 GTI, and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The most advanced feature any of my cars has had would be side airbags. Hell, I haven't even had a car with MP3 integration.

I'm inclined to agree that the hot hatch segment is a wee bit overpriced. I wonder if the hot hatches will migrate down to the subcompact cars in the near future. Heck, with the Aveo RS and a potential Fiesta SVT, I think we're already creeping in that direction.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      05-19-2010 05:42 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by jderpak View Post

Now sales determines the best all-around enthusiast vehicle? Then why isn't it the Mustang?
      This is the kind of crap I was talking about, you twist everything around to your liking. It sells well because it is a good car, he never said anything about sales and an enthusiast vehicle.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      05-19-2010 05:44 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This is the kind of crap I was talking about, you twist everything around to your liking. It sells well because it is a good car, he never said anything about sales and an enthusiast vehicle.
      Then please explain the relevance of sales to this discussion. I never said the GTI isn't a good car.

5. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      05-19-2010 05:51 PM #29
      Then please explain the relevance of sales to this discussion. I never said the GTI isn't a good car.
      Derrrrrrrrrrr.......you said it.

Now sales determines the best all-around enthusiast vehicle? Then why isn't it the Mustang?
      Be a man and own your words.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      05-19-2010 05:51 PM #30
      ex·trem·ist

 /ɪkˈstrimɪst/ Show Spelled[ik-stree-mist] Show IPA
      –noun

1.a person who goes to extremes, esp. in political matters.

2.a supporter or advocate of extreme doctrines or practices.

–adjective

3.belonging or pertaining to extremists.

Where did this article come from again? :p
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Vehicles
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      05-19-2010 05:52 PM #31

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      05-19-2010 05:57 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Shut up fairy.
      I am in no way taking sides, but with the anonymity of the internet this made me lol

9. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      North American German crap and German German crap
      05-19-2010 05:58 PM #33
      I own a GTI - that article is retarded.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-19-2010 06:02 PM #34
      This is really nothing new. Most auto pubs have been saying the same thing or similar ever since the mkV has been available. It is the standard for which all other sport compacts are judged. I think people are forgetting the term "all-around" when they are being arguementative. Someone listed a bunch of enthusiast cars including the Miata and the Z. Those cars are not nearly as good for a daily driven device in the real world, for most people, than the GTI. No one is saying that the Z has scorchingly better performance, but that;s only one dimension. And the Miata? Seriously? That's even less practical than the Z and it's slower than the GTI. The only category where the miata handily outshines the GTI is feel. But feel doesn't help when you have more than one other person to take with you or you have a load of stuff to carry. You know, when you have a life that doesn't just involve yourself and your car.

I did own a mkV GTI and it was a fantastic car. But I don't have much of a life outside of myself and my car. So a 2 seater would make great sense for me---and that's what I have after getting rid of the GTI. If I felt comfortable spending more money than I did on my current car, I would have very happily gotten a Z after the GTI. But I can tell you that in poor weather and on the very rare occassion that I have stuff/people to haul, the GTI with decent A/S tires was a better car than my current rwd 2-seater with A/S tires.

11. 05-19-2010 06:07 PM #35
      I guess my whole problem with this "well-rounded" nonsense is that an enthusiast vehicle, by definition, is not well-rounded. By buying an enthusiast vehicle, you're giving up, in some way or another, other attributes that may be deemed desirable in other vehicles... so the idea that one is "more well rounded" is just silly.
      Bowties (not the Chevy kind), tattoos, and mostly being completely undecided

Vehicles
      2017 WRX
      05-19-2010 06:41 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
      I guess my whole problem with this "well-rounded" nonsense is that an enthusiast vehicle, by definition, is not well-rounded. By buying an enthusiast vehicle, you're giving up, in some way or another, other attributes that may be deemed desirable in other vehicles... so the idea that one is "more well rounded" is just silly.
      Quite

Vehicles
      '13 392, '90 Miata, '11 Wrangler
      05-19-2010 06:48 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      And the Miata? Seriously? That's even less practical than the Z.
      The Z's rear cargo area is actually no more useful than a Miata's. From a practicality standpoint, they're about equal unless you really want the added security of a hardtop.

But I'm wayyyy off topic here.

Vehicles
      2009 GTi, 1990 G60 Corrado, 07 A4, 81 Scirocco
      05-19-2010 07:02 PM #38
      I absolutely love my mkv GTi... best car I've ever owned. For a small car, it has a lot going for it. Hauling capacity, interior size and style, handling, efficiency, tunable, external styling, manual trans, 2 or 4 doors, and it's just so fun to drive! It's not all about HP numbers... it's about power to weight...

15. 05-19-2010 07:08 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
      It's not all about HP numbers... it's about power to weight...
      Uhm... the GTI doesn't exactly win any power-to-weight contests in its segment either, so... I'm not sure what you mean here.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      05-19-2010 07:08 PM #40
      Truth. I'm fast realizing that my ideal $40k car is a $10k S2000 and a $30k SUV. You can change the ratios and the cars, but I'm over trying to have one "do it all" vehicle. I'll buy a practical box so I can have a silly impractical fun car at the same time.

Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      05-19-2010 07:09 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
      it's about power to weight...
      Then why the GTI?

18. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-19-2010 07:40 PM #42
      All enthusiasts should strive to own an automatic front wheel drive car.

Vehicles
      1984 Jetta GL. 1989 Golf GL. 1992 BMW 325I
      05-19-2010 07:48 PM #43
      I claim it was the best DRIVING vehicle in the segment, and that any decision not to get it would have to have been for reasons other than to get the best driving experience and performance available. I wouldn't say the CSS is the best "all around" enthusiast vehicle though (to me, that honour goes to the MS3).

Now waiting for Patrikman to misconstrue what I said, again.
      mazda 3 is an enthusiast vehicle?

it comes from a long line of.. uh.. cult classic... 626s..?

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      05-19-2010 07:51 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Lumis_Wolfy View Post

No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

21. 05-19-2010 07:52 PM #45

The family lineage of the Mazda3 would be the Protege and 323, not the 626. The last performance Protege was considered by many to be the best handling FWD vehicle since the Integra Type R.

Btw, he said "MS3", not "Mazda3", speaking specifically of the Mazdaspeed 3. The regular Mazda3 is as much an "enthusiast vehicle" as a base Golf is.

22. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-19-2010 07:55 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.
      It must be true- I read it on the internet!

23. Banned
      Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      05-19-2010 07:56 PM #47
      Well, duh. Everyone knows that it's the best all around package you can buy today. It's very much like saying that the sky is blue.

Vehicles
      1984 Jetta GL. 1989 Golf GL. 1992 BMW 325I
      05-19-2010 07:56 PM #48
      The family lineage of the Mazda3 would be the Protege and 323, not the 626. The last performance Protege was considered by many to be the best handling FWD vehicle since the Integra Type R.
      lol wut?

"best handling fwd vehicle". I'll take "Holy broad statement, batman" for 300, alex.

I've driven a few ITRs in my day, and a prelude SH gave it a run for it's money.

a CRX gave THAT a run for it's money.

enthusiast cars usually have a following. I've never seen a protege or, for that matter, more than one mazda 3 at any car show I've been to in my life.

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-19-2010 07:58 PM #49
      lol wut?

"best handling fwd vehicle". I'll take "Holy broad statement, batman" for 300, alex.

I've driven a few ITRs in my day, and a prelude SH gave it a run for it's money.

enthusiast cars usually have a following. I've never seen a protege or, for that matter, more than one mazda 3 at any car show I've been to in my life.
      Not sure if serious.

I think you are confusing driving enthusiasts with posers.

26. 05-19-2010 08:00 PM #50
      lol wut?

Uh... and the Prelude SH was discontinued in 2001, well before the MSP came out... what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by cougar
      best handling FWD vehicle since the Integra Type R.
      In case you're confused... "since" means "after"...

So then by your logic, I assume Honda Civic's are enthusiasts cars? Because a ****ton of them sure end up at car shows... :rofl:
      Last edited by cougar; 05-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast